Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vetting tenants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Proving credit worthiness is a very different thing to providing a bank statement. If a standardised, independent credit-checking procedure was introduced here, I'd be happy to go along with that.

In the meantime, I will not provide bank statements to a landlord. Or perhaps, I would be happy to provide a bank statement with everything redacted bar my monthly outgoing rent. Everything else on my statement is none of their business. In addition, they will have an employer's reference and prior landlord references.

Instead of looking for bank statements, tenants and landlords alike should be pushing for more structure and formality in the rental market.

And how exactly will a landlord find out, when taking a new tenant on, that the new tenant is credit worthy and can afford to meet his/her rent obligations?

Why is asking for bank statements out of order. Its a normal creditor/debtor situation?

If the person is in full time employment and can provide a reference from the previous LL then that should suffice. The vast vast majorioty of professional people are not going to rent a place they cant afford, its just not the done thing.

If nobody will accept the the request to provide bank statements then how is a LL going to find someone to take his place. You said something like 3 out of 10 would refuse I reckon you would be lucky to get 1 person in 10 willing to hand over bank statements. The ins and outs of my bank account are a private matter and I would refuse point blank to show it to a potential LL, blanking out everything bar rent leaving your account would be slightly better but no way would I be showing a salary figure to a LL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

dudara wrote: »
    Proving credit worthiness is a very different thing to providing a bank statement. If a standardised, independent credit-checking procedure was introduced here, I'd be happy to go along with that.

In the meantime, I will not provide bank statements to a landlord. Or perhaps, I would be happy to provide a bank statement with everything redacted bar my monthly outgoing rent. Everything else on my statement is none of their business. In addition, they will have an employer's reference and prior landlord references.

Instead of looking for bank statements, tenants and landlords alike should be pushing for more structure and formality in the rental market.

It was credit worthiness in the context of paying your rent each month and having a history of paying your rent on time.

Yes, this is what i was referring to earlier which a redacted statement would satisfy.The interest is in

1 - have they paid their previous three monthly rental amounts on time and via direct debit?

2 - do they have a balance in their account, or history of balances, so that if an unexpected cost arises during the month i.e. car repair, dental treatment etc that they will have sufficent money to pay me

3 - if possible, given time constraints, have they paid their final months rent i.e. not witholding the last or previous months rent

Like a broken record, again ill say the only way this can be addressed is adding accountability to both sides. At the moment the accountability is heavily weighted and disproportionally on the landlord.

If the person is in full time employment and can provide a reference from the previous LL then that should suffice. The vast vast majorioty of professional people are not going to rent a place they cant afford, its just not the done thing.

As has been discussed and mentioned numerous times a previous/current landlord reference is not worth the paper its written on.
    If nobody will accept the the request to provide bank statements then how is a LL going to find someone to take his place. You said something like 3 out of 10 would refuse I reckon you would be lucky to get 1 person in 10 willing to hand over bank statements. The ins and outs of my bank account are a private matter and I would refuse point blank to show it to a potential LL, blanking out everything bar rent leaving your account would be slightly better but no way would I be showing a salary figure to a LL.

I didnt say that.

Yes, a redaction would be a good start

It was credit worthiness in the context of paying your rent each month and having a history of paying your rent on time.

Yes, this is what i was referring to earlier which a redacted statement would satisfy.The interest is in

1 - have they paid their previous three monthly rental amounts on time and via direct debit?

2 - do they have a balance in their account, or history of balances, so that if an unexpected cost arises during the month i.e. car repair, dental treatment etc that they will have sufficent money to pay me

3 - if possible, given time constraints, have they paid their final months rent i.e. not witholding the last or previous months rent

Like a broken record, again ill say the only way this can be addressed is adding accountability to both sides. At the moment the accountability is heavily weighted and disproportionally on the landlord.

1: Why would you look for direct debits? Very few if anyone uses them for rent, some people use standing orders, other use cash. Personally I do a manual bank transfer every month.

2: Frankly the balance of an account is absolutely none of the LL's business and is something that nobody would be willing to show. In anycase not everyone keeps a balance in their current account, I never do I move any balance to savings at the end of the month. Also there are plenty of people up and down the country who use up their entire balance every month or even go into their overdraft yet never miss rent.

3: what if the previous LL agreed to withholding rent? You said LL references or letters are worth nothing so how can a person prove this?

I will say it again, a bank statement is a highly private document one which a LL should have no right to request.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

2: Frankly the balance of an account is absolutely none of the LL's business and is something that nobody would be willing to show. In anycase not everyone keeps a balance in their current account, I never do I move any balance to savings at the end of the month. Also there are plenty of people up and down the country who use up their entire balance every month or even go into their overdraft yet never miss rent.

This is a great point - there are many possible ways of managing your finances. Some people maintain a constant balance in an account, others move money between different accounts as required. A balance really doesn't mean much. People could game the system to show artificially healthy bank balances.

What matters is credit worthiness - have they a track record of making payments on time, all the time? Right now, without any formal private credit scoring in Ireland, the best form of evidence for this is proof of outgoing payments plus previous landlord references (even with the obvious scope for gaming that system also).

1: Why would you look for direct debits? Very few if anyone uses them for rent, some people use standing orders, other use cash. Personally I do a manual bank transfer every month.

Standing order/direct debit. Either or as it proves that the person has the money in their account at the same time each month. Makes the landlord paying his bills easier also.

Manual transfer is fine but some people forget for a day or two. Not the end of the world, but the above is preferable.

In this day and age, with the advances of mobile and phone banking, what percentage of renters pay by cash? Anyways, thered be a record of them withdrawing cash at the same time each month.

Its the definition of his business. Please see my earlier posts.
    3: what if the previous LL agreed to withholding rent? You said LL references or letters are worth nothing so how can a person prove this?

I will say it again, a bank statement is a highly private document one which a LL should have no right to request.

Why would a landlord agree to withholding rent. S/He'd be some gob****e.

Highly private - get over yourself. Youre entering into a contract as an adult, which the landlord has significant downside risk to a bad tenant and youre being asked to prove youre credit worthy. Its not a bloke youve met down the bar asking you to see your transaction history out of curiosity. Theres a reason for it like any agency that provides you with credit or an asset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Standing order/direct debit. Either or as it proves that the person has the money in their account at the same time each month. Makes the landlord paying his bills easier also.

Manual transfer is fine but some people forget for a day or two. Not the end of the world, but the above is preferable.

In this day and age, with the advances of mobile and phone banking, what percentage of renters pay by cash? Anyways, thered be a record of them withdrawing cash at the same time each month.

Its the definition of his business. Please see my earlier posts.

Highly private - get over yourself. Youre entering into a contract as an adult, which the landlord has significant downside risk to a bad tenant and youre being asked to prove youre credit worthy. Its not a bloke youve met down the bar asking you to see your transaction history out of curiosity. Theres a reason for it like any agency that provides you with credit or an asset

That's not very nice. I consider my bank statements to be private and none of a LL's business. Would you mind a prospective tenant having a goo at yours to make sure you've money put aside in case the house needs repairs? Or to make sure there are monthly transactions of rent being credited so the tenant knows you're not operating below the radar and collecting rent in cash and possibly not declaring? Mortgage payments so they don't need to worry about what will happen in the case of default and the bank wading in? Different when the shoe is on the other foot I suppose.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    That's not very nice. I consider my bank statements to be private and none of a LL's business. Would you mind a prospective tenant having a goo at yours to make sure you've money put aside in case the house needs repairs? Or to make sure there are monthly transactions of rent being credited so the tenant knows you're not operating below the radar and collecting rent in cash and possibly not declaring?

Please see my previous posts

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'd advise you to rethink your posting style if you wish to continue posting here.
    You already have one warning for petty squabbling, if you can't interact with other posters in a civil manner then it would be preferable if you didn't post.

• Advertisement

Plenty do, look how often you see it mentioned on this forum. Personally I have only been renting for a few years and have lived in three different places this is the first one where I don't pay cash.

As for the regular withdrawal, my last LL asked for the rent at different times of the month and would sometimes go two or even three months without collecting the rent.

My LL agreed to it without any hassle.

Please see my previous posts

All 370? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I'm not a LL, but currently a tenant (for the past 3 years).
    In my experience, I'd expect them to look for;
    Job or college references,
    All or most previous LL references which includes the name and address.

If advertising on a site like daft/myhome, DON'T lie in the description, and make it out to be "a must see" and have all the frills.
    That puts me off, because it sounds like they need it rented, and if it has been on the market for more than 2-3 months, with a lot of page views, somethings wrong.

State clearly If you do /don't allow pets/children, or whatever.
    Is the house child friendly? Is it suited for a single person? adult couple or family?
    Plus, put GOOD & CLEAR pictures of EVERY room up. If there is only 1 or 2 photos, alarm bells start ringing because it gives (me) the impression that they are hiding something.

Is the house well furnished? Is the style & furniture dated or modern?

Personally;
    I wouldn't be comfortable giving bank statements, I also think it's personal.

I don't like apartments advertised by an EA. I have always dealt with the LL themselves. They don't mess about, and there is no waiting for days for a confirmation call back on about a possible repair, new appliances, etc.

Oh, and make sure you are aware and keep up to date on tenant and landlord rights and responsibilities, law, etc.

Hope a tenants view helps :-)
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Personally I view bank statements as a sort of poor man's credit check. It's all we have in the absence of an Experian or Schufa type company.

That's not very nice. I consider my bank statements to be private and none of a LL's business. Would you mind a prospective tenant having a goo at yours to make sure you've money put aside in case the house needs repairs? Or to make sure there are monthly transactions of rent being credited so the tenant knows you're not operating below the radar and collecting rent in cash and possibly not declaring? Mortgage payments so they don't need to worry about what will happen in the case of default and the bank wading in? Different when the shoe is on the other foot I suppose.

Youre equating the two outcomes which means youre not understanding the situation.

In the example i provided in earlier posts, a landlord can potentially be out of pocket by 20k from a bad tenant who does not pay his rent or is overstaying. This is from anecdotal evidence and the advice Threshold is handing out to tenants quite openly these days is to overstay. This may or may not include paying the rent due.

If you can tell me of a situation where a tenant is out of pocket by 20k because of a non performing landlord, im all ears.

Plenty do, look how often you see it mentioned on this forum. Personally I have only been renting for a few years and have lived in three different places this is the first one where I don't pay cash.

As for the regular withdrawal, my last LL asked for the rent at different times of the month and would sometimes go two or even three months without collecting the rent.

That maybe the case, but a lot of people who do rent on this forum dont mention that they pay by bank transfer - doesnt mean cash is the norm. In my experience, and the majority of experiences, is that the landlord/tenant relationship is a formal one and paying by cash or at irregular intervals is very informal and not common.
    My LL agreed to it without any hassle.

My whole point in this thread is about increasing accountability. In any situation in life where people and money are involved, a lack of regulation or accountability leads to abuses of the system. If you knew that you were obliged for your next rental property to show past and regular payments of rent, then the situation you described above would not occur out of self interest.

All im saying is that the weighting of responsibility has swung too far in favour of tenants and needs to be counter balanced. There are tenants abusing the system which give the good ones a bad name. This causes friction in any landlord/tenant relationship due to the ability of a tenant to shaft them. I say this as a landlord and a tenant.

Youre equating the two outcomes which means youre not understanding the situation.

In the example i provided in earlier posts, a landlord can potentially be out of pocket by 20k from a bad tenant who does not pay his rent or is overstaying. This is from anecdotal evidence and the advice Threshold is handing out to tenants quite openly these days is to overstay. This may or may not include paying the rent due.

If you can tell me of a situation where a tenant is out of pocket by 20k because of a non performing landlord, im all ears.

I take it that's a no then. I am not trying to equate the two outcomes. I am simply asking would it be ok to demand a bank statement from a LL (and providing possible reasons for this) so that a tenant does not end up with the hosue falling down around them for want of repairs or being turfed out on the street with their children and struggling to find somewhere to live. Or perhaps this doesn't matter to you. Being out of pocket is a bigger deal than ending up on the street. Is money the only language you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I take it that's a no then. I am not trying to equate the two outcomes. I am simply asking would it be ok to demand a bank statement from a LL (and providing possible reasons for this) so that a tenant does not end up with the hosue falling down around them for want of repairs or being turfed out on the street with their children and struggling to find somewhere to live. Or perhaps this doesn't matter to you. Being out of pocket is a bigger deal than ending up on the street. Is money the only language you understand?

Sums it up in a nutshell. Thank you

All im saying is that the weighting of responsibility has swung too far in favour of tenants and needs to be counter balanced. There are tenants abusing the system which give the good ones a bad name. This causes friction in any landlord/tenant relationship due to the ability of a tenant to shaft them. I say this as a landlord and a tenant.

I totally agree that a tenants have too many rights in a lot of situations and its something that would concern me if I were renting a place.

However looking at bank statements etc and paying rent by transfer rather than cash is not really the answer. LL need to be given more power to throw out tenants who are not paying rent or damaging property etc. Its nonsensical that they can stay in a property for months and months rent free while waiting for the PRTB to rule etc.

A LL should have the right to turf out someone with no notice who isn't paying rent, this would clean up a lot of the problems and be a much better tool for LL than looking at bank statements as people would know if they dont pay rent its good luck, out the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only folk who have the right or need to see my bank statements are Social Welfare when I apply for RA or any other benefits. They ensure I am paying full rent properly and have no big balance and what money I have coming in. Because this is public money. Else no one has that right. Period.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    The only folk who have the right or need to see my bank statements are Social Welfare when I apply for RA or any other benefits. They ensure I am paying full rent properly and have no big balance and what money I have coming in. Because this is public money. Else no one has that right. Period.

I would have no problem showing bank statements to a bank either, they are a proper financial institution and will need access to them. Your accountant will also need access to your bank statements if you are using one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I totally agree that a tenants have too many rights in a lot of situations and its something that would concern me if I were renting a place.

However looking at bank statements etc and paying rent by transfer rather than cash is not really the answer. LL need to be given more power to throw out tenants who are not paying rent or damaging property etc. Its nonsensical that they can stay in a property for months and months rent free while waiting for the PRTB to rule etc.

A LL should have the right to turf out someone with no notice who isn't paying rent, this would clean up a lot of the problems and be a much better tool for LL than looking at bank statements as people would know if they dont pay rent its good luck, out the gap.

I'm always reminded of a show called 'Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away', which follows the court bailiffs in the UK repo cars and property following court proceedings.

The interesting thing is that they are granted powers in some instances to enter the property by force if needs be, change the locks, remove the tenants and get them to take all their stuff out in a matter of hours. In some cases they can even seize personal items of value to cover the debt. Now I have no idea how long or costly it is to get to that point but there are numerous instances where they are clearly staying as long as possible. This is evident when they say things like 'I wasn't expecting the judgment til next month' and the bailiffs tell them the landlord applied to the high court for a quicker resolution.

This is clearly what needs to be done in Ireland. You get a judgment and have the bailiffs come clear them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I'd give anyone who asked to see bank statements a short shrift. A landlord is not qualified to assess someone's ability to pay based on bank statements. I wonder if requesting bank statements would even be legal under the Data Protection Act?

One simple check I don't think I saw in the OP when assessing previous landlord references is to ask the new tenants to provide a recent bill (or headers of) from their previous address. You can then cross-reference this against the PRTB register to ensure at the very least that they're not bullsh1tting you about previously renting.

Of course, the referee could be fake, but you could also ask some leading questions to check that one out too - "What's the address of the property", "how long have they been there" and so on.

You can perform the same simple check on employers too. Most will give you a written reference I suppose, but you can do simple checks like googling the company to make sure they actually exist. Ring the main reception and ask to speak to the person who signed the document. You may not be put through, but at the very least it'll tell you if that person exists. If you do get put through you can just say you were verifying that a reference was valid and thank them for their time. If you're really cheeky you could ask them whether they actually provided the reference, but that's probably going too far.

I take it that's a no then. I am not trying to equate the two outcomes.

You have equated it directly with your statement below. I dont know how you could have be more definitive in your equating.
    Different when the shoe is on the other foot I suppose.
    I am simply asking would it be ok to demand a bank statement from a LL (and providing possible reasons for this)

If you'd have cared to read my previous posts, you would have seen that it would not be an issue for me as id have had all the forms as part of my tax returns to provide. Please read my previous posts to get an view of my opinion, not taking snippets.

so that a tenant does not end up with the hosue falling down around them for want of repairs

House falling down around them. Should be fairly obvious when viewing a property if its falling down. It hardly falls into a "falling down state" during a one or two year lease. If they think it is falling down, they can always issue their 30 day notice and leave. Can the landlord get a non paying tenant out in 30 days?
    being turfed out on the street with their children and struggling to find somewhere to live. Or perhaps this doesn't matter to you. Being out of pocket is a bigger deal than ending up on the street. Is money the only language you understand?

This is populist hyperbole and nothing but the creation of an emotive and imaginary situation to achieve your end goal as painting me as only caring about money. Nobody in Ireland gets turfed out onto the street. A non paying tenant can remain in a property for over a year before being legally evicted. Can they not find somewhere to live in a year?

If they are evicted they can approach the relevant county council and they will house them in a hotel. Bewleys in Newlands Cross is where theyre sending people now.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd give anyone who asked to see bank statements a short shrift. A landlord is not qualified to assess someone's ability to pay based on bank statements. I wonder if requesting bank statements would even be legal under the Data Protection Act?

I have asked to see the bank statement in the presence of the individual. I am not holding it on file, therefore there is no data protection act being breached

You have equated it directly with your statement below. I dont know how you could have be more definitive in your equating.

If you'd have cared to read my previous posts, you would have seen that it would not be an issue for me as id have had all the forms as part of my tax returns to provide. Please read my previous posts to get an view of my opinion, not taking snippets.

House falling down around them. Should be fairly obvious when viewing a property if its falling down. It hardly falls into a "falling down state" during a one or two year lease. If they think it is falling down, they can always issue their 30 day notice and leave. Can the landlord get a non paying tenant out in 30 days?

This is populist hyperbole and nothing but the creation of an emotive and imaginary situation to achieve your end goal as painting me as only caring about money. Nobody in Ireland gets turfed out onto the street. A non paying tenant can remain in a property for over a year before being legally evicted. Can they not find somewhere to live in a year?

If they are evicted they can approach the relevant county council and they will house them in a hotel. Bewleys in Newlands Cross is where theyre sending people now.

1.I equated the act of requesting a bank statement, not the reasons for so doing. Please try to keep up.

2. I was not specifically referring to you practicing tax evasion

3. I have lived in places where the place may not be "falling down" but is still f.ucking hazardous for want of repairs. Exposed wires in a hotpress. Back of an oven catching fire. An electric storage heater spontaneously combusting in the middle of the night. Many of these things were not immediately noticeable. But yeah once the walls are not actually falling down....

I think a natural follow on from this would be a credit rating type situation whereby tenants are ranked on their past ability to pay and some other criteria like the condition the property was left in. This would have to be performed by an independent third party like in other countries.

Tenants with high ratings could negotiate lower rents, could potentially pay lower deposits and would be better candidates for long term secure leases. This is similar to countries differing bond prices, depending on their credit worthiness. The country you are, the less you pay to service your debt.

The simple case in Ireland is that this doesnt exist and good tenants pay indirectly for the indiscretion of bad tenants. If there was a way to differentiate the two, as i have described above, then the good tenants would ultimately benefit. As the majority of tenants are good, this would benefit the vast majority of tenants and shaft the bad, as opposed to the opposite now. The problem is you will have the Joe Duffy callers creating noise about this will turf families out onto streets and landlords are greedy uncaring people and ultimately stiffle the debate with the result being that the majority of people and society are not better off in the long run and the same issues will keep rolling over from generation to generation.

1.I equated the act of requesting a bank statement, not the reasons for so doing. Please try to keep up.

And i have said that in asking for them its a way of the landlord mitigating their risk of losing 20k but the same does not apply to a tenant and then you equated the two outcomes. I quoted you verbatim in it.

Will i get third time lucky in saying that if you read my previous posts in this thread, youd have understood that.
    2. I was not specifically referring to you practicing tax evasion

I know you wernt. I was merely stating that their available if requested.
    3. I have lived in places where the place may not be "falling down" but is still f.ucking hazardous for want of repairs. Exposed wires in a hotpress. Back of an oven catching fire. An electric storage heater spontaneously combusting in the middle of the night. Many of these things were not immediately noticeable. But yeah once the walls are not actually falling down....

Well, you know what to do in that case. Issue your 30 days notice and leave. Can you tell me how quickly a landlord can remove non performing tenants? Hint - its in my previous posts

I think a natural follow on from this would be a credit rating type situation whereby tenants are ranked on their past ability to pay and some other criteria like the condition the property was left in. This would have to be performed by an independent third party like in other countries.

Tenants with high ratings could negotiate lower rents, could potentially pay lower deposits and would be better candidates for long term secure leases. This is similar to countries differing bond prices, depending on their credit worthiness. The country you are, the less you pay to service your debt.

The simple case in Ireland is that this doesnt exist and good tenants pay indirectly for the indiscretion of bad tenants. If there was a way to differentiate the two, as i have described above, then the good tenants would ultimately benefit. As the majority of tenants are good, this would benefit the vast majority of tenants and shaft the bad, as opposed to the opposite now. The problem is you will have the Joe Duffy callers creating noise about this will turf families out onto streets and landlords are greedy uncaring people and ultimately stiffle the debate with the result being that the majority of people and society are not better off in the long run and the same issues will keep rolling over from generation to generation.

Could we also have one for landlords based on retention of deposits?

• Advertisement

And i have said that in asking for them its a way of the landlord mitigating their risk of losing 20k but the same does not apply to a tenant and then you equated the two outcomes. I quoted you verbatim in it.

Will i get third time lucky in saying that if you read my previous posts in this thread, youd have understood that.

I know you wernt. I was merely stating that their available if requested.

Well, you know what to do in that case. Issue your 30 days notice and leave. Can you tell me how quickly a landlord can remove non performing tenants? Hint - its in my previous posts

I did not equate the outcomes. I equated the act of requesting a statement. if you can't understand this simple concept then I am afraid I can't help you.

30 days notice is not much good if you've been seriously injured or worse by exposed electric cables on an immersion tank or the place has almost burned to the ground because a storage heater has caught fire. Luckily the dog woke us and we had time to call the fire brigade. Doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened.

I am well aware that it is easier for a tenant to leave than it is to evict one....but that is not really the point. You are kind of just arguing that one with yourself at this stage :)

My inital query (and one that I not with interest appears to be still o/s) is if it is acceptable for a tenant to request a statement. The reasons for so doing are clearly going to be different. I don't know why you insist on arguing this point - I think it is fairly obvious.

Advertisement