Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major Crash In Kerry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

And foreigners in the other car.

are they not from the uk, which drive on the same side of the road as us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Ask any Gardai off the record? Are you smoking something?

Tell us when the Gardai were properly resourced(e.g. During the Celtic Tiger era) how they stopped road deaths?

No I don't actually smoke.

The Gardaí will tell you off the record. You mustn't know any or maybe they aren't the right ones who knows? It's a fact under resourced Gardaí aren't putting up as many roadblocks as normal and the idiots out on the road who take chances know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you are talking about traffic volume then they're not needed. If it's road safety then every road should be dual carriage way.

that makes no sense. What about people driving the wrong way???

Road safety would take more cars off the roads instead of building more, if it just wanted to reduce deaths

Within a radius of the airport (assuming the airport is taken seriously). For sake of argument, i would say N21->N22 and N23.

I know, its a waste of money saving a few lives sure

I would question the need for the DC, there are other ways for reducing fatalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

......ts no coincidence that during 2007-2009 (as other poster points out) that injuries went down from 7500 odd to 700 odd during an unprecedented time of upgraded roads. The facts speak for themselves.

Your numbers for injuries are not correct. 2012, for example, saw close on 8,000 injuries in road traffic accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭thadg

where it happened there used to be one of them "accident black spot" signs. farranfore to Killarney is a disaster of a road, and everyone travels on it at 60- 80kph

No I don't actually smoke.

The Gardaí will tell you off the record. You mustn't know any or maybe they aren't the right ones who knows? It's a fact under resourced Gardaí aren't putting up as many roadblocks as normal and the idiots out on the road who take chances know it.

When did roadblocks ever stop accidents?

We have over 4,000 people getting penalty points every week, at a time you tell me the Gardai are whispering about lack of resources.

Blame the drivers, not the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

KC161 wrote: »
    driver stupidity is a factor in a good few accidents

This.

Not commenting on this particular accident obviously, but generally speaking, there's only much enforcement and resources can offset the sheer determination of some people to drive like fools.

efb wrote: »
    I would question the need for the DC, there are other ways for reducing fatalities.

Nobody said they were needed.

Nobody is disputing other factors would not work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

4 helicopters were used and 1 aircraft was put on standby.

2 coastguard and 2 air corps helicopters landed and the air corp plane was on standby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

that makes no sense. What about people driving the wrong way???

In fairness that's quite rare. Motorways and good dual carriage ways ensure everyone is travelling in the same direction and eliminates dangerous situations like cars pulling out from feeder roads and overtaking into oncoming traffic.

The Cork to Mallow road was fairly notorious for fatalities before they put in cables to keep cars on their own side of the road.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    In fairness that's quite rare. Motorways and good dual carriage ways ensure everyone is travelling in the same direction and eliminates dangerous situations like cars pulling out from feeder roads and overtaking into oncoming traffic.

The Cork to Mallow road was fairly notorious for fatalities before they put in cables to keep cars on their own side of the road.

You can still have pile ups etc.

Is there a feasible way to reduce deaths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

thadg wrote: »
    are they not from the uk, which drive on the same side of the road as us.

Correct
    It is understood that British family (two adults and three children) were
    travelling in the rented Peugeot vehicle.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/miracle-as-14-escape-death-in-horror-road-smash-30868611.html

Nobody said they were needed.

Nobody is disputing other factors would not work.

So why make the suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

When did roadblocks ever stop accidents?

We have over 4,000 people getting penalty points every week, at a time you tell me the Gardai are whispering about lack of resources.

Blame the drivers, not the authorities.

Only 4,000. There you have it. How are so many getting away with driving drunk or driving whilst using their mobile smart phone (which is an epidemic now)? Lack of enforcement and our pathetic justice system. Caught driving drunk? wave your licence goodbye forever. Caught driving whilst using your phone? Three strikes and it's gone forever. We need to get tough on these scumbags and our police force need to be given the resources to bring these criminals to justice.

Anyway im done here. Hope all are safe and make it out of the hospital ok

Only 4,000. There you have it. How are so many getting away with driving drunk or driving whilst using their mobile smart phone (which is an epidemic now)? Lack of enforcement and our pathetic justice system. Caught driving drunk? wave your licence goodbye forever. Caught driving whilst using your phone? Three strikes and it's gone forever. We need to get tough on these scumbags and our police force need to be given the resources to bring these criminals to justice.

and watch them get off on a technicality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

But sure the police force are too busy protecting irish water workers ffs,any update on the injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

Must have been Donegal people in Kerry.

Serious road accidents can only occur in Donegal, or so we are led to believe, so how did this happen ?

• Advertisement

You can still have pile ups etc.

Of course but they're very rare. Motorways are far safer than single carriageway roads. A concrete divider and crash barriers go a long way to reducing the harm a bad driver can do to himself and others.
    Is there a feasible way to reduce deaths?

Well we seem to have done quite a good job of reducing deaths with safer roads, penalty points, stricter alcohol limits, stigmatising of drink driving, policing and safer cars.

Keep doing what we're doing I guess?

Edit: The Coastguard Helo just came in again.

but DC's aren't feasible in areas of low traffic volume, so the others are more feasible

Anyway im done here. Hope all are safe and make it out of the hospital ok

You're delirious now!

You think close on 250,000 drivers per year with penalty points is a small number?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

That's a horrendous bend ... It comes out of nowhere. Signage is ****e around it.....

But sure the police force are too busy protecting irish water workers ffs,any update on the injured?

It's the Gardai.
    Cop on.

Your faux concern is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

But sure the police force are too busy protecting irish water workers ffs

Well they wouldn't have to be protecting them if those workers with not being harassed, intimidated and threatened with violence when doing their jobs would they?

What's with all the axe-grinding? Cop on lads.

but DC's aren't feasible in areas of low traffic volume, so the others are more feasible

I agree. Cable/concrete dividers, traffic calming, crash barriers, flyovers, straightening dangerous bends etc would probably suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Karl Stein wrote: »
    What's with all the axe-grinding? Cop on lads.

I will tell you why because these PR quango ghouls on massive saleries will claim success on the news knowing that its just a money making exercise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

It's the Gardai.
    Cop on.

Your faux concern is pathetic.

I'm a bus driver myself fool, so my concern is genuine,troll off to another thread for yourself

Advertisement