Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you feel inferior?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I would see a nice car and my eyes would scream: "it's not who I am! I love cars! I love driving! I drive this only because I need some cash saved up, before I can get something decent again!"

Hee hee, I remember I was the same when I had my '97 Polo. It was a means to an end at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

Not jealousy, but I do sometimes feel a tad of respect when I see something very understated or unique like an Audi S8 or GT86.

Fair enough the new 5 series is a lovely car, but my god they're so common. The Lexus advert which says "one thing's for sure, they made their own minds up" about Lexus drivers, implying that people who buy German are sheep is somewhat true. I much prefer to see something a bit specialof different on the road than your standard model, no matter how much it cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

Protocol for me is to admire the better car, thumbs up to the driver, and move on.

I am more than happy with my cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Wellactually

I have a bmw touring, 98 model.

Last week when parking a teenager said `nice car`, followed by `things must be going well for you its 2014`, I actually got a good laugh outa that at how people are perceived by the reg or status of their car, and im more than happy with my soon to be 17 year old car, its serviced, taxed, ncted and like others have said owes me absolutely nothing, in fact I hope to get as long as I Can outa it before having to change.

More to the point of the post, no I wouldn't feel inferior at all beside anything on the road, I might admire it or think nice but wouldn't give it much thought beyond that.

Could have been worse OP if you were admiring him from a bus stop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Never jealousy, only admiration. That said I know I'm having more fun than vast majority in my little Mazda.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I have a bmw touring, 98 model.

Last week when parking a teenager said `nice car`, followed by `things must be going well for you its 2014`, I actually got a good laugh outa that at how people are perceived by the reg or status of their car, and im more than happy with my soon to be 17 year old car, its serviced, taxed, ncted and like others have said owes me absolutely nothing, in fact I hope to get as long as I Can outa it before having to change.

More to the point of the post, no I wouldn't feel inferior at all beside anything on the road, I might admire it or think nice but wouldn't give it much thought beyond that.

Could have been worse OP if you were admiring him from a bus stop :)

The reg thing drives me mental! By their logic a 2014 Kia C'eed is ALWAYS better than any older car. So you could drive a Porsche, Ferrari, Mercedes, Beemer, Rolls ROyce, it doesn't matter, but the Kia is better, because it's newer and shinier. Mmmhhh! Shiny!
    This is also reinforced by the RSA where they say sh*t like "we have to get 10 year old banger death traps off our roads!" and the unbelievable insurance companies here where they refuse to quote for anything over 10 years.
    The mindset of 90% of the population as regards cars is ill informed, idiotic, narrow-minded and just downright ignorant, there's no nice way of putting it. And the saddest part is that the RSA, the government and insurance companies buy into this sh*t and reinforce it with their constant onslaught if bullsh*t.
    By that logic a 5 year old car with shot brakes, suspension and engine with a careless owner that wouldn't even know how to open the bonnet is far, far safer than a 10 year old car that has been meticulously serviced from day 1 by a careful owner.
    And what is the root of this insanity? The motor industry. It seems that every one of their schemes are immediately put into action, even completely braindead sh*t like the 1X1/1X2 reg bullsh*t, which has to be about as useful an idea as a chocolate teapot.
    They are only too happy to say "Oh yes, we will get all these bangers and deathtraps off the road and sell people shiny new Micras and other sh*tboxes"
    Ireland as a country is not openly hostile to cars, but it's like we're ashamed of them, so we will buy something small, tinny, sh*tty and boring, because heaven help us if we actually owned cars we enjoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

I find it very motivating to be honest. If I see someone in something 100k + and new, it inspires me to work harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Patww79 wrote: »

FYP :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I don't really feel inferior, sometimes something special will pull up beside me and I'll admire it, but inside I'm thinking... " you keep that car nice and clean until the depreciation has made it worth a fraction if what it cost,and then I'll buy it and get the same satisfaction you have every time you drive it"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Fiona

I do a bit.... but then I smile and think to myself I have a classic in the garage which is still worth the same price today that I paid for it 4 years ago :D

Advertisement