Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you feel inferior?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fireblades eat sportscars (it's their natural prey), if a Porsche pulls up beside me when I'm on the bike I just smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

never begrudge/feel inferior to anyone.
    it's great if someone else wants a fancy/expensive/whatever car.
    i have a nearly 4 yto ibiza. owned by me, in great condition, just serviced and due it's nct in two weeks and i'm happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

re Porsche, I would bet that when he looks at the first full service bill he will still have a slight involuntary wince........ and if he doesn't good luck to him.

Reminds me of a guy I was chatting to on holiday, he was apoplectic about the cost of replacement windscreen wiper on his Porsche Cayenne.. very funny at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

apoplectic - that's my word of the day, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

When you see a much nicer car than yours? Especially when you think your car is quite nice?

A brand new 911 Carrera 4S pulled up beside me the other day. It was very striking. I couldn't help wondering how happy the bloke driving it must be. I also felt pathetic as I laboured home in my 8 year old Golf.

I don't feel inferior, but at times I do feel like a fraud! I earned my monies; saved them and went out in May this year and bought my 2011. That was a new-ish car for me, but it's far far from this type of car that I was raised.

Truth be known, if my Late Loving Dad were alive, I wouldn't have spent the monies on this but would have spent some money on my auld 2001; but I saw someone drive one, one day and fell in love with it so when looking for a car in May last I only set my sights on this & bought one.

Often I'd see older cars out there being driven by people of my Late Dads' era and actually feel bad :o as it is far far from this that I was raised.

Don't feel inferior, just feel like a fraud at times. People have tried to make me feel better (worked hard; saved ; bought something that I loved...) when I tell them this, but I can't help how I feel when I see the above.

Does that make sense?
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

bladespin wrote: »
    Fireblades eat sportscars (it's their natural prey), if a Porsche pulls up beside me when I'm on the bike I just smile.

Same with the Valk. Don't be fooled by it's size .... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

spurious wrote: »
    I can't see what anyone sees in Porsche cars.
    It's likely a man thing...I just think they're a great piece if engineering. The long history and racing pedigree is fairly impressive too. Apparently they handle beautifully as well.

It was from this perspective that I felt a little lost...I don't really mind how much money the chap has, I just hope he bought the car for some of the reasons I mention and not purely to show off.

A girl I know had the means to buy a new 911 and test drove one (after the dealer tried to sell her a Boxster:)). She said it was utterly stunning to drive. However she bought a Mini JCW instead. Why? She said she couldn't face the 'wanker' image associated with the 911.
    I suppose most folks assume you buy a 911 to flaunt wealth, whereas oftentimes they're bought by enthusiasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

corktina wrote: »
    i never feel inferior. My car is 10 years old but is better than most cars I see. I rarely see a car that is more desirable to me than my own, mostly blandmobiles. (My car also pretty quick and I have a huge penis

A true cork man never feels inferior!

Limerick owners of VAG/merc/range rovers would need tough skin - you will never have one as new and as high specced as certain subsets of the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a just about 10 year old Audi A6 Quattro with a 3.0 TDI motor under the bonnet and a far higher spec than most - amazing really considering it's an Irish car, not an import.

Sure the tax is a killer and I wouldn't mind a refresh model but even browsing on Done Deal, anything 08+ is almost certainly a 2.0 TDI and for the few bigger engines there are, the spec is poor (basic red screen MMI, no parking sensors, no xenons etc)

I'll probably have to move up to an A8 to get an equivalent spec and that's only because it comes with far more as standard. Good ole Irish punters - go buy a premium car (and pay for it!) and then spec it worse than an average family saloon! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

what do you want parking sensors for? Can't you drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I have a just about 10 year old Audi A6 Quattro with a 3.0 TDI motor under the bonnet and a far higher spec than most - amazing really considering it's an Irish car, not an import.

Sure the tax is a killer and I wouldn't mind a refresh model but even browsing on Done Deal, anything 08+ is almost certainly a 2.0 TDI and for the few bigger engines there are, the spec is poor (basic red screen MMI, no parking sensors, no xenons etc)

I'll probably have to move up to an A8 to get an equivalent spec and that's only because it comes with far more as standard. Good ole Irish punters - go buy a premium car (and pay for it!) and then spec it worse than an average family saloon! :rolleyes:
    I know someone who bought a '10 A6 allroad 2.7 tdi quattro. The tax on it is 1200 yoyos. Not all newer diesels are cheap to tax.

corktina wrote: »
    what do you want parking sensors for? Can't you drive?

:rolleyes: There's always one isn't there!

pablo128 wrote: »
    I know someone who bought a '10 A6 allroad 2.7 tdi quattro. The tax on it is 1200 yoyos. Not all newer diesels are cheap to tax.

I know that .. wouldn't be driving what I have if tax was a show-stopper :) but that said, a few quid more in my pocket is always welcome too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I drive a car worth €3k, if a nicer car puls up beside me i just admire it and drive off. Though everyone was the same :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No point in comparing my car to anything else really, so no. Minor tinge of jealousy every time I see a higher spec one, but I can live with that, seeing as mine is almost certainly better maintained than most.

It is hard when I see the rare 8th gen Type R though, those things are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I saw a Ferrari 599 being washed in a sponge wash the other day in a side of the road hand wash.

I didnt ponder what that chap feels like driving it. I was thinking to myself that guy doesnt know how to look after his car. Pleb. Then i felt smug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's likely a man thing...I just think they're a great piece if engineering. The long history and racing pedigree is fairly impressive too. Apparently they handle beautifully as well.

It was from this perspective that I felt a little lost...I don't really mind how much money the chap has, I just hope he bought the car for some of the reasons I mention and not purely to show off.

A girl I know had the means to buy a new 911 and test drove one (after the dealer tried to sell her a Boxster:)). She said it was utterly stunning to drive. However she bought a Mini JCW instead. Why? She said she couldn't face the 'wanker' image associated with the 911.
    I suppose most folks assume you buy a 911 to flaunt wealth, whereas oftentimes they're bought by enthusiasts.
    I just find it amazing that what strangers might think about you could influence your decision on what car to buy. Are people really that shallow and insecure?

Cienciano wrote: »
    I just find it amazing that what strangers might think about you could influence your decision on what car to buy. Are people really that shallow and insecure?

Of course they are - that's why the obsession with reg year/plates above all else in this country :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I don't feel inferior to sports cars. Not in Ireland. Few people, and we're talking a handful, have 'real money' in Ireland. I mean the money to buy a car outright, grab a private plane to Europe etc. Proper wealth and no object. Plenty of people here can afford the illusion of wealth and build up an image. Its 95% credit living. But put them against the likes of the UK, or better, America and they are mere commoners. Even the spec alone of 'sports cars' here is astounding compared to the other markets. Sit in a Porsche here, and then sit in the top spec in the UK or America, world of difference in trim, finish and extras. We don't even get the complete lines here, its all the lower to mid line stuff.

If anything, I feel inferior to the lads who go out and buy the exotic sleepers or the true bonkermobiles (GT-R etc) and there is no better feeling than pulling up at the next set of lights and the lad in the Merc / Porsche / Ferrari wondering how your A4 / A6 'saloon' beat them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I just find it amazing that what strangers might think about you could influence your decision on what car to buy.

No I don't buy a car based on that. Not at all. I buy what I want and can afford. I would aspire to own a 911 as I think they're cracking cars.

Many folks do appear to be concerned about how they look however. It's mainly marketing that creates the desire I think. I've never seen a Porsche ad on telly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I don't feel inferior, I have a massive Wang. :cool::D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

ironclaw wrote: »
    I don't feel inferior to sports cars. Not in Ireland. Few people, and we're talking a handful, have 'real money' in Ireland. I mean the money to buy a car outright, grab a private plane to Europe etc. Proper wealth and no object. Plenty of people here can afford the illusion of wealth and build up an image. Its 95% credit living. But put them against the likes of the UK, or better, America and they are mere commoners. Even the spec alone of 'sports cars' here is astounding compared to the other markets. Sit in a Porsche here, and then sit in the top spec in the UK or America, world of difference in trim, finish and extras. We don't even get the complete lines here, its all the lower to mid line stuff.

If anything, I feel inferior to the lads who go out and buy the exotic sleepers or the true bonkermobiles (GT-R etc) and there is no better feeling than pulling up at the next set of lights and the lad in the Merc / Porsche / Ferrari wondering how your A4 / A6 'saloon' beat them ;)

Ahh lets not turn this into a 1.9 TDI v V10 debate...ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭ngcxt6

Was filling up me ould rusty 2001 fiesta one day when a porche 911 pulled up beside me. didnt feel one bit inferior, especially considering the person who was trying to fill it up didnt seem to even know how to operate the petrol pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I think in general Ireland is no country for good cars.

This is it. You rarely see anything nice in Ireland so if you drive anything even slightly out of the norm, it tends to stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Ahh lets not turn this into a 1.9 TDI v V10 debate...ffs

TDI? Last time I checked the RS took Petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭alistair spuds

I find it doesn't matter what you own.

I've owned them all from top of the range prestige new cars to simple older great value reliable runabouts, no matter what you own / drive, there is always a type of irish begrudger who will try to look down on you and pick holes in it, from snobbery, to inverted snobbery. It usually stems from some form of insecurity on their part.

So just do your own thing, your way, and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭R1_Pete

I agree. I love my car, it's a twelve year old 911. I'm sure some people look and think w@nker, others admire it, some probably think more money than sense whatever.. I couldn't care less what other people think of my car or me for driving it. I love it, I love the sound of it, the shape of it, the handling, heritage and engineering and I enjoy driving it.

I never have car envy when a nicer/newer car pulls up, I don't try and console myself that he might have finance, or guess his motivations were for buying it, I just admire it for what it is and hope it makes the person as happy as mine makes me..

Similarly I don't look down on other cars or people's choice of car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I would not really feel inferior, but I would be lying if I would not go jelly now and then seeing something that motorist would call "sexy ".
    I know one thing though, when I drove a bangornomics 500eu ford I felt dead inside and embarrassed. I would see a nice car and my eyes would scream: "it's not who I am! I love cars! I love driving! I drive this only because I need some cash saved up, before I can get something decent again!"

Advertisement