Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY FITNESS PAL question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

I find the barcode photo is very good at pulling out the accurate entries. It also seems to work most of the time, which I was surprised by..... I have been using the app for a few years...I find its a good way of kick starting a new eating regime....then after a few weeks, you tend not to need it any more...at least for a couple of months!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Blacktie. wrote: »

That probably would be more accurate. I just never liked the idea of gaining more calories to eat because you done some exercise. I'd just factor it into my TDEE count.

A lot of folk recommend eating back half of your exercise calories. You get some reward for your exercise and you still end up with a bigger deficit than a non-exercise day. I wouldn't bother eating the extra unless I knew I had a few hundred kcals to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

hardCopy wrote: »
    In my experience MFP works best when combined with planning your meals in advance, so does weight loss. You'll just get sick of MFP if you eat whatever takes your fancy all the time, it's easiest if you can take a bit of time each evening to prepare your food for the next day and pre-log everything you plan to eat. If reality doesn't match the plan you can always delete or adjust entries.

If you have a HRM or a a better estimate of your calories burned you can overwrite what MFP suggests for exercise calories.

That's exactly what I did for today.

Well, I planned what I was eating and organised my lunch/breakfast.I can't promise I'll always be that organised!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    This is very true.

That probably would be more accurate. I just never liked the idea of gaining more calories to eat because you done some exercise. I'd just factor it into my TDEE count.

I'm not interested in eating my calories.

Yesterday I had consumed 1250 & had seemingly burned off almost 400 (which I doubt) so it leaves me 'under my target' but any exercise I do, is a bonus, not something to be assimilated into my daily calorie allowance :-)

Friday is my homemade burger/chip day with partner so imagine my calories will be over 1250 those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's exactly what I did for today.

Well, I planned what I was eating and organised my lunch/breakfast.I can't promise I'll always be that organised!

It won't always take as long and you will eventually be able to eyeball some stuff.

Burger and chip night -> make Turkey burgers oven chips. if you have a non stick pan you can almost dry fry the burgers. Swap some of the potatoes out for carrots and parsnips when making the chips.

Turkey burgers can be gorgeous if they're seasoned and spiced right.

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    It won't always take as long and you will eventually be able to eyeball some stuff.

Burger and chip night -> make Turkey burgers oven chips. if you have a non stick pan you can almost dry fry the burgers. Swap some of the potatoes out for carrots and parsnips when making the chips.

Turkey burgers can be gorgeous if they're seasoned and spiced right.

Nope, it's beef burgers! Almost a tradition now at this stage! I figure if I'm good foodwise the rest of the week and do a bit of exercise then it won't put me off the rails.

I do fry them in a non stick pan.

Chips are deep fried but if I'm careful about not eating too many then I'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I just don't bother entering any calories burned from exercise as I find it is too difficult to know if it is accurate. If I went for a cycle for example, My Fitness Pal, my Polar HRM watch, and Strava would all give me different numbers. I just find it better to stick to the food diary part :)

Advertisement