Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MY FITNESS PAL question

Options
  • 28-12-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I am planning on using this in the new year.

While I have some time today, is it possible to create a list of foods/quantities that I would eat to make it easier at the time when I DO start to just insert it, rather than searching for it bit by bit? I find MFP offputting to start with in tracking all the correct foods as I don't eat the same foods every day but I am willing to try.

Thank you.

If anyone has any tips/advice in using MFP, feel free to let me know.

Any advice on this daily intake?

rl9qoy.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I am planning on using this in the new year.

While I have some time today, is it possible to create a list of foods/quantities that I would eat to make it easier at the time when I DO start to just insert it, rather than searching for it bit by bit? I find MFP offputting to start with in tracking all the correct foods as I don't eat the same foods every day but I am willing to try.

Thank you.

If anyone has any tips/advice in using MFP, feel free to let me know.

You an build your own database and it stores a lot of the recent/frequent foods and quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thank you Alf, I'm trying to figure it out put just input a typical day (before Christmas happened!) and have stored that as todays intake. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I think it's probably easier to use the laptop rather than the app until I've a bank of 'meals' saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

You can save things as meals as well.

So for example my breakfast would pretty much always be the same so I just click 'standard breakfast' which is what I have it saved as.

Okay thanks SB I will have another play around with it now :-)
    Is it accurate?
    I notice for some things there are various entries, how do I know which are accurate?

I notice for some things there are various entries, how do I know which are accurate?

In some cases, you just need to cross check with any available nutritional info with it, in others it's a case of looking at the different entries and picking the most likely one.

I've found that the names with the entries hint at the mote accurate ones. The more accurate the name, the more likely it is to be right. Not a hard and fast rule...more a rule of thumb

• Advertisement

Thanks. I remember when I used it the odd time before it gave a breakdown of % of the various nutrients. Is that gone now, or is it just the g I am to look at? (Those values at the bottom are g aren't they?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I would question some of those values - flahavans oats are approx 380 per 100g I thought, so 230 for 40g is way too high imo. Similarly a 150g chicken fillet (is this what you mean or do you mean a roast chicken?) would be around 150-200 max I imagine?

I would find a large egg might well have more than 78 calories as well - maybe closer to 100 depending on the weight

Thank you, I didn't have the exact packaging with me so just using it as a guide. if that was all I ate yesterday it'd be a miracle! Just trying to set myself up for when I return to work. Thanks for the input though, good to know I need to be a bit more careful with what I input.

Thanks. I remember when I used it the odd time before it gave a breakdown of % of the various nutrients. Is that gone now, or is it just the g I am to look at? (Those values at the bottom are g aren't they?)

Yeah, they're grams.

1g of protein = 4 kcals
    1g of carbohydrate = 4 kcals
    1g of fat = 9 kcals

If you have an item with a few different kcal values, look at the most realistic value and if there are a few of those, you're best off picking the one that's the highest value. Underestimating leads to a head f**k :)

MFP is a great tool and will give you peace of mind that you're on the right track. Your diet will improve the more you see what you get from what you eat. Just don't get too bogged down on it. Be mindful of daily totals but only in the context of the bigger picture.

Overshot by 100 kcals today? It's Monday so you've the rest of the week to claw that back - don't beat yourself up or derail things because of 1 day

Thank you Alf for that, very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Also, work out your own target calories - the ones the MFP sets are ridiculously low in my experience. In fact, what it was giving me as a daily target at day one is still significantly lower than the 500 calorie deficit figure I calculate using the stickies at the top of this forum today (and I'm (or I was before Christmas) four stone lighter than at the start)!

Did you use the sticky at the top to work our your target calories?

With MFP, I have edited a few of the foods details as I found some were slightly different to the packaging I have so now they have been saved in 'My Foods'. How do I make sure that THOSE ones are used when I add them to my daily log?

Oh never mind, found it! :-)

Did you use the sticky at the top to work our your target calories?

With MFP, I have edited a few of the foods details as I found some were slightly different to the packaging I have so now they have been saved in 'My Foods'. How do I make sure that THOSE ones are used when I add them to my daily log?

If you've saved them to My Foods, just add them from there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The 'My Foods' section only holds about 55 entries which I find pretty annoying. And it is not sorted alphabetically which is also really annoying!

Only 55 , oh that might be annoying then :-(

You'll surely have a few go-to meals that you have reasonably regularly.

Several foods in one entry.

55 entries will still cover a sizeable proportion of what you eat.

We'll see. I'm only learning the setup yet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Best of luck purplecow! I'm getting back into the healthy regime tomorrow and I find myfitnesspal great for tracking my exercise and what I eat :-)

Thank you very much. Enjoying the tracking so far! (I'm sure that'll wear off!)

It's set at 1250 cals and I'm finding it difficult in a way to stick to the carb/sugar 'goal'.

Any suggestions on what to eat after exercise? I'm always ravenous afterwards!

• Advertisement

Thank you very much. Enjoying the tracking so far! (I'm sure that'll wear off!)

It's set at 1250 cals and I'm finding it difficult in a way to stick to the carb/sugar 'goal'.

Any suggestions on what to eat after exercise? I'm always ravenous afterwards!

First off, 1250 sounds too low. I wouldn't use either the calorie target of the exercise calories from MFP.

Secondly, don't treat the numbers as goals. The carb numbers always seem a bit high anyway. And sugar is an absolute upper limit at best. Just try keeping the sugar low.

Drink a lot of water after exercise. A lot of the time people mistake dehydration for hunger. A mistake people make is they eat something they think they've earned from exercise but end up consuming more than they've burned off.

See what you've consumed and that will guide on a sensible option for after if you need it.

First off, 1250 sounds too low. I wouldn't use either the calorie target of the exercise calories from MFP.

Secondly, don't treat the numbers as goals. The carb numbers always seem a bit high anyway. And sugar is an absolute upper limit at best. Just try keeping the sugar low.

Drink a lot of water after exercise. A lot of the time people mistake dehydration for hunger. A mistake people make is they eat something they think they've earned from exercise but end up consuming more than they've burned off.

See what you've consumed and that will guide on a sensible option for after if you need it.

Thanks Alf.

1250 did sound a bit low, and using the sticky mentioned above (I think it's the right one anyway, g'em?) my BMR is 2000 cals! :eek:

I don't mind having it set at 1250 if it helps me to err on the side of caution. I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat 1350 calories!

You are right about drinking water/dehydration/hunger. I have drank 1 L of water today which is more than I ever drink. Did some cardio in the gym and going to prepare my lunch for tomorrow, which I have already input into MFP, and shower. Need to sort a few things for work but I think that will have to go on the back burner now!

I didn't mean that the carbs values etc were 'goals' as in something to aspire to, was just using the word that was used on the app, but I take what you mean. I need to watch the sugar. I ate 2 grilled rashers yesterday on a bagel - that won't be happening very often again now I know how much sodium is in those blasted things!! And bagels! Why did I think they were better than 2 slices of bread?! Pfffft! The last one is going in the freezer (was going to eat it for lunch but decided on the wrap instead) and the OH can eat it at the weekend after his cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

If you can get into the habit of using MFP everyday it is a great tool. I lost 3 stone from Feb to Nov 2014 and I don't think I would have been half as successful with the weight loss had I not logged every day. I'm more aware of my food and calorie intake now because of it. I don't follow the carb/fat/protein values as I'm vegetarian and my diet is 50-75% carbs which shows that you don't have to go low carb to lose weight, high carb has worked for me. I've adjusted my calorie allowance now that I am at maintenance although I will be trying to be extra good the next couple of weeks to shift the Christmas weight gain :)

That's a pretty good motivator, wow if I lost 3 stone I'd be lighter than I ever remember! :D Lost 2 stone before and got to 12st 2 but never lower and annoyed with myself that I let things slip. I had even lost weight over Christmas that time! (1/2lb!)

Is a banana a day okay to eat? Are eggs every day okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭carleigh

I'm sure a banana would be ok once it fits into your calorie allowance for the day. What I found personally worked for me was not to deny myself anything. If I wanted a bar of chocolate I had one, but maybe a funsize bar instead or a low calorie hot chocolate (remember to log everything). If I fancied a biscuit with my cuppa, I had one, but only one. Don't forget to input any exercise into MFP also, as it will give you a few extra calories to play with. Most of all, don't be too hard on yourself. We all have good and bad days but if you stick to it as best you can you will see results :)

Is a banana a day okay to eat? Are eggs every day okay?

That can only be answered in the context of everything else you've eaten that day. Absolutely nothing wrong with either. I have 2 eggs a day. I find them filling and tasty.

Off the top of my head, you'd be looking at 80-100 kcal in either, depending on size. Easy enough to slot into a day really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1250 did sound a bit low, and using the sticky mentioned above (I think it's the right one anyway, g'em?) my BMR is 2000 cals! :eek:

I don't mind having it set at 1250 if it helps me to err on the side of caution. I'm not going to beat myself up if I eat 1350 calories!
    Just be careful you're not too tempted to start guessing portions, as sure you have plenty to play with... I know this is what I did using their targets initially.

iirc it gave me the 1250, when the sticky, with a deficit of 500 cals (which is more than the sticky even recommends), gave me nearly 3000! In android, and desktop, it allows you to overwrite the target. And also you can adjust the goal percentages for carbs, sugars fats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

carleigh wrote: »
    Don't forget to input any exercise into MFP also, as it will give you a few extra calories to play with.

I wouldn't do this. It's far too forgiving with calories burned for exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

In my experience MFP works best when combined with planning your meals in advance, so does weight loss. You'll just get sick of MFP if you eat whatever takes your fancy all the time, it's easiest if you can take a bit of time each evening to prepare your food for the next day and pre-log everything you plan to eat. If reality doesn't match the plan you can always delete or adjust entries.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    I wouldn't do this. It's far too forgiving with calories burned for exercise!

If you have a HRM or a a better estimate of your calories burned you can overwrite what MFP suggests for exercise calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

hardCopy wrote: »
    In my experience MFP works best when combined with planning your meals in advance, so does weight loss. You'll just get sick of MFP if you eat whatever takes your fancy all the time, it's easiest if you can take a bit of time each evening to prepare your food for the next day and pre-log everything you plan to eat. If reality doesn't match the plan you can always delete or adjust entries.

This is very true.
    If you have a HRM or a a better estimate of your calories burned you can overwrite what MFP suggests for exercise calories.

That probably would be more accurate. I just never liked the idea of gaining more calories to eat because you done some exercise. I'd just factor it into my TDEE count.

Advertisement