Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Super. Is it Clonmel Óg that won?

Tribesmen it is so. They have some good forwards but i just think we'll have enough in the locker somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tribesmen it is so. They have some good forwards but i just think we'll have enough in the locker somehow.

Yeah was impressed with them today although Cork were just soo bad it's hard to no how good they actually are.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Super. Is it Clonmel Óg that won?

Yes last second winner.

• Advertisement

Commericials gave Ardfinnan some tanking tonight. 3-18 to 5 pts :eek:
    Kilsheelan beat Cahir 2-15 to 10.

Kildangan v Templederry in the North Final. Close semi final wins for both against Portroe and Silvermines respectively.

Loughmore beat JK Brackens AET last night and play Sars in the North final.
    Im assuming Clonoulty v Annacarthy in the West and id imagine Killenaule vs Mullinahone in the South?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Commericials gave Ardfinnan some tanking tonight. 3-18 to 5 pts :eek:
    Kilsheelan beat Cahir 2-15 to 10.

Kildangan v Templederry in the North Final. Close semi final wins for both against Portroe and Silvermines respectively.

Loughmore beat JK Brackens AET last night and play Sars in the North final.
    Im assuming Clonoulty v Annacarthy in the West and id imagine Killenaule vs Mullinahone in the South?

Clonoulty lost to Knockavilla tonight, biggest shock in Tipp hurling in years.

Yeah was impressed with them today although Cork were just soo bad it's hard to no how good they actually are.

Hard to really know what form Galway are in..Cork were terrible today.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Clonoulty lost to Knockavilla tonight, biggest shock in Tipp hurling in years.

That is a shock. Would be great to see a new name on the West trophy though and the West has suffered a decline in recent years. Not so long ago Galtee Rovers, Cappawhite, Cashel Clonoulty and Knockavilla were all going relatively strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Indeed, Cork were bad. But, Galway did what they had to do and had twenty something wides in the process . That means they had a serious amount of possession and dominance. They're dangerous - and seem to have found a system of getting on lots of ball and create a lot of scoring opportunities. KK were were unplayable in terms of accuracy and use of possession against Galway - in that Galway were beaten by the better team but the foremost team. However, Galway have picked themselves up and are a threat. But, Galway's backs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Loughmore beat JK Brackens AET last night and play Sars in the North Mid final.

FYP, just in case some people get confused :)

jprboy wrote: »
    FYP, just in case some people get confused :)

Jesus I'll be stoned to death next time I enter Thurles after that one lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I can't decide if this is great or awful

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Why are people releasing songs before we even reach the final? I listened to 20 seconds and turned it off. At least Johnny B writes a bit of an original tune rather than changing the words to an old song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Why are people releasing songs before we even reach the final? I listened to 20 seconds and turned it off. At least Johnny B writes a bit of an original tune rather than changing the words to an old song.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but i don't think you could have used a worse example:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OAOB wrote: »
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you but i don't think you could have used a worse example:D

Classic :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great to see the Corrigan brothers have taken time off banning all in sundry on premierview to parody an existing song.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Haha touche! Didn't think of that one at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tbf that's one of the better gaa songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

"Brendan Cummins, from Ballybacon Grange. NASA are studying his puck out range". That's on par with Bob Dylan or Neil Young for genius lyrics in my opinion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I can't decide if this is great or awful

Awful s***e.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,157 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Getting back to the semi final. One thing that can be guaranteed is that Galway will come with a ferociousness that this Tipp team have not experienced before. I remember 93 after we hammered clare in the munster final we were at the same craic, songs and celebrations. Galway met us in the semi final and literraly beat us up. Hammerred us from start to finish. They have allways seen us a being a bit soft and unless we are prepared they could be right. This is where Michael Ryan needs to take the players one side and drill this into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Matties...

As we approach the game with the Matties, I feel it’s my duty to impart some knowledge I have of dealing with Matties (Galway Folk) with my fellow Tipperary brethren. They’re a mad bunch of people, make no mistake about it.....and they need to be treated with the utmost kindness and empathy, after a defeat to us. I’ll give ye a little anecdote to explain what I mean.

Myself and a close enough friend broke down in Killeenadeema recently - half way between Loughrea and Woodford - which is essentially the heart of Easht Galway. Real Mattie country this; they christen their daughters Matilda, for instance. If you’re a Tipp man stopping off in these parts, it’s essential that you disguise your appearance and custom your parlance to blend in. Fr Jack (in Fr. Ted) gave us the perfect character upon which to base our personas. Instead of using “fcek, arse, drink and girls”, we use the number “89”, and the words “Denton”, “Fair Play is all we want” and one which should be saved for extreme circumstances, “Joe Rabbitte was fouled every time he got the ball”. In Lorrha, we reckon that there is no question an Easht Galway man can ask us that can’t be answered with those phrases. If a certain “mutual respect” isn’t maintained, then a Mattie could very well do something he might never regret. We also try to imitate his unmistakable look when we speak to them.

We managed to get the car to a mechanic anyway and parked her up. We could hear what sounded like a game of hurling on TV in the garage, and followed the noise. Before we got to the door, a man approached us and grunted something which sounded like “Tipp bunts”. I couldn’t quite make it out, but I was almost certain I heard Ger Canning say that Mark O’Leary had scored his second goal, on the TV. I had to think fast, cas I had a real live one here, so I wipped out my trump card straight away and said “Joe Rabbitte was fouled every time he got the ball” in the thickest Easht Galway accent I could muster (I had spent five years in Portumna CS, so I had an idea), looked him in the eye and nodded my head towards the car. It was almost as if he knew exactly what my problem was. He went over to my car and had it purring inside ten minutes.

If ye use these simple phrases, then ye should see yourself down the Clonliffe Road and into the back of Quinns safe and sound. Any deviation from them, and you may as well be writing yourself a suicide note.

You have been warned. Beware of the Mattie next Sunday.

Post #2:

Awful pity the Hill isn’t open Sunday, severely decreases the opportunity for a bit of Mattie Baiting. Nothing better than positioning yourself in between a couple of groups of stone wall Matties and having them spitting feathers before a ball is even thrown in. If carried out correctly as per the below guide it should be mission accomplished before throw in, leaving you free to concentrate on the game at hand.

Many theories are held on the ideal positioning to attack your chosen Matties. Personally, I prefer to place myself directly in front of one group and behind another as this gives you the ultimate Mattie Baiting experience while still giving you an easy escape route left and right in case things get messy. It must be remembered that the Mattie is an extremely volatile creature and can flip at the mere mention of words like 89, Denton or Leahy.

So how does one distinguish a stone wall Mattie? Probably the two biggest factors are age and location. Your Mattie must be old enough to clearly remember the 89 affair and still be young enough to maintain a meaningful degree of bitterness. While bitterness is innate in all born within the countys border and has been witnessed in Matties as young as seven and eight, its best stick to the above criteria. You also need a Mattie that lives somewhere between Loughrea and Ballinslaoe. Kilbeacanty, Ahascragh, Killimordaly and Cappatagle are all renowned sources of this most bitter of creatures. At least three of any group should indeed be called Mattie and all should be dressed in their chosen attire of Galway jersey tucked into blue jeans stuck to their arse, complimented by buckled black shoes and a maroon and white headband tied on so tight the top of their head has turned purple. Id be looking for a group in their mid forties, most of whom should look like a cross between Sylvie Linnane and PJ O Connell. Ideally they shouldn’t have missed a hurling match of any description since ‘that **** of a Cortina’ let down Mattie Garvey bringing the boys to a league game during the thin freeze of 85.

The baiting should start as soon as you’re in. Brag loudly about the bet you placed in Donie Mearas during the week, describing your Tipp -7 as ‘money in the bank’. Have a laugh at the lads you saw in there backing Galway, ‘one f**king eejit even backed them for the All-Ireland!!’ is a popular one, best said with tears in your eyes. Your Matties should have noticed your presence by now, and should start shuffling nervously.

Next you whip out the programme. Again, laughing is key here. Start laughing the minute you open it. Wonder what gob****e they have in the goals this time, and add that they haven’t had a decent keeper since Seamus Shinnors. Point out a few more lads, mispronounce their club and mention that they wouldn’t make a decent Junior team in Tipp. You might get a bit of lip out them here, ignore it.

The teams should be making their way out by now. The minute you see Joe Canning, its time for a few disparaging remarks about his weight. Matties love Joe Canning. He’s the one dying ember of hope they have of rediscovering the glory days, i.e the 13 months between August 1987 and September 1988. ’Jaysus, Curran wont know whether to mark him or calve him’’ should do the trick. Wonder is he finished before describing the other five forwards as ‘too windy’. Now might be an ideal time to wonder should you have gone for the Tipp -9 altogether.

As indicated at the start, you may well find yourselves in verbal conflict by now. Its vital to stay calm in these situations. Don’t hit them, that’s what they want you to do. Years of inbreeding and bitterness have ravaged their mental function to the extent that they can be easily outsmarted, even if you have overdone it in Quinns. The interchange wont get any more highbrow than calling ya ‘a thick Tipp ****’ and describing us as ‘red rotten usheless’.

Should things get physical or ye need assistance at any time, just roar ‘we have a live one’. Myself, Mansfield and a few more expert baiters will be positioned at various points around the ground and will be on hand to diffuse the situation. Don’t try do it yourself. Its best done by lads living within five miles of the bridge with at least five years of education in a Galway institution of education (The 5+5 Rule) and who have drank at least 500 pints in Ronnie Curleys.

Good luck and God Speed, and lets at all times remember the mantra of one of our fallen comrades.

As my Granfather, Lord Have Mercy on him, once said ‘Show me Galway man, and I’ll show ya a ****’.
    seafoid:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Paddico

buggy beag wrote: »
    Matties...

As we approach the game with the Matties, I feel it’s my duty to impart some knowledge I have of dealing with Matties (Galway Folk) with my fellow Tipperary brethren. They’re a mad bunch of people, make no mistake about it.....and they need to be treated with the utmost kindness and empathy, after a defeat to us. I’ll give ye a little anecdote to explain what I mean.

Myself and a close enough friend broke down in Killeenadeema recently - half way between Loughrea and Woodford - which is essentially the heart of Easht Galway. Real Mattie country this; they christen their daughters Matilda, for instance. If you’re a Tipp man stopping off in these parts, it’s essential that you disguise your appearance and custom your parlance to blend in. Fr Jack (in Fr. Ted) gave us the perfect character upon which to base our personas. Instead of using “fcek, arse, drink and girls”, we use the number “89”, and the words “Denton”, “Fair Play is all we want” and one which should be saved for extreme circumstances, “Joe Rabbitte was fouled every time he got the ball”. In Lorrha, we reckon that there is no question an Easht Galway man can ask us that can’t be answered with those phrases. If a certain “mutual respect” isn’t maintained, then a Mattie could very well do something he might never regret. We also try to imitate his unmistakable look when we speak to them.

We managed to get the car to a mechanic anyway and parked her up. We could hear what sounded like a game of hurling on TV in the garage, and followed the noise. Before we got to the door, a man approached us and grunted something which sounded like “Tipp bunts”. I couldn’t quite make it out, but I was almost certain I heard Ger Canning say that Mark O’Leary had scored his second goal, on the TV. I had to think fast, cas I had a real live one here, so I wipped out my trump card straight away and said “Joe Rabbitte was fouled every time he got the ball” in the thickest Easht Galway accent I could muster (I had spent five years in Portumna CS, so I had an idea), looked him in the eye and nodded my head towards the car. It was almost as if he knew exactly what my problem was. He went over to my car and had it purring inside ten minutes.

If ye use these simple phrases, then ye should see yourself down the Clonliffe Road and into the back of Quinns safe and sound. Any deviation from them, and you may as well be writing yourself a suicide note.

Post #2:

Awful pity the Hill isn’t open Sunday, severely decreases the opportunity for a bit of Mattie Baiting. Nothing better than positioning yourself in between a couple of groups of stone wall Matties and having them spitting feathers before a ball is even thrown in. If carried out correctly as per the below guide it should be mission accomplished before throw in, leaving you free to concentrate on the game at hand.

Many theories are held on the ideal positioning to attack your chosen Matties. Personally, I prefer to place myself directly in front of one group and behind another as this gives you the ultimate Mattie Baiting experience while still giving you an easy escape route left and right in case things get messy. It must be remembered that the Mattie is an extremely volatile creature and can flip at the mere mention of words like 89, Denton or Leahy.

So how does one distinguish a stone wall Mattie? Probably the two biggest factors are age and location. Your Mattie must be old enough to clearly remember the 89 affair and still be young enough to maintain a meaningful degree of bitterness. While bitterness is innate in all born within the countys border and has been witnessed in Matties as young as seven and eight, its best stick to the above criteria. You also need a Mattie that lives somewhere between Loughrea and Ballinslaoe. Kilbeacanty, Ahascragh, Killimordaly and Cappatagle are all renowned sources of this most bitter of creatures. At least three of any group should indeed be called Mattie and all should be dressed in their chosen attire of Galway jersey tucked into blue jeans stuck to their arse, complimented by buckled black shoes and a maroon and white headband tied on so tight the top of their head has turned purple. Id be looking for a group in their mid forties, most of whom should look like a cross between Sylvie Linnane and PJ O Connell. Ideally they shouldn’t have missed a hurling match of any description since ‘that **** of a Cortina’ let down Mattie Garvey bringing the boys to a league game during the thin freeze of 85.

The baiting should start as soon as you’re in. Brag loudly about the bet you placed in Donie Mearas during the week, describing your Tipp -7 as ‘money in the bank’. Have a laugh at the lads you saw in there backing Galway, ‘one f**king eejit even backed them for the All-Ireland!!’ is a popular one, best said with tears in your eyes. Your Matties should have noticed your presence by now, and should start shuffling nervously.

Next you whip out the programme. Again, laughing is key here. Start laughing the minute you open it. Wonder what gob****e they have in the goals this time, and add that they haven’t had a decent keeper since Seamus Shinnors. Point out a few more lads, mispronounce their club and mention that they wouldn’t make a decent Junior team in Tipp. You might get a bit of lip out them here, ignore it.

The teams should be making their way out by now. The minute you see Joe Canning, its time for a few disparaging remarks about his weight. Matties love Joe Canning. He’s the one dying ember of hope they have of rediscovering the glory days, i.e the 13 months between August 1987 and September 1988. ’Jaysus, Curran wont know whether to mark him or calve him’’ should do the trick. Wonder is he finished before describing the other five forwards as ‘too windy’. Now might be an ideal time to wonder should you have gone for the Tipp -9 altogether.

As indicated at the start, you may well find yourselves in verbal conflict by now. Its vital to stay calm in these situations. Don’t hit them, that’s what they want you to do. Years of inbreeding and bitterness have ravaged their mental function to the extent that they can be easily outsmarted, even if you have overdone it in Quinns. The interchange wont get any more highbrow than calling ya ‘a thick Tipp ****’ and describing us as ‘red rotten usheless’.

Should things get physical or ye need assistance at any time, just roar ‘we have a live one’. Myself, Mansfield and a few more expert baiters will be positioned at various points around the ground and will be on hand to diffuse the situation. Don’t try do it yourself. Its best done by lads living within five miles of the bridge with at least five years of education in a Galway institution of education (The 5+5 Rule) and who have drank at least 500 pints in Ronnie Curleys.

Good luck and God Speed, and lets at all times remember the mantra of one of our fallen comrades.

As my Granfather, Lord Have Mercy on him, once said ‘Show me Galway man, and I’ll show ya a ****’.
    seafoid:

Enjoyed the posts. Have to ask where did Matties come from. Lived there for 7 years and never heard it before.
    East Galway it aint but Easht Galway is certainly is.

Watch out for the hatchets from Turloughmore!!!

Paddico wrote:
    Enjoyed the posts. Have to ask where did Matties come from. Lived there for 7 years and never heard it before. East Galway it aint but Easht Galway is certainly is.

Only found them myself tis morning when i googled why are galway people called matties haha think someone posted them on premierview before i only copied and pasted them.still dont no why they are called matties maybe someone might enlightened us?

Its surely because half of them are called mattie bit like half of tipp is ryan or maher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Minor footballers play Galway in the qualifiers at 4 in Tullamore on Monday next while Sligo play Kerry at 2

I cannot see too many traffic jams being caused by Tipp registration numbers, a few green and gold jerseys will be seen around the stadium though .

This will be a very good game for the Tipp minors to win!

The best of luck to the young Tipp footballers and hoping that as many as possible come to support you!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

buggy beag wrote: »
    Matties...

Post #2:

seafoid:
    That's definitely the work of the poster who calls himself PJ Mansfield on Premierview.

Getting back to the semi final. One thing that can be guaranteed is that Galway will come with a ferociousness that this Tipp team have not experienced before. I remember 93 after we hammered clare in the munster final we were at the same craic, songs and celebrations. Galway met us in the semi final and literraly beat us up. Hammerred us from start to finish. They have allways seen us a being a bit soft and unless we are prepared they could be right. This is where Michael Ryan needs to take the players one side and drill this into them.

Begor Dan i never thought id see the day that you wouldnt predict anything other then a Tipp win.

Personally in terms of being soft i think we're well able to cope with them physically and certainly these times id say if anything we have the upper hand.

If we can go toe to toe with Kilkenny we can go toe to toe with anyone in the land. Many Cork fans werent happy with some alleged off the ball stuff from the Tribe last day out but then again Cork are what Graham Souness might describe as 'Ideal sons in law' at the moment. I would doubt Cathal Barrett would leave Johnny Glynn run that far without having a say in the matter somehow.

My biggest fear is if Joe hits the inspiring form he is capable of on the day. Very few can match him if he does, he is unplayable, and now he has a resurged Glynn beside him as well as the talented young teenager Conor Whelan and Jason flynn. Its best not to forget Galway were cruising against us with 20 mins left last year only for our tactical switch of Padraic Maher back on the forty and Barry to full back. We also made use of the landing strip of space in front of Seamie and thus apples fell from the bending boughs.

Overall though i think we have enough in our Arsenal for them. If Seamie and Bubbles are given a wide canvas on the day then we should see a beautiful picture painted.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    That's definitely the work of the poster who calls himself PJ Mansfield on Premierview.

He's a mate of Mansfield. Mentioned him in the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement