Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

R Maher reverts to minor-hurling-days position, while Breen comes in at wing back - given that he has played all his hurling in the forwards and got a goal the last day - be interesting to see if he actually plays there. But, Breen has hurled there lots before. The good thing about having them there is we know he can take a long range point and that will be crucial against a packed defence - we need to draw them out away from seamie and bubbles

could interchange with brendan maher a bit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Could work - i like the look of breen, bit of steel and class to him. Baptism of fire for him. If I was Waterford manager I'd put Kevin Moran on him - has the experience on him. By the same token, put Maurice on Ronan Maher - the Cody way!!! I'm sure Brendan, Woodlock and Shane, and O'Meara at times, will be back digging them out with help and protection.

There are Waterford backs to be targeted too though...

Louth getting a hammering - very disappointing performance from them - all credit to Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Louth getting a hammering - very disappointing performance from them - all credit to Tipp

Full Time result Tipp 3-21 Louth 0-7. Pretty emphatic win for Tipp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Surprised at footballer's margin of victory

Hopefully pitch will be ok for main event tomorrow. 5 games in 2 days and all this rain... not going to help us

GerB40 wrote:
    Full Time result Tipp 3-21 Louth 0-7. Pretty emphatic win for Tipp...

We've come a long way. Time was this would be a close game and also Waterford were beating us in football recently. We're becoming a beast

Much bigger hurdles lie ahead before Tipp Football is a beast!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

It's a pity we didn't get a better challenge in the football, it's not great preparation for the next round at all.

Yeah, I see your point. Maybe, if we get another home draw against someone like Galway, Fermanagh, or Roscommon we'd have teh confidence and shooting boots on. But, if we have to visit Armagh or Derry we'd hardly be battle hardened after that game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Well done to the Tipp footballers that was a big win for them,hopefully it's the start of a treble of wins for the premier County this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It's a pity we didn't get a better challenge in the football, it's not great preparation for the next round at all.
    You can only beat what is put in front of you. In hindsight yes but would you taken that result if you were told it 3 days ago...
    Yeah, I see your point. Maybe, if we get another home draw against someone like Galway, Fermanagh, or Roscommon we'd have teh confidence and shooting boots on. But, if we have to visit Armagh or Derry we'd hardly be battle hardened after that game...
    Great talking like that after the game but I think everyone of us would gladly have taken that result if we knew about it earlier in the week.
    Maybe we might be better off if we're not "battle-hardened" if we have to come up against Armagh/Derry...

I think everyone knew Tipp would win. The reason it wasn't mentioned beforehand was because it hadn't happened...You cannot discuss the actual ramifications of a result in a logical way until it's actually happened...that's logic.

Why would be we better off?

Playing the Ulster teams are battles, it's not a shootout. They're very defensive, the difference in style and lack of space could be a shock to the system.

Tommy Dunne on Kilkenny mauling in 2012: 'I took it really badly. I was low'
    Former Tipp coach Tommy Dunne lost belief in his ability after 2012 Cats mauling but Dubs stint revitalised him

Jackie Cahill
    PUBLISHED
    11/07/2015 | 02:300 COMMENTSSHARE
    Tommy Dunne was revitalised by his coaching stint at DublinOPEN GALLERY 1
    Tommy Dunne was revitalised by his coaching stint at Dublin
    The optics were poor, the fallout vicious, and Tommy Dunne suffered more than most. On the third Sunday of August 2012, Kilkenny inflicted an 18-point defeat on Tipperary in the All-Ireland hurling semi-final.
    GO TO
    Tipp were ahead by a point at half-time and still slumped to their biggest Championship defeat since the 1800s.
    Post-match debate centred on Lar Corbett and that infamous tête à tête with Tommy Walsh, as supporters looked for scapegoats.
    Dunne, Tipperary's coach at the time, and manager Declan Ryan were collateral damage.
    "We were very low after that," Dunne recalls. "I was very low after that. "I took it really badly. You question everything you do."
    For a man whose belief systems were unshakeable as a player, this one cut Dunne to the bone.
    It took him a while to recover, until the following Easter when Dublin manager Anthony Daly called and asked if he might help out with a couple of coaching sessions.
    Dunne reveals: "When I took up the Dublin job, I was going up there very low on confidence. But with the Dublin lads, it turned out to be a very good experience.
    Confidence

"It helped me to get my confidence back in terms of coaching and I'm very grateful to them for that."
    Dunne, Tipp's 2001 All-Ireland winning captain, remembers his first trip to the capital to meet the Dubs.
    He linked up with Ross Dunphy, the physical trainer, in Newbridge and the pair drove on from there.
    "I was very, very nervous about it," Dunne remembers. "Wondering would I have the conviction I used to have before, wondering was I good enough, if the stuff I was doing was the right stuff.
    "All of those old doubts and niggly things. 'What am I going to do here? I don't know if I'm going to be able to do this.'
    "But I remember Anthony Daly saying to me that I wouldn't feel the drive home after working with these players. And they were brilliant guys to work with.
    "I used to come away from some of the sessions really energised. It turned out to be a really great experience on a personal level, helped me to get going again."
    Dublin helped to turn Dunne's life around again, after Tipp had turned it upside down.
    "That's Tipperary," he smiles. "Anybody involved with Tipperary knows that's part of it. That's the way it is.
    "It's tough when you're going through it. Rightly or wrongly, you tend to shoulder a lot of responsibility when you're in those sorts of roles.
    "When you're involved with any Tipp team, you're looking to improve the players, number one, and hopefully results will follow. It left a huge mark.
    "I didn't coach for a relatively long time after that. My first session was probably with the Dublin boys."
    They loved him right from the start, and that affection was reciprocated. It was the summer when Daly's men won a Leinster title and almost contested an All-Ireland final.
    Energy

Dunne adds: "I was in a position where I said, yeah, I could do that. It just seemed to click fairly quickly. I really enjoyed the energy off the group and the feedback was good in terms of the sessions.
    "It was a very loose arrangement, once a week, but coincided with the lads having a great run in the Championship.
    "I've had a great relationship with them ever since, I'm always looking out for them and hoping they'll do well."
    Dunne's thirst for knowledge and self-improvement saw him gain a strength and conditioning degree from Setanta College and now he's studying for a masters.
    A self-employed director of Amber Fire systems, he's not quite sure how he fits everything in and the demands on his time meant he had to quit as Dublin coach in January, despite accepting a role alongside Ger Cunningham last November.
    "Time mis-management is probably more accurate," the Toomevara native laughs. "You've got to adapt and I've had huge support from Deirdre at home.
    "I had planned to be with Dublin but I realised that I wasn't going to be able to continue studying and working and having the commitment of being an intercounty senior hurling coach.
    "At the time I took up the option of going back with Dublin, I hadn't got the masters at that stage, I didn't think I was going to get on the course.
    "Shortly after that, I got the opportunity to go on the masters course and that's the way it worked out. At the minute, I'm doing some coaching with Clarecastle, that's the extent of my coaching this year."
    Some day, he may return to Tipperary in some capacity but for now, other parts of Tommy Dunne's life take priority.
    Theo is starting school soon and, hopefully, there's a house to be built in the next 18 months.
    And so at Semple Stadium tomorrow afternoon, he'll sit back and watch Tipp against Waterford in the Munster final.
    He believes that if they can keep it tight at the back, Tipp have the firepower to get the job done, although Waterford will present the hosts with their "biggest challenge to date this year."
    As a coach, however, Dunne is amazed by Eamon O'Shea's work with Tipp.
    "It's staggering the progress the team has made in the last two years," he says. "2013 was a disappointing year, 2014 was much better and 2015 has been very solid so far.
    "Whether Tipp win the Championship or not this year, the work they've done has been absolutely phenomenal.
    "They've brought new players in and revitalised players that have been there a few years. They're a super team to watch."
    For sure, they've come a long way. But so, too, has Tommy Dunne.
    Indo Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I know the morning of a Munster final isn't the time for a discussion on this but does anyone else think that the Town end terrace should be renamed the 'Jimmy Doyle' end? BTW Tipp x 5 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Triboro

Is it neutral venues for mondays football qualifiers draw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Triboro wrote: »
    Is it neutral venues for mondays football qualifiers draw

Yes!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

its a honour to be heading to thurles today to see this tipp team,when they are in full flow they are a joy to watch,tipp by 7+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I know the morning of a Munster final isn't the time for a discussion on this but does anyone else think that the Town end terrace should be renamed the 'Jimmy Doyle' end? BTW Tipp x 5 today.

Would be nice commemorate him. I would suggest something like a bronze statue in the square opposite Hayes's Hotel.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,871 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tipp by 6+ up the premier

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Best Of luck to the both tipp teams today, pull hard pull fast leave it all on the field ..... Hon tipp..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Heading for Thurles on the train now. Excited for this, it'll be my first Munster final and hoping for a right battle. Up Tipp!

Coooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP TIPP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Final score in the minors Tipp 0-20 Limerick 0-17. Hopefully the seniors can follow in their footsteps!!

That was a battle - that will stand to Tipp for the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I wonder what the price on the treble was...

Great win. Not the prettiest to watch for the neutral or the purist but job done all the same

Good honest performance from our minors. Cahill has done a terrific job with them to date. Workrate was immense

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Happy with the win, but the game was dire! First ten minutes we picked of the point from out the field which I thought was the plan forcing Waterford to play the game on our terms then we'd open them up and finish the off. Unfortunately we wasted most of the remainder of the game trying to send in ball to the feed the forwards while the Waterford sweeper system cleaned up. We sank back to Waterfords level until the last ten minutes of the game when we started picking off the scores from out field again. We had no shot on goal in the whole game, last time we failed to score in a championship game was 2010. Waterford missed a lot of chances due to poor finishing we could easily have lost today. We'll have to up the ante in the next game, we have the trophy under the belt now but the real test lies ahead.

• Advertisement

My MOTM was Cathal Barrett. He is becoming as important to us as Tommy Walsh was to Kilkenny.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement