Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Best of luck to the Under 18`s today. Quirke a massive loss ! Anyone think we can do it though ?

Was listening to the game on the radio earlier and by the sounds of things the Kingdom were well drilled but im not so sure about our lads. A microcosm of the senior really their lads were far cuter and more ruthless.

Good to see Aidan Buckley getting 1-2. Id be near enough to the Drangan/Cloneen area and it would be a great boost for the club if they have a local hero to shout for in the future

I don't the senior system should be in place and feel the only change should be for all counties to get a second chance/shot.
    Nothing wrong with a side losing twice and going on to win title but all sides should get 2 fames. Its a simple round robin with losers getting a second shot. Kerry not competing doesn't help in terms of Clare getting just 1 game and are out..

Its not so much the two games but the inconsitency of the rules. If one team should be entitled to two games then they all should across all provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Just after seeing the score in the minor game, did they ever look like giving Kerry a run for their money?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Its not so much the two games but the inconsitency of the rules. If one team should be entitled to two games then they all should across all provinces.
    They should but is their any desire in Leinster for this change? We shouldn't look to go back to straight knock out because Leinster have straight k/o.

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Just after seeing the score in the minor game, did they ever look like giving Kerry a run for their money?

No to be quite frank about it. Bit of naivety about our approach. We were poor for the goals by the sounds of it. Brian Lacey didnt sound too impressed with our marking

• Advertisement

They should but is their any desire in Leinster for this change? We shouldn't look to go back to straight knock out because Leinster have straight k/o.

Im not against the backdoor personally and i agree that lads make too many sacrifiices to be out after one defeat. Leinster do have a second chance also i think. Kilkenny got hammered by Dublin the first day out last year but beat them easily in the leinster final last year. I just think the two provinces should bang their heads together and come up with some sort of a backdoor system that would suit both because there is no denying the current system is a joke.

Im not against the backdoor personally and i agree that lads make too many sacrifiices to be out after one defeat. Leinster do have a second chance also i think. Kilkenny got hammered by Dublin the first day out last year but beat them easily in the leinster final last year. I just think the two provinces should bang their heads together and come up with some sort of a backdoor system that would suit both because there is no denying the current system is a joke.
    What system would you like in place if you could get a change?
    I wouldn't say the current system is a joke. Certainly isn't perfect but isn't too bad

I wouldn't say the current system is a joke. Certainly isn't perfect but isn't too bad

Well as a Tipperary fan, if it had been ourselves instead of Clare that were knocked out after a solitary game id be absolutely livid. and more so that others were afforded an extra chance that we werent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

No to be quite frank about it. Bit of naivety about our approach. We were poor for the goals by the sounds of it. Brian Lacey didnt sound too impressed with our marking

A pity. Stephen was a big loss.

Each loser enters the backdoor in an open draw akin to the seniors. It wouldnt be a whole lot different and would avoid the chance of repeat meetings at least. And id throw Galway and Antrim into Leinster while were at it. The weaker teams then play in a B championship with relegation and promotion to/from

All ireland minor QF's would see Leinster and Munster runners up play two qualifier winners and so on. If all teams had at least two games id have absolutely no problem with it. But a situation where some counties can only play one game and others could have up to three games is not on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

No it doesnt. Clare had one game in Thurles, they lost it and they are now out of the championship

Apologies, didn't realise Kerry weren't in this year.

Each loser enters the backdoor in an open draw akin to the seniors. It wouldnt be a whole lot different and would avoid the chance of repeat meetings at least. And id throw Galway and Antrim into Leinster while were at it. The weaker teams then play in a B championship with relegation and promotion to/from

All ireland minor QF's would see Leinster and Munster runners up play two qualifier winners and so on. If all teams had at least two games id have absolutely no problem with it. But a situation where some counties can only play one game and others could have up to three games is not on.
    How would you fit in all these extra games considering there can be no gams in June due to leaving cert and these guys will be playing senior club and numerous other grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Relegation and promotion at underage makes no sense, you are essientally awarding or punishing a set of players based on how another set of players performed.

Re Galway and Antrim, the Leinster counties all voted against Galway joining Leinster at minor/U21 level 6 years ago, so I can't see why they would cahnge their mind now.

Should be no back door in Minor at all IMO, its one of the ingredients that makes the U21 championship as special as it is.

danganabu wrote: »
    Relegation and promotion at underage makes no sense, you are essientally awarding or punishing a set of players based on how another set of players performed.

Re Galway and Antrim, the Leinster counties all voted against Galway joining Leinster at minor/U21 level 6 years ago, so I can't see why they would cahnge their mind now.

Should be no back door in Minor at all IMO, its one of the ingredients that makes the U21 championship as special as it is.
    There should be aback door in minor. Minor is primarily about player development and straight knock out doesn't aid player development

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

There should be aback door in minor. Minor is primarily about player development and straight knock out doesn't aid player development

Straight knock out is the way to go.

Don't think there's any need for more games at minor level.

Most of these guys are playing both codes, under 21, Colleges & senior so plenty of matches for development.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Most of these guys are playing both codes, under 21, Colleges & senior so plenty of matches for development.
    Straight knock out isn't the way to go. These players game time/numbers should be managed better but reducing number of inter county minor games isn't way to go. Top inter county minor players especially if they play both codes should be managed better but they should get 2 bites at cherry in minor championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

These players are already playing far too much, there was a clubmate of mine last year who was on the minor football and hurling teams and he was in Thurles training 41 out of 42 nights in a 6 week period, thats absolute madness.

danganabu wrote: »
    These players are already playing far too much, there was a clubmate of mine last year who was on the minor football and hurling teams and he was in Thurles training 41 out of 42 nights in a 6 week period, thats absolute madness.
    That's where the issue is not the number of games played its the number of training sessions and team coaches insisting players go to every session regardless of them being on 1 other team or 5 or 6 other teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Three championship games on in Semple the day before the Munster Hurling Final... I know we have a good grounds team....but, surely, they must be pissed off...

Tipperary v Louth, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 2.45pm
    Dublin v Limerick, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 5pm
    Clare v Cork, Semple Stadium, Thurles, 7pm

Wonder how it will affect the pitch for the munster final...

Three championship games on in Semple the day before the Munster Hurling Final... I know we have a good grounds team....but, surely, they must be pissed off...

And with minor game beforehand the Senior final will be 5th game in 24 hours or so. You def would expect them to be frustrated. Why has this been done. Surely another venue could have been found....

• Advertisement

Some Crowd in thurles this Weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Was listening to the game on the radio earlier and by the sounds of things the Kingdom were well drilled but im not so sure about our lads. A microcosm of the senior really their lads were far cuter and more ruthless.

Good to see Aidan Buckley getting 1-2. Id be near enough to the Drangan/Cloneen area and it would be a great boost for the club if they have a local hero to shout for in the future

He had a really good game , great for the Club who have a strong Footballing tradition , have won the County Senior Championship in the past .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »

That's some value @€;20.

Anyone know which games are on TV and whether rte or sky?

digzy wrote: »
    That's some value @€;20.

Anyone know which games are on TV and whether rte or sky?

Limerick v Dublin on RTE
    Cork vs clare on Sky Sports.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Hope the field is in good nick for 4 o clock sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

your dead right.
    I would scrap U - 21 and force minors to pick one code.
    What is going on is madness for an amateur sport, young men burnt out.
    We all could name fellas who were county under age stars and are now very average club players. Burnt out from Training like pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

buggy beag wrote: »
    Hope the field is in good nick for 4 o clock sunday

The most important thing on Saturday, is that the footballers win.

The two teams will be playing on the same pitch on Sunday, and the pitch will be fine.

The day is coming, if it is not already here when you will have three games on, on the same day in Croke Park.

Makes sense with a capacity of over 80.000.

Great opportunity for hurling fans to see a couple of extra games!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Its a bit much to be honest. Im all on for value for money but 5 games in two days might be too demanding on any field. Double headers are grand but a triple header might be a bit much to sit through the whole lot although to be fair to the GAA we often accuse them of money grabbing and yet they have scheduled three games together.

Despite the break in the weather today, the ground is rock hard at the moment and perhaps it needs the bit of hydration although you could argue the hard ground will suit our game a bit better. Our touch will be vital against Waterford and I would think its come along way since April 19th

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

George Hannigan out for the season

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement