Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was in a meeting with one of the founders the other day.

Hmmm......In talks over a possible CiderStop? CiderGame? :p

Jesus I miss gamesworld. I remember queuing up on Stephens day one year, massive crowd in there everyone with a copy of GTA 3 in their hand. Except me, I had harvest moon back to nature. I think I made the right choice:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I was in a meeting with one of the founders the other day.
    He found their current state quite funny, and sad
    Has he ever thought about opening up a new chain of game stores or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Has he ever thought about opening up a new chain of game stores or something?

Yeah, he was behind Smartspot, mostly for trading in tech, and some games, but there's just no money in bricks and mortar anymore.

But, boy, does he have some stories, being at E3, CEX, top Sony Europe brass when the PS was flying high, the glory years of around 94 to early 00's.
    I was lucky enough to be working there in those days, in my days off from nursing and it was a blast to be there.
    The only membership cards we had were for the game rental scheme, you could rent out carts each night/week, ran really well too.

I would have been the tall skinny guy with glasses and a manky beard, I worked mostly in the Abbey St counter, at the back of Chapters, but I spent a good deal of time in the Liffey St shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm still worried it will be too far up it's own arse and be more Lords of Shadow than Castlevania but it doesnt' look bad. Also the Netflix Voltron reboot was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So the Mrs moved over from the UK last weekend.

She asked me to put a game on for her last night as I was heading to bed early.

She asked for an RPG style game like Final Fantasy... I couldn't think of anything in my collection like that as it's not really my type of game. Then I had a thought...

Here she is getting her mandatory Shenmue education. So far after a few hours of playing it she loves it and can't believe that it was released in 1999.

18620073_10213459560826230_3574634276283724220_n.jpg?oh=26d0f153c27b07c234406f480dd0b640&oe=59BBF437

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to let her play a Final Fantasy type game and don't want to betray that sega zealotism love then you can't go wrong with Skies of Arcadia. Great RPG and loads of Sega blue skys. I wish sega made more RPGs :(

One caveat, the Dreamcast random battle rate is insane so the GC version is considered the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭Inviere

Ikea Lappland - noice. Will be putting my own together the weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, if you were in bed, early like, and she is playing Shenmue/Sailor dating sim, who is taking the photo?
    Or, are you there, in the nip, with the camera resting on your..... tripod.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

So, if you were in bed, early like, and she is playing Shenmue/Sailor dating sim, who is taking the photo?

Ciderman ya bleedin durtburd. I'm a bit drunk......

Expect shenanigans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Bit of a sing song going on in my gaff.

We just did a big Cheers to Ariana grande after what happened in Manchester. Abosulelty no one deserves to go through that. Heart goes out to her and the victims.

State of the place!
    Clean it up at once!

...obviously I was sitting there rubbing one out to her playing Shenmue.

Clearly.

MrVestek wrote: »
    ...obviously I was sitting there rubbing one out to her playing Shenmue.

Clearly.

Don't say that, even joking.
    Someone is bound to quote it in seven years, when you've got a clatter of kids and are, finally, respectable.

Anyways... The shaking would mess up the shot...

Don't say that, even joking.
    Someone is bound to quote it in seven years, when you've got a clatter of kids and are, finally, respectable.

Anyways... The shaking would mess up the shot...

Well you're in luck. I don't ever plan on coming across as respectable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

In the market for a CRT, can anyone recommend one that does not have too high of an annoying high pitched ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Doge

7QiCxhY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Burzum wrote: »
    In the market for a CRT, can anyone recommend one that does not have too high of an annoying high pitched ring to it.

High pitched ring? Not come across that problem myself. Sony Trinitron is a great place to start, cheap and great picture on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Tranny is fecked if its ringing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Its a sound I hear from all crt's (to varying degrees) it sounds like the sound those noise emitters give out that people use to try keep animals out of there gardens, but I find it irritating and it ends up giving me a headache after 30-40 minutes.
    Local Charity shop has a few in the back will ask to plug them in and try before i buy hopefully find something good.

Tranny is fecked if its ringing like that.

I had a joke there, but common decency prevents me from saying it.
    And I'll probably infract anyone else who says it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I had a joke there, but common decency prevents me from saying it.
    And I'll probably infract anyone else who says it.....
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Its a sound I hear from all crt's (to varying degrees) it sounds like the sound those noise emitters give out that people use to try keep animals out of there gardens, but I find it irritating and it ends up giving me a headache after 30-40 minutes.
    Local Charity shop has a few in the back will ask to plug them in and try before i buy hopefully find something good.

Sounds like you have what Chuck's got

150301-news-better-call-saul.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Upgraded my PS3 to a 1TB drive to download everything I bought digitally over the years in case Sony ever shuts the servers down. I just had not reckoned with how ****ing awful Sony software is. The OS is ****ing awful and the speed, or lack thereof, of Sonys servers means I'll be finished archiving everything by the next millennium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yep the PSN download speeds are shocking, saying that i downloaded RDR for free on PSN+ 8GB in an hour last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I think the Switch is the fastest console for downloads that I've ever owned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement