Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Redlion wrote: »
    I'm looking to pick up a "Nintendo GameCube GC RGB SCART (PAL) wired for composite sync CSYNC" from RetroGamingCables but they seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know any other online stores that offer a good alternative?

Thanks in advance!

Link here: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/NINTENDO-GAMECUBE-RGB-SCART-CABLE-COMPOSITE-SYNC-CSYNC?search=Gamecube%20

Try http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

eddhorse wrote: »

No luck unfortunately, cheers anyway!

What was wrong with their ones?
    You can email them for a special cable to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

eddhorse wrote: »
    What was wrong with their ones?
    You can email them for a special cable to be made.

Oh I didn't know they custom made. I just saw that they had regular RGB cables without CSYNC. The reason I'm looking to find RGB with CSYNC is that you apparently get a cleaner picture. I'm open to correction, I'm not quite up on the topic of RGB.

In the meantime I had emailed RetroGamingCables, and they've said they're making more of the Gamecube CSYNC variant today, so I was able to place an order.

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely keep Consolegoods in mind for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

Shamelessly stolen from the Film forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Hey folks, remember text adventures? Well...

http://election-game.co.uk/

Hey folks, remember text adventures? Well...

http://election-game.co.uk/
    Awesome ! Love me some text adventures

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My 360 has been retired to the gamesroom upstairs and now sits in that uneasy space between retro and almost current consoles.
    The PS2 is making fun of it when I'm not in the room, I'm sure of it.....

Anyways, connected it up and it logged into the network, probably the first console up there that can do that, and it works a treat with the Sony Trini 29".
    And to celebrate the move, and to remind the 360 that it's still relevant, I bought Ikaruga for it and it plays like nobodies business via the aircraft carrier-esque Hori stick.
    And.... There's more, it looks pretty decent in Tate mode on the sideways CRT I've got up there as well.

I have to pick up a little 3.5mm jack to phono adapter next, and then the place will just need a tidy before you lot come over....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone here ever use that vinyl wrap stuff.

I have a huge steel table for my 37inch crt and I tried refinishing it during the week but its old stock from a slaughterhouse so its get a few dings and dents.

I was going to get a roll of some matt vinyl but wanted to see if anyone ever did it and how'd it turn out?

The TV covers the entire top so its really just the legs etc to be covered

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Polybius is out, on the PS4 at least.
    Downloading as we speak!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Downloading as we speak!
    What are ya yakking about? Because you seem quite bullish right now?

Cattle.

What are ya yakking about? Because you seem quite bullish right now?

Cattle.

I get those references.....

Fluffy sheepie!

Downloading as we speak!

Keep us updated on this. It's the first game that got me seriously wanting a vr headset.

Keep us updated on this. It's the first game that got me seriously wanting a vr headset.

It's gorgeous, and the colours and effects, I just don't know what it might look like in VR, but on my 42" Plasma, it looks good enough to eat.
    Apparently it runs in a solid "120fps" on your headsets, so silky smooth is the word.
    I let Cidonalad have a go and he was very impressed, which is good seeing as he is busy finishing more games then I at this point, taking a break from the NG+ DS3 dlc to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's gorgeous, and the colours and effects, I just don't know what it might look like in VR,

I know. You quickly forget you have a corporeal form when playing it.

DinoRex wrote: »
    I know. You quickly forget you have a corporeal form when playing it.

I was delighted to find that, after 15 minutes, I wasn't rudely ejected out onto the New Jersey Turnpike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Might interest some people here, it's a game by the creators of PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man
    A Kickstarter for Project Rap Rabbit is now live, detailing gameplay, characters, and story! http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/project-rap-rabbit-kickstarter-campaign-now-live-gameplay-detailed/
    Project-Rap-Rabbit-battle-02-555x309.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I need to stay away from that retro games forever facebook group. 50hz apologists and people that play games in 16:9 annoy me too much.

??

The Facebook group has little interest in the authenticity of retro systems and their games, typically trumpeting titles spread across a 50" screen in 16:9 or on a emulator on a phone.
    For a closed group of retro gaming "enthusiasts" they don't really ever appreciate RGB or the positives of NTSC games and consoles either and, in my experience, rest poorly to those who might suggest it's better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The Facebook group has little interest in the authenticity of retro systems and their games, typically trumpeting titles spread across a 50" screen in 16:9 or on a emulator on a phone.
    For a closed group of retro gaming "enthusiasts" they don't really ever appreciate RGB or the positives of NTSC games and consoles either and, in my experience, rest poorly to those who might suggest it's better.

RGB, 60HZ and a CRT is the only way to play. Anything else is a compromise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

RGB, 60HZ and a CRT is the only way to play. Anything else is a compromise.

Sums it up succinctly. Some compromises are worth it, others, are seriously not :D I've been bitten hard by the emulation bug of late, thanks purely to the wonderful shader support of Retroarch, and the fantastically simple/functional Launchbox. D'ya know what the upshot of it is though? I'm actually playing games again now...as opposed to planning on what I'll play when I get my "games room" back (not likely any time soon).

For me, Nes, Snes, Megadrive, etc, through Retroarch with proper shader support (the pi hasn't enough blast processing to do the proper shaders justice) on a 43" LCD look really, really good...so much so that I'm happy to properly game that way. I'm also playing Gamecube & Wii at resolutions those consoles could only dream of (through the majestic Dolphin emulator). Personally, I feel playing through Dolphin blows the real hardware away, and has now become the definitive way to play those games (games that are emulated "perfectly" anyway, obviously not any glitchy ones).

I'm in the middle of building a bluetooth receiver for Dolphin, made out of a bluetooth receiver from an actual Wii, a 5v voltage regulator, and a push button (still waiting on some parts). Apparently then you can run the receiver through passthrough mode with Dolphin, and get 1:1 functionality that exists on a real Wii.

All of that considered, emulation is a bit like a cake....do it correctly, with the correct methods, and the correct ingredients, and it produces a very flavorful taste. Do it wrong though, and use the wrong methods and ingredients, and it's only fit for the bin. Oh, and I don't play retro games in 16:9 :D

So...any of ye listen to ARMS' music?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Anyone have a link of where I can get the chips for snes switchless mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Kickstarter for the ZX Spectrum Next has almost 2,500 backers, it's taken over half a million Sterling so far which is pretty mad for something not as powerful as a raspberry pi. There's going to be a new Dizzy and new Rex game made especially for it which is pretty cool.

I think they've hit the sweet spot for nostalgic middle age men like me, slap Sinclair on it and we'll buy it. (Though thankfully I missed the vega + sign up.)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This is what passes for a game display in Gamestop, as seen the other day.

Like OMG!
    C00L!!
    and so on...

YKy89pHl.jpg

Disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,942 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

This is what passes for a game display in Gamestop, as seen the other day.

Like OMG!
    C00L!!
    and so on...

YKy89pHl.jpg

Is that the norm, looks like some young one on work experience or something did it. If not, it's pretty crap.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Wipeout Omega missing out on the coveted OMG rating there. That's going to impact the developers bonuses.

YKy89pHl.jpg

Poor Gamesworld must be spinning in its grave

• Advertisement

Poor Gamesworld must be spinning in its grave

I was in a meeting with one of the founders the other day.
    He found their current state quite funny, and sad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement