Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plonkers proposing in public.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I'd hate it!! The fcuking pressure to say yes then. I think I'd say no just because I hate being backed into a corner. Muppets the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A closed mind is like one of those ornaments your Granny keeps on the mantlepiece and takes down to dust now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

What about proposing while on a hot air balloon ride? If she says no its going to be one long awkward journey home and nowhere to run.
    To quote George Bernard Shaw
    "Love is a misunderstanding between two fools"
    In my opinion a proposal should only be answered after some discussion. Springing it on someone out of the blue and expecting an answer straight away is madness considering the massive change it will have on your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

What about proposing while on a hot air balloon ride? If she says no its going to be one long awkward journey home and nowhere to run.
    To quote George Bernard Shaw
    "Love is a misunderstanding between two fools"
    In my opinion a proposal should only be answered after some discussion. Springing it on someone out of the blue and expecting an answer straight away is madness considering the massive change it will have on your life.

The most sensible post so far.

I think you may just be reading a little bit into it.

Its true though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Sure leave 'em to it, I don't see the harm in it at all.

Enough horrible stuff goes on in the world without moaning about someone doing something soppy and romantic in a public setting. I think it takes balls to do it, so fair play to them!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Sure leave 'em to it, I don't see the harm in it at all.

Enough horrible stuff goes on in the world without moaning about someone doing something soppy and romantic in a public setting. I think it takes balls to do it, so fair play to them!

I don't think there's anything remotely romantic about it.its selfish and egotistical and cheapens the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ agreed. My husband's knee gave way after dinner one evening. Just the two of us surrounded by dirty delph but I knew it was from the heart and the fact that he had bought a vienetta to celebrate just sealed the deal. The little things people, the little things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

I honestly don't understand public proposals. It's a major life event and a commitment between the two of you ... what's the need to do it in public? Why do you need the validation of strangers around you in such a private event? Makes no sense to me. And its all a bit needy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

It seems to be a fad now for people to propose to their other halves in as public a manner as possible.Yer man at Dublin Airport with the media in tow being a case in point.Why can't they do it in private and stop turning it into public entertainment?

I couldn't care less, even if the deflowering is in public too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Anyone who gets married at all nowadays is a plonker.

"I love you so much I want to get the government involved in our relationship!"

Relevant prank video here, the reactions are priceless. Cannot imagine how awkward it'd be to witness that but I think I'd probably crack up laughing and gtfo of there

feargale wrote: »
    I couldn't care less, even if the deflowering is in public too.

If they're prepared to make the proposal public they should go the whole hog and upload the honeymoon night to Redhotube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

People who get engaged on holidays such as Christmas and New Years always bothered me. Be a bit more unique and choose a different day...... Similar to someone proposing with their family around. I find it very cringy. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i just think there are different kinds of people, some people need/want public proposals are the kind of people who have to have the big flashy wedding, others just don't want that kind of publicity.

my husband proposed to me when it was just the two of us, and our wedding was small and complemented on the fact it was, we could have had 200+ people, nether of us wanted that, it wasn't "for show" it was us getting married to each other doing everything the way we wanted it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

darkdubh wrote: »
    Cringeworthy as feck.Egotistical and shallow carry on in the extreme.What was wrong with proposing when the couple are alone?Everything nowadays has to be a spectator sport.
    tigger123 wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand public proposals. It's a major life event and a commitment between the two of you ... what's the need to do it in public? Why do you need the validation of strangers around you in such a private event? Makes no sense to me. And its all a bit needy.

Not that different to a wedding really..

Larianne wrote: »
    Not that different to a wedding really..

A wedding is attended by your friends and family, not total strangers.

A wedding is attended by your friends and family, not total strangers.

Not always. You've got your parents friends and then sometimes random cousins you don't know but have to invite because someone said so. :pac:

Not always. You've got your parents friends and then sometimes random cousins you don't know but have to invite because someone said so. :pac:

If you don't mind me asking, are you engaged?

If you don't mind me asking, are you engaged?

Not yet. ;)

Not yet. ;)

I take it you'd prefer the public proposal then?

• Advertisement

I take it you'd prefer the public proposal then?

No, definitely not!! I wouldn't want a big wedding either. People gawking at me? No, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Nevermind a public proposal I think the whole idea of "a proposal" is a complete load of made up bull****. As if there's anything spontaneous about it! People might go through the charade, but you can be sure, that stuff is all planned out like everything else.
    Nobody can accuse me of being cold or unromantic because we all know full well, it's charade, and how can a charade be romantic.

Gettin down on one knee, like a complete ****ing dope

Advertisement