Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plonkers proposing in public.

Options
  • 24-12-2014 10:41am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

It seems to be a fad now for people to propose to their other halves in as public a manner as possible.Yer man at Dublin Airport with the media in tow being a case in point.Why can't they do it in private and stop turning it into public entertainment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd rather watch a baby seal being clubbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Enough 'no' replies should curb that ****. Then again, how many of these proposals are organised by the lady anyway?

'I was sooo surprised! Especially how he picked out the exact ring I wanted in the right size, it was amazing. Look Facebook, here's my left hand for the next month. Oh, em, I always have my nails expertly manicured, nothing suspicious about that.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I love the big public proposals that result in a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It seems to be a fad now for people to propose to their other halves in as public a manner as possible.Yer man at Dublin Airport with the media in tow being a case in point.Why can't they do it in private and stop turning it into public entertainment?

Better chance of the woman saying yes if its done in public? It's probably harder to say no when there are a group of people watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Meh...

If they want to do it then let them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

PDAs as a rule stink of insecurity and neediness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Nothing to add to this but "plonker" is a fantastic word. I'm bringing it back for 2015! Nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The timing of the proposal is very important - a 45-second pitch, followed by a fifteen-second pause while she pretends to think about it.

This means the "YES!" answer at around 00.59 just as the chorus kicks in.

PS - RIP Joe Cocker, who died two days ago.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The guy on The Rose Of Tralee last year seemed to inspire a spate of copycats.Its just cringeworthy,theres nothing remotely romantic or "cute" about it.

I've a sudden urge to watch Only Fools now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Video goes viral.
    ???
    Profit.

I'm a cynical b*stard but there you go.

Must be very embarrasing for bystanders who happen to be there especially if its in a bar or restaurant.If you don't smile and clap you look like a heartless grump.

You're better off proposing somewhere quite like a nice secluded lake.

Anyone in doubt should watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Read about yer man in Dublin airport yesterday. 20 years old, student in the USA coming home for Christmas, girlfriend (future fiancée) from the States. They met on snap chat!

If anything he will get a green card out of it, method to his madness I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Anyone who does this should be flogged by the general public and then crucified on top of Croagh Patrick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Cringeworthy as feck.Egotistical and shallow carry on in the extreme.What was wrong with proposing when the couple are alone?Everything nowadays has to be a spectator sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Anyone in doubt should watch this.

It gets better. He made a documentary about the rejection of her marriage proposal because she said the reason, why she said no. Was that his dick was too small. So he spent a year making a documentary trying to justify his size.

Its on netflix called unhung hero. Its **** dont watch it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

CPSW wrote: »
    Read about yer man in Dublin airport yesterday. 20 years old, student in the USA coming home for Christmas, girlfriend (future fiancée) from the States. They met on snap chat!

If anything he will get a green card out of it, method to his madness I think!

I knew this guy who went out of his way to meet women from The States online for the specific purpose of marrying someone for a green card.He did meet this one and went over there,that was about nine years ago never heard anything of him since.Not suggesting that was the intention of the guy in the OPs first post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hfallada wrote: »
    It gets better. He made a documentary about the rejection of her marriage proposal because she said the reason, why she said no. Was that his dick was too small. So he spent a year making a documentary trying to justify his size.
    No way. Hahahhahaha Hate that. :pac:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Plonkers proposing in public.

If you propose in public it should carry the caveat that should you divorce then you must do that in public also.
    That would soften the cough of the "look at me" crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Macavity. wrote: »
    and then crucified on top of Croagh Patrick.

The 75th vegan atheist commando put paid to that method of torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I love the big public proposals that result in a no.
    It makes me cringe. It's an awful experience for both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I always think lads just do it to 'embarrass' the girl into not saying no ;)

Years ago when working in a restaurant we had one - yer man came in and explained what he wanted and everything was set. He wanted her favourite dessert prepared with the ring perched on top. Head chef said no problem and the pastry chef surpassed himself with this gorgeous pile of profiteroles on a polished silver platter crowned by the ring.

We also made a cake with "Congratulations XXXXX & XXXXX" ready to bring out and share with whoever was dining at the time.

You know how this is going to end.......

Next evening, they come in, have their meal - dessert and ring are produced, yer man goes down on one knee - everyone watching - and she says no and runs out of the place.

Poor guy is left there - and in fairness to the head waiter he waived the bill. It took a week of calling to get him to come back in and collect the ring, her coat and handbag.

Two things - the cake was lovely, and the possibility that this was a scam to get a free meal was not discounted. Although seeing yer man's face at the time, I didn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

These need to be crashed by a flash mob flashing, a horde of selfie takers, a mini zombie apocalypse and Fleet Admiral from AH applying the steel toe cap to your mans backside when he's on one knee. Hrrrrmmph.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

For the same reason you don't keep your opinions private. If people want to propose in public, that's their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Sand

For the same reason you don't keep your opinions private. If people want to propose in public, that's their business.

No, when its done in public its our business.

Sand wrote: »

Well said,how can it just be "their business" when they insist on involving a load of complete strangers who didn't ask to involved in the whole sorry spectacle?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Sand wrote: »

No, it's not. They're not doing any harm other than irritating your ego. Be happy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its attention seeking to the extreme. What makes people think that random strangers would want to 'share' their moment.

As for yerman at Dublin airport, well it is slow news season as i suspect he knew. Every second video seems to be "look at this mothers reaction when her daughter comes home for christmas".....

Advertisement