Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plonkers proposing in public.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Well said,how can it just be "their business" when they insist on involving a load of complete strangers who didn't ask to involved in the whole sorry spectacle?

Like this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

No, it's not. They're not doing any harm other than irritating your ego. Be happy for them.

There is ego there alright, but it is on the part of the public proposer.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Its attention seeking to the extreme. What makes people think that random strangers would want to 'share' their moment.

Says the person posting on an internet form for validation. Stop moaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Says the person posting on an internet form for validation. Stop moaning.

That makes no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No, it's not. They're not doing any harm other than irritating your ego. Be happy for them.

If they do it in public it's open to praise or criticism. Them's the rules.

• Advertisement

That makes no sense at all.

Sorry you don't get it, but when you're older, it might make sense :)

kneemos wrote: »
    If they do it in public it's open to praise or criticism. Them's the rules.

Doesn't give you the right to belittle them or call them attention seekers. If they want to propose in public, so be it. Thats their business. It's only your business if you stick your nose in. Stop moaning about other people being happy :)

You are criticising me for expressing an opinion on an anonymous internet forum that is set up for people to share opinions?
    Makes no sense at all. What does my age have to do with it?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Well I don't agree that it isin't doing any harm,putting someone on the spot and embarrasing them in public is not a very cool thing to do.Its manipulative and as several people have pointed out it puts huge pressure on the girl to say yes.If she refuses then people will say shes a bitch and she humiliated him in front of so many people etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Shush, the adults are talking.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doesn't give you the right to belittle them or call them attention seekers. If they want to propose in public, so be it. Thats their business. It's only your business if you stick your nose in. Stop moaning about other people being happy :)

I have a right to voice my opinion.

Well I don't agree that it isin't doing any harm,putting someone on the spot and embarrasing them in public is not a very cool thing to do.Its manipulative and as several people have pointed out it puts huge pressure on the girl to say yes.If she refuses then people will say shes a bitch and she humiliated him in front of so many people etc etc.

is it doing any harm to you?

is it doing any harm to you?

Isis never did me any harm,does that mean I have to support them?

Isis never did me any harm,does that mean I have to support them?

Nope.

hfallada wrote: »
    It gets better. He made a documentary about the rejection of her marriage proposal because she said the reason, why she said no. Was that his dick was too small. So he spent a year making a documentary trying to justify his size.

Its on netflix called unhung hero. Its **** dont watch it

Pretty sure it was all made up.

Nope.

So if something does not "do you any harm" does that mean its grand?I wasn't personally affected by the 9/11 attacks but that dosen't mean I think twas all ok.

So if something does not "do you any harm" does that mean its grand?

I wasn't personally affected by the 9/11 attacks but that dosen't mean I think twas all ok.

If that's what you took from my post, then I guess you just don't get my point.

You're using an extreme comparisson in the wrong context.

I wasn't personally affected by the 9/11 attacks but that dosen't mean I think twas all ok.

If that's what you took from my post, then I guess you just don't get my point.

You're using an extreme comparisson in the wrong context.[/QUOTE]

I get your point alright.You asked why should public proposals bother me when they don't do me any harm?As I've pointed out just because they don't do me any harm dosen't mean I have to think theyre ok.Simple!

There's something very passive aggressive about a public proposal.

'I've proposed to you in front of all these people, if you don't say yes you're going to look like a total bitch. Got you cornered.'

I get your point alright.You asked why should public proposals bother me when they don't do me any harm?As I've pointed out just because they don't do me any harm dosen't mean I have to think theyre ok.Simple!

In all fairness, your two comparissons don't add up. I get what you're trying to say, but it doesn't work :)

The actions of ISIS affect you, I assume, because of your compassion towards humanity.
    Public proposals affect you, I assume, because you think they're attention seekers and they annoy you. Why do they annoy you? Because we all have an ego that takes control now and again, especially when irritated.
    Just be happy that someone is potentially going to be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

They should be rounded up and bull whipped for the entertainment of the masses. They're worse than paedophile nazis. The vermin of the earth and the bane of humanity. Each and every one of them. Scum. Scum the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's like a contest to see who can outdo someone else with the best proposals. Some of these you see on the likes of You Tube are over the top, and at times cringeworthy. Imagine things going tits up later on, and all that expense and effort gone down the swanny. I don't like to see public proposals in general either.

For me, personally, if I had a girlfriend, and was going to propose to her, I'd keep it low-key. Maybe whisk her away somewhere, and pop the question in a nice location with very few people, in any around. I certainly wouldn't want to be watched anyway, and for there to be a big round of applause for when she'd say yes. At least if she said no, there wouldn't be the humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Better kept private it's personal business, asking in public only creates a scene and puts pressure on the person being asked.

This is a rejection from Irish radio, listen to how pissed the woman is at her plonker boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Proposing in public is like asking your Mammy where the nice chocolates/sweets are when there are visitors in the house. The chances of her saying no reduce significantly.

Better kept private it's personal business, asking in public only creates a scene and puts pressure on the person being asked.

This is a rejection from Irish radio, listen to how pissed the woman is at her plonker boyfriend.

Yerman must have had his head up his arse to have thought that she wanted to marry him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

That's more staged than the Christmas Panto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

Candie wrote: »
    There's something very passive aggressive about a public proposal.

'I've proposed to you in front of all these people, if you don't say yes you're going to look like a total bitch. Got you cornered.'

I think you may just be reading a little bit into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

This:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I liked this proposal (might need to read the description on youtube)

Really can't see myself getting married unless it's just highly convenient, in that case the proposal'd probably stem from a conversation about taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

hfallada wrote: »
    It gets better. He made a documentary about the rejection of her marriage proposal because she said the reason, why she said no. Was that his dick was too small. So he spent a year making a documentary trying to justify his size.

Its on netflix called unhung hero. Its **** dont watch it

He seemed like an ass. You would want to be pretty sure she would say yes before you ask. Making a documentary about it was a bit much. I have seen it and it is a crap documentary. You never get to hear from her either so you dont know if it was out of the blue or not.

Advertisement