Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belvedere Students Criticised for Sleepout

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jawgap wrote: »
    Where did I say I did? (EDIT: And why would you assume I do?) I'm not sure I even commented one way or the other on the article in 10 pages of posts.

And for the record I don't - but I doubt that will suffice.

You say you dont agree with the Journalists sentiments but yet your opening gambit is this...
    Pure tokenism. This year it seems to have attracted an even more useless bunch of celebrity hangers-on.

If they really want to help the homeless, then at least open the school over the Christmas break and allow it to be used to help people on the streets.

Or.......go to a 'normal' school and have Mummy and Daddy donate the fees to a homeless charity of their choice.

I'll leave it at that. I fold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Armelodie wrote: »
    You say you dont agree with the Journalists sentiments but yet your opening gambit is this...

I'll leave it at that. I fold.

So you're changing the question? You asked not if I agreed with the journo's sentiment, but if I agreed with her.......
    Armelodie wrote: »
    So basically Jawgap, I take it you agree with what the Journalist wrote?

Ask a question, get an answer, then attribute to a different, unasked question....really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Or imagine the volunteer co-ordinator said to me, 'I know you've been doing a certain amount of work for the last X years but from next month on we want you to do something else that we think is more useful.'

Is my response 'I've always done this, it's what I do and I'm good at it.' Or do I say 'I've made a time commitment and I'll leave it to the managers to decide how that time is used' ?

In other words just because it's the last piece of chocolate it doesn't automatically follow that the sacrifice giving it up represents is the best outcome for the recipient, unless the only thing the donor has to offer is chocolate.
    How much time do you give?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

Saw 6 or so of these lads sitting in a half circle around some homeless lad on Christmas Eve. Looked really patronising and was also stopping the homeless lad getting money in his cup for drugs. He didn't look too happy.

How much time do you give?

Seriously? People are aware of the search function and how it works aren't they?

I've already answered that question.

• Advertisement

Seriously? People are aware of the search function and how it works aren't they?

no

I can't find a post where you say you give a set no of hrs per month.

In Dec I gave four shifts to the ST vin de paul and four shifts to the DSPCA and I helped collect shoe boxes for the homeless. Most of those shifts would have been four hours or less.

I usually do far less than that.
    I give usually four hrs a week the rest of the year though. I rotate charities every few months so that I don't get bored. It means for some roles I am unsuited I can't do it as I would require training that would take longer. The DSPCA is close to my heart though. I have done work with Pieta house in the past. And more recently the St vin del paul.I choose how I help people. There would be some things I would not be prepared to do.For instance I don't think I would sleep outdoors.

I could do more I could cure cancer too but I have to look after myself too because no one else bloody does!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This idea the time could be better spent is just utter crap. This is a fundraiser to raise funds. Every charity organisation there has every been has had them. Belvo have non fundraising events throughout the year where they do what I imagine Jawgap believes are more useful or important things.
    They are two different methods of helping, both covered by the school. I can't get my head around how someone thinks their fundraiser should be split some other way.

no

Post #77 and it was quoted at the top of the previous page (fundraising stuff not included)........
    Sometimes you find those who volunteer rarely look at their watches, and quite often the one hour becomes four.

And I'm not getting into what I do or who I do it - beyond saying I am involved in advocacy and admin work (on a voluntary basis) for an organisation that deals with housing and, to a lesser degree, people coming out of homelessness. My time commitment is about 2 to 4 hours a month with them and another couple of hours each week dealing with issues remote from them. I do about 2 home visits per month, as required.

Fair play to them for raising the money, but lets not pretend it's more than that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

I worked with a lad once who said he knows what its like to be homeless because he took part in a sleepout like this once.

Any time I had for the flute went out the window after that comment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement