Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the worst Christmas song of all time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Anything by an Irish Country and Western artist

Nathan, Daniel, Big Tom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    This takes the title of sh!test song.

I worked in an Irish pub in midland England in the late 80s. Every 8th of Dec. the boss would put a new 7inch single of that recording on the juke-box. It drove me and my co-workers beserk. It was guaranteed a play at least twice every half hour from 10.30 till 23.00 from December to mid January.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I really, really hate the lame covers of classics, generally by some terrible, bland, kinda-country-pop-I-love-God types from the USA.

If you listen to the "holidays" station on Accuradio, you'll get what I mean.

They have an incredible blandtastic talent for sucking the life out of classics and traditional songs.

Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

O.A.P wrote: »
    Driving home for Christmass by Chris Rea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg

Nonsense, that's an absolute classic Christmas song.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Simply having a wonderful Christmas time

Do the know it's Christmas

Fcuking travesties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Possibly a bit controversial here, but I have to be honest. I cannot stand "Do They Know It's Christmas"
    Also I may be the only person in Ireland who can't hear "Fairytale Of New York" without wanting to throw up. A depressing dirge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

heard this the last day. made my ears hurt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭Dep!

O.A.P wrote: »
    Driving home for Christmass by Chris Rea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg

No. Just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

From the lad who won the first Big Brother:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Christmas in Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am i the only one who really hates Miarah Carrey 'All I Want For Christmas'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Mint Sauce wrote: »

Hate it too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    This years feed the world is ****.

Every version bar the original has been awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Mint Sauce wrote: »

No your not the only one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

If I could thank this post a thousand times I would. Forget about Christmas, its just a horrible song. Annoys me when I think how long its been around and how much cash Rea has made from it. Sure its only half a song at best. Actually have to leave a room when its on. Prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

KungPao wrote: »
    I really, really hate the lame covers of classics, generally by some terrible, bland, kinda-country-pop-I-love-God types from the USA.

If you listen to the "holidays" station on Accuradio, you'll get what I mean.

They have an incredible blandtastic talent for sucking the life out of classics and traditional songs.

Awful stuff.

This drivel that I discovered here sums up that although not a cover. Bad lame country-pop sh&t€ of the worst kind. And worth posting again as it is not only the worst Christmas song but one of the worst songs ever:

Possibly a bit controversial here, but I have to be honest. I cannot stand "Do They Know It's Christmas"
    Also I may be the only person in Ireland who can't hear "Fairytale Of New York" without wanting to throw up. A depressing dirge.

Fairytale of New York which I admit I like is not so much a Christmas song as a 'this is not how to do Christmas' song! Most likely based on a true story as well. If you want a happy cheery Christmas song, get out your Daniel or Cliff records but if you want to hear how some spend Christmas and be thankful you are not one of them, listen to FT of NY.

parttime wrote: »
    If I could thank this post a thousand times I would. Forget about Christmas, its just a horrible song. Annoys me when I think how long its been around and how much cash Rea has made from it. Sure its only half a song at best. Actually have to leave a room when its on. Prick

Mike Denver's version of Driving home for Christmas is the third worst Christmas song after only Happy Holidays to our troops and Grandma got run over by a reindeer.

I love David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing The Little Drummer Boy song but since I heard what an evil abusive father Bing Crosby was to his children I just don't enjoy the song anymore.

He has a kind of proudness and superiority in that video that leaves a bad taste in my mouth :-s

Saralee4 wrote: »
    I love David Bowie and Bing Crosby doing The Little Drummer Boy song but since I heard what an evil abusive father Bing Crosby was to his children I just don't enjoy the song anymore.

He has a kind of proudness and superiority in that video that leaves a bad taste in my mouth :-s

This is a tough call. I suppose one can like the song and the singing but not the person. Bing was both an abusive drunk and a very talented, versatile singer.

• Advertisement

This is a tough call. I suppose one can like the song and the singing but not the person. Bing was both an abusive drunk and a very talented, versatile singer.

Oh yea of course sure millions of Michael Jackson fans prove that ....or are they just in denial? Haha

no I think it's just Bing Crosby pompous face in that video that ruins the song for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

Woshy wrote: »
    Second vote here for Christmas Shoes. I'd actually never heard of it until I read about it in the Christmas forum. I looked it up then and at first thought it was a pisstake. It's horrific!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcPVB-we7g

Embedding YouTube not working for me :(

Agree. Sentimental Tosh of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Fairytale of New York which I admit I like is not so much a Christmas song as a 'this is not how to do Christmas' song! Most likely based on a true story as well. If you want a happy cheery Christmas song, get out your Daniel or Cliff records but if you want to hear how some spend Christmas and be thankful you are not one of them, listen to FT of NY.

You think it's a parable for our time, I think it's a depressing dirge. Plenty alternatives to Daniel or Cliff that don't leave you crying into your Christmas dinner.
    Actually if want to be thankful for not being someone over Christmas check THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Mike Denver's version of Driving home for Christmas

Ha, have to give that a listen!

Hang on till I flick on TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Nearly sure this has not been posted and it should have been if not. Olivia Newton John and John Travolta.

Dare you to last the whole lot of this. :(:eek:

I don't like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dep! wrote: »
    We may have another contender!

No way, love this. :D A glorious pisstake.

"C'mon kids!"

:D

Saralee4 wrote: »
    That is a great Christmas song! We've talked about it on another thread. It's one of the best modern ones.

It doesn't get the credit it deserves.

I totally agree, it's great. :D

The first postmodern Xmas song?

Dep! wrote: »
    I disagree. The Darkness were a parody band who were taking the p*ss and I think they'll admit to as much years from now.

I think they've already admitted that. I mean, this song is clearly a big pisstake. Doesn't take from its greatness!

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Saw an interview with Tony from E17 who wrote the song about his brother who died. The part of the song "I touch your face while you are sleeping" is actually about seeing his brother in the mortuary. Very sad song

Yeah, I love this song, it's so heartfelt. Don't really care if it's an Xmas song or not. In fact, with its subject matter, it's probably a song that many people can relate to at this time of year. His bro committed suicide too, which makes it even sadder.

• Advertisement

kfallon wrote: »
    Every version bar the original has been awful!

No, even the original is awful, patronising muck.

Advertisement