Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sullivan's Quay development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I'd prefer to see the building stand and remain empty than being knocked and used as a 'temporary car park' for the next twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say you're in a small minority where that building is concerned. Once it's levelled all the addicts will lose their spot.

When the building was open they used to sleep around the back on the cove street end.

In matters of taste, I usually find myself in the minority :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

In matters of taste, I usually find myself in the minority :P

Well...... That's me silenced :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I would love to have seen the old building renovated and repourposed. I really liked the form of that building. One of the more interesting modern architecture examples in Cork.

There’s loads of space around that building. It could have been encased in a glass facade with the present exterior being transformed into internal walls.

There is nothing structurally wrong with the building and a remodelling of the exterior would have worked quite well while maintaining a prime example of Irish brutalism.

There’s loads of space around that building. It could have been encased in a glass facade with the present exterior being transformed into internal walls.

There is nothing structurally wrong with the building and a remodelling of the exterior would have worked quite well while maintaining a prime example of Irish brutalism.

Despite its relative youth, the building does actually have structural issues. The top few floors are condemned.
    I'm sure it could have been fixed, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Despite its relative youth, the building does actually have structural issues. The top few floors are condemned.
    I'm sure it could have been fixed, though.

is it floors 5,6,7 are all gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd say you're in a small minority where that building is concerned. Once it's levelled all the addicts will lose their spot.

When the building was open they used to sleep around the back on the cove street end.

They won't disappear, they'll just move elsewhere, probably not far away. And they may well come back when the demolition is done. I love the optimism in the Echo piece as if anti social behaviour and drinking somehow vanish into thin air with a shiny new development.

Whilst I disliked the building, it's a bit sad, that like the Camden Palace /McKenzies; interesting cultural spaces and artists etc in the city centre get ousted in the favour of yet another office/hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I don't hate the building at the moment, had it been anywhere else I probably wouldn't mind it, but it is a very ugly building when you're looking down Grand Parade at it. Even around it (especially at the back), it feels disgusting. I don't mean the poor condition of it but the design, the colour, how the rain affects it. The new proposal is far far superior and I hope construction can start by the spring, being optimistic.

Also, that render linked on the last page is old, that was the original proposal. The current proposal can be seen here. It's mostly the same, just two storeys taller and some colour change (darker browns). I think it looks really good and would be a huge boost to the area, which currently feels very neglected (that's not to blame the residents, the current building causes that)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭thomil

Sheesh, this thread is dusty *cough*

Sorry for digging it out, but the Evening Echo is reporting that the Sullivan's Quay hotel project has gotten planning permission. No information about the time frame, and I'm pretty sure that we'll see a few objections being lodged, but it's a good step nonetheless.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Permission-granted-for-Corks-largest-hotel-1f90dfb7-cb4a-45e7-9d23-1740d2da9137-ds

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭opus

Used to live right behind this place so nice to see it going away finally.

445607.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Whilst I disliked the building, it's a bit sad, that like the Camden Palace /McKenzies; interesting cultural spaces and artists etc in the city centre get ousted in the favour of yet another office/hotel.

Very sad, but always going to happen. With property prices on the way back up, if you give landowners/ leasers the chance to make a lot of money by selling or developing an office building or apartment block, it's going to be very hard to turn that down. Such cultural spaces rarely generate much money, so they're always going to be squeezed out.

IIRC, the Event Centre originally was meant to include workshops / cultural spaces, but they were removed in lieu of additional student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

Walked past it today, almost the whole front gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Was hoping to see that there might be some residential units as part of this but nope - just more office space as usual

who_me wrote: »
    Very sad, but always going to happen. With property prices on the way back up, if you give landowners/ leasers the chance to make a lot of money by selling or developing an office building or apartment block, it's going to be very hard to turn that down. Such cultural spaces rarely generate much money, so they're always going to be squeezed out.

IIRC, the Event Centre originally was meant to include workshops / cultural spaces, but they were removed in lieu of additional student accommodation.

Yet the Cork tourist propaganda is all about the vibrant musical and visual arts scene here but expects artists to practice their craft with no facilities and work for buttons. No wonder so many of them are simply throwing their hands up and getting 'proper' jobs.

Knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Was hoping to see that there might be some residential units as part of this but nope - just more office space as usual

Kind of typical these days.

Yet the Cork tourist propaganda is all about the vibrant musical and visual arts scene here ..............

I wouldn't think that's at all factual really; the Cork tourist "propaganda" would be more aboutThe English Market, St. Fin Barre's Cathedral, Fitzgerald Park and Cork Public Museum, Shandon Bells, St. Anne's Church, Cork City Gaol, Blarney Castle and the Blarney Stone, Crawford Art Gallery, Blackrock Castle Observatory, Kinsale, Fota & even Cobh along with the medieval aspect of the city then alleged vibrant musical and visual arts scene you speak of.

Augeo wrote: »
    I wouldn't think that's at all factual really; the Cork tourist "propaganda" would be more aboutThe English Market, St. Fin Barre's Cathedral, Fitzgerald Park and Cork Public Museum, Shandon Bells, St. Anne's Church, Cork City Gaol, Blarney Castle and the Blarney Stone, Crawford Art Gallery, Blackrock Castle Observatory, Kinsale, Fota & even Cobh along with the medieval aspect of the city then alleged vibrant musical and visual arts scene you speak of.

Cork isn't just a collection of old buildings and not everyone is interested in same. Live music in pubs and elsewhere when all your other attractions are closed, the Opera House/Everyman and a little international music festival on the Oct bank hol weekend which you may be unaware of.
    This is going OT so take it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Can't comment on the the need for residential space in the city centre (I'd imagine a lot is needed) but large office spaces are in very, very short supply. If you need a small/mid sized office for 10-15 people, fine. But once a company grows up to 30/40+ people there are very few options out there.

Our company were looking to move to the centre, but there just weren't options there. The Airport Business Park would have been an option, but we really didn't want to move there.

Great to see this (Sullivan's Quay) will include some, in addition to One Albert Quay, Navigation House and the development on South Mall.

....... Live music in pubs and elsewhere when all your other attractions are closed, the Opera House/Everyman and a little international music festival on the Oct bank hol weekend which you may be unaware of. .............

And you reckon the folks involved might/are "simply throwing their hands up and getting 'proper' jobs" ?

There's a good view of the flattened pile of rubble if you're coming down Travers Hill. Thought they'd been told to get of it by the council?

489223.jpg

• Advertisement

Unbelievable just heard from a friend that after all this time BAM are clearing the site over the next few weeks, work has kicked off today!

517384.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Let us all pray that construction work will start too

I can't see anyone starting a new hotel build right now.
    Hopefully, I'm wrong, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don't think it's signalling that construction will start. BAM wanted to re-use the material for infill in other construction projects but were told due to the nature of the material it could not be reused. They've been arguing for the last few years about it but apparently they have finally conceded that it is not reusable and are now removing it to dispose of it. Don't expect construction to start any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

[Clutching at straws]

At least the site will be clear for the eventual work...

[/End Clutching at straws]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

blindsider wrote: »
    [Clutching at straws]

At least the site will be clear for the eventual work...

[/End Clutching at straws]

Its being cleared to be used as a car park for construction workers no doubt

The pile is slowly reducing, looking forward to see it when everything is gone.

518334.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

How did the BMW X5 end up parked facing the wrong way might be the same one pictured in the other thread driving down paul street!!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

ofcork wrote: »
    How did the BMW X5 end up parked facing the wrong way might be the same one pictured in the other thread driving down paul street!!

Meade street is two way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Sullivans quay aint though!

Advertisement