Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sullivan's Quay development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

DylanGLC wrote: »
    I did some more reading and found (on a link I posted) it has it :) "BAM has planning permission for a 120,000sq ft office block and a 180-bed hotel with a triple basement on the site of the former Revenue Commissioners office building on Sullivan’s Quay."

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Should be ok, there was no flooding there even during the great inundation of '09! I used to live just behind it so would have noticed :)

Clarion (whatever it's now called) also has a basement car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Augeo wrote: »
    Clarion (whatever it's now called) also has a basement car park.
    Clayton Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Are BAM the only company allowed build in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Are BAM the only company allowed build in Cork.

Don't think so.

All going ahead it looks likes, planning notice is up on the building & there's an article in today's Echo.

30kvfva.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

They will probably have this built before the event centre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

ofcork wrote: »
    They will probably have this built before the event centre!!

Well they will have to put their site office portacabins somewhere and the ' Event Centre ' is only over the bridge.
    Same as they used the place when they were building The Capitol complex.

That is why it is called The Event Centre, the lads do all their plans there before they go to site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

opus wrote: »

Any more news on this? Was the decision delayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

blindsider wrote: »
    Any more news on this? Was the decision delayed?

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1737436/0

Request for further info made on July 20. That's the latest I'd imagine.

Looks to be relating to the height - City asking them to bring it back down to the level that the previous planning app was at. Also some clarifications re: materials, parking, etc

Once BAM submits this info, the consideration period starts again so that'd be another 6 weeks from when/if they comply. Presume they will, just a matter of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1737436/0

Request for further info made on July 20. That's the latest I'd imagine.

Looks to be relating to the height - City asking them to bring it back down to the level that the previous planning app was at. Also some clarifications re: materials, parking, etc

Once BAM submits this info, the consideration period starts again so that'd be another 6 weeks from when/if they comply. Presume they will, just a matter of when.

Thanks for posting the link, I hadn't seen the newer, taller plans. IMO the older plans looked better even apart from the height change.

It'd be a fantastic improvement to the view down along the Grand Parade and hopefully might start a rejuvenation of the area south of the river / North of Douglas St. I'm not sure about the traffic situation though. That area really, really isn't designed for much traffic, and has only been further constricted with the addition of the cycling lane along the quay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

My only fear if they keep being forced to reduce the height is that the reason they stated they wanted it taller was they needed more rooms for a four star hotel. I think also read in the planning filed that despite it being two floors higher, it is only 5 metres higher due to the original floor to roof height being reduced. If they a desperate, though, I guess they could just remove some of the office space.

I was in the area a lot last week as it is generally our go to place to look for parking, and this development is so crucially needed. Ignoring the derelict government building, the whole area has a run down feel and this could greatly increase it, added with the Nano Nagle Place development and the building being built next to it

My only fear if they keep being forced to reduce the height is that the reason they stated they wanted it taller was they needed more rooms for a four star hotel. I think also read in the planning filed that despite it being two floors higher, it is only 5 metres higher due to the original floor to roof height being reduced. If they a desperate, though, I guess they could just remove some of the office space.

It certainly seems quite a bit taller, if you look at the photomontages (think it was pages 7 and 8 in the link above). The taller design isn't just taller, but looks blockier too. I wouldn't mind taller buildings so much if they had a bit more imagination than bland monolithic cuboids.
    I was in the area a lot last week as it is generally our go to place to look for parking, and this development is so crucially needed. Ignoring the derelict government building, the whole area has a run down feel and this could greatly increase it, added with the Nano Nagle Place development and the building being built next to it

Definitely - that whole area between the river and Douglas St.. For a district so close to the city centre it's seen very little development / renovation. And it has some nice features - the Nano Nagle building, the Red Abbey square, St. Finbarr's South, some lovely buildings on Margaret St., the pedestrianised streets/steps up from Douglas St to Friar's Walk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

who_me wrote: »
    It certainly seems quite a bit taller, if you look at the photomontages (think it was pages 7 and 8 in the link above). The taller design isn't just taller, but looks blockier too. I wouldn't mind taller buildings so much if they had a bit more imagination than bland monolithic cuboids.

I share the same feeling. Nothing against the tall building, I actually like them... But with decent architecture.

The taller version in the planning seems so bulky and... ugly, while the shorter is actually very tasteful, with all the timber (is it timber?) elements on the outside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Don't get me wrong, I like the old proposal too and I would still be delighted if it went ahead. I just think with the width and length and of Grand Parade, it could use a really tall building at the end to compliment (lol at 12 stories being really tall but it is an older area and I can understand the sensitivity). I can understand people not wanting to put 7+ storey buildings on Patrick's Street, Grand Parade, even South Mall. However, the Docklands needs to be at least be able to include tall buildings. On top of main buildings there already being tall, it is a new start for the city, a fresh canvas. Why do the exact same thing we already have and instead making something like the high rise area in Paris. I am getting off topic, though

Don't get me wrong, I like the old proposal too and I would still be delighted if it went ahead. I just think with the width and length and of Grand Parade, it could use a really tall building at the end to compliment (lol at 12 stories being really tall but it is an older area and I can understand the sensitivity). I can understand people not wanting to put 7+ storey buildings on Patrick's Street, Grand Parade, even South Mall. However, the Docklands needs to be at least be able to include tall buildings. On top of main buildings there already being tall, it is a new start for the city, a fresh canvas. Why do the exact same thing we already have and instead making something like the high rise area in Paris. I am getting off topic, though

I'm (generally) less concerned about height and more about variety, features and "lack of boxiness". Personally, I hope they retain the existing city centre as an 'old town' and then 'go to town!" on the docklands. Particularly the South docklands, there have been some great, ambitious and varied proposals for that area.

I think the 40 storey hotel proposal for the Custom House quay is a bizarre choice of site; both in terms of access, parking, other potential uses for the site, risk of damage to the quays and existing buildings, risk of flooding, and - IMO - being an aesthetically odd choice juxtapositioned next to beautiful old 2-story warehouses. But I'd love to see that building elsewhere in the South Docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Currently smoking from the top floors. this might accelerate the demolition at least. 
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/emergency-services-rush-to-scene-of-fire-in-cork-city-centre-806799.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Currently smoking from the top floors. this might accelerate the demolition at least. 
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/emergency-services-rush-to-scene-of-fire-in-cork-city-centre-806799.html

Whoever designed and built that thing should've been sacked day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

They are going to demolish it in the next few weeks. Good riddance. what an eyesore. Hopefully it will expedite whatever plans they have for the site.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/former-cork-tax-office-to-be-knocked-after-two-fires-459496.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,954 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Meursault wrote: »
    They are going to demolish it in the next few weeks. Good riddance. what an eyesore. Hopefully it will expedite whatever plans they have for the site.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/former-cork-tax-office-to-be-knocked-after-two-fires-459496.html

It's a sad fcuking day when scrotes setting fire to buildings is the way of expediting building works...

Wonder what's up next to be torched? The Beamish Counting House maybe?

It's a sad fcuking day when scrotes setting fire to buildings is the way of expediting building works...

The Sunbeam was a listed building demolished because of fire.

The good shepherd was partly demolished in 2003 after a fire, the 2012 fire didn't go that far thank god.

The fire in our lady's hospital in 2010 prevented construction on one half of it, again listed.

St Kevin's 2017, looks like it can be saved, again listed.

Vernon mount 2016 burned to the ground and most likely awaiting demolition.

This kip of a building in town isn't listed thank god.

All of these buildings bar the sunbeam were vacant and developers wanted the land.

Reducing the value in the process most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Clearly, I was being facetious here. I don't agree with sc*mbags going around lighting fires and needlessly putting the fire brigade in danger.

The point I am trying to make is that the building is an eye sore and it will be no harm to see it knocked.

What was left happen to the other listed buildings that succumbed to arson is an absolute shame and disgrace on the public bodies that are responsible for maintaining these buildings.

Maybe it will expedite the re-building process. Fingers crossed. It would be good to see that end of town get a face lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

It certainly was an eye sore, hopefully what replaces it isnt goping to be another copy and paste office block, given its got a prominent position looking down grand parade.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    It certainly was an eye sore, hopefully what replaces it isnt goping to be another copy and paste office block, given its got a prominent position looking down grand parade.

In this article it looks very unusual.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/BAM-lodge-new-plans-for-Sullivans-Quay-site-7d0b6f3a-5484-4211-bcf5-0ebb43862e2a-ds
    Pity there isn't more of the computer generated images closer to the area.

In this article it looks very unusual.
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/BAM-lodge-new-plans-for-Sullivans-Quay-site-7d0b6f3a-5484-4211-bcf5-0ebb43862e2a-ds
    Pity there isn't more of the computer generated images closer to the area.

That proposal is nice. There is another one, which looks actually horrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,859 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I would love to have seen the old building renovated and repourposed. I really liked the form of that building. One of the more interesting modern architecture examples in Cork.

I would love to have seen the old building renovated and repourposed. I really liked the form of that building. One of the more interesting modern architecture examples in Cork.

I sometimes get the appeal of brutalism, but this is horrible example IMHO...

• Advertisement

I'd say you're in a small minority where that building is concerned. Once it's levelled all the addicts will lose their spot.

When the building was open they used to sleep around the back on the cove street end.

Advertisement