Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Both Croke Park and Lansdowne Road are imcomplete. They have been stunted by bad planning and local NIMBYism. Both are three quarters of the venues they should be. The north end of each ground is a token stand.

Where else would you see such magificent stadiums with a piece cut out of them? Nowhere. National embarrassment. X2.

As Australian mate of mine has been to both Croker and Lansdowne since they were renovated. He later remarked "You guys seem like world leaders when it comes to building three quarters of a stadium". He's right too. The funny thing is that when Croke Park was built the Irish media and GAA were falling over themselves to tell us how it is "one of the finest stadiums in the world". Maybe it would have been if they'd finished it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

The fact that everyone thinks Thierry Henry's handball done Ireland out of a place in the World Cup.

It didn't. It done us out of a penalty shoot-out.

Who knows how that would have went.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

HIB wrote: »
    5/6 nations rugby.

A tournament with only 5/6 teams and we've only won it 3 times in the last 30 years.

Maybe not THE most embarrassing, but embarrassing none the less.
    You do also have the European Nations Cup, where there are 6 tiers below the Six Nations. 31 European teams in total play at a level below the 6 Nations.
    Of course most of the countries that play at a standard below the 6 Nations the game is very much a minority sport (with the exception of countries like Georgia, Romania and Andorra).
    We did lose 2 Championships in the last 10 years on points difference, which during the start of your selected 30 year period would have resulted in shared Championships.

But yes we had a very bad spell in the late 80's and early 90's where we were pretty rubbish. Anyway despite there being only 6 teams competing, the sport is played at an extremely high level, and I while I don't think we've achieved anything near what we could of in the last 30 years I wouldn't say it's anything to be embarrassed about either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Muahahaha wrote: »
    As Australian mate of mine has been to both Croker and Lansdowne since they were renovated. He later remarked "You guys seem like world leaders when it comes to building three quarters of a stadium". He's right too. The funny thing is that when Croke Park was built the Irish media and GAA were falling over themselves to tell us how it is "one of the finest stadiums in the world". Maybe it would have been if they'd finished it :rolleyes:

To be honest I'd rather Croke Park to the characterless bowls that most Australian (and most other modernly developed) stadiums are, they're horrible to look at.

Frankly Croke Park was over developed they should have had terracing at the canal end as well, but the horseshoe shape gives it a distinctive feel also if you look at the NFL in America Seattle and New Englands stadiums have a similar looks to Croke Park where one side is different to the other 3 so it isn't just in Ireland that have so called uncompleted stadiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭nerobert

I know its not really an embarrassment but when Theirry Henry hand balled the ball in the 2010 qualifier I was pretty disgusted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

Big Ears wrote: »
    You do also have the European Nations Cup, where there are 6 tiers below the Six Nations. 31 European teams in total play at a level below the 6 Nations.
    Of course most of the countries that play at a standard below the 6 Nations the game is very much a minority sport (with the exception of countries like Georgia, Romania and Andorra).
    We did lose 2 Championships in the last 10 years on points difference, which during the start of your selected 30 year period would have resulted in shared Championships.

But yes we had a very bad spell in the late 80's and early 90's where we were pretty rubbish. Anyway despite there being only 6 teams competing, the sport is played at an extremely high level, and I while I don't think we've achieved anything near what we could of in the last 30 years I wouldn't say it's anything to be embarrassed about either.

You shouldn't feed the anti-rugby trolls. The irish rugby team is not an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Roy Keane. He was a hero of mine growing up but the way he acted in Saipan was a disgrace. It's a further disgrace that the FAI took him back afterwards.

And some of the crap he's come out with over the years since just shows how arrogant the man is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I think the railway line behind the Nally/Hill 16 end is why they can't finish it off. With the Aviva the residents at that end protested about blocked sun light so they had to revise their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Here's a really embarrassing one that had nothing to do with results and made world news. In 1985 the Republic of Ireland played Italy in a friendly soccer match in Dalymount Park, Dublin. It became a free for all as it became evident the FAI had under estimated the turn out. I had reserved terrace tickets which was in front of the original stand. When I arrived at the ground with my father all the gates were open and people with no tickets were being allowed in. Ended up in the school end. People were even sitting around the side lines. A ****ing shambles that only the FAI could orchestrate.

Here's a decent article on it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/seconds-from-disaster-26571556.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

JC01 wrote: »
    Roy Keane. He was a hero of mine growing up but the way he acted in Saipan was a disgrace. It's a further disgrace that the FAI took him back afterwards.

And some of the crap he's come out with over the years since just shows how arrogant the man is

Having no training gear and the majority of the players treating it as a holiday camp was a bigger disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

You shouldn't feed the anti-rugby trolls. The irish rugby team is not an embarrassment.

Current team are not an embarrassment. They won last year. The general record I do find somewhat embarrassing. Shows a bit of a penchant for under achievement.

Cork footballers and Liverpool are other teams that spring to mind when I think 'under achievers'.

So, no I'm not 'anti rugby'. But sport is about winning, and I admire teams who win their fair share or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

wadacrack wrote: »
    tony cascarino..no irish heritage at all..just used the country for his football career

Cascarino was entitled to an Irish passport, and therefore to play for Ireland.

In his book he wrote that he wasn't, presumably to sell copies of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

HIB wrote: »
    5/6 nations rugby.

A tournament with only 5/6 teams and we've only won it 3 times in the last 30 years.

Maybe not THE most embarrassing, but embarrassing none the less.
    We were deadful in the late 80s and 90s as has been mentioned, but to be fair meanwhile in football we have competed in 34 WC/EC qualifying campaigns over the span of 55 years and finished have top... never.

I think the railway line behind the Nally/Hill 16 end is why they can't finish it off. With the Aviva the residents at that end protested about blocked sun light so they had to revise their plans.

I regularly have the argument with a friend of mine that the gaa isn't a top class stadium because of the Hill 16 end.

He argues that it is because of the 'very good reason' that it can't be finished.

The reason is pretty irrelevant though. It looks absolutely awful because of that end.

Same goes for the Aviva, though in fairness, at least it looks class from the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭BigBrownBear

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Here's a really embarrassing one that had nothing to do with results and made world news. In 1985 the Republic of Ireland played Italy in a friendly soccer match in Dalymount Park, Dublin. It became a free for all as it became evident the FAI had over sold it. I had reserved terrace tickets which was in front of the original stand. When I arrived at the ground with my father all the gates were open and people with no tickets were being allowed in. Ended up in the school end. People were even sitting around the side lines. A ****ing shambles that only the FAI could orchestrate.

That could have been a disaster of Hillsborough proportions. I didn't have a ticket cos they were taking cash at the stiles. The crush at the shopping centre end was so bad they had to open the gates. I was swept into the ground without my feet touching the ground I should have been walking on.
    If somebody had've stumbled an fell....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

Billy86 wrote: »
    Those matches are taken considerably more competitively than football friendlies. You must have missed New Zealand celebrating when they beat us with the last kick of the game last year?

And? What relevance is that?

(They were celebrating for a quite different reason, by the way.)

Facts are, the matches are non competitive.

Impressive list of boxing achievements there right enough and yes our golfers are on a roll.

But no, I would argue that horseracing has been our most successful sport on a consistent level for over 50 years and especially the last 20 years in both National Hunt and on the Flat. Our breeders, trainers, jockeys and of course our horses are proven world beaters.

But its a debate for another thread because there is nothing embarrassing about out boxers or our horseracing people.

Horse racing is not a sport, it's purely a means to facilitate gambling. The amount of money wasted on that is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

Over 200 posts and not mention of

New Zealand 60 - 0 Ireland in 2012.

So good nobody remembers.

Had to google that one,

Just goes to show that these rugby end of season "tests" really don't mean much. It's probably the way the Aussies, kiwis and South Africans view the authunm internationals.

JC01 wrote: »

I would contend the likes of you are an embarrassment. The way you cannot see what actually happened in Eaipan, or do not want to see what happened, is a joke. Facts were Keane was fighting for a more professional approach from the FAI and was let down. The management and other players were on a jolly, just happy to be there.

• Advertisement

Unless you are going to demolish the street of houses behind it and reroute the Sligo train route the stadium isnts going to look finished. And even it if it was could we justify have a hundred thousand seater stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

I would contend the likes of you are an embarrassment. The way you cannot see what actually happened in Eaipan, or do not want to see what happened, is a joke. Facts were Keane was fighting for a more professional approach from the FAI and was let down. The management and other players were on a jolly, just happy to be there.

What a ridiculous statement. I'm taking particular issue with the last line.

McCarthy & the players have always said they should have done better in that World Cup. The team was properly prepared, the conditioning of that team was second to none. The team finished all 4 games stronger than their opponents. A lack of quality up front (something that has always dogged irish teams) was the reason we didn't beat Cameroon & Spain.

Keane spat the dummy out when he didn't get his own way. When 90% of the squad backed McCarthy & turned their back on Keane it tells you everything you need to know about that deadbeat. Keane is a quitter, always was & always will be.

Suprised no one has mentioned it yet but February 95, Ireland England soccer match abandoned.

I was at the game and while the English were the main trouble we weren't exactly angels either. Granted we didn't rip up the seats but there was plenty of vile being shouted over and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cormac Reilly, GAA ref.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

The relevance is that they are not treated as a walkabout in the same way football friendlies are. If they were, you wouldn't have Australian coaches and players punching a hole in the wall (or door?) of the changing rooms out of frustration from losing a few weeks ago. They're obviously not the be all and end all, but compared to football friendlies where a b team play against a c team, they do mean more.

And at 5:35 does this look like a team that just won the World Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

Test matches in rugby are not taken as lightly as soccerball friendlies. Before the rugby WC was created they were the only way the southern and northern hemisphere woukd meet and still are the main way to meet. They are tests not friendlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

only read the first couple of pages. Has anyone mentioned drawing with Lichtenstein?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

That could have been a disaster of Hillsborough proportions. I didn't have a ticket cos they were taking cash at the stiles. The crush at the shopping centre end was so bad they had to open the gates. I was swept into the ground without my feet touching the ground I should have been walking on.

Crazy night. Found this article about it. Good read.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/seconds-from-disaster-26571556.html

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

Been at a few gaa matches that were downright dangerous as well. Blatant overcrowding in the terraces, and then being forced to open the gates and let crowd onto the sideline during the match. Also saw guards lifting kids out of the terraces on one occasion. Wouldn't bring kids into the terraces now tbh. Not for big games anyway.

Speaking of which, will the terraces be useable for the rugby WC, if we win the bid? All the capacity estimates for the grounds seem to take terrace space into account. But surely that's flawed....it'll be seated space only?

• Advertisement

coopdog85 wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement. I'm taking particular issue with the last line.

McCarthy & the players have always said they should have done better in that World Cup. The team was properly prepared, the conditioning of that team was second to none. The team finished all 4 games stronger than their opponents. A lack of quality up front (something that has always dogged irish teams) was the reason we didn't beat Cameroon & Spain.

Keane spat the dummy out when he didn't get his own way. When 90% of the squad backed McCarthy & turned their back on Keane it tells you everything you need to know about that deadbeat. Keane is a quitter, always was & always will be.

The team was so properly prepared they decided to fly one hour time zone past Japan so they would be better acclimatised when they got there.(Ray Treacy's exact words to justify picking Saipan)

McCarthy failed to spot Spain were down to 10 men, continuing to play with 4 defenders against one attacker for half an hour.
    McCarthy said it was "pointless" practising penalties so they didn't practise.
    McCarthy picked Ian Harte in every match and took him off in every match, despite it being obvious to the World and his mother that he was in the depths of a slump.
    McCarthy was a joke. He ordered Keane to leave.

Keane is the best player to have played for Ireland in the past 20 years. Our great shame, as a nation, was there weren't enough like minded players and staff to get the best results possible, instead, like McCarthy, Quinn, Staunton, happy to be there for the party.
    Keane was a winner, the rest pathetic losers. Tell me what Mattie Holland ever did for Ireland?
    McCarthy was the manager who told Denis Irwin, with countless medals, premiership appearances and international caps, to go out "and prove yourself "
    I was at every home qualifying match for the campaign and we qualified despite McCarthy, not because of him. He's found his level at Ipswich, a mid table championship team. Remember the match v Holland? Roy Keane drove the team that day like never before. He set the tone and the others followed. Ireland was greatly helped by tactical naivety from Louis Van Gaal who ended up with four centre forwards on the pitch having replaced two wingers.

A blind man could see how Ireland, 2002, were so desperately let down by management. A golden opportunity lost forever.

Advertisement