Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Katie Taylor's accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

youtheman wrote: »
    I remember the day the GAA officially voted to allow the 'foreign games' in Croke Park. RTE went around doing a Vox Pop and recording both sides of the argument. They recorded a GAA head at a match and he was saying "I wouldn't even leave that soccer crowd in the gate...". And there he was ..........wearing a Celtic Hat. Priceless.

Reminds me of an even deeper memory (both in time and darkness) of a young protester in Dublin during the H Block demos being asked a question regarding his "anti-brit" feelings....... and he was wearing a Man United Scarf!

Back to the point - wasn't it in LA when yer man twice knocked down the Hammer Cage, not Atlanta??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

sup_dude wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Cian O Connor by any length. In his defence though, that was very unreasonable and not entirely his fault. Cian wasn't the only one who was taken out of the running. They were EXTREMELY strict that year. The trace of the drug found in Waterford Crystal was given to the horse months beforehand by a vet as a treatment and would ordinarily not have affected the results. Although the drug was in the system still, it would not have had any effect of the horse. Like I said, the FEI were very very very strict that year and have since apologised and admitted they made a mistake with the strictness of the drug testing.

Bull **** Cian.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

For the record, I dont mind people supporting English/Scottish clubs-their choice. If the reason is "The quality is better" or "I see them on TV more", or "They are more successful in Europe", then fine, support away.

But what is embarrassing is those who try to justify their support of a British club by claiming "They have an Irish connection". In that case why not support an actual Irish club. If it's "Irish Connections" you're after, then what bigger an Irish connection can a club have than actually being Irish?

What about supporting a club in another country because the quality is good and because they have irish players...or in my case, had irish players when I started following them when I was 8 years of age. Do I still embarrass you then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,886 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Podge83 wrote: »
    But the gougers do come over - for the soccer

Yeah but its under strict supervision, on special armoured trains and alcohol is banned. For the rugger you can drink your head off in your seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

How is this measured or is it just a personal opinion ?.

In World titles and performances at major sporting events.
    All-time: 20 professional World Boxing champions
    16 of our 28 Olympic medals were in amateur boxing

Currently 2 professional boxers holding World titles.
    As for the amateurs:
    1 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 Bronze at the last Olympic games
    1 Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze at the last World championships
    3 Gold, 2 Silver, and 1 Bronze at the last European's
    2 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze at the last European Union Championships
    Also for Northern Irish boxers, 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 5 Bronze at the Commonwealth games.
    All of these are inclusive of men and women.

I suppose you could argue Golf as being in our top 2 with McIlroy's recent success, although there is somewhat of a lack of depth here with an improving Shane Lowry and Graeme McDowell our only other top 50 players currently.
    I'm happy to be corrected though if someone can show a sport where we've won more titles/medals in than Boxing.

The only problem that I have with boxing is all the different weight classes. It's like the swimmers being classed the best Olympians as they can compete in several distances

The only problem that I have with boxing is all the different weight classes. It's like the swimmers being classed the best Olympians as they can compete in several distances

Not really, as a boxer can only compete in one weight class at a time. They can not win more than one medal. Swimming is more like athletics having multiple distances to run over. Then multiple distances to run over with hurdles. Then you've got relays aswell. A sprinter/runner may be able to compete in up to 3 events !

Yes but boxers for the most part can only compete in one weight class. Apart from the women boxers who have a only 3 or something? classes.

buck65 wrote: »
    Yes but boxers for the most part can only compete in one weight class. Apart from the women boxers who have a only 3 or something? classes.

3 for the Olympics and Commonwealths, 10 for the Europeans and Worlds.
    It's actually more difficult to win medals at men's boxing events now, there was previously 12 weight classes, but now there is only 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

tony cascarino..no irish heritage at all..just used the country for his football career

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Over 200 posts and not mention of

New Zealand 60 - 0 Ireland in 2012.

So good nobody remembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

tastyt wrote: »
    The fact that we are supposedly a football mad country and every other nation gushes at our amazing supporters at big tournaments!!

If they knew the real story, most fans are only on a piss up and won't go to support a local football team a few miles down the the road from them because it's not a big enough ' event ' for them or they won't get to see the players that they watch on the telly so what's the point.

Irish football supporters attitude towards their own national league and the fai's total disdregard for it is both scandalous and very very embarrassing. Considered a joke by both GAA and the IRFU , and who could blame them.

I agree with you totally and there is no comparroson between the atmosphere at home games either the soccer crowd are useless apart from the hard core fans in the singing section .the atnosphere at the ire v oz test match was unreal.

Over 200 posts and not mention of

New Zealand 60 - 0 Ireland in 2012.

So good nobody remembers.

I remember Sexton going for the corner late in the game, I know a try was needed but kick the ****ing pen and kill the duck egg!!

Big Ears wrote: »
    Not really, as a boxer can only compete in one weight class at a time. They can not win more than one medal. Swimming is more like athletics having multiple distances to run over. Then multiple distances to run over with hurdles. Then you've got relays aswell. A sprinter/runner may be able to compete in up to 3 events !

I mean that the team has so many more chances to win a medal that say soccer or rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not a sports fan at all, but the 33rd team thing and sep blatters smug face as he laughed at it.

The only time I ever felt like strangling a stranger. made me feel like we were the butt of the worlds joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Not a sports fan at all, but the 33rd team thing and sep blatters smug face as he laughed at it.

The only time I ever felt like strangling a stranger. made me feel like we were the butt of the worlds joke.

We were.... thanks JD

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Remember when the AFL actually gave a **** about International Rules and sent their best players?

Now that was embarrassing, seeing our GAA players being absolutely man handled and beaten up. These so called 'hard lads' were absolutely cowering and being swatted around like flies. It was so, so embarrassing watching it on tv. Every few minutes you'd see an Aussie throwing around a lifeless GAA player like he was a little girl.

Then all the crying started about GAA players being amateurs and not physically strong enough. If that was the case then maybe they shouldn't have been trying all their shouldering off the ball and mouthy bollix to the aussie players.

Basically the GAA cancelled the series for a year and demanded that the AFL send smaller players and the series was pretty much done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Putinovsky wrote: »
    Remember when the AFL actually gave a **** about International Rules and sent their best players?

Now that was embarrassing, seeing our GAA players being absolutely man handled and beaten up. These so called 'hard lads' were absolutely cowering and being swatted around like flies. It was so, so embarrassing watching it on tv. Every few minutes you'd see an Aussie throwing around a lifeless GAA player like he was a little girl.

Then all the crying started about GAA players being amateurs and not physically strong enough. If that was the case then maybe they shouldn't have been trying all their shouldering off the ball and mouthy bollix to the aussie players.

Basically the GAA cancelled the series for a year and demanded that the AFL send smaller players and the series was pretty much done.

The GAA players weren't instigating the aussies or shouldering them off the ball, the aussies have almost 100% been the deliberate instigators of any violence in those series in the last decade or so.The GAA players are not stupid and are hardly going to start a row that they obviously would never win.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland's Call.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Big Ears wrote: »
    In World titles and performances at major sporting events.
    All-time: 20 professional World Boxing champions
    16 of our 28 Olympic medals were in amateur boxing

Currently 2 professional boxers holding World titles.
    As for the amateurs:
    1 Gold, 1 Silver and 2 Bronze at the last Olympic games
    1 Gold, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze at the last World championships
    3 Gold, 2 Silver, and 1 Bronze at the last European's
    2 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze at the last European Union Championships
    Also for Northern Irish boxers, 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 5 Bronze at the Commonwealth games.
    All of these are inclusive of men and women.

I suppose you could argue Golf as being in our top 2 with McIlroy's recent success, although there is somewhat of a lack of depth here with an improving Shane Lowry and Graeme McDowell our only other top 50 players currently.
    I'm happy to be corrected though if someone can show a sport where we've won more titles/medals in than Boxing.

Impressive list of boxing achievements there right enough and yes our golfers are on a roll.

But no, I would argue that horseracing has been our most successful sport on a consistent level for over 50 years and especially the last 20 years in both National Hunt and on the Flat. Our breeders, trainers, jockeys and of course our horses are proven world beaters.

But its a debate for another thread because there is nothing embarrassing about out boxers or our horseracing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I was wondering how long it would be before someone would make a nonsensical comment regarding the IRS. There was nothing hard or brave about how the Aussies behaved. A jolly to the other side of the world to act the dick, that was it.
    boards.au sporting embarrassment thread should mention that Australian team.
    demanded that the AFL send smaller players

Simply did not happen.

Actually what was truly embarrassing from an Irish point of view was how a lot of Dublin fans (among others) high fived each other over Graham Geraghtys injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

tastyt wrote: »
    The fact that we are supposedly a football mad country and every other nation gushes at our amazing supporters at big tournaments!!

If they knew the real story, most fans are only on a piss up and won't go to support a local football team a few miles down the the road from them because it's not a big enough ' event ' for them or they won't get to see the players that they watch on the telly so what's the point.

Irish football supporters attitude towards their own national league and the fai's total disdregard for it is both scandalous and very very embarrassing. Considered a joke by both GAA and the IRFU , and who could blame them.

Completely agree with this. The nonsense about being the best fans in the world over in Poland cos they kept singing even though we were being hammered. It was because most of them didn't give a ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Not a direct sporting moment, but that mental Irish priest attacking the Brazilian runner near the end of the marathon at the Olympics in Greece in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/3610598.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Not a direct sporting moment, but that mental Irish priest attacking the Brazilian runner near the end of the marathon at the Olympics in Greece in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics_2004/athletics/3610598.stm

We cost the Brazilians two gold medals in that Olympics.

One from the priest and one from our juiced up horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

...go to 40 seconds. Cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Putinovsky wrote: »
    We cost the Brazilians two gold medals in that Olympics.

One from the priest and one from our juiced up horse.

"We" didn't cost the Brazilians anything. Its not like Horan was an official representative of Ireland. He was just a deranged former priest who happened to be Irish, unlike the various teams/athletes mentioned in the thread so far who were actually representing Ireland at events.

Since O'Connor was disqualified, the Brazilian would have gotten the gold medal in the end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Drawing nil all with Liechtenstein in a Euro 96 qualifier was a fairly low moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Irish Tennis is an absolute disgrace badly organised at a junior level probably because there is no money invested an un-tapped source of potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭HIB

5/6 nations rugby.

A tournament with only 5/6 teams and we've only won it 3 times in the last 30 years.

Maybe not THE most embarrassing, but embarrassing none the less.

Advertisement