Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's biggest sporting embarrassment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dare i say it....Italia 90

could never understand it....the whole country in hysteria over Jack charlton's ireland team and his god awful style of football...it was cringeworthy

they'd played 5 matches won none, scored only two goals and that match against Romania has to be the worst game of football ever in the history of the WC it was absolutely dire

I kept my feelings to myself at the time in fear of being lynched and was one of the silent people who agreed with Eamon Dunphy views.

Podge83 wrote: »
    A bit like the Ryder cup when a whole continent plays one country!!

Bit of a silly statement no? As that country is as big as Europe and relative population match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

fryup wrote: »

You can add the whole 'best fans in the world' to that as well. 15,000 or so turn out for most home games but when a big game comes about, they jump on the bandwagon and are out in force. Next summer you will have droves of people on Joe Duffy, who "never miss a home game" complaining because they can't get a ticket for the England game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did anyone mention the "homecoming" for the British football players after the 1994 World Cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

fryup wrote: »

could never understand it....the whole country in hysteria over Jack charlton's ireland team and his god awful style of football...it was cringeworthy

they'd played 5 matches won none, scored only two goals and that match against Romania has to be the worst game of football ever in the history of the WC it was absolutely dire

I kept my feelings to myself at the time in fear of being lynched and was one of the silent people who agreed with Eamon Dunphy views.

Actually they beat Romania. Winning on pens is still a win last time I looked. Regardless of what tossers say about a pen shootout is a draw, if it were a draw then both teams would have progressed.

That was far from embarassing, but you're right the style of play was dire and always have been but at least those guys could play, the Euro 12 group were a crowd of sub standard journeymen with a bumbling fool of a manager.
    Charlton wrung every last drop from his bunch and didn't complicate it as Eoin Hand did with similar quality players.

In fairness Townsend et al were very ordinary with a couple of great footballers thrown in -let's not get carried away Ireland never had a great team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Bit of a silly statement no? As that country is as big as Europe and relative population match

Its not a silly statement, its a statement of fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Its not a silly statement, its a statement of fact

I did not say that it was not a fact. I said that it was a silly statement (such was the sentiment behind it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

LorMal wrote: »
    Why do people have to turn around before they say something?

Dramatic effect, I blame Columbo.

I did not say that it was not a fact. I said that it was a silly statement (such was the sentiment behind it)

Why don't you do a demographic survey of both entities and assess what proportion of the population of those entities have reasonable access to Golf..... you might be surprised

• Advertisement

Why don't you do a demographic survey of both entities and assess what proportion of the population of those entities have reasonable access to Golf..... you might be surprised

And that matters why? Population is population
    It was a silly statement

valoren wrote: »
    McGregor fan boys rattled.

I hate the hype train. He hasn't really proven himself. I was delighted when he first got signed up and I know he was successful elsewhere but he has such an ego I'm kind of hoping he loses next..

I heard joe rogan talking about how ireland completely shuts down when he fights - every man woman child and beast is watching. That's embarrassing.

I hope the hype train will derail. Dana White would need to give him a good challenge soon. But everyone loses eventually unless they don't defend their belt. Regardless of his athleticism, his arrogance is getting sickening.

And that matters why? Population is population
    It was a silly statement

And yours isn't?

Take you're reasoning on a bit, why don't all world sporting organisations re-draw all boundaries to even things up - Lets say Ireland, Britain and France as one group, Spain, Portugal and an arbitrary part of North Africa as another etc.... Oh and China might be 10 on its own

That'd be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

This thread has become the biggest embarrassment

And yours isn't?

Take you're reasoning on a bit, why don't all world sporting organisations re-draw all boundaries to even things up - Lets say Ireland, Britain and France as one group, Spain, Portugal and an arbitrary part of North Africa as another etc.... Oh and China might be 10 on its own

That'd be great fun.

Look you made a stupid comment trying to sound smart knocking Europe Vs States (a country of similar size to the EU) and got called up on it.

Get over it

Dempsey wrote: »
    This thread has become the biggest embarrassment

Yeah but no one pays us any attention

Look you made a stupid comment trying to sound smart knocking Europe Vs States (a country of similar size to the EU) and got called up on it.

Get over it

Oh Dear

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

These boyos, and anybody looking like them.

Or that 'Up for the match' programme before All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Lunsters

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Get over it

But wasn't he only using that comment to call out someone else who was trying to sound smart knocking the lions?

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    But wasn't he only using that comment to call out someone else who was trying to sound smart knocking the lions?

Seems more like agreeing and trying to give another example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

buck65 wrote: »
    Actually they beat Romania. Winning on pens is still a win last time I looked. Regardless of what tossers say about a pen shootout is a draw, if it were a draw then both teams would have progressed.

No, it was a draw. The official records will show it as a drawn match.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

People knocking Robbie Keane has to be up there for me. He's a fantastic goalscorer and has been our only consistent goal threat for close to 15 years! On top of that he's not flashy, and seems like a really decent guy. His dedication to the national team has been absolutely fantastic when so many others in world football don't really have a hunger for international games. I really can't understand why anyone would be unable to recognise how important he is to our side.

He's scored goals against France, Italy and Holland in away WC qualifiers as well as scoring against Spain and Germany at the WC itself.

Also, the whole 'boyhood club' thing isn't in the least bit funny, not when it was first done and definitely not now. Lots of people here grow up supporting Celtic and Liverpool, and it's pathetic that people bring it up as some sort of stick to beat him with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

The bitterness towards the Dublin footballers. Oh they always play in Croke Park, have an unfair advantage because of the population, get too much funding, have too many sponsorship deals etc!

The fact that many GAA club and county board officials baulk at the idea of players getting a penny other than expenses, but have no problem with managers/coaches being paid thousands, even at junior club level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The fact that many GAA club and county board officials baulk at the idea of players getting a penny other than expenses, but have no problem with managers/coaches being paid thousands, even at junior club level

I would love to meet the junior club coach that being paid thousands..:):)
    Shouldn't believe everything you hear bud...;)
    Its Christmas eve... cheer up.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Bernard Dunne mania despite him never really being a top boxer. The event junkies were out in force to see him ko'd in the first round which gave me great satisfaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

buck65 wrote: »
    Actually they beat Romania. Winning on pens is still a win last time I looked.

It's not by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Croke park .

• Advertisement

washman3 wrote: »
    I would love to meet the junior club coach that being paid thousands..:):)
    Shouldn't believe everything you hear bud...;)
    Its Christmas eve... cheer up.:D

Don't be so naive

Advertisement