Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple on Panorama

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

vicwatson wrote: »
    Profit of 46 billion and salary to workers 1$ an hour. ah here

I'm sure some libertarians will be along shortly to tell you that such ****ty salaries are The Will of The Free Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Hachiko wrote: »
    Well the documentary has clearly shown Apple to pretty much violate every law possible

environmentally friendly company destroying coral reefs
    crazy working hours
    electrifying workers who sleep
    employing younger kids
    not interviewing journalists at the HQ

that's just a few!

in fact i think the turkey you will eat soon has had a better time than apple employees.

Except that it's not Apple, is it? It's Foxconn, who also make a pile of stuff for other companies so Android, Dell, Penneys, Reebok, they are all complicit in the practises you list. Want to boycott the companies? No worries, then the workers don't have jobs and they starve. Want the workers to get a fair wage? Say goodbye to Penneys' bargains and get used to paying E80 for a pair of jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

kylith wrote: »
    Except that it's not Apple, is it? It's Foxconn, who also make a pile of stuff for other companies so Android, Dell, Penneys, Reebok, they are all complicit in the practises you list. Want to boycott the companies? No worries, then the workers don't have jobs and they starve. Want the workers to get a fair wage? Say goodbye to Penneys' bargains and get used to paying E80 for a pair of jeans.

Exactly people only get annoyed at Apple but chances are everyone replying angrily on this thread is using a device that was either made by Foxconn or contains components made by Foxconn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Shenshen wrote: »
    I've watched it last night.

You're dead right, of course all our electronic consumer goods are manufactured under these or similar conditions, there's no denying that.

What kind of galls me, though, about Apple in particular is that depite the fact that what they produce they produce in exactly the same place in exactly the same conditions and for exactly the same money as all other brands, they still have the cheek to charge 3 times as much for their products.
    And to publish material claiming to have solved problems they obviously haven't.

In short, I don't appreciate being fleeced and lied to ;)

Show me where they charge three times more for a comparable product?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

kowloon wrote: »
    Slave for soldiers 'til you starve and your head is skewered on a stake.

Fuck it, let's go the whole hog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KTsXHXMkJA

*moshes round office*

* gets fired *

Very disappointed by the BBC prg last night. It's all vey well going to these places and saying "look what these people have to do so you can have your phone" and blaming it on Apple, but waht about all the other manufacturers? What about the government in these places that allow companies to operate the way they do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Apple are in the spot light again about the overworking of workers in their factories and also using children on the iPhone 6 production line...

The greed of this company is mind boggling. This is not the first time they are in the news over this type of thing. Never understood the draw to Apple devices, many are sub par and way over priced. They are more a fashion icon.

Yet they sell millions of devices every year, sometimes with little to no difference compared to older models. The power of marketing I suppose...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-30532463

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

As much as I dislike Apple products, it is unfair to point the blame solely at them. They're not the only mega-corporation to use factories such as these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Their factories? It's all outsourced and the factories in question make parts for a lot of other phones too. Plus, there's already a thread on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wait.... you mean large corporations are using cheap labour and child labour in non-English speaking countries to keep production costs to a minimum while charging extortionate prices for their products in the developed world?

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mod - Didn't see the other thread, maybe you can merge them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Loads of electronic vendors outsource to this large manufacturing company in China. I don't hear anyone complaining when the price of phones/tvs/computers are unbelievely cheap! Apple use these guys and STILL charge an absolute fortune for their goods.

If all the vendors stopped using this company, prices would have to increase in ordre to keep profit in the same range, so that won't happen. They all need to agree to put rules in place to say they will pull all their contracts if they don't enforce decent labour laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭spongebob89

The world is ****ed gentleman thats just the way it is and **** isen changing all about the dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

logik wrote: »
    Apple are in the spot light again about the overworking of workers in their factories and also using children on the iPhone 6 production line...

The greed of this company is mind boggling. This is not the first time they are in the news over this type of thing. Never understood the draw to Apple devices, many are sub par and way over priced. They are more a fashion icon.

Yet they sell millions of devices every year, sometimes with little to no difference compared to older models. The power of marketing I suppose...

All companies have to have greed in order to be successful and profitable.

As already stated they don't own the factories so it's just Apple bashing for the sake of it.
    Most likely generated by Android users who label Apple product users as iSheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

I can smell their tears of desperation off my iphone.

Bring in the dead horse!

It's flogin' time…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Panorama have a habit of picking on one particular company and ignoring the big picture. Absolute dogs dinner of a programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Other companies use this cheap labour too op so that makes it all ok. Apple are glorious and wonderful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Makes me sick.

Posted from my iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Spot the Apple fanboys. Their business practices are still abhorrent, no matter how many other tech companies behave in the same manner. "They all do it" is no defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whosthis wrote: »
    Spot the Apple fanboys. Their business practices are still abhorrent, no matter how many other tech companies behave in the same manner. "They all do it" is no defence.

Its not a defense its just funny how people focus on apple as if they are the only ones who use Foxconn's services.

Why aren't people out vilifying Samsung, Philips, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Amazon, Google, Motorola, Dell, or Cisco to name but a small few as they and many others along with them all use Foxconn to make either their full device's or key components for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

As long as it works I have no complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

As long as it works I have no complaints.

Nor do most people. Despite all this faux outrage, Apple had record sales for the latest generation of iPhones.

People pretend to care until they realize how much prices would increase if production was moved to the West. Then all of this "outrage" is quickly forgotten.

It's a similar situation with the factory disaster in Bangladesh. People are quick to criticize fast fashion and yet Penneys are doing better than ever.

It's the posturing that gets me. In a capitalist society, for us to have our nice gadgets and clothes at the prices we want to pay with the business making money, somebody has to get screwed, and the reality is, most people don't give a s**t as long as it's not them.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

OSI wrote: »
    You mean Apples suppliers are at it again? The same suppliers used by Microsoft, Sony, Samsung and many more?

yes he does mean them. I think what he means is that our whole consumerist system is ethically grotesque and that maybe we should have a think about where we are going on this world.

or ya know, iphones, xfactor and hashtags

Apple have hit back now they say they are deeply offended the the allegations. And rightly so.

The whole programme was a shame. More click bait than good journalism.

Whosthis wrote: »

Your proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

logik wrote: »

What did you post this on?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

So Panorama decided show everyone what they already know. Great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

BMMachine wrote: »
    yes he does mean them. I think what he means is that our whole consumerist system is ethically grotesque and that maybe we should have a think about where we are going on this world.

Sounds good. *re-reads OP* No, he's just having a go at Apple and their users.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

c_man wrote: »
    Sounds good. *re-reads OP* No, he's just having a go at Apple and their users.

yeah you can read it that way if your objective is to have a go at what people post instead of reading into the greater points and expand on them.

but here, drag people down and feel good about it.

like on xfactor

Advertisement