Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple on Panorama

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Foxconn isn't Apple.

My thoughts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hope all you shallow materialistic people out there are satisfied

having those poor 3rd world children slave for you and your shallow materialistic needs making your precious iphones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

fryup wrote: »
    i hope all you shallow materialistic people out there are satisfied

having those poor 3rd world children slave for you and your shallow materialistic needs making your precious iphones

Shure it keeps them off the streets..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Very similar example to the highly publicised Nike issues.

I didn't watch the show but I'd assume, just like Nike, Apple would say that they are not doing anything wrong. They contract Foxconn to do the work for them. That's all they have to do. The rest is up to Foxconn.

Without a huuuuuuuuge backlash against Apple (yeh. . . .) all's not changing!

It's a pity really but that's the way things work sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

callaway92 wrote: »
    Very similar example to the highly publicised Nike issues.

I didn't watch the show but I'd assume, just like Nike, Apple would say that they are not doing anything wrong. They contract Foxconn to do the work for them. That's all they have to do. The rest is up to Foxconn.

Without a huuuuuuuuge backlash against Apple (yeh. . . .) all's not changing!

It's a pity really but that's the way things work sadly.

Only saw the below post now, but ya... basically this:
    Foxconn isn't Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Here's a fun fact.

Apple made over $220 billion this year… don't let that stick in your craw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

mad muffin wrote: »
    Here's a fun fact.

Apple made over $220 billion this year… don't let that stick in your craw.

$220,000,000,800. I just bought an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

GAAman wrote: »
    This really is a new thing on boards isn't it, try and preempt the mods/posters like that. Almost as annoying as when some wánker says "Wake up people" about water charges/bin charges/chem trails etc etc

Edit: Before you even think it, I have never bought or owned an apple product in my life

Did you just... preempt poster response...in a post complaining about people preempting poster response?

AnimalChin wrote: »
    $220,000,000,800. I just bought an iPhone.

That a boy! 64GB 6 or 16GB 6 Plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Turpentine wrote: »
    Did you just... preempt poster response...in a post complaining about people preempting poster response?

Nope

• Advertisement

I went to edit my post, but I didn't have enough posts to do so...

the rest of it should've read:

I wish, but I'm stuck with my dodgy Nexus 5 for now. :(

I'm hoping Santa will be very good to me though!!

AnimalChin wrote: »
    I went to edit my post, but I didn't have enough posts to do so...

the rest of it should've read:

I wish, but I'm stuck with my dodgy Nexus 5 for now. :(

I'm hoping Santa will be very good to me though!!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

whoop whoop whoop, take your line in the queue sir, 128gb iphone with you soon, kindly wait for your call.

*no kids died in its manufacture.

*may or may not be true

Hachiko wrote: »
    whoop whoop whoop, take your line in the queue sir, 128gb iphone with you soon, kindly wait for your call.

*no kids died in its manufacture.

*may or may not be true

It was quite civilised this year with the reservation system. 10 minute wait. Bish, Bosh. Here's your blood iPhone sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Apple dont give a **** about Corporate Social Responsibility. A couple of years ago 170 workers were poisoned in their China factory and zero help came from HQ. A despicable company. Obviously most people don't give a **** and will buy their products anyway.

Apple dont give a **** about Corporate Social Responsibility. A couple of years ago 170 workers were poisoned in their China factory and zero help came from HQ. A despicable company. Obviously most people don't give a **** and will buy their products anyway.

Absolutely scandalous, Joe…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Sent from your $50 Chinese android made by elves.

that $50 dollar android probably has the same labour costs to the manufacturer as the iphone 6 64GB costing £750.

which shows how easily led apple fanatics are. I have a pen* here I can sell it to ye guys for £70, it will work on the moon, its a very light silver colour and custom patterns are available at extra cost.

*actually its a pencil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Working conditions in hollyhill are shocking too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In fact Apple is much more likely to investigate its suppliers than the cheap Chinese or Korean manufacturers. Like Samsung.

Oh yeah, why is that exactly? Is that because they operate off a higher moral standpoint than Samsung or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

Specialun wrote: »
    Working conditions in hollyhill are shocking too
    You are not seriously comparing the two working conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

BCC programs get worse as time goes by.

Watch as single out workers and bully them.
    Guy stands up in a packed room. Guy giving speech say
    'Hey you sit down while i talk, or do you wanna come up the front'

Not bullying....

They make the say a the company motto
    'Be disciplined, work hard, insure quality, ask questions if unsure, GO GO GO!!!'

Heard much worse **** in Ireland than that.

I know they treat them like ****. But BBC was so poor on this. No reference to companies that do any different. No talk government action. Twas poor, dont blame apple not wanting to speak to them. The programme was played out like you write a murder mystery. Forst you have the verdict, then you work back from there.
    lazy TV everyone loves X, well lets do an anti X programme.

Don't like aplle products, too expensive, it's more like jewellery anyways, people who own it have to put it on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well you'll work harder with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day

Slave for soldiers 'til you starve and your head is skewered on a stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

GAAman wrote: »
    This really is a new thing on boards isn't it, try and preempt the mods/posters like that. Almost as annoying as when some wánker says "Wake up people" about water charges/bin charges/chem trails etc etc

Edit: Before you even think it, I have never bought or owned an apple product in my life
    Yeh there is Apple fanboy/girl-ism for sure (I don't understand the hype) but there's a bandwagon of being anti Apple at every opportunity also, despite other electronics companies not being saints either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Nabber wrote: »
    Don't like aplle products, too expensive, it's more like jewellery anyways, people who own it have to put it on display.

This gets thrown around all the time. I don't understand.

What do you mean 'they have to put them on display'? Do you mean they simply take out their iPhones to make a call in public!? Madness!

What examples do you have as a matter of interest?

I know lots of people who own Apple products. All I see are those people using them when they want/need to.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, why is that exactly? Is that because they operate off a higher moral standpoint than Samsung or something?

That is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭smoking_kills

anncoates wrote: »
    Not just Apple surely. How much would a lot of your other luxury items cost if they were not being built at those wages.

Could only find data for the iphone5. Cant remember how much they cost new? BUt this should give you an idea.

"According the findings of an IHS IHS -0.99% report coming tomorrow (but shared with AllThingsD today), Apple spends at least $191 on components to build a 16 gigabyte iPhone 5s. The cost rises to $210 for a 64GB unit. The cost of assembly adds another $8 per unit, bringing the range to between $199 and $218"

From http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2013/09/25/if-apple-brought-iphone-manufacturing-to-the-us-it-would-cost-them-4-2-billion/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,657 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I do love how to righteously indignant among us every so often discover that apple treat their workers horribly as if it is a new discovery and they are revealing something to the world that nobody is aware of.

Seriously this has been known for a LONG time so get over yourselves and do something about it if you care so much instead of complaining about it on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I watched that programme with interest , I am not a ' fan ' of Apple , I have had one iPhone5S which I neither liked or disliked.

Anyway , having been to China on Business a few time , I can say that napping at your workstation/desk is normal, indeed the factory/office I spent most of my time in between 12 and 2 the lights were often dimmed and you found people asleep on/under their desks.

The living conditions for the migrant workers was pretty shocking , but how would that compare to other companies I wonder ? I imagine they would be similar.

As for the tin mines business , horrific , however that tin also ends up in your Samsung TV, your Sony/ Dell PC and even in your washing machine's PCB.

I know Apple try to make themselves look ' squeaky clean ' so they leave themselves open to programmes like this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Wibbs wrote: »
    The fact is H, it's not just Apple. Many of our electronic "fancy goods", never mind our shoes and clothes, are manufactured in exactly the same conditions and often worse. So Apple iPHone Baaad? Where does your Android phone come from? Where do your jeans, your shirts etc come from, the PC you're typing this on?

I've watched it last night.

You're dead right, of course all our electronic consumer goods are manufactured under these or similar conditions, there's no denying that.

What kind of galls me, though, about Apple in particular is that depite the fact that what they produce they produce in exactly the same place in exactly the same conditions and for exactly the same money as all other brands, they still have the cheek to charge 3 times as much for their products.
    And to publish material claiming to have solved problems they obviously haven't.

In short, I don't appreciate being fleeced and lied to ;)

Advertisement