Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple on Panorama

Options
  • 18-12-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

What a sham.....

Hope people who fall over themselves queuing up 2 nights in a row to get their hands on i-stuff watch the reality.

brutal.

overzealous apple fanyboyos will no doubt have this locked within the next few minutes. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Give us context dammit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching it here myself.. shocking conditions alright but I doubt it's just Apple - companies like Foxconn supply most if not all of the major brands as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The fact is H, it's not just Apple. Many of our electronic "fancy goods", never mind our shoes and clothes, are manufactured in exactly the same conditions and often worse. So Apple iPHone Baaad? Where does your Android phone come from? Where do your jeans, your shirts etc come from, the PC you're typing this on?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Been watching this but anything you buy from China is made just like this i am sorry tell you.

My Samsung phone made in china, Sony, Microsoft, Dell, Google and so on and to make it even funnier for you there all made by foxconn as well.

So basically anything you buy from china while be made just like may it be foxconn or some one else. This so you cant just blame apple you have to blame any computer / high tech company make there stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Give us context dammit

Panorama special on BBC now about the conditions workers really face in the companies that supply and build Apple's products.

Exhaustion/falling asleep on the job, enforced illegal overtime, work environments that are more like prisons etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Panorama special on BBC now about the conditions workers really face in the companies that supply and build Apple's products.

Exhaustion/falling asleep on the job, enforced illegal overtime, work environments that are more like prisons etc

A bit like Dunnes Stores then..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Wow, Apple makes $250 profit per iPhone. :-o

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus Red Gold Edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

It's rampant everywhere those types of conditions. Fact is even if people don't want to admit it nobody gives a sh it. Next up sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

So, Apple are slightly rotten? Or am I taking the core issue up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I have been saying it for a long time, Filipino kids make the best tshirts.... don't they....

Plain fact lads, the majority of people in comparatively privileged positions do not give a sh!t.
    Penneys for example... a f#ckin institution in Ireland.... kids in floods of tears in a factory in Brazil as we speak.. says it all really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's the Samsung chaebol we should be supporting! DOWN WITH APPLE!!!

LONG LIVE SAMSUNG!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

$5 in salary to make an iphone 6 costing $600

nice.

no wonder apple are worth half a trillion dollars, do they even pay tax in Cork?

myshirt wrote: »
    I have been saying it for a long time, Filipino kids make the best tshirts.... don't they....

Plain fact lads, the majority of people in comparatively privileged positions do not give a sh!t.
    Penneys for example... a f#ckin institution in Ireland.... kids in floods of tears in a factory in Brazil as we speak.. says it all really

Not. China, Bangladesh, India, Vietnam, possibly. Brazil? No. Are you nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Well you'll work harder with a gun in your back for a bowl of rice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Hachiko wrote: »

overzealous apple fanyboyos will no doubt have this locked within the next few minutes. :)

This really is a new thing on boards isn't it, try and preempt the mods/posters like that. Almost as annoying as when some wánker says "Wake up people" about water charges/bin charges/chem trails etc etc

Edit: Before you even think it, I have never bought or owned an apple product in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Wibbs wrote: »
    The fact is H, it's not just Apple. Many of our electronic "fancy goods", never mind our shoes and clothes, are manufactured in exactly the same conditions and often worse. So Apple iPHone Baaad? Where does your Android phone come from? Where do your jeans, your shirts etc come from, the PC you're typing this on?

Well the documentary has clearly shown Apple to pretty much violate every law possible

environmentally friendly company destroying coral reefs
    crazy working hours
    electrifying workers who sleep
    employing younger kids
    not interviewing journalists at the HQ

that's just a few!

in fact i think the turkey you will eat soon has had a better time than apple employees.

GAAman wrote: »
    This really is a new thing on boards isn't it, try and preempt the mods/posters like that. Almost as annoying as when some wánker says "Wake up people" about water charges/bin charges/chem trails etc etc

Edit: Before you even think it, I have never bought or owned an apple product in my life

buy you fool

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Profit of 46 billion and salary to workers 1$ an hour. ah here

Well the documentary has clearly shown Apple to pretty much violate every law possible

crazy working hours
    employing younger kids

that's just a few!

in fact i think the turkey you will eat soon has had a better time than apple employees.

I don't believe a bit of it…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Not. China, Bangladesh, India, Vietnam, possibly. Brazil? No. Are you nuts?

Brazil, yes.

Jesus is not the only thing that is massive over there.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Profit of 46 billion and salary to workers 1$ an hour. ah here

On the upside, they probably have Yale/Harvard grad consultants hired at €1200 a day trying to reduce that figure by 10%...location, Location, Location..

myshirt wrote: »
    Brazil, yes.

Jesus is not the only thing that is massive over there.

Yeah, I'm probably the worst person you could have picked to spin that one on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

mad muffin wrote: »
    It's the Samsung chaebol we should be supporting! DOWN WITH APPLE!!!

LONG LIVE SAMSUNG!!!!!

Samsung. Phones made by unicorns out of stardust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

OP, I'm sure you've researched the working conditions of the companies who's devices you already own before posting...?

crazy working hours
    employing younger kids

that's just a few!

Foxconn isn't Apple.

The BBC is basically a Tabloid these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not just Apple surely. How much would a lot of your other luxury items cost if they were not being built at those wages.

anncoates wrote: »
    Not just Apple surely. How much would a lot of your other luxury items cost if they were not bring built at those wages.

In fact Apple is much more likely to investigate its suppliers than the cheap Chinese or Korean manufacturers. Like Samsung.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

apple is so exploitative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

mrolaf wrote: »
    apple is so exploitative
    That's the core of the problem.

• Advertisement

mrolaf wrote: »
    apple is so exploitative

Sent from your $50 Chinese android made by elves.

Advertisement