Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking away from the pub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

Often have pulled a Lord Lucan and legged it, Hassle freee I even pulled one tonight, was well loaded earlier and have a hangover booting the head off me this min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

leave, send text.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

most light drinkers will sneak away

Leave the laggards behind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I've done it a load of times. Purely for Strobes reasoning above, you'll be hassled to stay on and it takes ages to go otherwise. That or you're trying to avoid someone....

Normally just say I lost em talking to someone the following day...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Yup - I slope...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats the big deal

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

We had a mate that used to do this all the time. Was an expert. Would even buy a pint, with no intention of drinking it, as subterfuge and nip away when nobody was paying attention. We called him Richard Kimble and it's now known as 'doing a Kimble'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Yeah I did it the other night. The Mrs was feckin fumin when she got home.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

A girl i was seeing once came down to my neck of the woods for the first time, I just disappeared....yup was so drunk forgot bout her and left the pub we were in ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Ah the ol' 'f*** this, I'm off'. I don't even do it when drunk, sometimes it's just gotten late, craic is sh1te and money is disappearing at a dangerous rate. Time to cut your losses and extract yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

A guy I know did this so often he was nick-named Don't Go. Or Don't for short.

Or the D man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I do this all the time.

Feck off whenever i feel too drunk.

Its easier than having people tell you to stay, you keep saying no, stay for one more, no.

Soo much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I just tell them that I'm going and leave. I have one friend who does it all the time, one time we were leaving one pub and walking to another and he simply walked over to a parked taxi and got in without saying a word to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

This reminds of one night the brother in law disappeared on a night out. Coped he was gone, rang and text him, no answer. Found out the next morning that this new drink he had discovered which he had been boasting about was the greatest thing since sliced bread had put a quick end to hie evenings entertainment. That's right you guessed it Bulmers Pear Cider!
    He said he drank about four on them and got this unmerciful pain and barely made it to the jacks. He said it was like a hand grenade went off in his jocks. Anyway he couldn't come back and tell me he was heading home as he knew i would slag the bollox out of him in front of a gang of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Love doing it, gives me a great Buzz and certain freedom when I know I'm legging it in a minute and no-one is none the wiser!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

We call it pulling a skinny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Gooners

Ah Ireland...The country where it's the norm to sneak off to the pub but you are a weirdo if you "sneak off" home when you have had enough and the others want to stay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

braddun wrote: »
    most light drinkers will sneak away

Do us Irish still measure our dick size by the amount if alcohol our body can consume?

Happy days, mines massive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

PUB Crawling is ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I do it all the time. It takes ages to say goodbye to people, especially drunk people who are like "stay stay stay!". So I just disappear. Some people think it's rude, whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

One approach is the "I'm already hungover" from the previous night which in Ireland can be the truth. People can relate to drinking through your hangover and will be more receptive to you leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I do this a lot, I'm known for it in my circle of friends. It usually happens for two reasons:

I've had a abit too much to drink and go on auto pilot to find taxi and then my bed
    I don't want the awkward hassle of "ah no Blacklilly stay for another one"

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

my mates call this my "Ninja smoke bomb exit" it avoids all the ****e of oh no stay sure its only x o clock etc.
    I usually pick a time where I think I wont be noticed leaving.
    As someone else said I would never abandon someone on their own though.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Do us Irish still measure our dick size by the amount if alcohol our body can consume?

Happy days, mines massive!!

I can't drink for buttons but my cock is massuv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I do it all the time. It takes ages to say goodbye to people, especially drunk people who are like "stay stay stay!". So I just disappear. Some people think it's rude, whoops!

It's generally work events. You go with 12-20 people you know vaguely, and one or two you know well. Later on others, friends of the people you don't know so well, join in. You can't really be expected to say goodbye to everybody and if you announce to the group you will be stopped.

With real and long term friends, or smaller occasions, you don't do this of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Leeleather wrote: »
    I was on our work Christmas pub crawl last week, one lad sneaked off after about 2 or 3 pubs without saying a word. Do you know people who do this or do you do this yourself?

Every drinker at some stage in their drinking history has,at some stage done this.There are a multitude of reasons people do it,some might feel themselves getting to the stage where they feel like if they stay any longer they'll make a drunken show of themselves. Others may have received a harshly worded call or text from the missus/bloke,some might get what's referred to by some as a 'booty call' ,others just simply wander off into the night,giving off a mysterious air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Maybe it was his round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Maybe it was his round.

Every job I worked in always had a cnut or two like that.Lowest of the low.Pond life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's an ould lad in my local who always orders another Guinness and takes a mouthful from it before heading home. Always thought it a bit strange.

Although if I knew the one that was one too many, I'd REMEMBER how and when I got home far more often :D
    Yeah, I reckon that's his process. I've recently become pretty good at taking a swig from a pint and then thinking, "Oh christ, I'm pretty tipsy already. If I drink this whole one I'll be on my ear".

Advertisement