Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sneaking away from the pub

Options
  • 18-12-2014 6:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

I was on our work Christmas pub crawl last week, one lad sneaked off after about 2 or 3 pubs without saying a word. Do you know people who do this or do you do this yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I've done it before, usually because the crowd insist I stay. See, I'm great craic, so I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Sneak no - leave without telling anyone - all the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I do it all the time when I'm drunk, just go into auto-pilot mode and head out for a chippy normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I do it all the time. The girls call me Houdini.

I’d never leave if I was out with just one of the girls but when there’s a gang of us out and I have that one drink too many I pretend I’m off to the toilet and jump in a cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Ah you mean the Irish goodbye :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Have done it once or twice in a previous job years ago because I wanted to meet friends later and the people I worked with used to operate the crawls like an Auschwitz convoy so you had to break out along the way and make a run for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Leeleather wrote: »
    I was on our work Christmas pub crawl last week, one lad sneaked off after about 2 or 3 pubs without saying a word.

He hates you all probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

irish_goat wrote: »
    I do it all the time when I'm drunk, just go into auto-pilot mode and head out for a chippy normally.

Yep, when I'm done I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

he probably has a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Yeah, plenty of times. After a certain amount of drink it can become difficult to leave without having to explain yourself. Best just to grab your coat and head for the exit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Once I hit a certain level of drunkenness, my inner homing pigeon kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

They're just doing what everyone there wants to do but won't go through with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

The Irish goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭TheOtherBloke

Yep. Thats when you just have enough and walk off. There's no time to say your goodbyes when theres food and bed on your drunken mind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yes, quite often. Fact is I'm a lightweight and get both drunk and tired quicker than most. I'd rather go home safely when I am able to than pass out and have to be carried home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Always go off wandering on my own, I'm one of those that always ends up babysitting some drunken wastard, so I fcuk away off somewhere before things get to that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

All the time. Frankly as an adult I decide when I want to go and besides I'm not answerable to my friends so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Why wouldn't you say goodbye? I know if someone sneaked off, and especially if they had a fair few drinks I'd be worried about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you say goodbye? I know if someone sneaked off, and especially if they had a fair few drinks I'd be worried about them.

You'd soon give up worrying about me.
    Because if you say goodbye you won't be let go, and your cards will be marked for another hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

I've an awful habit of doing this. I'm actually shocked there's so many others like me. I just leave without saying a word, get greasy food, stick the earphones in and jump on a nitelink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We've a mate who's really good at this. We don't even lose him between pubs or on the way somewhere, he's just there one minute and gone the next, and nobody notices him leaving.

I'll occasionally do this, but only if it's too much damn hassle to go find everyone to say goodbye - e.g. you're in a busy club or something. Finish the pint, grab me coat have a quick scan to see if I can see anyone, and if not, just go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

- "Yeah, so I think I'm gonna take off. Nice catching up though."

+ "Ah you can't, we're only getting started sure."

- "Ah yeah I know, but I'm a bit tired tbh and I have other plans anyway sure."

+ "But it's Chrriiiisssmaassss. Go on stay!!!"

- "Nah, really, I'd good craic, but I'm gonna head on."

- "Ahh ladsss. Strobe says he's going!"

"What, nah stay a bit longer! We're just getting started sure."

+ "No seriously, I'm gonna take off. But have an awesome night."

- "Ah you're no fun".

+ "heh... anyway, yeah, I'm off. So see ye all in the new year."

- "But it's Chriiiissstmaasss, you hasshh to shhhtayyy!!"

+ "Say it's Christmass ONE more time mother****er!!! I dare ye!!!"

- "I think Strobe is leaving lads..."

Or you can just sneak away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I thought I was bit odd for having done this on occasion. Didn't know there was a cultural phenomenon with it's own term!

Basically, my head gets wobbly and I'm usually at the stage of talking to myself so I say 'let's go' and do my drunken power walking until food appears in my hands and then cut to kicking off shoes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I don't completely avoid saying goodbye, but I do hate it, this thread has made me realise that. I'm already dreading and planning my way out of saying goodbye when I finish up work for Christmas. Ugh, all the well wishing, etc etc. It's just uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There's an ould lad in my local who always orders another Guinness and takes a mouthful from it before heading home. Always thought it a bit strange.

Although if I knew the one that was one too many, I'd REMEMBER how and when I got home far more often :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

On friends, never done it.

On work mates, all the time. **** them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm known for my "Irish goodbyes" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I do it all the time, but don't want my mates worrying so send a text from the Lucas saying something like "Arragh lads, which fcker put me on the Lucas, I was dying for another pint and a cheeky chaser".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Completely fair game unless you are out with one other person or maybe 2 other people who don't get on or know each other that well.

I almost always took off like a thief in the night when the hunger came calling or I got bored. Never from the pub, generally only from clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Normally do this when outpaced by others including my wife. We live opposite a pub though . ....

Advertisement