Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you vote in the gay marriage referendum?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I likely won't vote because there is close to 0% chance of the Yes side not winning. If it were going to be any way even semi close, I would vote yes. This one is done and dusted though

It's really not done and dusted, for the very reason that so many people are likely to be equally as complacent as you are.

We no that the no side, while a small minority, will mobilise. We know this from issues like abortion, divorce etc.

The yes side tend to be much more apathetic and complacent. The agree that we should have equality but too many of them won't actually make the effort to go and vote.

This referendum is really not going to be as clear cut as the polls suggest simply due to turn out. If turn out is law, this will fall.

So please please please please come out and vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I likely won't vote because there is close to 0% chance of the Yes side not winning. If it were going to be any way even semi close, I would vote yes. This one is done and dusted though

Nothing's done and dusted until the votes are counted. Even if it looks like an overwhelming majority favour Yes, I'll still go out and vote to show my support.

Tasden wrote: »
    Even so, they are the two options he is faced with and he's making the decision he sees fit I guess.
    Unfortunately I can't argue his point or clarify any further than what I've already said because that's all I know. If I had more understanding I obviously would, I'll send him a link to this thread anyway and ask him to address the last few points posters made cause they are valid.

Please make sure you vote yourself to balance him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

It's going to be closer than the divorce referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

floggg wrote: »
    Please make sure you vote yourself to balance him out.

Like I said I'll be voting yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I will see it as an international embarrassment and humiliation for Ireland if No wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Daith wrote: »
    It's going to be closer than the divorce referendum.

Not a chance.
    It will be at least 78% Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not a chance.

Not if the apathy that is evident on here by some people who admit to being yes but not bothered with voting is mirrored at the polls on the day. being certain of a yes result could lose it, I am optimistically hopeful but I will not take it for granted and will be out going door to door encouraging people to vote as should everyone else on here who wants to see yes succeed

Not a chance.

Really? I'm aiming for 51% myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

You'd swear it was an all day job to go vote. It really doesn't take that long at all and could influence the lives of some of our citizens forever. I just don't get this i won't vote stuff whichever side you are on. It's a bit selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Not a chance.

Two members of my family are voting no for definite. Anybody outside the family would assume they'd vote yes as they have gay friends and family members. Others are not going to bother voting as they don't have an opinion either way. Only myself, my sister and our two cousins are definite yes votes in my family. It's not the given landslide some people are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Really? I'm aiming for 51% myself.

It's not being discussed much because it's still months away.
    Expect a surge of discussion, debates and newspaper articles after Christmas.

Yes and that still won't convince people to vote or vote yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Would the turnout be increased by throwing in a few other referenda on the same day?

Or would the YES message get diluted by asking other questions on the same day?

Not a chance.

That's assuming all sides turn out at the same rates.

They won't.

We know from nearly every referendum we have had, particualrly on social/moral type issues, that the "anti" side will mobilise in greater numbers than the pro side. No voters generally don't tend to be apathetic about their opposition to these things.

And asserting that this will be a slam dunk will do far more harm to the yes side than using the word homophobe ever will.

We don't need to win over undecideds to win this - we already have circa 70% of the public in favour, and there are few genuinely undecided voters left.

What we need to do is ensure that we get all our supporters out to vote. So it's very harmful to give the impression that this has been won already, as people reading it might stay at home on the day because they think their vote won't be needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Was Cuchullain gay?

Would the turnout be increased by throwing in a few other referenda on the same day?

Or would the YES message get diluted by asking other questions on the same day?

I'm more inclined to think it would help. It won't be seen as just a gay thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm more inclined to think it would help. It won't be seen as just a gay thing.

They are holding more on the same day problem is they are very low turnout issues like the voting age and age of the president

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Bridge93 wrote: »
    You'd swear it was an all day job to go vote. It really doesn't take that long at all and could influence the lives of some of our citizens forever. I just don't get this i won't vote stuff whichever side you are on. It's a bit selfish.

In fairness I can understand that it would be difficult for someone to motivate themselves to vote if they genuinely don't know anyone who would be affected by it. It might seem ridiculous to those of us who do, but the better option for dealing with said people is providing compelling reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bridge93 wrote: »

It's a perfectly valid option to abstain in a democratic vote.

You do know that.....don't you?

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's a perfectly valid option to abstain in a democratic vote.

You do know that.....don't you?

Yes it's perfectly valid but it can also be lazy and selfish too. They're not mutually exclusive.

Not just for this referendum but for any vote.

Marriage Equality have been planning around generating turn out since the referendum was announced because they are all too aware that the danger complacency and apathy will cause. A low turn out is a real danger and could swing the day for the no side.

It is far from a given and it is going to be a real struggle to actually get the numbers out. And we need to constantly remind people of the need for them to come out on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Its not done and dusted at all!!!!!! Do you not realise that lots of people like yourself could be saying the same thing and this will give a huge advantage to the no side.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not a chance.

It will 78% no if people keep making false yes predictions and demotivating the yes side to go out and vote!!!!

What do people not get about this?

1 Polls in referenda this far out never hold true
    2 There is still a huge swathe of undecided voters
    3 The vast majority of voters decide on a referendum question in the days leading upto it
    5 Numerous referenda in this coubtry have shown there is always possibility for a last minute swing
    6 If hundreds of thousands of yes voters keep saying "it will pass so my vote isnt needed" the yes vote just wont turn out.

Honestly polls are meaningless and should be ignored.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭bb1234567

People have been promoting it a lot in the ucd campus, they are really urging young people to go and vote. Well Ill definitely be voting yes, as will my parents , and a few of my friends and I who live nearby have arranged to all go and vote together. Thats a definite 8 yes votes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

floggg wrote: »
    I actually think you insult the intelligence of the undecideds thinking they could be swayed by the comments in response to the ignorant, bigoted nonsense being posted.

If their sympathies lies with the poster spouting that crap, then they aren't that undecided.

I'm not insulting the intelligence of the undecided at all. I was talking about all those people who say they would support marriage equality, but then come referendum day they couldn't be bothered voting because they're sick of the two sides bickering at each other - voter apathy. I don't think anyone will be swayed either way by the "arguments", but I DO worry, like I said, that each time a 'yes' campaigner takes the bait and rises to negative comments from people who were always going to vote 'no' anyway, it doesn't do people campaigning for a 'yes' vote any favours.

My sympathies don't lie with anyone spouting crap, and that includes both people from the 'no' campaign spouting bigoted, ignorant crap, and people from the 'yes' campaign spouting bigoted, ignorant crap.

I can ignore the 'no' campaigns best efforts, but I do hold the 'yes' campaign to a higher standard of having dignity and respect for people who do not share their beliefs or opinions, and it's embarrassing for me personally when I see people in the 'yes' campaign calling people 'closet gays' and implying that if they're a priest they must be a pedophile. It's not so long ago that same slur was being associated with LGBT people, but some people have very short memories. Either that, or they really are just too blinded by their own hatred and prejudice to think that there are many religious people who actually support marriage equality, but they also feel targeted and excluded when they read the opinions of some people in the 'yes' campaign make vicious slurs against their religious beliefs.

This referendum isn't about religion, it's about human beings rights, and equal recognition for all citizens of Ireland in the Constitution, I'd prefer to see people argue the legalities than the moralities, and leave their personal grudges at the door if they're the very same people are talking about making progress in society and moving forward.

I've already stated my position that I am undecided until I see the wording of the referendum, and I'll wait and see what comes of the Children and Families bill before that, because the two are intrinsically linked, and if the wording of the referendum offers anything less than marriage equality, or there are any influences that I think might create a legal quagmire in the future with regard to LGBT families or their children that would not be faced were they not LGBT, then I will be voting no, and will begin campaigning again, rather than be merely 'satisfied' with some half-assed 'limbo-laws' that could mean in the future that LGBT people and their children were given the appearance of being treated equally, but some clause was sneaked into legislation that means they never were, only nobody saw it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The only way it would swing to No at this stage would be if the Yes-side ran a very bad PR campaign.

Which is possible, as there is somewhat of a culture of abusing people who hold views other than Yes.

There are of course many voters who don't particularly care and would be leaning towards Yes, so as long as they aren't turned off, I think it'll pass

I see people in the 'yes' campaign calling people 'closet gays' and implying that if they're a priest they must be a pedophile. It's not so long ago that same slur was being associated with LGBT people, but some people have very short memories. Either that, or they really are just too blinded by their own hatred and prejudice to think that there are many religious people who actually support marriage equality, but they also feel targeted and excluded when they read the opinions of some people in the 'yes' campaign make vicious slurs against their religious beliefs.

This referendum isn't about religion, it's about human beings rights, and equal recognition for all citizens of Ireland in the Constitution, I'd prefer to see people argue the legalities than the moralities, and leave their personal grudges at the door if they're the very same people are talking about making progress in society and moving forward.

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Which is possible, as there is somewhat of a culture of abusing people who hold views other than Yes.

I look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about the hurt feelz of those who believe I deserve to be legally discriminated against. That believe my family deserve less protection. That day I pray for.

• Advertisement

I look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about the hurt feelz of those who believe I deserve to be legally discriminated against. That believe my family deserve less protection. That day I pray for.

Exactly.
    That sort of thing, putting words in people's mouths and thoughts in their heads to have a go at them. Not very endearing.
    If the Yes side stick to positive arguments as to why people should vote Yes, it should be a comfortable win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement