Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the must have when you were a teen.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

The bodysuit. Also simply known as "body".

It was like a leotard but with fasteners at the groin. The idea I suppose was for it to stay really close-fitting and streamlined. But the fasteners would come undone as the night went on in the teen disco and there would be various girls with a piece of material hanging off the back of their top, two cans of cider consumed or not.

Oh god. Used to wear them with a long skirt which I remember was especially handy for wiping my mouth after getting sick one night :(

501's only!!! Only ever had one pair that lasted for years.

First proper teenage trip to the hairdressers alone and I came away with a "ripple".

Also was a big fan of hair colour mousse which was risky in case it rained. Would go through a bottle of mousse and hairspray in a week. Thank god for the Poundshop where I also bought my makeup. Constance Carroll I think was the brand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Flashing LED lights for my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Those tracksuit bottoms that say "NOPE" written across your arse and they had massive wide legs on them and you'd have them soaked up to your knee from walking in puddles. Those "USCO" tops were all the rage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

I went to boarding school, where we wore our uniform all day, so clothes were never really a big thing. And it was basically before any sort of technology. I don't really remember any 'must have' items of clothing, except for paisley shirts. I bought my first one in Asha in the Stephen's Green centre and didn't take it off for 3 days. When I took it off my whole torso was dark green with the dye running off it (I must have actually been sleeping in it not to notice). Paisley shirts and doc martens and you were DEADLY. I think maybe also a man's suit waistcoat over the paisley shirt. Jayyyysus....
    I was 10/11 so not buying clothes yet - so jealous of that look. :o
    Also beetle-crushers as well as DM boots seemed to be hugely popular at that time.
    rsl1976 wrote: »
    Oh god. Used to wear them with a long skirt which I remember was especially handy for wiping my mouth after getting sick one night :(
    :D
    Also was a big fan of hair colour mousse which was risky in case it rained. Would go through a bottle of mousse and hairspray in a week. Thank god for the Poundshop where I also bought my makeup. Constance Carroll I think was the brand :)
    Oh my god yeh, those coloured mousses! Used to get the wine/purpley ones of course. I remember them being quite good.
    Yep, Constance Carroll - the powder (which was nearly white) and the mascara and lipsticks. It did the job! (Probably contained awful chemicals).
    And remember pan-stick! (Nothing to do with frying-pans - it was a chunk of fawn-coloured waxy stuff, like an oversized lipstick, and you'd use it as foundation).

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

Eclipse jeans, Nike Air Max runners and a shell-suit track-top would almost have been a uniform in some parts of my turf. Ridiculous amounts of gel in the hair too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

That red and white yoke, that wobbles between a mans legs.................

Yes, thats right, a Honda 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Ben Sherman shirt and mopeds were all the rage in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Good hearing and a strong wrist!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Those big baggy black wool jumpers that went down to about mid-thigh.

Black and white basketball boots with the big tongue just like Robert Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Those big baggy black wool jumpers that went down to about mid-thigh.

Black and white basketball boots with the big tongue just like Robert Smith.

Don't forget about the black lace and white lace (never tied) to go into the basketball boots :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

cocoman wrote: »
    Don't forget about the black lace and white lace (never tied) to go into the basketball boots :)

Or white / red laces in your black ten hole docs. (one "meant" you were a punk, can't remember which)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

Ben Sherman shirt and mopeds were all the rage in school.

Ah, how could I have forgotten about the Ben Sherman shirts. Pepe Jeans too. And a certain kind of moccasin shoe - Kickers. I nearly forgot them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

Because I'm still a teen.. It was 'Da V' or 'Da Dragon' some lads took this further and added reeboks, tracksuits and the timeless classic of Argos jewelery.
    Needless to say I didn't follow that trend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

wooly jumper

Advertisement