Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the must have when you were a teen.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A stereo with two cassette slots.

And high speed dubbing. Can't keep your mates waiting around all day for their copy of The Unforgettable Fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

A digital watch. Not one that was on all the time - you pressed a button and the time came up in red!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

A lot of what I had thought of has already been posted. One thing that hasn't though.....a navy Adidas tracksuit top with the 3 white stripes down each sleeve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Adidas Gazelles or Samba. Wrangler or Lois jeans or cords. , Ellesse, Fred Perry and Lacoste polo shirts. Fila, Tachini or Adidas Beckenbauer tracksuit tops and other stuff you had to save for years to buy.

Also Harrington jackets, loafers, Sta Prest trousers and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

A few things mentioned were popular for pre-teens, not actual teenagers. I can't imagine wearing runners with lights on them in secondary school!

I went through several summers of dying the hair blonde as a teenager; cringe looking back at the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

14 hole ox blood docs.

Blade 1 back and sides, leave the top long.

Padded check shirt.

Discman.

Mountain bike.

Stone Roses 12" EPs.

Naggin of vodka.

A shift from that cute girl who was a bit of a Curehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Nokia 3210. Nokia 3330. Playstation 2. iPod. Sharp Camera phones. I seem to remember every girl in my school had a denim jacket when I was first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I can't remember what everyone wanted when i was a teen. When I was 16 I wanted perfume and One Tree Hill on DVD :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Nokia 3310 - playing shhhhnaaaake for hours on end

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mountain Rescue

Got to be a mini disc Player for me,lost mine on a bus in Dublin about a month after getting it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

Wu Tang baggy jeans.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

O'Neills tracksuit bottoms, had 3 pairs back in the day.

Just thought of another 2 that guys wanted......an eye brow piercing and having the tips of their hair "frosted"

I went to an all girl boarding school, so what everyone really really wanted was a good-looking boyfriend to make the other girls jealous.

The last year I was in school there was a bit of a race to be the first to own an iPod, as they'd just hit the market. The 'girl who got everything first' got one first and spent weeks trying to figure out how to put anything on it.

I had an Archos job with an entire gigabyte of storage, which didn't disappoint me at all. Honest. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Candie wrote: »
    I went to an all girl boarding school, so what everyone really really wanted was a good-looking boyfriend to make the other girls jealous.

The last year I was in school there was a bit of a race to be the first to own an iPod, as they'd just hit the market. The 'girl who got everything first' got one first and spent weeks trying to figure out how to put anything on it.

I had an Archos job with an entire gigabyte of storage, which didn't disappoint me at all. Honest. :(

Every man reading this thread stopped at that comma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

14 hole ox blood docs.

Lad in his 20s walked by me a while back with that Smiths 80s look down to a tee: greasy quiff razored at the sides, tan anorak type coat with fur lining, rolled up Levis and ox blood doc shoes. It's still a brilliant and striking look.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Samhain

Army canvas schoolbag with all your favourite bands in Tipp Ex and Permanent marker
    Army or Bomber jacket
    Nirvana/RHCP/Metallica T-shirt
    10 hole Docs
    Susst Flares
    Platform shoes
    In-ear headphones

Jeez i thought i was cool :cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Gameboy, gameboy pocket or colour, and if you were really lucky a gameboy pocket colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Those canvas army bags as school bags, preferrably with badges and your favourite bands written all over it in permanent marker.

Weren't cool till you had one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Levis or Wranglers.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Every man reading this thread stopped at that comma.

It was an exhausting few years with all the pillow fights and communal showers. :)

Oh wait, no. It wasn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Huge baggy NOPE trousers and GAP hoodies.
    Nokia 3310s.
    Fake ID or the ability to make one :P

An Umbro school bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Supersoakers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

14 hole ox blood docs.

Padded check shirt.

Discman.

Mountain bike.

Stone Roses 12" EPs.

Naggin of vodka.

A shift from that cute girl who was a bit of a Curehead.

All of the above (maybe not the mountain bike).

Paisley shirts was also a big must have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Combat trousers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sydthebeat wrote: »
    an undercut
    Air Max, X Works & Eclipse jeans.

These... plus brylcreem and the latest Prodigy albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Big floppy mop of greasy long hair.
    Cons/vans/DC's runners.
    Dosh for Blast in the Temple Bar Music Centre so you could go and shift all the wannabe Avril Lavignes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Almost forgot about those Buffalo shoes with the huge laces and flames up the sides as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Well, teenage years are a long time...from like 12 to 19 a lot of thing change.

Back in my time, and considering it was in Italy, the biggest "must have" would be...

A 50cc scooter/moped

...which in Italy you can drive at 14; No matter if it was an old battered Vespa from the 60's or a spanking new Honda, having one made the owner an instant demi-god/goddess. I never had one - and actually never wanted one. Yeah I wasn't a very popular kid.

Other than that:

Discman;
    Mountain Bike during the summer;
    Nike AIR;
    Invicta school bag (you can tell an Italian tourist from that specific brand of bags, even today);
    Texas Instruments calculator (I went to science school...);
    Levi's 501s;

And later, towards when I was 17 or 18...
    Motorola StarTAC or Nokia 3110

Advertisement