Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the must have when you were a teen.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Pokemon. The cards, games, cartoon etc. It took over our lives.

I still ponder how different my life would have been had I obtained the shiny Charizard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I hit my teens in the 50s and the must have item then was food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭black & white

A Levi jacket with a 20 major box in the top pocket, (Wrangler jacket would not suffice)
    Levi jeans.
    Doc Martens, Ox Blood or Black.
    Cheesecloth check shirt or Rory Gallagher/Thin Lizzy T shirt but that later developed into Boomtown Rats, Stranglers and Sex Pistols etc
    A pierced left ear, right ear was though to be for Gay men only.
    Long hair a la Bobby Sands

For more formal occasions, Ox Blood Loafers with bell bottoms or parallels with a 3 button waistband.

This was in 1978 - 1980, F*ck I'm glad there are no photos of me dressed in that get up now.....

I hit my teens in the 50s and the must have item then was food on the table.

You win!

One upmanship at it's finest. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Candie wrote: »
    You win!

One upmanship at it's finest. :)

Well, truth will out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

valoren wrote: »
    The new season Man United kit.

It was almost like understated class warfare.

If you had last seasons home jersey, you were poor.

If you had the new season home jersey, you were working class
    If you had the new season home AND away jerseys you were middle class.

If you had the new season home, away and the third kit, you were the master of the universe.

If you thought in those terms, you were a spoiled, snobby little p***k. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Keno wrote: »
    Pokemon. The cards, games, cartoon etc. It took over our lives.

I still ponder how different my life would have been had I obtained the shiny Charizard.

Memories, I was never into them much myself but I remember one of my friends got the Charizard card & we asked for a look. When he wasn't looking we went down to some young lad on the bus & asked did he want to swap for one of his cards. We came back with some useless f**ker anyway that couldn't really do anything but we got a good laugh out of it & that's all that matters!!A bit of entertainment for the bus journey home:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If you thought in those terms, you were a spoiled, snobby little p***k. :P

I once got my nephew a retro United top from the 80s and the look of horror on the poor kids face was a sight to behold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Sex and Biactol

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

venusdoom wrote: »
    'Hooker' Boots or the complete Friday night ensemble of spaghetti top, mini skirt and hooker boots. I dunno why our mammys let us out in that get up.

...and a must have for me was a teenaged chick wearing that particular get up.

No really, all I can remember spending my pocket money on as a teenager was rock music cds and the odd video game. A lost decade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Levi Jeans
    Pogs
    Trolls
    Cycling shorts (neon was better)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A fake ID and a Grove membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Early 90s. Checked shirts, converse all stars, guitar.

Mid to Late 90s. Yokes and a quarter of something to calm down after.

Football shirts indeed, a waste of a youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

twas only a few years ago, it was a blackberry!
    now, it seems babies are the "in" item... which is quite sad tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Air Max, X Works & Eclipse jeans.

I wasn't allowed to wear these, nor could we have afforded them anyway!!

I remember my big sister learning to sow so she could sow little red X's on the black Dunnes jeans my mother used to by for her.

'Rip-offs' were one of the things when we were kids. Those tracksuit bottoms with buttons all up the sides. What the **** were we thinking? May as well have just headed out in your underwear from the get go. The clue is right there in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A barcode battler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Candie wrote: »
    It was an exhausting few years with all the pillow fights and communal showers. :)

Oh wait, no. It wasn't!

Plenty of energy at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The latest Championship Manager, operating on Windows '98.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Must have - a good roide - as I was always dying with the Horn ...
    Only managed a hand shandy though - several times a day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Camera Phone

PS2

Grand Theft Auto 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

A mullet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

A mullet!

The haircut, not the fish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

The most expensive trainers you could get. Nothing else you wore seemed to matter bar what was on your feet, and how much they cost. I was often quite anxious over this, as my mother insisted on buying all my footwear in Dunnes Stores - which certainly was not cool. It stood to me later though - as I see through all the obsessing over brands now. I'll buy a brand if it means getting quality at a fair price, but quality is my main concern. I'll also never wear anything where the brand is heavily prominent. Ideally it wouldn't be visible at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was 13 in 1996 and for some unknown reason two things became stupidly fashionable, Aran jumpers and tearaway tracksuit bottoms.

Thankfully I wanted neither, but there were many a stupidly dressed teenager in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I was a teenager in the 90s. In the earlier part of the 90s the must-have was a puffa jacket. In the later 90s it was a Kookai bag, Kickers shoes, Nike air trainers and a Caterpillar pencil case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Boot Runners

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Mortal Kombat 3. I wanted it so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

anncoates wrote: »
    Adidas Gazelles or Samba. Wrangler or Lois jeans or cords. , Ellesse, Fred Perry and Lacoste polo shirts. Fila, Tachini or Adidas Beckenbauer tracksuit tops and other stuff you had to save for years to buy.

Also Harrington jackets, loafers, Sta Prest trousers and the like.

80's casual teenage years. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

hehe. My neighbour had one. We were sort of jealous. The bike itself was a bit ****

Advertisement