Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding sausage fests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

lufties wrote: »
    This is what baffles me, I've always been told that I'm very attractive looking but tinder has been an epic fail.

Photos and real-life personas are not necessarily the same thing when it comes to how appealing you are to others. It's perfectly feasible that women have told you in the past you are good looking, but this can often be down to your presence, aura, confidence in a real-life situation etc.

As nonsensical as it may sound, what people say when they mean 'good-looking' is not necessarily about looks all the time and is more a catch-all term to convey interest/attraction. I think the common phrase 'there's just something about him' might be more accurate here.

Therefore, many of the above positive traits are simply not visible or discernible from photos. You may not be particularly photogenic either and look way better in the flesh.

Of course if the comments you received have come from women with whom you speak to online, you may discount the last few paragraphs. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Therefore, many of the above positive traits are simply not visible or discernible from photos. You may not be particularly photogenic either and look way better in the flesh.
    +1. I knew a woman who was extremely photogenic. I mean she really jumped out from group photos. In the flesh she was pleasant enough looking, but not nearly so noticeable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Photos and real-life personas are not necessarily the same thing when it comes to how appealing you are to others. It's perfectly feasible that women have told you in the past you are good looking, but this can often be down to your presence, aura, confidence in a real-life situation etc.

As nonsensical as it may sound, what people say when they mean 'good-looking' is not necessarily about looks all the time. I think the common phrase 'there's just something about him' might be more accurate here.

Of course if the comments you received have come from women with whom you speak to online, you may discount the last few paragraphs. :)

Thats interesting, personally I think I'm a bit above average looking, but I do regularly recieve compliments from both men and woman, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm not superficial really.

If a lady looks after herself, nice teeth/smile, with a sense of style, it goes a long way. I'm not majorly hung up on looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. I knew a woman who was extremely photogenic. I mean she really jumped out from group photos. In the flesh she was pleasant enough looking, but not nearly so noticeable.

Ohh I hear ya. The opposite can also be true. I've seen photos of women online and then I see them in person and they look so much better; its what makes online dating so tricky. Then again some women have mastered the selfie to such an extent that they can create very flattering photos of themselves. I even surprised myself the other day after taking a photo of myself in decent lighting and thought I looked a right handsome fecker. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Ohh I hear ya. The opposite can also be true. I've seen photos of women online and then I see them in person and they look so much better; its what makes online dating so tricky. Then again some women have mastered the selfie to such an extent that they can create very flattering photos of themselves. I even surprised myself the other day after taking a photo of myself in decent lighting and thought I looked a right handsome fecker. :D

Apt Username!!! :D:D:D

(no offense, we all are more than a bit vain...only a few admit however! Kudos!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

OP learn a language and leave the country, that's what I'm doing, Colombia here I come!

OP learn a language and leave the country, that's what I'm doing, Colombia here I come!

He doesn't live in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He doesn't live in Ireland.
    Indeed. :D Which kinda nicely puts the kibosh on the whole it's the Irish wimmens that are the problem.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's what happens when you only read the first post haha

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed. :D Which kinda nicely puts the kibosh on the whole it's the Irish wimmens that are the problem.

Nothing wrong with Irish women dude, I just prefer latinas, it's a matter of ones own personal taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I got one match on Tinder . I thought dating sites would make these things easier. But they don't . It's a clever marketing illusion.

Or maybe i'm just hideous af

Nothing wrong with Irish women dude, I just prefer latinas, it's a matter of ones own personal taste.
    Oh I'd be the same Igl. Just making the point that too many men bemoan their romantic lot in life and blame it on the "local women" and you hear it in all countries. Grass is always greener syndrome. You get good and bad everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I got one match on Tinder . I thought dating sites would make these things easier. But they don't . It's a clever marketing illusion.

Or maybe i'm just hideous af

If it's all about the photo, would it be worth getting one professionally done or asking a friend with a decent camera to take one?

If it's all about the photo, would it be worth getting one professionally done or asking a friend with a decent camera to take one?

I think that would be a good idea, the subtext is that you are a serious person and not just on the site chancing your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Not sure about that...it can be kind of unsteady ground for a man.

It's definitely good for a woman; It would attract some sniggering remarks from other women, but most men would be impressed - any vaguely attractive woman will look like a total knockout in the proper picture taken by somebody who knows how to handle camera/lighting/all the likes.

For a man, however, it can trigger the "instant poser" effect :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Not sure about that...it can be kind of unsteady ground for a man.

It's definitely good for a woman; It would attract some sniggering remarks from other women, but most men would be impressed - any vaguely attractive woman will look like a total knockout in the proper picture taken by somebody who knows how to handle camera/lighting/all the likes.

For a man, however, it can trigger the "instant poser" effect :D

If it increases the guys chances of getting laid, his friends would probably just ask for the favour to be returned...after taking the piss a lil bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Cathy.C

nm wrote: »
    Vanilla, meaningless default advice.

I'm sure he's been himself his whole life, its clearly not working, something needs to change.

I think when people say 'just be yourself' they don't just mean be you as obviously everyone is being themselves in that regard. What people mean is that you're better off not worrying about how you're coming across, as it will most likely come across as you're just trying to hard to be something that you're not. I like it when a guy approaches me and he's a little nervous or shy about it.

Pretending to be at ease when you're not, or exude confidence when you're anything but, just comes across as fake and as someone who is uncomfortable with themselves and while that's not the end of the world, it's quite difficult to have a conversation with someone who is constantly worried about how they're coming across.

Embrace your imperfections I say and don't worry so much about them being spotted by the person you're trying to chat up, be they physical imperfections or otherwise. If you're self conscious about your looks, then so be it, be self conscious about your looks. Trying to pretend you're not will just come across as someone who has something to hide and as that person doesn't know you, they won't have a clue as to what that is and you will just come across as not being very genuine.

So therefore, I don't think telling someone to be themselves is vanilla advice at all. It's quite good advice, if that person that is, truly gets what it means to truly be yourself.

As for avoiding sausage fests? Hmm, well that's a tough one as places usually become sausage fests in the first place for good reason and so they still might be the best option for meeting someone. Yoga classes and the like are not really good places tbh as in my experience that is where I have gone to unwind and the last thing you would really want is to be chatted up there. I would just end up feeling socially awkward I think but then I would feel like that when I am chatted up anywhere that I can't quickly escape from. Buses are another one. You just feel weird as you know that you have to sit beside this person now for the next hour and it's worse with things like classes as you know that you will have to see this person now every time you come to a class.

Gigs are most likely the most underrated way to meet people. They tend to be a good mix of the sexes (unless you see a band that only appeals to one sex, so avoid 1Direction gigs) and you automatically have an interest as you both like the same music. They tend to be on earlier than clubs and so you could ask them to go for a drink afterwards. Met a few partners that way over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A decent camera doesn't take decent photos though, its the person using it. But yeah getting one professionally done wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nothing wrong with a literal sausage and beer fest though! All you need is a BBQ, selection of mustards, good bread and plenty of salad.

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Apt Username!!! :D:D:D

(no offense, we all are more than a bit vain...only a few admit however! Kudos!)

How dare you, call him mr radar or call him mister wrong :D

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a literal sausage and beer fest though! All you need is a BBQ, selection of mustards, good bread and plenty of salad.

On second thoughts, I do love weisswurt and pretzels with beer.

.....Thread closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

A decent camera doesn't take decent photos though, its the person using it. But yeah getting one professionally done wouldn't be a bad idea.

True and I meant to say that but I was on my phone.

You could get a professional-that-doesn't-look-professional type photo taken. Tell the photographer what you're looking for. Basically a photo with decent lighting and stuff. I think many men are awful at choosing a decent photo of themselves ime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I was at a singles night the other night, chatted to one girl who was all over me, I suggested going for a drink, she agreed..as we approached the bar, I got cockblocked by two lads who got her attention. She stayed with them thereafter. I thought t was a bit rude but got on with my night. Chatted to a few girls after that, had a few laughs, was attentive and polite but couldn't seal the deal. This is nothing to do with my attitude, as it is positive. I always smile and am witty and never rude.
    I know he clearly shouldn't have asked it in a forum thats user base is mainly males.
    OP I would recommend you try a mainly female userbase forum like the Ladies Lounge they will be delighted to give you any information you desire on how to improve your chances :)

[Edited the criticism - I read pages 7-20 where you exposed some of your vulnerabilities and consequently you came across as a nicer and more self-aware AND less arrogant guy :D This might give you more of a clue in getting on with women.]

Now to be constructive: women are everywhere. They tend to join things, much more than men. So look at tennis clubs, or drama groups, or dance classes, or almost any other interactive activity.

Interactive is the thing to look out for - not activities that are essentially solitary even if done as a group (gym, yoga). Look at women as PEOPLE, not just vaginas on legs. Talk with them, get to know them, and don't regard sex as the one and only goal of interacting with them.

Do you want to be a person that the woman is interested in, or just be a mobile penis? Do you want a relationship, where you can share your innermost hopes and fears? If all you want is sex, well there are websites for you - but they are heavily male-dominated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Thats interesting, personally I think I'm a bit above average looking, but I do regularly recieve compliments from both men and woman,it actually makes me feel uncomfortable as I'm not superficial really.

Genuine question, in what context are the compliments given, are they from friends/ colleagues/ family, commenting on your good looks?

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Genuine question, in what context are the compliments given, are they from friends/ colleagues/ family, commenting on your good looks?

never really from friends/family, usually randomers in pubs or people I've know for a short period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

never really from friends/family, usually randomers in pubs or people I've know for a short period of time.

That's unlikely.

That's unlikely.

Honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

Honestly

Everybodys hot on the Internet.

That said Brad Pitt could have grown up in ireland without getting a compliment from other irish men. That's not the way we roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Everybodys hot on the Internet.
    That makes no sense

Advertisement