Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA Premier League rights 2016-19

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I think the key thing is Setanta now only have the BT games - Sky can use the 3pm games as a battering ram to tempt those that would have paid extra for Setanta to stay with them without having to offer deals. If given the choice would people really pay an extra 25 euro for Setanta for 28 Saturday games nows? .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I think the key thing is Setanta now only have the BT games - Sky can use the 3pm games as a battering ram to tempt those that would have paid extra for Setanta to stay with them without having to offer deals. If given the choice would people really pay an extra 25 euro for Setanta for 28 Saturday games nows? .

its extra 42 games on bt sport
    28 ones on saturday and 14 midweeks ones also

I have the setanta pack and I have setanta multi-room and only pay 125euros for 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ftakeith wrote: »
    its extra 42 games on bt sport
    28 ones on saturday and 14 midweeks ones also

I have the setanta pack and I have setanta multi-room and only pay 125euros for 12 months

Yes I know there is the midweek ones but my point is the Saturday ones are the key seller - they have lost the lucrative Christmas and New Year first choice picks to Sky leaving them with little over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

is there anybody paying €25 per month? setanta/bt has more than just football

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

batistuta9 wrote: »
    would the setanta pack have effected them here, is it not a bit strange sky are only going after this pack now, when they probably could've taken it whenever they wanted in the past

Reportatly they went after it the last time and lost. But at the time of the bidding last time, nobody knew that the BT/Setanta deal would happen. At the time the Setanta package was a nice bonus, not competition to Sky (who were still allied with ESPN in Ireland), This time, Sky went in with full knowledge of the alliance and knew that taking the 3pms off Setanta hurt the package as a whole. So it no doubt threw more money at it this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Doodah7

kooga wrote: »
    setanta/bt has more than just football

This.

Really sad that some people can only measure sports output by the number of EPL games they show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I always read here how the 3pm games are rubbish and now all of a sudden they are the jewels in the crown.

Setanta is a lot more than the premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

lertsnim wrote:
    I always read here how the 3pm games are rubbish and now all of a sudden they are the jewels in the crown.

lertsnim wrote:

True, i think for pubs on a Saturday it's a must have but for others you can take it or leave it. SKY from next season will have restrictions just like Setanta had.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The posts on here about "a lot more to sport than EPL" is a fair point. Wouldn't it be great if sky could offer a basic sports sub and then a premium "calcio" like football sub too.

Non football fans could sub at a lower cost for their sports and football fans could pay the premium?

Wasn't sky sports 5 launched as an euro football channel? But I've noticed other sports are now shown on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

tallpaul wrote: »
    This.

Really sad that some people can only measure sports output by the number of EPL games they show.

It really is the major driver of pay TV subscriptions, certainly in the UK, and in these days of Freesat, in Ireland now too (prior to Freesat it was the BBC first and foremost that drove pay-TV in Ireland). Other things will draw in people - the European Rugby Cup for instance is a big one in Ireland (not as big in the UK), pro golf is now almost exclusively on pay TV (though outside of the majors doesn't really attract a big audience). But these are all small fry. If the Premier League took a decision to only sell its rights to free to air broadcasters the pay-TV market really would collapse. It really is that important. Ask ESPN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

snaps wrote: »
    Wasn't sky sports 5 launched as an euro football channel? But I've noticed other sports are now shown on it.

It was launched as the "home of European football". Much like how Sky Sports 2 is the home of cricket. With Sky losing the UEFA Champions League that would put an end to the European football heavy schedule for Sky Sports 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

The only way I'm keeping the Setanta pack on now is if they give me a massive discount on my yearly sub when I call to end my sub with them in May.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

lertsnim wrote: »

I agree

setanta pack is more value for money than sky sport

I watch it for the live european football games from italy, france and germany which I find more exciting than the Eng Prem league live game

setanta pack has bundeliga, DFB polkal, Serie A, Ligue 1, champions league, europa league, Eng FA Cup, Eng Prem league and European Cup rugby
    I don't watch every game live as I just watch some of it or cherrypick the live content

I will be in munich in 2 weeks for bayern v hertha and augsburg v wolfsburg for a bundesliga double which are not live on bt sport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Interesting Reading.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/35099081

Premier League: Football broadcasting battle hots up

Spare a thought for West Bromwich Albion fans hoping to watch their team live on television this festive season.
    Because, despite 36 Premier League matches being shown on either Sky or BT in December and January, the Baggies are not scheduled to appear once.
    The way Tom Mockridge sees it, this is simply unfair.
    Unfair on those supporters who cannot get to their club's matches, and if the Virgin Media chief executive had his way, it would change.
    In fact, the 60-year-old New Zealander could just be the biggest threat the Premier League has faced to date.
    The league's policy of making 168 of the league's 380 matches available to live TV helped it secure a record-breaking £5.1bn rights deal earlier this year. With limited supply, the demand from both Sky and BT reached unprecedented levels, the three-year deal from the 2016-17 season worth a remarkable 71% more than the current one.

Advertisement