Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA Premier League rights 2016-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭boris george

lertsnim wrote: »
    Those Prem Plus games were always pay per view from the get go. It wasn't a case of Sky deciding to make a selection of games that way. If these 3pm games were to go that way it would have been announced today.

Possibly.
    Will be interesting to see how they go about it from a technical point of view. They surely wont want all the UK customers looking at a blue screen for 3 hours on a Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

Setanta's prize asset is surely the BT deal!
    Premier League ,ERCC, Champions & Europa LEagues etc

Agree Aviva premiership rugby up to 3 games at the weekend plus H cup

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Possibly.
    Will be interesting to see how they go about it from a technical point of view. They surely wont want all the UK customers looking at a blue screen for 3 hours on a Saturday!

Sky has different versions of some Sky channels running already for advertising reasons so it will be very easy for them to do it. All they would have to do is block the Irish feed from UK viewers so they wont be able to watch it via Other Channels. Their viewing will continue like nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Possibly.

Don't they simulcast Soccer Saturday on SSNHQ and SS5? All it takes then is an Irish version of SS5 to replace that and show the match instead of Soccer Saturday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Racket wrote: »
    Don't they simulcast Soccer Saturday on SSNHQ and SS5? All it takes then is an Irish version of SS5 to replace that and show the match instead of Soccer Saturday

that is very likely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Probably easy enough to do an irish opt considering the irish opt out adverts on nearly every UK channel these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The statements being released are confusing me:

Is the 5:30pm games now going to be shown JUST in Ireland on BT? Or have Sky lost those actual rights?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/sky-sports-to-broadcast-live-3pm-premier-league-games-in-ireland-1.2426995

This article suggests that Sky still have the UK rights for 5:30pm but BT have it in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No without the 3pms they will lose business now imo.

It'll be minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yes thats true ,but they have no english commentary which is important for certain people.
    I wonder will Sky use this as an excuse to increase their prices ?

They seem to have Bien sports all over Spain which has English commentary and every big match covered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

SantryRed wrote: »
    The statements being released are confusing me:

Is the 5:30pm games now going to be shown JUST in Ireland on BT? Or have Sky lost those actual rights?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/sky-sports-to-broadcast-live-3pm-premier-league-games-in-ireland-1.2426995

This article suggests that Sky still have the UK rights for 5:30pm but BT have it in Ireland.

That's incorrect. BT have 5:30pm KOs in both UK and Ireland next season. 12:45pms (or 12:30pms as they will now be) back to Sky.

Tonight I'll move all these posts to the Premier League rights thread as they are about Sky than BT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Sky have been awarded the Saturday 3pm games currently on Setanta. Agreement kicks in August of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They seem to have Bien sports all over Spain which has English commentary and every big match covered.

Ah yes I forgot about that .
    Al Jazeera was a great package for football until the Premier League moved it off 13 east.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I know the answer is likely no but wonder if this will set a precedent for them showing the La Liga 3pm games as well for Irish viewers given they've more than likely got the rights. Same deal should really apply to Wales as well given they've no blackout either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

An Tarbh wrote: »
    I know the answer is likely no but wonder if this will set a precedent for them showing the La Liga 3pm games as well for Irish viewers given they've more than likely got the rights. Same deal should really apply to Wales as well given they've no blackout either.

I can see a Sky Sports Ireland Channel being set up but showing the La Liga games may only be done through the interactive channel at 3pm for Irish subs.

Could happen & I can't see why not from next season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

http://www.balls.ie/football/sky-sports-announce-major-premier-league-change-for-irish-fans/315664
    Sky Sports have today announced that they have agreed a deal for six packages of live Premier League rights in Ireland which will see one very significant departure from the company's usual broadcasting package from 2016/17 through to 2018/19.

Im a bit shocked that Sky got the 3pm Kick offs that were so important to Setanta.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

mikeym wrote: »
    Im a bit shocked that Sky got the 3pm Kick offs that were so important to Setanta.

At least setanta has BT Sports included in its package otherwise it'll be a mass exodus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

SKY like Setanta will have restrictions on their games, maximum of 5 per club no minimum. Got that from digital spy also in the sky press release.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

The articles that I have read are very badly written. The journalists don't really seem to know what they are talking about. Rehashing the press release from Setanta about the BT deal which isn't really new news. If I am correct they reached a multi year deal just a number of months ago. The Indo article about more games is just simply misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

This is great news to Sky Sports subscribers who never considered getting Setanta or ever will get Setanta and theres a good few out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So will Sky set up another sub channel Sky Sports Ireland to show these 3pm games?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Worth requoting this at this point, may answer a lot of questions
    irishfeen wrote: »
    2016/19 UK LIVE TV PACKAGES

Package A: 28 at Sat 12.30pm Sky Sports
    - 6 1st picks
    - 14 2nd picks
    - 8 5th picks

Package B: 28 at Sat 5.30pm BT Sport
    - 9 1st picks
    - 12 3rd picks
    - 7 5th picks

Package C: 28 at Sun 1.30pm/2.15pm Sky Sports
    - 15 2nd picks
    - 6 4th picks
    - 7 5th picks

Package D: 28 at Sun 4pm/4.30pm Sky Sports
    - 18 1st picks
    - 10 4th picks

Package E: 28 at Mon 8pm (min 18) or Fri 7.30pm/8pm (max 10) Sky Sports
    - 15 3rd picks
    - 13 4th picks

Package F: 6 midweek; 8 at Sat 12.30pm or Sat 5.30pm or Sun 12pm BT Sport
    - 3 1st picks
    - 7 2nd picks
    - 4 4th picks

Package G: 8 Bank Hols; 6 at Sun 1.30pm/2.15pm or Sun 4pm/4.30pm Sky Sports
    - 2 1st picks
    - 2 2nd picks
    - 8 3rd picks
    - 2 4th picks

To which we can add
    Package H:32 Saturday 3pm, 1 Sunday 3pm Sky Sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

So will Sky set up another sub channel Sky Sports Ireland to show these 3pm games?

I'd say they'll use the skysports1or5 feed for Ireland and show the live football instead of soccer saturday which is already on SportsNewsHQ,SkySports1 and SkySports5. When sky news Ireland started they didn't create a new channel they'd have nothing to show on it anyway.If I was setanta I'd be worried about the future should sky bid on exclusive rights for F1, the open etc or BT/ESPN go it alone in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can see a Sky Sports Ireland Channel being set up but showing the La Liga games may only be done through the interactive channel at 3pm for Irish subs.

Could happen & I can't see why not from next season

This would allow them to also show the 5pm La Liga games from the start and not missing the first 15 mins as is the case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭batistuta9

will they be able to watch the irish version of the channel in the uk?

M

batistuta9 wrote: »
    will they be able to watch the irish version of the channel in the uk?

If they have an Irish Sky card yes.

If they have an Irish Sky card yes.

right, so not as simple as watching it via other channels.

is the channel tied to the card, something like that?

M

is the channel tied to the card, something like that?

Yes Sky Ireland customers receive some of the channels regionalised from what a UK card would get, eg 101 is RTÉ1 but in UK is BBC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

They will see "This program is not available" on any card other than one from this country.

would the setanta pack have effected them here, is it not a bit strange sky are only going after this pack now, when they probably could've taken it whenever they wanted in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky have been very cool how they have played their cards of late. They have lost a few jewels in their crown to BT, still been able to put their prices up with no real protest from consumers.

Now they have a real bargaining chip to increase prices even more in Ireland when these rights kick in.

I think we were always going to be in a position where Sky would always be the winners in pay tv. Many broadcasters have tried to compete with them but failure has always followed.

It is a real shame really for the consumer on what has come and gone over the years in regards to pay tv rights.

In all fairness there is no competition at all, The consumer always looses out, Sky always comes out the winner!

Advertisement