Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FA Premier League rights 2016-19

Options
  • 12-12-2014 6:00pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And so it begins - again! And time for a new thread.

The big news is that the Monday Night Football package will include some Friday night games, the first ever time the Premier League will play games regularly in this time slot.

http://m.bbc.com/news/business-30451616

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged threads. for copyright reasons we cannot allow full articles to be posted. Give a one or two line summary and a link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What does this mean for loi in Ireland. Surely the winner will have to pay the fai money or they won't be able to broadcast the games here?

On the face of it, it doesn't mean anything. The Premier League don't have to pay the FAI anything, any more than they have to pay the SFA, FAW, IFA, or the association in any other territory where the Premier League is broadcast.

The FAI could threathen to invoke the blocked hours on Friday night. But that would be in breach of their own contracts with RTE and Setanta though.

icdg wrote: »
    On the face of it, it doesn't mean anything. The Premier League don't have to pay the FAI anything, any more than they have to pay the SFA, FAW, IFA, or the association in any other territory where the Premier League is broadcast.

The FAI could threathen to invoke the blocked hours on Friday night. But that would be in breach of their own contracts with RTE and Setanta though.

Well they could threaten to invoke it on a Saturday,Sunday or Monday evening in an effort to play hardball without effecting their own contracts.

• Advertisement

I think UEFA would probably not be amused if the FAI invoked it in a slot where no league matches were actually being played, it would fall foul of Article 3, Regulation 3 of the blocked hours regulations which requires sufficient proof to be provided that the blocked hours actually correspond with the domestic fixture schedule.

Also apparently the blocked hours cannot be invoked on a Friday, only a Saturday or Sunday.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/88494.pdf

I think UEFA would probably not be amused if the FAI invoked it in a slot where no league matches were actually being played, it would fall foul of Article 3, Regulation 3 of the blocked hours regulations which requires sufficient proof to be provided that the blocked hours actually correspond with the domestic fixture schedule.

Also apparently the blocked hours cannot be invoked on a Friday, only a Saturday or Sunday.

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/88494.pdf

They set the fixtures so easy to announce that from 2016 matches are to be played on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

So it's the same amount of games made available for the UK market yet again yes?

I look forward to the day when we can get them all Live in these Isles

Slightly higher amount but not massive difference - the new Friday timeslot is the main thing to note.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Mallagio wrote: »
    So it's the same amount of games made available for the UK market yet again yes?
    There is a few extra games in the next round. What is worrying me is that the Saturday 3pm KO slot is getting really hollowed out with just 4 or 5 games involving mainly lower half teams at that time. Saturday afternoon football is really just Football League plus a few non-descript PL games.

I often wondered why RTE don't put on a 3pm Championship game since most of our national squad now play in that league. I seen it on terrestrial TV in Denmark years ago.

Slightly higher amount but not massive difference - the new Friday timeslot is the main thing to note.

Is it stated how many of these Friday night games will be made available?

EDIT - Disregard that m8 - Just seen the article with up to ten made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Skybet Championship clubs wont be happy about the Premier League Friday night kickoffs.

If the League of Ireland attendances are affected they will have to play their games on Saturday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Good idea regarding RTE showing The Skybet Championship on a saturday, considering alot of Irish players play in that league.. Free to air tv in Sweden use to show saturday 3pm premier league games, but it got to expensive for them and they now show the Skybet Championship on saturdays instead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I can't imagine it being anything other than cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It will almost certainly remain the same as the current set-up... Apart from someone like Al Jazeera coming in there just isn't any broadcaster who could match Sky or BT.

Ireland's 3pm games could be competitive enough, TV3 might have some spare cash around (if they lose CL rights), UTVI might have a go and Setanta will of course be bidding too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Setanta will go all out to keep 3pm games, will be very interesting to see if BT and setanta keep there tie up goin for another 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

A 3 way split, with the UK rights remains a distinct possibility especially with the smaller packages.

In other words, BT and Sky get all bar one of the packages. Al Jazeera get one of the smaller packages.

I think though the Irish experience shows that two premium broadcasters is all the market can cope with before people start refusing to pay. Hence the BT-Setanta tie up and prior to that ESPN-Sky and ESPN-UPC. I just don't think people will pay any more than two subscriptions.

I hope Setanta dont get the 3pm kick offs.

No one wanted to watch Southampton play Burnley last Saturday and they showed it.

But then again there wont be much interest from other Broadcasters :(

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    I hope Setanta dont get the 3pm kick offs.

No one wanted to watch Southampton play Burnley last Saturday and they showed it.

But then again there wont be much interest from other Broadcasters :(
    There must be some direction coming from the Premier League on what games Setanta must pick - Canal+ on the continent picked Chelsea/Hull for example .. I would find it hard to believe that Setanta picked Southampton over Chelsea.

irishfeen wrote: »
    There must be some direction coming from the Premier League on what games Setanta must pick - Canal+ on the continent picked Chelsea/Hull for example .. I would find it hard to believe that Setanta picked Southampton over Chelsea.

The guy who presents the 3pm kickoffs explanation is "we try to bring you the most exciting games every Saturday on Setanta".

mikeym wrote: »
    The guy who presents the 3pm kickoffs explanation is "we try to bring you the most exciting games every Saturday on Setanta".
    Well he is going to say that isn't he ... :)

Discovery who owns Eurosport have already rights in Romania are said to be interested in the U.K market.

My honest opinion though is that BT will get more games but the same two (Sky & BT) will share the rights.

Setanta here will keep the 3pm.

Setanta picking that game on Saturday was bizarre with the obvious City away to Leicester not being shown.

Thank God for my motorised satellite, still going strong a decade on.

Mallagio wrote: »
    Setanta picking that game on Saturday was bizarre with the obvious City away to Leicester not being shown.

Thank God for my motorised satellite, still going strong a decade on.
    There must be direction/quotas coming from the Premier League for what games Setanta can show - I find it very hard to believe Setanta would have chose to show Southamption over Chelsea and City. They could be minding their quotas for the 2nd half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

irishfeen wrote: »
    There must be direction/quotas coming from the Premier League for what games Setanta can show - I find it very hard to believe Setanta would have chose to show Southamption over Chelsea and City. They could be minding their quotas for the 2nd half of the season.

This is almost certainly due to their tie-in with BT.

Unrestricted 3pms on Setanta and BT's games together would represent a formidable package above and beyond the value of the individual packages paid for (think of the number of Manchester United and Liverpool matches the "Setanta Sports Pack" could advertise as showing under such a scenario) and this might be considered unfair on the other broadcaster holding rights in this country.

The same restrictions wouldn't apply to any other channel showing 3pm games in Ireland - except for maybe Sky or BT. The Premier League won't have foreseen the tie-in this time so it might be negotiated differently with the pay broadcasters next time thus allowing for unrestricted picks again.

Broadcasters abroad who only have rights to 3pm matches do not face any restrictions.

And, of course, Setanta themselves did not face restrictions before their tie-in with BT.

If another broadcaster were to get the 3pms here it might see an end to the kind of farce witnessed the weekend before last (the following has been shamelessly lifted from another forum and refers to the disallowed Stoke goal against Arsenal when the score stood at 3-0)
    The commentary (and production) team had no idea the goal had been disallowed and rambled on for 2 full minutes about the effect on Arsenal and Wenger of the 4-0 scoreline - confirmed fully on screen post replays alongwith the "goalscorer".

Then - 2 minutes later remember - inexplicably the onscreen scoreboard reverted back to 3-0 without reference. However, the commentary team continued talking about the phantom 4-0 scoreline.

And, a while later, as Arsenal were awarded their penalty (which they also couldn't confirm until Arsenal stepped up to take it), the commentator shoehorned in mid-sentence that the 4th goal had been disallowed and just continued on with his commentary.

About a minute later he mentioned it again: "apparently there was an offside flag raised which I missed....". (Except, as we know now, the linesman didn't raise any flag.)

He somehow also missed the stadium scoreboard; the lack of a centre-circle restart; the Stoke fans booing incessantly for no apparent reason...!!!

To be fair they weren't helped by the live feed from the stadium but the whole point of commentary is to help the viewer identify what's happening.

If they'd actually admitted they were in their Dublin studio as opposed to the Britannia they might've got some sympathy. But, instead, they ended up sounding like dimwits.

I dedicate this post to those who argued on here before that it doesn't really matter to the viewer whether the commentators are in the stadium or providing off-tube commentary. Of course it does (I don't need commentators describing to me exactly what I can see myself, I need them to be telling me about the stuff I can't see).

At 4-0 I went out to make a cup of tea. I arrived back into the room and it was 3-1!!!!

I confirm all of the above because I rewound to find out what actually went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

i think bein sport will be in the mix as well.

Undoubtably. But BT look like they are going to buy EE, the UK joint venture of T-Mobile and Orange, a move which will spend a whole pile (£12.5b is the figure being talked about) of BT's cash ahead of this auction not to mention leave Deutsche Telekom and Orange minority shareholders in BT.

How does that affect the Premier League? Well it means BT's willingness to spend on rights may be tempered. At any rate there will be a limit beyond which they won't bid and it may be less than it would have been had this massive change in group strategy not occurred,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

Undoubtably. But BT look like they are going to buy EE, the UK joint venture of T-Mobile and Orange, a move which will spend a whole pile (£12.5b is the figure being talked about) of BT's cash ahead of this auction not to mention leave Deutsche Telekom and Orange minority shareholders in BT.

How does that affect the Premier League? Well it means BT's willingness to spend on rights may be tempered. At any rate there will be a limit beyond which they won't bid and it may be less than it would have been had this massive change in group strategy not occurred,

I can't see why that would have any impact at all. The strategy for growing a business by an acquisition or merger is surely very different to the outlay of expenditure for acquiring extra television rights.

I fully agree that BT's willingness to expand on their football right's though may well be very tempered as it is. The risk/reward gamble is a fine one because as a broadcaster they have not the diversity of other sporting television rights that Sky have. Although it is interesting to see the rumours of them and the BBC doing a deal over Wimbledon in the future despite Sky having flickered their eyelashes for years in the direction of 'The All England Club'.

Advertisement