Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Jacket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

smacl wrote: »
    Yes, good waterproofs once all the zips are closed. Bought as a replacement to a lightweight jacket that failed miserably in this regard.

Excellent - I've one on order with wiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

viperlogic wrote: »
    I went ahead and got the Altura Vapour

Jacket arrived today. Very light, will easily fit in jersey pocket, fantastic snug race fit, nice long tail and sleeves. Only test is how waterproof and breathable it really is. Got it for onsale for €92 (usually €150)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

So went out for a quick spin this evening with my new dnb 2 in 1 soft-shell jacket and the difference it made is amazing.

viperlogic wrote: »
    Jacket arrived today. Very light, will easily fit in jersey pocket, fantastic snug race fit, nice long tail and sleeves. Only test is how waterproof and breathable it really is. Got it for onsale for €92 (usually €150)

Did a 53K spin yesterday in it and more than happy with the jacket. Had high winds, rain, hail and it fought them all off. Had a few climbs where I only had to open the zip a little to let some cool air in. I wore skins and short sleeve jersey underneath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Turning into a complete cycling w*nker and treated myself tot he new Rapha soft shell, will let ye know whats its like after the weekend as it's on the way ans should have it in the next day or so ....
    It's this one here
    http://pages.rapha.cc/stories/pro-team-softshell-jacket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

got the gabba 2 reversible jacket for xmas and took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday into the gales around kildare.. it certainly lives up the hype, nice and warm with a base-layer underneath, no windchill and its race cut definitely saves a little energy going into a headwind. was nearly praying for a drop of rain to test its waterproof claims. it's pricy for a reason. it works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mathie wrote: »

They could be got for less than 70 over the holidays. Was tempted at that price but not a that "sale" one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Castelli Alpha ordered from Wiggle, price drop to €250

Weepsie wrote: »
    They could be got for less than 70 over the holidays. Was tempted at that price but not a that "sale" one

Where was that?

• Advertisement

Halfords had them at half price, plus the 10% off. Probably a bit of a lottery. Had I realised it was convertible I'd have jumped on them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

This is on sale for 45 on planet x at the moment. Only found one review which said it is tight sizing (from an american if that matters). Agu do pretty good pannier bags is all I know

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLAGVAWPJ/agu-valero-softshell-windproof-jacket
    This is back at £35/€45 for the next 24 hours or so. Did you get one?

This is back at £35/€45 for the next 24 hours or so. Did you get one?

No afraid not, had other expenses to take care of this last week. Im still tempted by it though. and their winter bundle.

Halfords had them at half price, plus the 10% off. Probably a bit of a lottery. Had I realised it was convertible I'd have jumped on them myself.

I think that was a different jacket. And the Phantom 2 was 100
    I've one for sale for 90.

mathie wrote: »
    I think that was a different jacket. And the Phantom 2 was 100
    I've one for sale for 90.

It was and still is listed at 71.99 though now sold out. They had this one and another one that was slightly cheaper. They were certainly limited in number I'm sure as a few had difficulty getting them. That said not seen them anywhere else for less than 100 (yourself excluded and to which I may crumble)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It was and still is listed at 71.99 though now sold out. They had this one and another one that was slightly cheaper. They were certainly limited in number I'm sure as a few had difficulty getting them. That said not seen them anywhere else for less than 100 (yourself excluded and to which I may crumble)

Picked mine up for €63

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

mathie wrote:
    I think that was a different jacket. And the Phantom 2 was 100 I've one for sale for 90.

I got a Phantom 2 in halfords in liffey valley for 70 week or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Got feckin soaked yesterday, from the inside: did about 100k early, it was cold and pissing down. I think I have what's called a boil in the bag jacket, and time I have worn it I have ended up drenched on the inside. Sometimes this has been for warmth/wind protection, i.e. no rain.

I'm happy to dress for the conditions regarding temp, layer up etc, so I am looking for recommendations on something that will keep the rain out and ideally will not cook me inside. Ideally something that packs away into a pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

Got feckin soaked yesterday, from the inside: did about 100k early, it was cold and pissing down. I think I have what's called a boil in the bag jacket, and time I have worn it I have ended up drenched on the inside. Sometimes this has been for warmth/wind protection, i.e. no rain.

I'm happy to dress for the conditions regarding temp, layer up etc, so I am looking for recommendations on something that will keep the rain out and ideally will not cook me inside. Ideally something that packs away into a pocket.

I have a Mavic Altium rain jacket for sale..Breathable, zip vents..Great jacket..

See here

ckeego wrote: »
    I have a Mavic Altium rain jacket for sale..Breathable, zip vents..Great jacket..

See here

Thanks but think that'd be a bit big on me, I'm large at most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I bought a LIDL soft shell recently, it is a bit warm for this time of the year but I figure it will be perfect next winter. It seems to be pretty good at keeping rain out as well, driving rain didn't penetrate on my commute home one day, but that is only 7k, I am sure it wouldn't last if i were out in it for hours. It seemed to be oil treated though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Used the Altura night vision jacket on a cycle at the weekend. I was out in torrential rain for about an hour. Feet, legs and hands were absolutely drenched, but my top half stayed dry. It was the first time I had been out in serious rain with it as I only got it at Christmas, but it was excellent. I know its not exactly a news flash that Altura jackets keeps you dry but just thought I'd share. Don't buy cheap, buy one expensive good jacket. It's worth its weight in gold when you get caught in nasty conditions.

I use the Altura Vapour, on sale at present on Wiggle, water proof, breathable and yet fits in back pocket. I had my fair share of boil in the bag jackets but this is not one. It's a race cut/fit so doesnt flap in the wind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I didn't know whether this is worthy of its own thread or not, so I thought I'd ask here.

Which is generally seen as a better bet if you wanted to buy one good all rounder jacket, particularly for winter, (spring and autumn too). :confused:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

these are on sale:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-eq25-waterproof-cycling-jacket/ 37.61 doesnt fit in the pocket but that's stated.

I also bought this , not for winter but is completely waterproof and does fit in pocket.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-cosmo-waterproof-jacket/ 28.50

Used the Altura night vision jacket on a cycle at the weekend. I was out in torrential rain for about an hour. Feet, legs and hands were absolutely drenched, but my top half stayed dry. It was the first time I had been out in serious rain with it as I only got it at Christmas, but it was excellent. I know its not exactly a news flash that Altura jackets keeps you dry but just thought I'd share. Don't buy cheap, buy one expensive good jacket. It's worth its weight in gold when you get caught in nasty conditions.

Thanks all for the help/feedback. It was news to me that Altura are the ones to go for!!

I see this the Altura Nightvision is still available on sale on Wiggle @ €81.79. From a size guide I am always nervous buying online. I'm 6ft, slim, is large the one to go for?

Thanks again.

Thanks all for the help/feedback. It was news to me that Altura are the ones to go for!!

I see this the Altura Nightvision is still available on sale on Wiggle @ €81.79. From a size guide I am always nervous buying online. I'm 6ft, slim, is large the one to go for?

Thanks again.

There's a Q&A tab under most items on Wiggle, there's normally alot of questions in there about size. Also in the reviews section, i find it quite helpful for size info. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. I browsed through that and I got more confused, some saying medium was swimming on them and they wer ebroad shouldered, others saying that they were a tight fit and to go a size bigger if you want to layer up. Some people are in denial about their body shapes!! I found the Altura Podium on EvansCycles for 70 euro, fits in the pocket and is fully breathable and waterproof, some hopefully that does the trick!

Thanks again.

I'm 6'1, slim, and have the Altura Vapour in Large. Its a tight fit but its meant to be as its a race cut.

Note, the Nightvision will not roll up to fit in back pocket. Also it will be very "flappy" in the wind

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I browsed through that and I got more confused, some saying medium was swimming on them and they wer ebroad shouldered, others saying that they were a tight fit and to go a size bigger if you want to layer up. Some people are in denial about their body shapes!! I found the Altura Podium on EvansCycles for 70 euro, fits in the pocket and is fully breathable and waterproof, some hopefully that does the trick!

I'm expecting two jackets this week , I'm hoping some of the reviewers weren't experiencing a "shallow hall" moment when they posted their body size details :D

If it's any comfort , the Wiggle returns process is pretty painless. (assuming you've not used it)

Advertisement