Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Jacket

Options
  • 12-12-2014 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

looking to get a decent winter jack, currently feeling the cold a lot. Looking to spend max €300 on one, so I have a decent budget if anyone can advise?

cheers
    dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I bought a Assos Airjack about 3 or 4 years ago. Still as good as ever (apart from some damage from when I crashed) - pricey but very much worth it in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Thanks mate - I will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

I just got a Sportful Fiandre jacket... it has their No Rain fabric and Windstopper too so its warm & dry. You only really need a good baselayer underneath it.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sportful-fiandre-no-rain-jacket-aw14/rp-prod110107

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

I bought a Assos Airjack about 3 or 4 years ago. Still as good as ever (apart from some damage from when I crashed) - pricey but very much worth it in my view.

I have an Assos Airjack that's at least 20 years old .... still perfect ..... apart from a few crash marks. Highly recommend also!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/jackets.html

Some good value here, and yes it is legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭jamesd

Rua_ri wrote: »
    http://www.assosfactoryoutlet.com/men/jackets.html

Some good value here, and yes it is legit.

I've bought bib shorts off them with no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 835 ✭✭✭countrykid

assos air jack...only job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Assos bonka, can't go wrong, knob in reverse thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I have the Airjack and it is great.

However, I also have the Giordana FR-C Winter Jacket that I bought from a Boardsie, and on a really cold day like today (especially with a chance of rain) I would take the Giordana jacket every time. It is very well made, nicely cut, comfortable, and gives great protection from elements this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Btw the Bonka is the replacment for the Airjack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

One possible word of warning on the Assos Airjack, dunno if still relevant - my brother tells me he had one, now lost, which was superb but he found too warm for all but temps down around zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Got a DHB Windslam a few years back, which has since been superceded by something with more hi viz reflectors. It has lasted well although I generally prefer a LS Jersey with a Gilet during winter so it doesn't get much use unless its totally chucking it down.

So which is more knoby now - Assos or Rapha ? I've lost track tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I have a polaris tornado which is great - wind proof and so far this year just a base layer underneath.

Also have a craft wind stopper jacket - both modestly priced at less than €100 but no issues with either

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭BremoreDave

I got an Endura windchill a couple of weeks ago and so far its been fine.Wore it this morning 5deg. with just a baselayer , and only €70 at Swim Cycle Run.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Would a Gabba/Gabba2 be sufficient in this weather with a base layer? Have one arriving in the next couple of days anyway, so I'll report back with my findings!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ror_74 wrote: »
    Got a DHB Windslam a few years back, which has since been superceded by something with more hi viz reflectors. It has lasted well although I generally prefer a LS Jersey with a Gilet during winter so it doesn't get much use unless its totally chucking it down.

have one of those as well, the windslams, great jacket, love mine. hasn't been out yet this year due to me getting a gabba, and a new born at home meaning 2 hour turbos rather than outside rides, but they are a nice jacket

mossym wrote: »
    have one of those as well, the windslams, great jacket, love mine. hasn't been out yet this year due to me getting a gabba, and a new born at home meaning 2 hour turbos rather than outside rides, but they are a nice jacket

Congrats :)

How does it compare to the gabba ? I find you can wear the Windslam with jeans without looking like a complete twat. Handy for wet spins to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I have a polaris tornado which is great - wind proof and so far this year just a base layer underneath.

+1 on the Polaris Tornado. I have one since last year. A great jacket I used all last winter and this one and still looks great. Not very waterproof in heavy rain but stays warm even when wet. Reasonably priced too, I think I paid about €80 on wiggle for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭C3PO

Knoby?

• Advertisement

C3PO wrote: »
    Knoby?

There's usually somebody giving out about either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

http://galibier.cc/product/colombiere-defense-training-jacket/

few people i know swear by this jacket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

C3PO wrote: »
    Knoby?

Beasty wears assos as much as I wear Rapha so you makes your choice and takes your pick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Would a Gabba/Gabba2 be sufficient in this weather with a base layer? Have one arriving in the next couple of days anyway, so I'll report back with my findings!

Once you get the layering right the Gabba I think should be fine, though during the zero degrees stuff, particularly with any damp in the air, lately I found I really needed the second layer. Certainly personally I'd think the Gabba has me covered along with a bit of trial & error in terms of conditions.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AmberGold wrote: »
    Assos bonka, can't go wrong, knob in reverse thou.
    Only ever try and go forwards in mine.....
    AmberGold wrote: »
    Btw the Bonka is the replacment for the Airjack.
    Always thought of it as a replacement for the Fugu, with a similar inner neck layer. Price-wise it's a bit nearer also, and both are/were essentially their top of the range windproof winter jackets, albeit one succeeding the other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

sorry to highjack

but i'm trying to understand cycling jackets
    it seems people go for the windproof jackets (softshell)

rather then the waterproof (rain jackets)

is this correct.

this is my first winter cycling so i'm not sure which way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

dunworth1 wrote: »
    sorry to highjack

but i'm trying to understand cycling jackets
    it seems people go for the windproof jackets (softshell)

rather then the waterproof (rain jackets)
    I prefer to have both. The use depends on the weather conditions.

Congrats :)

How does it compare to the gabba ? I find you can wear the Windslam with jeans without looking like a complete twat. Handy for wet spins to the shop.

cheers. i see them as two different jackets. the windslam i'd prefer in really cold weather, it's heavier, easier to layer under. long slow cycles in the winter i'd reach for the windlsam. but it's a bit bulky and heavy

the gabba is much more race cut, lighter jacket. i don;t find it as warm as some on here claim, definitely need more than 1 layer on a really cold day, but it's still very warm for it's weight. wind-proofing and waterproofing are superb. i;d rate the gabba higher, but that's a not a vote against the windslam

Seweryn wrote: »
    I prefer to have both. The use depends on the weather conditions.

agreed. need both. in most cases though waterproof means in both directions, so you can sweat a lot. so a heavy softshell for warmth, a light waterproof you can layer under.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

mossym wrote: »
    agreed. need both. in most cases though waterproof means in both directions, so you can sweat a lot. so a heavy softshell for warmth, a light waterproof you can layer under.

I use a soft shell in the winter when it's dry - it'll handle a shower but not much else.

Last night it was raining heavy when I left work - I threw on a montane velocity rain jacket which I find excellent. Not exactly race cut and not too flappy - waterproofing and breatability is good. It'll also fold up handy for the pack pocket for weekend spins.

Advertisement