Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being wronged - how do you get past it?

Options
124»

Comments

Maybe, it's hard to know exactly what happened. I thought it was that she intervened before the charity was involved as they were too stretched.

nope - she worked there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

OP, @NewYork1979, this is ciall ceannaithe for you: you've learned that you should not facilitate conmen. The point at which you should have become suspicious (and will in future) is the point where the family wish to have an animal that they're going to have to pay to feed, but want you to pay for the microchipping and vaccinations.
    If people are not prepared to make that relatively small commitment to their pet, they're not going to be prepared to walk it, groom it, house it, feed it and love it.
    The one thing that might solve your frantic worry about the dog is to hire the Pet Detective. He's not cheap, but you may be able to arrange with him what your limit is. He sometimes has more success than busy gardaí or people with a stake in the question in finding what's happened to an animal. He's got stolen pets back, tracked down a cat lost at the airport while in transit, etc.
    It might also be an idea to see if there's such a thing as an unofficial list of people to be cautious of, circulated among animal charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

nope - she worked there.

No I didn't work there, I volunteered from time to time. This honestly isn't a case of me trying to cover my back with a charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭NewYork1979

I will let you all know if I get news. I'll try again with the guards.

Thanks again for the various posts. Different views, good and bad, help to sort through this in my head which is why I posted.

Mods, I'm not sure at this point there's much point keeping this post open, I'm not sure how to close the post so if you could I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

I will let you all know if I get news. I'll try again with the guards.

Thanks again for the various posts. Different views, good and bad, help to sort through this in my head which is why I posted.

Mods, I'm not sure at this point there's much point keeping this post open, I'm not sure how to close the post so if you could I'd appreciate it.

Me and my current partner went to adopt a dog a few years ago. A boxer. We paid €500 for her and the breeder told us most of her brothers and sisters went to the pound. "Can you give us the name of the contact?" Will ya stop, we can barely afford this lass. Then webrought her home and I fell in love with boxers. I told my partner to adopt "Boscos" brothers and sisters without filling me in.

Now I live in a gaff where boxer dogs run the show. When I go for a run, I bring one of them along. The dogs would die for me. When I feel low, they cop it and crawl up and give me the paw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

Op there is a network of these types. Be careful you will now be known as a soft touch. If anyone connected to these people approaches you looking for animals or anything really be wary.

Listen you were duped you have to hold up your hands and say they conned me. It happens. It's awful.

But you have done all you can and if the guards can't help there is nothing more you can do.

You should cease all contact with these people though. There is a HUGE underground business and you would not believe what goes on. There is a combination of money and violence sometimes. You don't want to know what these people are capable of.

I don't deal with wrong doers . I cease dealing with wrong doers.
    OP, @NewYork1979, this is ciall ceannaithe for you: you've learned that you should not facilitate conmen.

This.

Perhaps also you have learned that you are not experienced enough to make these assessments and the DSPCA has more experience so maybe leave it to them.

Please do not contact these people. People who do this are often violent or involved in dog fighting etc.

These people preselected you because they know you were soft and will tell other in their circle. If you get others asking you for pets go through the shelters.

Advertisement