Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DPF removal in Munster?

Options
  • 10-12-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, this is my first post here so I'm hoping you guys can help me. After much headaches and frustration I have decided to remove the DPF from my 2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0tdi 170bhp. The question I have is who is reliable and trustworthy to do this in the Munster area? I have got huge difference in the quotes for a removal and remap (between 300 and 615 euros for the same job) so what gives??? I know there are cowboys in every industry but I really need to get this done right as the car stands me a lot of money now. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Kc systems in watergrasshill do that anyway and think they meant to be decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 snapple954

Thanks, I will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

From memory, there is a main VW dealer in Castleisland, near Tralee. I think they're called Ahearns.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

it will/may fail the next nct for DPF removal..............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭ofcork

sogood wrote: »
    From memory, there is a main VW dealer in Castleisland, near Tralee. I think they're called Ahearns.

They are a bmw dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Volvoair wrote: »
    it will/may fail the next nct for DPF removal..............

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have a local friend that is excellent at this
    Dpf removal and decent remap on your car is I think 350
    Dyno to show before and afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

snapple954 wrote: »
    Hi all, this is my first post here so I'm hoping you guys can help me. After much headaches and frustration I have decided to remove the DPF from my 2008 Volkswagen Passat 2.0tdi 170bhp. The question I have is who is reliable and trustworthy to do this in the Munster area? I have got huge difference in the quotes for a removal and remap (between 300 and 615 euros for the same job) so what gives??? I know there are cowboys in every industry but I really need to get this done right as the car stands me a lot of money now. Any help is appreciated.

you could get it reconditioned.....

http://www.thedpfclinic.com/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Have a 08 Passat also 2l and dpf light went recently along with occasional throttle body fault/limp mode.Looked into it and id start on replacing this and egr first. Replaced throttle body on it and forced regen the old dpf and its grand now. Id be careful with the 170bhp version which has a siemens ecu and is difficult to fully write out the dpf. People drive for 100 miles with no faults then the dash lights up like a xmas tree.
    Also if getting the dpf removed make sure they cut open the can and reweld it rather than a bypass pipe as it will fail future ncts if they ever visually check for one like they do in uk now.
    Remaps are for the most part a con, the manufacturer knows better than any remapper that's a fact.

supervento wrote: »
    you could get it reconditioned.....

http://www.thedpfclinic.com/contact-us/

its probably not the dpf though just a sign rather than symptom...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

lomb wrote: »
    Remaps are for the most part a con, the manufacturer knows better than any remapper that's a fact.

How are remaps a con?
    If you remove the dpf the ecu must be altered so that it thinks it's fine that there is no dpf.
    Otherwise the second it notices it gone it will go nuts!

lomb wrote: »
    Have a 08 Passat also 2l and dpf light went recently along with occasional throttle body fault/limp mode.Looked into it and id start on replacing this and egr first. Replaced throttle body on it and forced regen the old dpf and its grand now. Id be careful with the 170bhp version which has a siemens ecu and is difficult to fully write out the dpf. People drive for 100 miles with no faults then the dash lights up like a xmas tree.
    Also if getting the dpf removed make sure they cut open the can and reweld it rather than a bypass pipe as it will fail future ncts if they ever visually check for one like they do in uk now.

.No,
    Anyone that knows what they are doing will do it properly.

My guy is a well respected Polish guy and certainly works to a high standard.

YbFocus wrote: »
    How are remaps a con?
    If you remove the dpf the ecu must be altered so that it thinks it's fine that there is no dpf.
    Otherwise the second it notices it gone it will go nuts!

X2

Remapping any diesel will give you better mpg and more power. Manufacturers have reasons for the maps they load on cars, none of which make much difference in the real world.

Every diesel owner should have a remap, dpf removal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you cannot get it done close to you then I recommend bringing it to Joe Power in Chipped Ireland. He is based close to Dublin but knows this stuff inside out. He can remove and delete the DPF, remap and dyno the car afterwards.

vectra wrote: »
    .No,
    Anyone that knows what they are doing will do it properly.

My guy is a well respected Polish guy and certainly works to a high standard.

I suppose I should have added location.

He is in Fermoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭shabalala

A friedn of mine went to Souhans in meath, i know your in cork but they are regarded as the best for that engine.

My mate has an A4 170 and got the dpf removed, replaced the gap with new pipe and remap.

Car is now much nicer to drive, way smoother and more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was going to this in my last car and was told not to as the NCT were going to be bringing in the same test they had for the UK

Mc Love wrote: »
    Was going to this in my last car and was told not to as the NCT were going to be bringing in the same test they had for the UK

Isn't that just a visual that it is removed in a proper manner? I don't k ow much about these things but I believe there is a popular way to remove them which is incorrect for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

There's a guy in Limerick that does the remap. Did my brothers 170 Audi after DPF removal and it's running like a clock since. I should be able to get his number if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

ofcork wrote: »
    They are a bmw dealer.

Yes, I got the name wrong. The BMW dealer is on the main Castleisland to Tralee road. The outfit I'm thinking of is on the Farranfore to Castleisland road, on the right hand side, just as you come into town.

• Advertisement

shabalala wrote: »
    A friedn of mine went to Souhans in meath, i know your in cork but they are regarded as the best for that engine.

My mate has an A4 170 and got the dpf removed, replaced the gap with new pipe and remap.

Car is now much nicer to drive, way smoother and more power.

They do a dpf delete pipe
    Proper way of doing it is oped the dpf and remove the insides, weld it up and put it back.
    SouhansDo not have a Dyno as far as I am aware? They had none last time I was there anyway,
    Mc Love wrote: »
    Mr Detail wrote: »
    Isn't that just a visual that it is removed in a proper manner? I don't k ow much about these things but I believe there is a popular way to remove them which is incorrect for whatever reason.

Not even a visual here yet,
    No talks of it either.
    dmc17 wrote: »
    There's a guy in Limerick that does the remap. Did my brothers 170 Audi after DPF removal and it's running like a clock since. I should be able to get his number if you want it.

Would not hand my car in anywhere that have no Dyno.

Thanks for the input guys, the thing is I have had the DPF professionally cleaned and a regeneration by my mechanic brought the values down to zero.

That is the most frustrating and confusing part because after doing that and driving the car for 100km on comes the DPF light and limp mode soon follows.

When I took it into the garage he said it was the turbo, which I had my doubts about. I convinced the mechanic to check other things (sensors etc) and he found it was the exhaust pressure sensor. Sensor replaced, another regeneration and I'm on the road again..........100km later DPF light on and limp mode.
    Conclusion by mechanic....DPF finished!!
    So my question is how can a DPF that shows clean after a regeneration now all of a sudden be screwed??

And by the way the EGR valve is working but hasn't been taken out to see if it's clean. The car also has had the recall for the injectors.

^^
    Drop that car in to my Guys in Fermoy and I can almost guarantee you will have no further issues with it.

Thanks vectra, could you post contact info for your guy in Fermoy? I would like to have a chat with him.

What about the throttle body.?The amount of crap in the pipe from the sump into the body causes the gears to strip and it stays open slightly allowing a rich mixture afaik and it soots up the dpf. Yours could be slightly knackered so it filling the dpf up over a short time. . Part no was 03L128063B or 03L128063A

As I say its the first thing I would replace. Mine did throw a fault code for it as well as the dpf though sending it into limp, forced regenning it caused the limp to stop but then it started in 20 or 30 miles again.
    The bosch ecu on the 140 is just an on or off on the dpf but the siemens ecu on the 170 has the dpf stuff written on many levels and each has to be altered.

I contacted Joe Power for a quote twice on dpf delete remap and he never got back . I did tell him I had no interest in a performance remap so that might explain it!

I actually dont believe in performance remapping as all they do is increase the fuel rail pressure, make the turbo spin up sooner so your dumping your fuel when at cruise speeds on a motorway instead of economy. Also making the car wear out quicker than designed. Most cars are quick enough and my theory is if you want a quicker car then buy one.

You should contact George Dalton on here who could sort it out for you parts and labour and is more familiar with them than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

http://www.sportchip.ie/dpf.html did mine two years ago. all good since

snapple954 wrote: »
    Thanks vectra, could you post contact info for your guy in Fermoy? I would like to have a chat with him.

Messaged you.
    Not sure I can post on here as would look like advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fartman

i got it done on my a4 170 and its great.. car runs better and more power

lomb wrote:
    What about the throttle body.?The amount of crap in the pipe from the sump into the body causes the gears to strip and it stays open slightly allowing a rich mixture afaik and it soots up the dpf. Yours could be slightly knackered so it filling the dpf up over a short time. . Part no was 03L128063B or 03L128063A

That's something I will have to investigate for sure, my mechanic never mentioned that to me but I just have a sneaking suspicion that it may not be the DPF itself at all.
    Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

• Advertisement

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?134644-Throttle-body-actuator-DPF-light

"if throttle or egr are open then you will load the dpf up very quickly "

Advertisement