Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DPF removal in Munster?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 snapple954

lomb wrote:
    "if throttle or egr are open then you will load the dpf up very quickly "

I don't doubt what you are saying but the only doubt I have with my car is that it did not show a fault code for the throttle body or egr. I will get it checked out again though.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Joe Power does fantastic work, he blanked the swirl flaps, bypassed the EGR, did and DPF Delete and as mentioned left the unit there but gutted, the DPF light still comes on as part of the check when you turn the key so to the NCT guys it looks like it's still there. He gave it a few more BHP too at my request too. Car was smoother and a LOT easier on fuel. He can be hard to get a hold of as he is crazy busy all the time!!!! Top bloke and great to deal with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

How much did he charge fo that?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hof1982

vectra wrote: »
    Messaged you.
    Not sure I can post on here as would look like advertising

Hey Vectra,

Can you also PM me the contact for the guy in Fermoy? I'm not far from there and having similar issues with my Accord. I have had it with main dealer and they can't figure what the cause is having verified the operation of the EGR and said they checked the DPF although I have my doubts about that. Having said that I would be reluctant to remove the DPF altogether given the likelihood of it being incorporated into the NCT.

The first thing I need is a proper diagnostic assessment, is you guy good on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

hof1982 wrote: »
    Hey Vectra,

Can you also PM me the contact for the guy in Fermoy? I'm not far from there and having similar issues with my Accord. I have had it with main dealer and they can't figure what the cause is having verified the operation of the EGR and said they checked the DPF although I have my doubts about that. Having said that I would be reluctant to remove the DPF altogether given the likelihood of it being incorporated into the NCT.

The first thing I need is a proper diagnostic assessment, is you guy good on that?

Yes,
    These guys are top step lads.

I may as well put their details here for anyone interested in contacting them

Messaged you as well.

http://fermoygarage.com/

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    How much did he charge fo that?

€600 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

lomb wrote: »
    I actually dont believe in performance remapping as all they do is increase the fuel rail pressure, make the turbo spin up sooner so your dumping your fuel when at cruise speeds on a motorway instead of economy. Also making the car wear out quicker than designed. Most cars are quick enough and my theory is if you want a quicker car then buy one.

It's a lot more involved than that if it's being done properly. Any clown can turn up those parameters (a lot of the tuning boxes that turn up on eBay more or less do that by fooling the sensors). A good remapper will go into the maps and move parameters around for different parts of the rev range to suit the customer's needs, and to make sure he doesn't exceed the safe operating limits of the engine.

When I got my car remapped, peak power only went up 11 bhp (without putting on a bigger turbo and fuel pump that was the best I was going to get) but the power band was hugely widened and cruising economy improved also.

Yes,
    These guys are top step lads.

I may as well put their details here for anyone interested in contacting them

Messaged you

Just to let you know Vectra, i spoke with Lukas at Fermoy Garage and he knows his stuff for sure. I told him my story with the car and that i wanted the DPF out. He said it would take about 5 to 6 hours and he quoted me a very reasonable price, so i will try to get up to him between Christmas and New Year. I will put up a post when i get sorted out just to let everyone know how it goes.

snapple954 wrote: »

Just to let you know Vectra, i spoke with Lukas at Fermoy Garage and he knows his stuff for sure. I told him my story with the car and that i wanted the DPF out. He said it would take about 5 to 6 hours and he quoted me a very reasonable price, so i will try to get up to him between Christmas and New Year. I will put up a post when i get sorted out just to let everyone know how it goes.

He certainly does.
    It may or may not be Lukas that does it. If not it would most likely be Jarek if you are getting it mapped.

Both are well keyed into this.

Let us know how it goes for you.
    Did you mention me?

He certainly does.
    It may or may not be Lukas that does it. If not it would most likely be Jarek if you are getting it mapped.

Both are well keyed into this.

Let us know how it goes for you.
    Did you mention me?

Just a quick post to let you guys know that i got my DPF removed by Fermoy garage yesterday, and judging by the drive home it was the right move for sure!
    I did not get a performance remap as i did not want it but the car feels even more powerful
    now anyway. Lukas did the work on the car and he said it would probably have a bit more
    BHP due to the DPF removal.

Well so far so good anyway, no more lights on the dash and no more limp mode!
    But after dealing with different mechanics for so long and not going for more than 100km
    without limp mode kicking in, i am still a bit paranoid. But im sure that will fade after a while.
    Lukas was very informative and was very reasonably priced for the work, so overall i would recommend them. Thanks Vectra for pointing me in their direction (and yes i did mention your name)

I will post again in a couple of months just to let everyone know how the car is performing
    and just to help anyone out who might be thinking of getting this job done.

Thanks again to everyone who posted on this topic

• Advertisement

snapple954 wrote: »
    Just a quick post to let you guys know that i got my DPF removed by Fermoy garage yesterday, and judging by the drive home it was the right move for sure!
    I did not get a performance remap as i did not want it but the car feels even more powerful
    now anyway. Lukas did the work on the car and he said it would probably have a bit more
    BHP due to the DPF removal.

Well so far so good anyway, no more lights on the dash and no more limp mode!
    But after dealing with different mechanics for so long and not going for more than 100km
    without limp mode kicking in, i am still a bit paranoid. But im sure that will fade after a while.
    Lukas was very informative and was very reasonably priced for the work, so overall i would recommend them. Thanks Vectra for pointing me in their direction (and yes i did mention your name)

I will post again in a couple of months just to let everyone know how the car is performing
    and just to help anyone out who might be thinking of getting this job done.

Thanks again to everyone who posted on this topic

Excellent.
    I am glad you got sorted in the end.
    As I previously stated, I can't imagine anything being beyond their abilities. Very intelligent people in the garage.

As far as I am aware the car should feel more powerful as the dpf would starve it of some bhp.
    It should possibly be more fuel efficiant now as well.
    Looking forward to future reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would a performance remap have improved horsepower? I really dont know why manufacturers limit the potential of cars they sell to market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would a performance remap have improved horsepower? I really dont know why manufacturers limit the potential of cars they sell to market?

Emissions or to get people to fork out more for higher versions.

When I got the DPF removed I too was told the car would be up in BHP so if you didn't feel you needed the performance map then you did the right thing!! Happy safe motoring!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's not just bhp that's increased, torque is increased also giving more pull in the gear range. I had my last two cars remapped and the difference is noticeable, never had an issue with the cars either. The most important thing is to make sure the mapper is reputable and knows their stuff as opposed to a guy with a laptop fiddling with the parameters of a generic map.

^^
    Yes,
    I saw a car Lukasz and Jarek worked on recently.

DPF delete
    EGR delete
    Remap

bhp went from 153 to 199.6

Torque went from 231.8 to 291.9

jesus thats impressive!

Does he put the DPF back in then without the filter? And if some other garage plugged in the diagnostics kit would it fup the new program up? Would love a bit more power in the mondeo I have.

jesus thats impressive!

Does he put the DPF back in then without the filter? And if some other garage plugged in the diagnostics kit would it fup the new program up? Would love a bit more power in the mondeo I have.

I forgot to add that I spoke to the guy that owns the car recently and he said on a run it added 8~10mpg on a run and is much improved about town.
    He is loving the extra grunt as well .

The take down the dpf
    Cut the top of it and remove the guts.
    Weld it back up and refit it so it looks as should be.

Unsure of what could happen in other garage but why not just bring it to them for further work?

Unless your DPF is actually giving problems then I wouldn't touch it, it's only a matter of time before the NCT start checking/testing them. Also you don't have to remove the DPF to have the car remapped.

For a service, I'd be coming from Limerick :) Saved this thread so when I get a good cashflow again I can call and see if I can get the work done.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Unless your DPF is actually giving problems then I wouldn't touch it, it's only a matter of time before the NCT start checking/testing them. Also you don't have to remove the DPF to have the car remapped.

Agreed but to be fair there is absolutely no talk of DPF checks on the nct horizon. If it does come in it will take a long time and then will most likely be only a visual check.

While you do not need to get the dpf removed for a remap the gains of a remap are much better if you do remove it.

Yeah I was having a look on the interweb and came across a forum Talkford and one lad bought his car and the next day had his dpf removed and remapped. He had no problems with his MOT and some tester was on there and said it is only if the CAT is removed from petrols. There is no issue with DPF removal in diesels. So I'd say NCT would probably follow the same practice.

No talk at the moment but they recently introduced DPF testing in the UK MOT and usually it's monkey see, monkey do over here eventually. Personally I found the remap without DPF removal plenty but not everyone may.

bazz26 wrote: »
    No talk at the moment but they recently introduced DPF testing in the UK MOT and usually it's monkey see, monkey do over here eventually. Personally I found the remap without DPF removal plenty but not everyone may.

We are at least 4 years behind the UK anyway so I wouldn't worry about it. All these cars will most likely be sold on by then.

But of course it is a case of swings and roundabouts :)

Advertisement