Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Sale (Christmas, 2014 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Transistor is a good buy, well worth that price. Interesting combat system, customisable difficulty, good story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Bit meh again today, even though something I do want is on sale, Transistor, I don't think I'm going to go for it yet because I still haven't played Bastion.

Though for anyone who doesn't have it, Dishonored is downright incredible

Seriously one of the most engrossing and memorable games I've ever played, the world building, atmosphere and story as well as the visuals of the game are just amazing, and the gameplay is magnificent. The DLC is well worth it too, basically a whole new storyline that rivals the main game for how good it is, so pick up the GOTY edition ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Received a €50 Steam Voucher and picked up Shadow of Mordor, This War Of Mine and Transistor.

Received Planetary Annihilation, Lords of the Fallen, The Evil Within, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Fall, Risk of Rain and the BIT.TRIP Collection as gifts from friends and relatives.

I think I should be covered for games until next summer, possibly beyond! :D

Having said that, if The Talos Principle comes down a decent bit, I will probably purchase it!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've not bought much (Valkyria Chronicles and Fallout 3), but it seems like it's been a decent sale overall. Not as good as they used to be sure, but still plenty of good offers. There was always going to be a point where most of us start seeing these sales as pretty poor though. We constantly have access to insanely cheap games, and have also already bought most of the back catalogue that we want, so we see the sales as a disappointment.

Anyone new to pc gaming, or anyone that's been away for a while will see these like we saw the sales of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Got Rogue Legacy at 85% off- can't go too wrong at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Much better sale today. Got Divinity from my brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Wossack wrote: »
    Got Rogue Legacy at 85% off- can't go too wrong at that
    Definitely worth grabbing at that price. Loved that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Is Tomb Raider worth getting? And if yes should I go for the GOTY edition or just the original game. Also is it more graphical advanced on PC than the xbox 360 version as I know someone who has it on xbox ans can lend it to me but if it looks better on PC then I do not mind spending the €3.99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is Tomb Raider worth getting? And if yes should I go for the GOTY edition or just the original game. Also is it more graphical advanced on PC than the xbox 360 version as I know someone who has it on xbox ans can lend it to me but if it looks better on PC then I do not mind spending the €3.99

It's a great game. A full play-through without doing side-missions takes less than 15 hours. The side-missions are good though, they are more exploring tombs rather than fetch quests and could add a good bit of extra playtime maybe about 5 hours. The graphics are better on Pc if your computer can handle the max settings but the difference probably isn't massive. The GOTY doesn't add as much to the game as it adds to the multi-player. If you think you will play the multi-player a bit get it, it adds a lot, but if you're not going to bother playing the multi-player, just pick up the campaign DLC for 49 cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Oh yes Tomb Raider is brilliant on PC. One of the best ports out there and looks so much better than its last gen counterpart.

Might not bother with the GOTY edition though as a lot of it is multiplayer content and not a lot of people play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Got so much in this sale because I had already spent like 40 euro before getting 50 in a voucher as a surprise from my parents for xmas. :D

My pick-ups so far:

All of the Bit.Trip games
    Bioshock 2
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    Gundemonium Trilogy
    How the Saints Saved Christmas
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Long Live the Queen
    Metal Gear Rising
    Papers, Please
    Quake II
    Shadow Warrior
    Skullgirls
    Spec Ops The Line
    Thomas Was Alone
    Transistor
    Uplink
    Valkyria Chronicles
    The Walking Dead Season 2

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone new to pc gaming, or anyone that's been away for a while will see these like we saw the sales of old.

Honestly, there has been some very good deals today and yesterday, Dishonored, Tomb Raider, Max Payne, Fallout New Vegas, Shadowrun, I just have them all already. Payday 2 was a fantastic deal with the new GOTY edition. I'm also being a bit more stingy than I've been before, there's games on my wishlist that have already gone on sale that I'm passing up because I've too much of a backlog, such as Papers Please, Gone Home, Valkyria Chronicles and now Transistor (though Transistor is still seriously tempting me, and that IS a good deal). I'm just being way more strict with myself this sale, and I guess that comes with being a Steam Sale veteran ;)

I mean, while I was humming and hawwing about whether I should get Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, I kinda made myself the ultimatum that if I bought it, I had to play it right away and if I wasn't going to install it and play it, then I wasn't going to buy it. Well, that little ultimatum worked, because I bought it, and when it was finished downloading (it took a while though), booted it up right away and started playing it. I was adamant that it wasn't going to be another game that I got with the plans of playing it 'at some stage' and just adding to the backlog, and I'm all the happier with my purchase for it. So far I've sunk 4-ish hours into it, defeated Mistral, played with some of the VR missions and I've managed to unlock a different skin for Raiden. I have to admit, he's a very hot protagonist :) and looks even more awesome in this skin compared to the normal one:

MGR-OriginalCyborgBody.png

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty damn pleased with myself ;)

But honestly, I'm thinking of doing things this way any more, at least until I've played more of the games from my backlog. If a game comes up that I really want to buy, ask myself, am I gonna play this right now? If not, pass on it. Which is why I'm passing on Transistor, because even though I really want it I know that I'm not going to play it now. So it can wait.

It kinda feels cool getting a load of awesome stuff in the sales, like last year when all I wanted for my birthday was money towards the sale, and ended up having €70 to blow on games, I got a lot of awesome things! Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Tomb Raider, among other things, and I played the **** out of those! But I also got other things at the same time that I haven't touched yet, like Alan Wake and Max Payne 3... And it feels kinda ****ty to think they've been sitting there for a year and a half unplayed. I look at my list of games, and I see so much unplayed and I feel bad about it. I'm actually buying more than I'm playing, so it's got to the point where I wonder, am I buying stuff that I may never play? That's not a good feeling.

So yeah, my whole approach to Steam sales now has changed, my outlook on them has changed. In comparison, I bought the last few Payday 2 DLCs full price on release, but I never felt like I got ripped off or should've waited for them to go on sale, I felt it was money well spent because I was playing Payday right away. €6.29 for the Hotline Miami DLC on release, it really only added a new heist, but worth it for the amount of times I played that map, and I'm still getting my money's worth out of it. Paying €2-something for Just Cause 2 isn't worth it unless I play it, no matter how good a deal it is.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is awesome because I'm actually playing it! :D

Is Tomb Raider worth getting? And if yes should I go for the GOTY edition or just the original game.

Get it, but just go for the regular edition. Seriously fantastic game.
    e_e wrote: »
    My pick-ups so far:

Nice haul! :D I think we've some similar tastes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Links234 wrote: »
    Get it, but just go for the regular edition. Seriously fantastic game.

Got it, downloading now. I also picked up the single player dlc for 49 cents.

I have no idea when I will get to play it. I'm still playing the DLC on Borderlands 2 and then I have to play the pre sequel. I am also one or two mission into Battlefield 4, I started that as the steam servers were overloaded around Christmas and I didn't know you can play in off line mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Well, that little ultimatum worked, because I bought it
    Youve bought one of the best action games ever, ill admit its a slow starter in terms of getting used to the awkward controls( is it just me or are Platinum Games **** for easy access controls? ), once you can aim the slices the game becomes much better and far more accessable, i would recommend watching a tutorial on aiming the slices as its a 100% necessity later in the game and the earlier you learn it the more bonuses you get and obviously youll be better at it for later in the game.

Man i loved that game once i got the hang of it.

Yeah, definitely taking some getting used to alright, but I do think I've got the aiming down ;) any particular videos you might recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

Hoping for a better discount on This War Of Mine - 25% isn't quite enough to tempt me, especially as I've such a backlog of games that need playing!

Dishonored and Tomb Raider are both great options for those prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

anyone played The Banner Saga, I love the Don Bluth style graphics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

So far I've gotten South Park, Rogue Legacy and the crazily good value Eidos pack via Square Enix.

I'm thinking of picking up the Strongbad game too. It's currently 75% off, which is the lowest it's gone in the past two years, but is it actually any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Skerries wrote: »

I barely scratched the surface, my friends who played it said it was a solid turn based combat game with RPG elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Dont bother it's not finished - and by that i mean the storyline is incomplete and wont ever be completed according to some of the chatter on their forums.

edit: yeah, i just checked my steam playtime for it - completed the game and it's totalled at 10.5 hours, i restarted after about 3 hours because i'd messed something important up so you're looking at a grand total of 7.5 hours of playtime with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Yeah, definitely taking some getting used to alright, but I do think I've got the aiming down ;) any particular videos you might recommend?
    This is the one that helped me - http://youtu.be/C7IlIUKP64o
    Actually i watched a few of that guys tutorial vids for MGS: R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I loved it

Have been dipping in and out of this the last few months, really like the art style and the sound track to the game.

My Haul so far:

Endless Legend: which is looking like it is going to be much better than Civ:BE.

Dungeon Of The Endless: Dota crossed with FTL madness, I really am enjoying this, very simple mechanics but tied together really well. If you like rogue likes, you will love this.

Shadow Run: Dragon Fall, played the original, seems like more of the same but in a good way.

Alpha Protocol: Hidden gem of a game, yes some of the mechanics are wonky (shooting, cover) but the each play through is very different based on your choices, one of the few RPGs where you choices matter. Well worth a punt for a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Falthyron wrote: »
    Received Planetary Annihilation, Lords of the Fallen, The Evil Within, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, The Fall, Risk of Rain and the BIT.TRIP Collection as gifts from friends and relatives.

Just grabbed that one last night, short game, but I enjoyed it more than I'd have thought possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Hoping for a better discount on This War Of Mine - 25% isn't quite enough to tempt me, especially as I've such a backlog of games that need playing!

Like yourself, was keeping an eye on 'This War of Mine' given the reviews and such. However, I don't think we are going to be lucky enough to see a bigger drop than 25% on it given that it is one of the Daily Deal's. Be very surprised to see it go for much less than what it is now. So I'm thinking of leaving it for this sale and waiting down the line when it's a bit cheaper and my backlog isn't quite so deep!

Ah folks, This War of Mine was only just released in November, you really can't expect to get a huge discount on it, give it until the summer sale. Big discounts on stuff that's just released is pretty rare, like Evil Within, was pretty shocked to see it so heavily discounted so soon after release, it happens but it's not really the norm.

35 minutes before the deal ends, but I would recommend Deadlight. Very enjoyable game for a mere €1.19.

Actually, Deadlight is another game I had been interested in for a while that I'm going to pass on, I'm just not adding to the backlog.

• Advertisement

Actually, Deadlight is another game I had been interested in for a while that I'm going to pass on, I'm just not adding to the backlog.

Ah sure, it's only a euro... :pac:

Advertisement