Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Sale (Christmas, 2014 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got kerbal, probably wont go lower than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

meh..

this sale is awful :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm going to wait until it's over before declaring it awful, but it's been pretty underwhelming the last couple of days. Only 50% off CS:GO? Miserable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Links234 wrote: »
    I'm going to wait until it's over before declaring it awful, but it's been pretty underwhelming the last couple of days. Only 50% off CS:GO? Miserable.
    I think the problem is that the amount that appear to be on sale is relatively limited and the percentages are exactly the same as in the Halloween sale. Flash sales being every 12h rather then 6h, voting being once a day rather then four times a day, no minigames, no company bundles etc. makes it all pretty meh to be honest. It simply does not feel like the big Christmas/Summer sales because there's a lot less on sale and none of the usual staples of them from the past are there (not helped that half the sales are for early access compared to a ton of bigger titles & good indies in previous sales)...

Only to add; compared to previous sales you'd buy stuff because it was cheap and you might want to play it; with this sale there's no such grab of the wallet and it's not because "I already own them all" because there's plenty of indy stuff etc. out there but the "feel" of the sale, the frenzy so to speak, is simply not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The Steam Sale has been junk for years, i used to only buy stuff thats 75% of and less than 5 euro. I bought Stalker for 1,29euro if i remember correctly and a few other great games. Then 3 or 4 years ago publishers started jacking up game prices, e.g. Alice Returns got jacked up to 50euro, then they apply a 75% discount which means it was still 12.50euro.
    Decent non indi games rarely if ever go for less than 5 euro.

You get much much better deals elsewhere, i picked up the following:

Alien: Isolation: 13.34EUR( Kinguin )
    Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor: 14.13EUR( Kinguin )
    MGS Ground Zero: ~8EUR( Nuuvem )
    GT Legends: 1.19EUR( Steam )

So they did get over a euro from me :), i should have just mined for some cards and sold them to pay for GT Legends.
    Incidentally if anyones interested in mining their games for cards in the background, you can do it with Idle Master( i got around 10 cards running it for 2 hours ) :
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=123554027

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bought a load of payday DLC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Nody wrote: »
    I think the problem is that the amount that appear to be on sale is relatively limited and the percentages are exactly the same as in the Halloween sale. Flash sales being every 12h rather then 6h, voting being once a day rather then four times a day, no minigames, no company bundles etc. makes it all pretty meh to be honest. It simply does not feel like the big Christmas/Summer sales because there's a lot less on sale and none of the usual staples of them from the past are there (not helped that half the sales are for early access compared to a ton of bigger titles & good indies in previous sales)...

Only to add; compared to previous sales you'd buy stuff because it was cheap and you might want to play it; with this sale there's no such grab of the wallet and it's not because "I already own them all" because there's plenty of indy stuff etc. out there but the "feel" of the sale, the frenzy so to speak, is simply not there.

I think the Flash Sales and the Community Choices have been pitiful to say the least

I'd disagree that it's been junk for years, even up to until this summer it was goos. I think it's easy to be cynical if you've picked up a lot of stuff you want already, but that's not the reason it was underwhelming this time, there are things that I want, they're just not showing up or the discounts haven't been great. I actually like that the flash sales last 12 hours instead of 8, previous times I could've slept through a flash sale, now I can catch all of them, so that's a bit of an improvement. But yeah, underwhelming on the whole.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

When does the sale finish guys?

2nd January i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Lads is it worth picking up South Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

I thought it was good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Arma 3 Digital Deluxe for €32.49, is it likely to drop any lower than that no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Lads is it worth picking up South Park?

It was one of my favourite games this year. Good value given that it is just over a tenner.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Arma 3 Digital Deluxe for €32.49, is it likely to drop any lower than that no?

Probably, only -35% discount, so wait and see if it'll show up in a daily deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Any opinions on Starpoint Gemini 2??

Hmm, some good deals on Shadowrun, Fallout New Vegas, Alan Wake, Surgeon Simulator, basically it would be an awesome day if I didn't already own all this stuff! :pac:

I really, really must get around to playing Alan Wake, it's gone beyond a joke at this point :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought Nidhogg so if anyone wants a game give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Shovel Knight you are mine!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,880 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Shovel Knight you are mine!!

Brilliant game

I absolutely adore it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

tempted by nidhogg and the long dark...

COH2 is worth it if you're thinking about it. This has to be a first, i have bought nothing, NOTHING in the sales so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

COH2 is worth it if you're thinking about it. This has to be a first, i have bought nothing, NOTHING in the sales so far this year

Are you referring to to Ardennes Assault or the Original?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gwan and buy 7 days to die and play with me :pac:

Are you referring to to Ardennes Assault or the Original?

the original
    Gwan and buy 7 days to die and play with me :pac:

Already have and disliked it - it's very alpha, especially with co-oping, i might go back to it when they've fixed it up a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Which version of Shadowrun Returns should I get? Bear in mind I'm pretty cost conscious!

ionapaul wrote: »
    Which version of Shadowrun Returns should I get? Bear in mind I'm pretty cost conscious!

Well Dragonfall is like the sequel, which started life as a DLC for Shadowrun Returns. You previously had to have Shadowrun Returns in order to play Dragonfall, but it's become a standalone game now. You could always just get the first now and see if Dragonfall will be cheaper in another sale

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

sweetie wrote: »
    tempted by nidhogg and the long dark...

The Long Dark is a good, pure survival game. The game looks simple, but beautiful, almost cel shaded like. No real horror so to say but the game does throw you a few scary curveballs and being chased by wolves does get you nervous. The object of the game is simply to stay alive, eat, drink, sleep and keep doing so for as long as you can. There is a campaign mode but they do have a sandbox mode.
    ionapaul wrote: »

I have both, but only played Shadowrun Returns. The consensus online is that Dragonfall is the better game, contains more action sequences, more weapons and overall isn't as text heavy as Returns.

But as Links said, it was originally an addon to Returns so if you want to periodically go through the series, then Returns might be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

max payne 3 , Thought?

Advertisement