Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Pictures Hack

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

buried wrote: »
    So the whole world knows a racist is one of the leading international head's of Sony, and this same corporation allows her to keep her job? You don't find that a bit odd? Are you serious?

It just damages her, it didn't warrant firing. But if you want to believe that Sony fabricated hundreds of terabytes of damaging information raster than that they were hacked, when the explanation for your story is that they wanted to promote a movie (and utterly humiliate the company and drag the entire United states home security department and presidency into it to do so), while the other story is explained by a famously unhinged country persuing anyone considered to disrespect their regime, especially in the way this movie does...well then there's no real discussion is there? But no, no, you have the reasonable explanation, of course...everyone else is just being a sheep.

Yes I will, because no actual evidence has been shown. And until I'm actually shown some I'm within my own right to question it. Provide me some actual evidence and I'll look at it, not some blame game.

And until any evidence is provided, you'll just cling to by far the least likely explanation. Well aren't you the sceptic?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

And until any evidence is provided, you'll just cling to by far the least likely explanation. Well aren't you the sceptic?

Yeah, just like you, except, you will just believe whatever you are told, which is totally fair enough too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Anyone who thinks that this whole situation was fabricated so as to promote the Interview is an idiot. You do not go from 3000 theaters showing your film to 300 and call that a win of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It was clearly orchestrated by Sony in cahoots with Google as a way of forcing the industry into the dual theatrical/VOD model with minimal friction from the the theatre owners.

I have no evidence to back up this ludicrous statement but I'm definitely right because any obvious explanation is total BS!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it was also Sony that brought down the twin towers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The film is a good laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't have to prove sh!t actually, I don't see any authority coming forward with actual evidence from Sony or the United States to prove this whole "cyber terrorist hacking scandal" came from anywhere but yet the majority of the world just accepts this "hack" came from North Korea because they say so. Where is that actual evidence? Until I see it, I'm going to question it.

Actually, I don't myself believe the hack came from North Korea, at least not directly and if anything the origin is broadly immaterial, but I don't extend my suspicions to assume the terabytes of private information were part of some vaguely defined conspiracy - to achieve what must be the most prosaic, unimaginative of results - all in the name of paranoia because it involves a big scary corporation who are automatically the bad guys because, uhm, reasons?

Frankly, I think this whole debacle is better served by simply invoking Hanlon's razor:
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Stupid people in Sony IT got found out by hackers, revealing very stupid people in executive level positions got too comfortable with their internal mail. Christ, I've worked at companies with 1000+ employees and usually most HR/IT departments are in a near state of constant panic over internal data being leaked. Multiply that paranoia by a factor of 50, remove a checks for competency and you have the Sony position.

I could claim Enda Kenny is a lizardman from Mars, despite all the evidence to the contrary, thus the burden of proof is on me to prove otherwise. An IMDB rating and some hot-topic curiosity on the internet isn't evidence, certainly not when taking into account the fact the movie has been effectively buried by every cinema chain in America.

Anyone who thinks that this whole situation was fabricated so as to promote the Interview is an idiot. You do not go from 3000 theaters showing your film to 300 and call that a win of any kind.

Honest question to you to expect an honest answer - Would you have even bothered even noticing "The Interview" if it wasn't for this ridiculous hyped up story?

Honest question to you to expect an honest answer - Would you have even bothered even noticing "The Interview" if it wasn't for this ridiculous hyped up story?

Obviously it's a bigger story now, that's not the issue. It's manifestly a smaller movie now than before though, they'll make significantly less money than projected. The idea that it was a publicity stunt DOESN'T MAKE A LICK OF SENSE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

And it's not as if it's a movie made by first time film makers with no existing fan base to tap into.

The Interview was one of my most anticipated movies of the year based on my fondness for Rogen/Franco and how highly I rated their last attempt, This Is The End.

As it turns out, it was a bit of a let down but the argument that this was a movie that had no prebuilt audience and Sony needed to fabricate a worldwide scandal to sell a few extra tickets is just flat out wrong.

You assume that I'm interested in seeing it now? the Interview is not a film that I am in any rush to see. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually but I won't be going out of my way to watch it.

If you seriously think that Sony are behind the leak then you have no idea hiw a studio works. The Interview was due to open on over 3000 screens, it was sure to make hundreds of millions of dollars and now it opened on 300 screens and on VOD where it will make mobey but there's a real chance it won't turn a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm a bit late to the viewing party! I've just watched this and it's a bit ridic. Such a crazy publicity stunt to sell this crap....

I understand why DPRK would go crazy about this now.... (I wonder if they have managed to get it over there...somehow!) Imagine if someone made a big film about killing the queen or Obama and the downfall of the government....the world would go APESH*T

Seth never managed to take the ricin off his hand in the end....who did he kill.....NO ONE! :confused:

I really hate Rogan and Franco together....so annoying.

You assume that I'm interested in seeing it now? the Interview is not a film that I am in any rush to see. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually but I won't be going out of my way to watch it.

If you seriously think that Sony are behind the leak then you have no idea hiw a studio works. The Interview was due to open on over 3000 screens, it was sure to make hundreds of millions of dollars and now it opened on 300 screens and on VOD where it will make mobey but there's a real chance it won't turn a profit.

Well, who is behind it then? This hack is being blamed by our media, Sony and the FBI on North Korea, but where is the evidence? A bunch of international spotty teenagers have been identified as being the culprits for hacking and disrupting microsoft and sony online gaming consoles but at the same time nobody can be identified as the culprit/culprits for hacking sony pictures? Especially when the FBI claims the hacker's reside in a third world, dictatorial regime state with less than 1000 IP addresses?
    I just cannot see the logic in the likes of North Korea proclaiming terrorist threats using internet hacking towards the United States because a studio made a film that shows their leader being murdered/killed. Didn't the 'South Park' movie from 14 years ago show the North Korean dictator being killed/murdered for comical effect? Where was the supposed outrage from state-sponsored North Korean "terrorists" back then? Nowhere, because this supposed outrage doesn't exist. What does exist is a Hollywood corporation pathetically trying to get their useless material and client promoted, which it has done.

Well, who is behind it then? This hack is being blamed by our media, Sony and the FBI on North Korea, but where is the evidence? A bunch of international spotty teenagers have been identified as being the culprits for hacking and disrupting microsoft and sony online gaming consoles but at the same time nobody can be identified as the culprit/culprits for hacking sony pictures? Especially when the FBI claims the hacker's reside in a third world, dictatorial regime state with less than 1000 IP addresses?
    I just cannot see the logic in the likes of North Korea proclaiming terrorist threats using internet hacking towards the United States because a studio made a film that shows their leader being murdered/killed. Didn't the 'South Park' movie from 14 years ago show the North Korean dictator being killed/murdered for comical effect? Where was the supposed outrage from state-sponsored North Korean "terrorists" back then? Nowhere, because this supposed outrage doesn't exist. What does exist is a Hollywood corporation pathetically trying to get their useless material and client promoted, which it has done.
    So, for the god-knows-how-many-eth time, how does reducing the release from 3000 to 300 theatres benefit the studio? I mean, you've ignored this question enough that I presume you don't intend answering it, so I'm not sure why I'm still asking, but anyway...

So, for the god-knows-how-many-eth time, how does reducing the release from 3000 to 300 theatres benefit the studio? I mean, you've ignored this question enough that I presume you don't intend answering it, so I'm not sure why I'm still asking, but anyway...

Because, I believe it is promoting, on a world-wide scale, Seth Rogen and his future 'Sony Pictures' films. Which it has done, spectacularly.
    Now, if you can show me some actual evidence where North Korea and its $hitty infrastructure is to blame I'd like to see it

Because, I believe it is promoting, on a world-wide scale, Seth Rogen and his future 'Sony Pictures' films. Which it has done, spectacularly.
    Now, if you can show me some actual evidence where North Korea and its $hitty infrastructure is to blame I'd like to see it

But...you haven't shown any evidence for your bizarre theory at all. This will somehow promote Seth Rogen? That would justify this massive release of incredibly sensitive information as a publicity stunt? I mean, I don't think you're unhinged, I'm pretty sure you latched onto a conspiracy theory and now you're just too stubborn to give up on it. You can't honestly think that your theory is a likely one just because one other (far more likely) explanation might not be true? There are loads of likely explanations. You believe the stupidest one, by far.

EDIT: Just checked your posting history. Call this playing the man and not the ball, but I consider this conversation over.

But...you haven't shown any evidence for your bizarre theory at all. This will somehow promote Seth Rogen? That would justify this massive release of incredibly sensitive information as a publicity stunt? I mean, I don't think you're unhinged, I'm pretty sure you latched onto a conspiracy theory and now you're just too stubborn to give up on it. You can't honestly think that your theory is a likely one just because one other (far more likely) explanation might not be true? There are loads of likely explanations. You believe the stupidest one, by far.

EDIT: Just checked your posting history. Call this playing the man and not the ball, but I consider this conversation over.

Believe what you want Realt Dearg. Like youself, until I can see some actual evidence and actual proof that the third world, deprived nation of North Korea was responsible for the first ever capitulation of the United States towards some ridiculous 'cyber-terrorism' demands, I'm going to deduce and question to whatever I like, until I am shown otherwise that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

likely a former Sony employee of ten years called 'Lena' http://www.cbsnews.com/news/did-the-fbi-get-it-wrong-on-north-korea/

although im always scetical of this security companies who may be just trying to make a name for themselves, but the theory fits the first actions of the hackers

More skepticism arises on source of Sony cyberhack http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-skepticism-arises-on-source-of-sony-cyberhack/ politico reports multiple security experts doubt NK hacking http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/fbi-briefed-on-alternate-sony-hack-theory-113866.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Interesting developments, though given the nature of American news it's equally possible the Ex-employee angle is also horse manure; it'd be pretty embarrassing if the FBI jumped the gun; either way I doubt an ex-employee'll do much to persuade those who believe the whole thing was a cunning, meticulous hoax to promote a single film :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Lol, so Sony released terrabytes of internal communications racially abusing the president of the US, insulting loads of their major stars, making their CEO look like a racist, millions upon millions in scripts and screenplays including the new Bond, God knows how many future ideas that are probably being picked over and rushed to production by rivals, all this and much more just to promote Seth Rogen? You cant actually be that thick can you?

By the way,it doesn't matter if North Korea are still struggling with Windows 95, their government is rich, a couple of million to any hacker group will get you what happened to Sony if the target is sloppy with their IT. Also it probably wasnt even North Korea if you listen to people who know about these things.

likely a former female employee of ten years called Lena http://www.cbsnews.com/news/did-the-fbi-get-it-wrong-on-north-korea/

although im always scetical of this security companies who may be just trying to make a name for themselves, but the theory fits the first actions of the hackers

More skepticism arises on source of Sony cyberhack http://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-skepticism-arises-on-source-of-sony-cyberhack/

lol surprise surprise. Who'll get the blame next week? ISIS? Spectre? Although, in fairness this story is more convincing than the bogus claims made by the FBI last week. An actual former employee with detailed knowledge of Sony's huge data system could be the culprit, makes sense it was someone with that knowledge

Thargor wrote: »
    Lol, so Sony released terrabytes of internal communications racially abusing the president of the US, insulting loads of their major stars, making their CEO look like a racist, millions upon millions in scripts and screenplays including the new Bond, God knows how many future ideas that are probably being picked over and rushed to production by rivals, all this and much more just to promote Seth Rogen? You cant actually be that thick can you?

By the way,it doesn't matter if North Korea are still struggling with Windows 95, their government is rich, a couple of million to any hacker group will get you what happened to Sony if the target is sloppy with their IT. Also it probably wasnt even North Korea if you listen to people who know about these things.

Like who? The FBI? Because they told the world it was definitely North Korea, and the majority of people bought it, but that BS claim doesn't look too good today though does it?

Like who? The FBI? Because they told the world it was definitely North Korea, and the majority of people bought it, but that BS claim doesn't look too good today though does it?
    You're trying to move the goalposts because I think its begun to sink in how ridiculous your claims that it was Sony leaking their own data makes you sound and as someone already pointed out you're just too pigheaded to admit you're wrong.

It doesn't matter if it turns out it was Ant and Dec that did it, your claim is that Sony committed this massive fraud themselves, criminally violating the data protection laws protecting their employees plus all the terrorism stuff that followed, and the only reason you can offer up for this claim is that they did it to promote future unnamed Seth Rogen films. In short you are either a troll or an imbecile and not worth wasting any further time on.

You're trying to move the goalposts because I think its begun to sink in how ridiculous your claims that it was Sony leaking their own data makes you sound and as someone already pointed out you're just too pigheaded to admit you're wrong.

It doesn't matter if it turns out it was Ant and Dec that did it, your claim is that Sony committed this massive fraud themselves, criminally violating the data protection laws protecting their employees plus all the terrorism stuff that followed, and the only reason you can offer up for this claim is that they did it to promote future unnamed Seth Rogen films. In short you are either a troll or an imbecile and not worth wasting any further time on.

Yeah it done Sony some serious damage alright, I threw my PS4 out the window and vowed never use any of their evil nazi products ever again once I heard the shocking revelations of passwords and stupid private messages. And now that I know the mysterious plot for the next Bond film, I wont bother my backside ever watching it, I mean, you never know whats going to happen in a James Bond film do you? But now those imaginary pesky cyber terrorists from North Korea have done gone ruined that too. Yeah 'Sony' is totally ruined after all this, it will never recover :rolleyes:

Nobody is claiming that Sony is ruined, stop with the strawman arguments, you have spent the last few pages arguing this point:
    So, these "terrorist" threats must not have been so scary as everyone thought? lol The irony about this whole stupid story is that while here in the west we rightly complain about a dictatorial regime brainwashing people in North Korea, its totally acceptable for a multi-billion dollar corporation like 'Sony' to do the exact same thing to people here in the west. And that's what this is. A huge marketing ploy by a company that wants to make more dollar money, and now it will. Look at it this way, why would North Korea want this film to be banned? Its perfect for their M.O Its good publicity for them. Its a perfect propaganda piece for this film to exist as it can literally show that the west/US views their country as a joke and that they want to assassinate their own leader. Generate more hatred towards the US. I don't buy any of this noise to be honest and I look forward to peoples reviews of this film as I wager that its going to be utter rubbish, hence the need for this ridiculous hyped up story of total BullSh!t
    You're claiming that some people at Sony are prepared to go to prison over data protection breaches and terrorist threats for the purpose of promoting Seth Rogen, can you honestly not see how moronic this claim is?

You did claim it damaged Sony, you said so right here

I find you are becoming extremely hostile towards me Thargor since this news has now broken that a former employee is now believed to be responsible for this 'cyber hack' and not North Korea, which was my point all along - That it was not North Korea. So calm down and leave the abuse such as 'thick' 'imbecile' and other hostility out of it please. I believe it is a marketing ploy, you don't, fair enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK everyone, please lay off the hostility.

Anybody who uses any more insulting terms, whether they're personalised or generally calling anyone who disagrees names, will receive a warning or infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It was obviously His Omnipotence Kim Jong Little One who after his first basic computing lesson became so versed in hacking that he took down the Western Capitalist Bastardos. Then during a pizza-break he sowed seeds of discord in the before now pleasant meadows of boards.ie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement