Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Pictures Hack

Options
  • 05-12-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭

I dont see a thread for this seriously entertaining car crash in slow motion thats taking place at Sony, theres only been about 40 GB worth of apparently a few terrabytes of information released so far but some of it is gold, heres loads of Sony employees bitching about how bad their films are in particular Adam Sandler:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945463

The whole thing on Buzzfeed is well worth following though and it promises loads more to come:
    It's time to take a moment of silence for Sony Pictures, because more startling revelations about leaked information just came out and employees are starting to panic. BuzzFeed raked through some 40 gigabytes of data and found everything from medical records to unreleased scripts. This is probably the worst corporate hack in history. We already knew that the Sony Pictures hack was bad, but this is just absurd. BuzzFeed's discoveries include documents detailing "employee criminal background checks, salary negotiations, and doctors' letters explaining the medical rationale for leaves of absence." They also include "the script for an unreleased pilot written by Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan to the results of sales meetings with local TV executives." Better call Saul.
    Meanwhile, Fusion's Kevin Roose is reporting on what exactly happened at Sony Pictures when the hack went down. The hack was evidently so extensive that even the company gym had to shut down. And once the hackers started releasing the data, people started "freaking out," one employee said. That saddest part about all of this is that the very worst is probably still to come. Hackers say they stole 100 terabytes of data in total. If only 40 gigabytes contained all of this damning information, just imagine what 100 terabytes contains.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomgara/sony-hack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont see a thread for this seriously entertaining car crash in slow motion thats taking place at Sony, theres only been about 40 GB worth of apparently a few terrabytes of information released so far but some of it is gold, heres loads of Sony employees bitching about how bad their films are in particular Adam Sandler:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=945463

The whole thing on Buzzfeed is well worth following though and it promises loads more to come:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomgara/sony-hack

There's not much love for Adam Sandler at Sony! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

gas thing for a government spokesperson to say lol:
    When asked by the BBC on Tuesday if their country was responsible for the Sony Pictures hack, a North Korean government spokesperson replied, “Wait and see.”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I love these Powerpoint slides they made for various films, they're straight out of The Onion:

ffw5n0rryliwcq7kzqqr.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Always wanted to see the mastermind work that goes into developing movies like grown ups...no surprise seeing those little PowerPoint's. It really must be a room filled with a panel of complete kunts working on movies nowadays

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

None of this kind of soulless research comes as any great surprise; when you watch stuff like the 'new' Spider Man movies it's blatantly clear they were a passionless, cynical product from the ground up. Now we have the proof

Spare a thought though for (what was likely to be) the poor feckers who had to make all those PowerPoints. You can guarantee it was some intern or low-level worker who had to slave away on the things, constantly revising the minutiae at the behest of some buzzword-slinging marketing wonk.

I wonder what the fallout with all this might be? I imagine the other big studios will be doing some pretty major IT audits as we speak, with Sony presumably now in damage limitation mode...

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    None of this kind of soulless research comes as any great surprise; when you watch stuff like the 'new' Spider Man movies it's blatantly clear they were a passionless, cynical product from the ground up. Now we have the proof

Spare a thought though for (what was likely to be) the poor feckers who had to make all those PowerPoints. You can guarantee it was some intern or low-level worker who had to slave away on the things, constantly revising the minutiae at the behest of some buzzword-slinging marketing wonk.

I wonder what the fallout with all this might be? I imagine the other big studios will be doing some pretty major IT audits as we speak, with Sony presumably now in damage limitation mode...

Sony are already having financial troubles so I'd say this will all just make it even worse. Only a fraction of the hacked material has been leaked so far, next few weeks should be entertaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They're all hacks at Sony Pictures, wha? wha? :pac:

10 further developments, all pretty interesting:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-hack-10-new-developments-757219?Facebook_20141212
    4. George Clooney is eager to take on Rupert Murdoch.

Clooney's reported leaked email shows the actor is ready to direct Hack Attack, based on journalist Nick Davies’ book about the UK phone-hacking scandal at Murdoch’s tabloid empire. "[H]ow much fun are we gonna have…the stakes are higher than citizen kane…if we tell the truth in a compelling way…rupert won’t get time/warner…cnn won’t be fox….i’m so excited to do this film..and for those of you listening in…i’m the son of a news man…everything will be double sourced..so come on with your lawsuits…****ers...,’ the email from Clooney read, according to The Daily Beast.
    Good man Clooney, hope this happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

[The hack was evidently so extensive that even the company gym had to shut down.

Why woulð you close down a gym after a hack? :confused:

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Why woulð you close down a gym after a hack? :confused:

to stop the execs shower shenanigans getting out I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

This is far more entertaining than most of the films they've releases recently. Some of the internal email comments regarding The Interview would seem to be funnier than the film itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I see Aaron Sorkin is in trouble now over a leaked e-mail claiming women have less difficult roles. TBF to him I think all he was saying was that there's a major lack of quality scripts available with excellent female roles.

Then again, I've watched The Newsroom and going by how he writes women to be all melodramatic and high maintenance, maybe he is a bit of a dinosaur. I also don't think he helps with his comment about Jennifer Lawrence merely doing a "professional" job in Silver Linings Playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Then again, I've watched The Newsroom and going by how he writes women to be all melodramatic and high maintenance, maybe he is a bit of a dinosaur. I also don't think he helps with his comment about Jennifer Lawrence merely doing a "professional" job in Silver Linings Playbook.

Not sure about that what about CJ Craig and other WW female characters like Abi Bartlet etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,549 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nice to see Sony get a bit of payback after their heavy handed treatment of the PS3 jailbreak guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Nice to see Sony get a bit of payback after their heavy handed treatment of the PS3 jailbreak guys.

I missed that, what happened to the PS3 jailbreak guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I thought this deserved it's own thread.

Hack reveals 20 movies Sony will release from now through 2017

Looks like some interesting future releases :D:D:D

From https://bgr.com/2014/12/16/sony-hack-2016-and-2017-movie-titles/

Sony has recently been the target of one of the most important hacks in history, at least considering the amount of data that was stolen in the heist. And now, of course, that data is all slowly being published online. The hackers who hit Sony have already leaked a list of unreleased Sony movies, making them available for download, and several other data dumps containing personal details for Sony employees and various celebrities, email exchanges between top Sony execs, and even plans for the future.

FROM EARLIER: Sony hackers may have stolen the newest James Bond script

In addition to scripts for some upcoming projects, including the upcoming James Bond movie, hackers have also found more details about 2016 and 2017 movies, with Business Insider listing some of them, as found in the leaked inbox of Sony Pictures cochair Amy Pascal.

The company plans several interesting titles for the following years, including Uncharted, Ghostbusters, Angry Birds — the full list follows below, as listed by the publication:

Uncharted [The popular Naughty Dog video game adaptation.]
    Sinister [most likely referring to “Spider-Man” spin-off “Sinister Six”]
    Ghostbusters (or 2017)
    Angry Birds [set for July 1 release]
    Mib/jump street (2017) [crossover movie between “Men in Black” and “Jump Street”]
    Greyman [based on Mark Greaney’s novel “The Gray Man”]
    Winters knight
    Fifth wave [adaptation of Rick Yancey book “The 5th Wave”]
    Inferno [adaptation of Dan Brown’s most recent book in “The Da Vinci Code” series]
    Billy Lynn [adaption of Ben Fountain’s novel “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk”]
    Baby driver [movie Edgar Wright is working on]
    Little woman [remake]

Cleopatra [potential Angelina Jolie movie]
    SPIDERMAN [not clear whether this is a spin-off or new movie all together]
    DJANGO zorro
    Bond
    Ghostbusters
    Jump street
    Monkeys [unclear what this is]
    Girl team up [unclear what this is]

A different email has also revealed additional titles that might be planned for next years, including the second part of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, Grown Ups 3, sequels to Hotel Transylvania, Angelina Jolie’s Salt movie and Denzel Washington’s The Equalizer, and a third Smurfs movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'd love to jump in and say an MIB/Jump Street movie would be disastrous but I'm actually insanely curious to see it :p probably a misrepresentation of what it actually means though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remakes, sequels, adaptations, crossovers - sadly, 'interesting' is not the word I'd necessarily use to describe that potential line-up :(

Liam O wrote: »
    I'd love to jump in and say an MIB/Jump Street movie would be disastrous but I'm actually insanely curious to see it :p probably a misrepresentation of what it actually means though.

Nah they actually have talked about doing that crossover and I think both Jonah hill and Channing Tatum thought it'd be good. I think it could be fun as long as it's kept to being as explicit as the jump street movies have been and not reduced to being some PG 12s piece of sh!t. Men in black is a wacky comedy and so is jump street so they could be blended together well, especially if the writers make it totally self aware like they did in 22 jump street

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This whole event has taken a much more farcical, but somewhat sinister turn: the same hacking group that leaked the Sony details also used pretty violence rhetoric against any cinema that screened The Interview, the Seth Rogen/James Franco comedy about assassinating Kim Jong Un. Whether the threats are valid or not, the top American cinema chains all folded in a flash, deciding not to run the film.

http://www.avclub.com/article/major-theater-chains-drop-interview-following-terr-213141

Ordinarily, the prospect of a Seth Rogan comedy being pulled from cinemas wouldn't make me bat an eyebrow, but this all seems like a situation spiralling out of control / credulity

• Advertisement

The feds will have their asses for this, bet we see arrests in 2015, unless it is North Korea doing it, which it must be because honestly who would go to this much trouble over a Seth Rogan film?

Well, I guess that debunks the few people who thought this was all possibly some grand marketing scheme by Sony for the movie lol

The feds will have their asses for this, bet we see arrests in 2015, unless it is North Korea doing it, which it must be because honestly who would go to this much trouble over a Seth Rogan film?

It seems it's all still speculation and conjecture that North Korea are actually involved; I'd wonder if it's more likely to be a set of Anonymous wannabes, maybe paid by North Korean third-parties, who knows. Seems like a pretty baffling scenario either way and I'm genuinely surprised how quickly and unified the cinema chains' response was - I wonder if they received guidance from the FBI to treat the threat as serious?

Release of The Interview has been completely scrapped now:

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-scraps-the-interview-1201328639/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

How long now until another movie offends a different bunch of nut jobs? Sony's capitulation has set a very dangerous precedent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If legitimate threats of violence have been made then Sony would be stupid to go ahead with the release.

Well the trailer for it looked rubbish and I felt the movie's premise was in poor taste. The world has enough problems without aggravating an already unstable despot. Kim Jong Un doesn't look the type to take a joke to be honest! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Release of The Interview has been completely scrapped now:

http://deadline.com/2014/12/sony-scraps-the-interview-1201328639/

That's really disappointing, I was really looking forward to it after all the hype.

Goldstein wrote: »
    How long now until another movie offends a different bunch of nut jobs? Sony's capitulation has set a very dangerous precedent.
    If legitimate threats of violence have been made then Sony would be stupid to go ahead with the release.
    Of course it could also mean the hackers found an absolute gold nugget in that 40 TB of data and blackmailed Sony with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Plot of the film really was in awful taste. Pulling the release should not set too much of a precedence as I (thankfully) can't see too many more films depicting the assassination of a sitting world leader being made anytime soon.

If Sony really wants the last laugh they should just formally release the film online for free and try to make sure even more people watch it than would have if was just released without all this messing around. Sure they will miss out on the revenue but sometimes you just have to take the hit (plus it doesn't look like it would have been a massive box office hit anyway)

Advertisement