Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Pictures Hack

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Maybe people should start writing things down on paper and posting them to each other like the old days - you can't hack the US Postal System.

Yeah but Postal workers can open the mail. Couriers you trust are the most secure. But email is whats needed to make quick and fairly secure decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

hfallada wrote: »
    It was far from a publicity stunt. Other Sony films got leaked too= a massive lose in Revenue. The script of the new bond film was leaked. Hundreds of thousands of confidential emails were leaked. With comments that pissed off a lot of people eg sony staff calling angelina jolie over rated. Extremely personal data such as social security numbers.

If you think it was a publicity stunk. Look at what was leaked

Again, I don't think anyone thinks the hacking was a publicity stunt. It's the Korean-hacking-they-insulted-best-Korea that everyone thinks is a publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

They lost far more revenue a month ago with the leak of Fury . I downloaded that and gave up midways as its a boring picture. So did many others - track the revenue in ticket sales on that wannabe blockbuster.
    D'Interview is a straight to DVD piece of rubbish that needs beer goggles to watch. Sony going pirate with a 1080p release is politics and nothing more. Every asshole with an internet connection has seen it. Kim is alive, short and fat.
    It is commonplace to thank the original release group, so kudos to Barack and the Sony crew for the rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

They lost far more revenue a month ago with the leak of Fury . I downloaded that and gave up midways as its a boring picture. So did many others - track the revenue in ticket sales on that wannabe blockbuster.
    D'Interview is a straight to DVD piece of rubbish that needs beer goggles to watch. Sony going pirate with a 1080p release is politics and nothing more. Every asshole with an internet connection has seen it. Kim is alive, short and fat.
    It is commonplace to thank the original release group, so kudos to Barack and the Sony crew for the rip.

Fury had been and gone n theaters long before it leaked online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

hfallada wrote: »
    It was far from a publicity stunt. Other Sony films got leaked too= a massive lose in Revenue. The script of the new bond film was leaked. Hundreds of thousands of confidential emails were leaked. With comments that pissed off a lot of people eg sony staff calling angelina jolie over rated. Extremely personal data such as social security numbers.

If you think it was a publicity stunk. Look at what was leaked

I saw what was leaked. Was there any damage done by the "personal data" being leaked such as these social security numbers? No. A few supposed miffed celebrities, did they loose any millions out if it? Don't think so. And as for scripts and plotlines being leaked, in all fairness, so what? The entire plot for the new Star Wars movie has already been leaked on the internet, do you think that will cause harm to the ticket sales for big action blockbusters such as that or the next Bond film? Of course it wont.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

buried wrote: »
    I saw what was leaked. Was there any damage done by the "personal data" being leaked such as these social security numbers? No. A few supposed miffed celebrities, did they loose any millions out if it? Don't think so. And as for scripts and plotlines being leaked, in all fairness, so what? The entire plot for the new Star Wars movie has already been leaked on the internet, do you think that will cause harm to the ticket sales for big action blockbusters such as that or the next Bond film? Of course it wont.

Do you really think the chairwoman of Sony Studios sanctioned the release of her own emails in which she cracks a few borderline racist jokes with another executive just to promote a crappy comedy?

Do you really think the chairwoman of Sony Studios sanctioned the release of her own emails in which she cracks a few borderline racist jokes with another executive just to promote a crappy comedy?

Did she get the sack for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Did she get the sack for it?

No but why is that relevant? Do you honestly think she sat down with the marketing department and said go ahead and release these emails that could potentially have a detrimental effect on my career, we really need publicity for this film we've already decided to release in the worst slot of the year? You really have to perform some mental gymnastics to think this was an intentional leak.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw what was leaked. Was there any damage done by the "personal data" being leaked such as these social security numbers? No.

Yes.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-sony-class-action-lawsuit-employees-20141215-story.html

It's probably Sony will try and settle outside of court, but I can imagine there'll be further ramifications that'll happen internally within Sony and outside of media reporting. God knows what's happen within the various unions linked with Sony's departments...

In all likelihood, yes, Sony probably did their best to minimise disruption and try to spin the situation to their advantage, but to suggest the whole thing is some PR windup is making some pretty imaginative leaps, the sort of fanciful conspiratorial thinking you'd sooner see in an actual Hollywood film.

So people suddenly want to see The Interview isn't anything to do with marketing, it's just normal human curiosity. Here's a thing a bunch of hackers didn't want us to see. Of course we want to see it.

No but why is that relevant? Do you honestly think she sat down with the marketing department and said go ahead and release these emails that could potentially have a detrimental effect on my career, we really need publicity for this film we've already decided to release in the worst slot of the year? You really have to perform some mental gymnastics to think this was an intentional leak.

Well, you made it relevant by stating it has done some damage to her career, but where is it? What is the actual damage for her? Or her company? None.
    The only damage these companies have done is by investing huge amounts of money and signing contracts years ago into the likes of Seth Rogen and his absolute rubbish material such as 'Bad Neighbours' which did very poorly, because it was total rubbish. Hence, the likes of 'Sony' and Hollywood cant afford the gamble anymore and really can't make anything better, hence the need for this pure hyped up publicity stunt for this, and future rubbish Seth Rogen 'comedies'.
    Go on IMDB right now and look at this things rating - 9.7. - the highest ranked film on the site lol, now that's 'mental gymnastics'

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yes.
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-sony-class-action-lawsuit-employees-20141215-story.html

It's probably Sony will try and settle outside of court, but I can imagine there'll be further ramifications that'll happen internally within Sony and outside of media reporting. God knows what's happen within the various unions linked with Sony's departments...

In all likelihood, yes, Sony probably did their best to minimise disruption and try to spin the situation to their advantage, but to suggest the whole thing is some PR windup is making some pretty imaginative leaps, the sort of fanciful conspiratorial thinking you'd sooner see in an actual Hollywood film.

So people suddenly want to see The Interview isn't anything to do with marketing, it's just normal human curiosity. Here's a thing a bunch of hackers didn't want us to see. Of course we want to see it.

Fair enough :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What is the actual damage for her?

Are you serious? The whole world now knows her as a racist! People have real lives, reputations, real health records and real sense of privacy, they aren't just people who do jobs. The notion this is a publicity stunt is just moronic. If you can't see that, well, that didn't mean it's wrong...it means you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The only damage these companies have done is by investing huge amounts of money and signing contracts years ago into the likes of Seth Rogen and his absolute rubbish material such as 'Bad Neighbours' which did very poorly, because it was total rubbish.
    Budget: $18 million.
    Box Office: $268 million.

"Poorly"?

Are you serious? The whole world now knows her as a racist! People have real lives, reputations, real health records and real sense of privacy, they aren't just people who do jobs. The notion this is a publicity stunt is just moronic. If you can't see that, well, that didn't mean it's wrong...it means you are.

So the whole world knows a racist is one of the leading international head's of Sony, and this same corporation allows her to keep her job? You don't find that a bit odd? Are you serious?

"Poorly"?

Yeah. Poorly. It was total rubbish, did you see it? What did you think? I went to the cinema and paid 20 quid for the sh!tty experience, and vowed I'd never watch any of these Seth Rogen films again. I know full well I wasn't alone in this thinking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

"Poorly"?

Very poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The interview is doing really well for itself, the highest rated movie ever on IMDB with a rating of 9.9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

GarIT wrote: »
    The interview is doing really well for itself, the highest rated movie ever on IMDB with a rating of 9.9/10

I thought it was a mighty film meself, had a few good laughs. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

Adam Sandler is crap

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair enough :rolleyes:

Even boo-hiss corporations like Sony have HR departments ya know, I don't know about you, but my company's HR dept. doesn't tend to pass on its internal processes to the media, just to satisfy conspiracy theorists' lust for mystery and underhanded marketing shenanigans. All things being likely there's probably a sh*tstorm between departments right and Sony's likely to be a very crappy place to work at right now.

The burden of proof points to a major hacking of Sony, with a particular movie a sideshow to the real outcome in all this. If you want to believe there's more to it than that, despite common sense pointing away from some executive-level conspiracy for the sake of one middle-tier film, that's your prerogative, but the burden of proof is on you to prove it really.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Even boo-hiss corporations like Sony have HR departments ya know, I don't know about you, but my company's HR dept. doesn't tend to pass on its internal processes to the media, just to satisfy conspiracy theorists' lust for mystery and underhanded marketing shenanigans. All things being likely there's probably a sh*tstorm between departments right and Sony's likely to be a very crappy place to work at right now.

The burden of proof points to a major hacking of Sony, with a particular movie a sideshow to the real outcome in all this. If you want to believe there's more to it than that, despite common sense pointing away from some executive-level conspiracy for the sake of one middle-tier film, that's your prerogative, but the burden of proof is on you to prove it really.

I don't have to prove sh!t actually, I don't see any authority coming forward with actual evidence from Sony or the United States to prove this whole "cyber terrorist hacking scandal" came from anywhere but yet the majority of the world just accepts this "hack" came from North Korea because they say so. Where is that actual evidence? Until I see it, I'm going to question it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just watched the interview there and its a extremely funny film i near wet myself at some parts of it as i am a huge fan of Seth Rogen in the 1st place as you might give out about him but he does make some great funny films. Neighbours and This is the end are also great films. But i would say if your not a fan of Seth Rogen and James Franco don't watch the film as you will hate it.

Like there is parts in witch when you see it you will clearly understand why NK will be pissed off about the film as it really takes the piss of everything NK but it also shows us to fell sorry for the poor people of NK when he is in charge fair play to them.

To me this is up there in my view with The grand budapest hotel as the funniest films i have seen in the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Throughly enjoyed that. Not Rogens best work but was pretty damn funny. People getting way too precious over this.

Reading people thinking this was all a marketing ploy. Some people need their head examined...seriously. This was anything but...US departments were brought in to launch a criminal investigation and pinpointed the origin. Have to laugh at the tinfoil hat brigade.

I'm sure this film will get a bad rap from many...but like all films and especially comedies it's down to opinion and your interests. If you like Rogens other work you'll enjoy this, if you never cracked a smile at his stuff then best avoid it :)

TheDoc wrote: »
    Throughly enjoyed that. Not Rogens best work but was pretty damn funny. People getting way too precious over this.

Reading people thinking this was all a marketing ploy. Some people need their head examined...seriously. This was anything but...US departments were brought in to launch a criminal investigation and pinpointed the origin. Have to laugh at the tinfoil hat brigade.

I'm sure this film will get a bad rap from many...but like all films and especially comedies it's down to opinion and your interests. If you like Rogens other work you'll enjoy this, if you never cracked a smile at his stuff then best avoid it :)

Yeah, because US departments never, ever, generated lies condemning and blaming countries hostile to the US in order to generate huge profits for the multi-billion dollar corporations that lobby the same US authorities. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't have to prove sh!t actually, I don't see any authority coming forward with actual evidence from Sony or the United States to prove this whole "cyber terrorist hacking scandal" came from anywhere but yet the majority of the world just accepts this "hack" came from North Korea because they say so. Where is that actual evidence? Until I see it, I'm going to question it.

so you'll question that very logical, simply and elegantly explained reasoning for what happened, but your ludicrously unlikely, hilarious theory requires no scrutiny whatsoever because it satisfies...not sure what criteria exactly...

so you'll question that very logical, simply and elegantly explained reasoning for what happened, but your ludicrously unlikely, hilarious theory requires no scrutiny whatsoever because it satisfies...not sure what criteria exactly...

Yes I will, because no actual evidence has been shown. And until I'm actually shown some I'm within my own right to question it. Provide me some actual evidence and I'll look at it, not some blame game.

So the whole world knows a racist is one of the leading international head's of Sony, and this same corporation allows her to keep her job? You don't find that a bit odd? Are you serious?

No answer for this question I put to you Realt Dearg?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You dont sack anyone during a period of bad PR, thats the outcome not something to be done during it.

Foolish to think it would happen now.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You dont sack anyone during a period of bad PR, thats the outcome not something to be done during it.

Foolish to think it would happen now.

Exactly. Which was my original point, that there would be no serious repercussion from this being discovered anyways, some here felt that there would.
    Why no repercussion? Because its total BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Just watched the interview there, and not like its a big deal or anything but
    Seth Rogan clearly has all his fingers back at the end of the movie

Just saying...

Advertisement