Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 181. Hendricks Vs Lawler / Pettis Vs Melendez

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

2ndcoming wrote: »
    GSP was a bloody mess at the end of that fight and the fact he was still able to stand at the end was the only reason he somehow held on to the belt. He got a hiding and he hasn't been seen since and probably won't be so I'll let you decide whether that constitutes being retired.

In my opinion and many others he did dominate that fight and 23 minutes of this one. He did what champions have done in fighting since time began, he did what he felt was enough to win and after that he prevented the challenger from doing enough to take his belt. Champions shouldn't lose their belt based on popularity or because people dislike their tactics, they need to be beaten and soundly. Just ask GSP.

You are severely misinformed. In any case, this is a relevant YouTube comment; far from a robbery:

Round 1 -
    St-Pierre- 19 Significant Strikes, 1 Takedown, 1 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 18 Significant Strikes, 1 Takedown, 0 submission attempts
    note- close round, no one was hurt, could go either way, based of stats St-Pierre wins the round.
    Round 2-
    St-Pierre- 28 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 30 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- Hendricks wobbles St- Pierre but doesn't do enough to get a 10-8 round.
    Round 3-
    St-Pierre- 31 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 15 Significant Strikes, 1 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- St-Pierre clearly out strikes Hendricks, Hendricks does nothing with his takedown.
    Round 4-
    St-Pierre- 14 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 18 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- stand up was close, St-Pierre falls from being off balance, Hendricks works from the top.
    Round 5-
    St-Pierre- 9 Significant Strikes, 2 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 5 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- Stand up is close, St-Pierre takes Hendricks down twice and controls him.
    Final stats-
    St-Pierre- 101 Significant Strikes, 3 Takedowns, 1 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 85 Significant Strikes, 2 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    notes- St-Pierre's face is busted up but it is after every fight he wins 50-45
    final score 48-47 St-Pierre
    This fight wasn't a robbery! both fighters clearly won 2 rounds each and round 1 was so close.
    Anyone heard the saying "You have to take the belt from the champion"? Hendricks didn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gumbi wrote: »
    You also have to differentiate between 10-9 and 10-8 rounds.
    None of the rounds deserved a 10-8.
    None were scored that way either.

I agree with the previous post.
    Rounds 2,3 and 5 are very clear rounds. I thankfully haven't seen anybody dispute these rounds.
    Round 1 was close, but most feel Lawlir opening aggression won the round.

FWIW, the stats back up those scores completely. Stats aren't the whole story, but they are far from irrelevant.

The entire fight, the controversy, the championship, all comes down to round 4. Any title fight that comes down to a single round is close. When that round is like round 4. It's very close.
    Hendricks should probably have won, but there's was nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Round 1- Close but I gave it to Lawler. Lawler did more damage plain and simple.

Round 2- Hendricks clearly.

Round 3- Hendricks clearly.

Round 4- This is the one that's hard. Hendricks won most of the round, but went for this daft halfass takedown where his head ended up between Robbies legs. He was just eating shots at the end. Robbie finished the round better, I gave it to Hendricks but I can see why judges would give it to Lawler.

Round 5- Lawler clearly.

So while I think Hendricks won, I have never been more happy to hear a split decision go the wrong way. Hendricks tactics in the last two rounds cost him the fight. He was beating Lawler on the feet in rounds 2 and 3, if he kept it standing there's a good chance he would have won. I wonder if his corner is to blame for this. I didn't hear what they were saying between rounds, but I recall them telling him that he had pretty much won the GSP fight when he was going into the 5th round.

Pretty sure they told Hendricks he had to win the 5th to win the fight, he probably didn't really believe he had too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭rocally

Watched it again last night and still think the decision was right - I gave Robbie 1, 4 & 5 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Gumbi wrote: »
    You are severely misinformed. In any case, this is a relevant YouTube comment; far from a robbery:

Round 1 -
    St-Pierre- 19 Significant Strikes, 1 Takedown, 1 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 18 Significant Strikes, 1 Takedown, 0 submission attempts
    note- close round, no one was hurt, could go either way, based of stats St-Pierre wins the round.
    Round 2-
    St-Pierre- 28 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 30 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- Hendricks wobbles St- Pierre but doesn't do enough to get a 10-8 round.
    Round 3-
    St-Pierre- 31 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 15 Significant Strikes, 1 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- St-Pierre clearly out strikes Hendricks, Hendricks does nothing with his takedown.
    Round 4-
    St-Pierre- 14 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 18 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- stand up was close, St-Pierre falls from being off balance, Hendricks works from the top.
    Round 5-
    St-Pierre- 9 Significant Strikes, 2 Takedowns, 0 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 5 Significant Strikes, 0 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    note- Stand up is close, St-Pierre takes Hendricks down twice and controls him.
    Final stats-
    St-Pierre- 101 Significant Strikes, 3 Takedowns, 1 Submission attempt
    Hendricks- 85 Significant Strikes, 2 Takedowns, 0 submission attempts
    notes- St-Pierre's face is busted up but it is after every fight he wins 50-45
    final score 48-47 St-Pierre
    This fight wasn't a robbery! both fighters clearly won 2 rounds each and round 1 was so close.
    Anyone heard the saying "You have to take the belt from the champion"? Hendricks didn't do that.

These stats completely leave out the fact that Hendricks was completely controlling GSP in the clinch in that first round, and a lot of time was spent in the clinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Davei141 wrote: »
    These stats completely leave out the fact that Hendricks was completely controlling GSP in the clinch in that first round, and a lot of time was spent in the clinch.

I think his point that it was a close decision and not a robbery holds true regardless.

Advertisement