Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 181. Hendricks Vs Lawler / Pettis Vs Melendez

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

scudzilla wrote: »
    I hate all this bollox of when a champion loses he should get an instant rematch, no he shouldn't, it's Rory's turn next, Hendricks should fight someone else and then if he wins he gets a rematch

it's not just because he was the champion, it was, to some people, a debatable decision, that's why he'll probably get a rematch straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

He doesn't deserve a rematch.
    Rory should get it way before him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

scudzilla wrote: »
    I hate all this bollox of when a champion loses he should get an instant rematch, no he shouldn't, it's Rory's turn next, Hendricks should fight someone else and then if he wins he gets a rematch

Grand just quote half my post and leave out the part about Rory. The only reason he should get a rematch imo is because Lawler didnt clearly win the fight, and whenever theres doubts like that is fairly reasonable to expect a rematch. Either way I dont see it happening because Hendricks isnt complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Rory gets the next shot, beats Lawler and GSP returns. Turn the UFC into a soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I don't need to see lawler v hendricks again just now. It can do for a while.

I wouldn't count on rory winning the belt either. Lawler beat him before and both have improved, interested to see how this goes 5rds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I thought it was a dodgy decision. Lawler had flurries but Hendricks controlled most of it, whether he was boring and defensive or whatever I thought he won. I don't want to see an immediate trilogy, Lawler vs Rory and I fancy Rory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

I fancy Rory.

ghey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I also think he'd win the fight. No bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,190 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Davei141 wrote: »
    Apologies. After watching that round again it is easy to use stats to skew how a round went, Hendricks won that round with the better strikes IMO and Lawler would have got his stats up with a lot of strikes at the very end when Hendricks was going for the TD, Hendricks Won 4+ minutes of that round..
    I'm not using the stats to skew anything. I scored rd4 for Johnny. I also think Johny did more in that round. I'm just pointing out the stat, as it's relevant information.

I think it goes without saying that Lawlor's volume mostly came at the end. All strikes aren't equal, but it's also hard to make a case for anyone dominating a rd when they are out struck like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭threeball

Terrible decision. Lawler was on fire at the beginning of the first and end of the last, apart from that Hendricks schooled him. I lost track of how many times he caught him with the left, right low kick combination but it was at least 15 probably closer to 20 times. Yes Hendricks offensive wrestilng was shocking but he still got takedowns in every round on top of having way more strikes so I can,t see how the hell the judges came up with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I will post my views on this in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

califano wrote: »
    I will post my views on this in due course.

Thank you oh wise one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not using the stats to skew anything. I scored rd4 for Johnny. I also think Johny did more in that round. I'm just pointing out the stat, as it's relevant information.

I think it goes without saying that Lawlor's volume mostly came at the end. All strikes aren't equal, but it's also hard to make a case for anyone dominating a rd when they are out struck like that.

I've watched round 4 a few times and it wasn't a domination but Hendricks was definitely the better fighter for about 4.30 minutes of that fight. Landed the better strikes, controlled the fight and should have been given the round.

Watching the whole fight it was pretty clear to me that Hendricks was the better fighter, mixed up his striking with good combos and leg kicks while Lawler looked quite poor for the vast majority of the fight. It seems Hendricks actually lost points for getting a takedown too in peoples eyes. I wonder was there anyone on this thread who said they had Lawler winning it before the decision was read out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Davei141 wrote: »
    It seems Hendricks actually lost points for getting a takedown too in peoples eyes.

Problem is he done nothing with them!

Lawler actually outstruck him 26-1 on the ground!.
    Hendricks had no submission attempts, No attempts to pass guard, Literally 1 strike landed.

He was doing it to waste time and imo cost him the fight.
    I'm actually glad he lost... Can't stand time wasting in Championship fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Just watched the fight. I was up for Lawler but waiting for the decision I was coming on here to say how disappointed I was with his performance. Only taking it to Hendricks at the very start and very end and fighting with no urgency cost him his chance. I was gobsmacked when they announced him as champion.

I'm not a Hendricks hater but I didn't like his tactics in this fight once he knew he was ahead (or so he thought) but either way he clearly won this fight imo.

The first fight was so much better, was really looking forward to this but Robbie was very poor and if Hendricks had kept throwing combos or actually used his takedowns to do some damage he wins easily.

Very strange fight.

Disappointed the other title fight didn't last longer but that was a slick sub from Pettis. Can't see anyone troubling him for a long time.

Just read that Lawlor winning yesterday was the first time that the belt has changed hands by split decision. :eek:
    Vest surprised by that, but struggling to think of somebody else who has

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I thought Bendo Frankie, but first was a UD and second was SD. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Thought Hendricks had won it. He looked very impressive in the stand-up, and as he saw Robbie fade he went to control him with his wrestling which apparently is a bad thing now.

I'm not sure how fights are scored, I always thought you gained points for controlling your opponent, and that's why takedowns etc. were so important.

Thought Lawler was very slow after his opening burst, perhaps he injured himself or something. The re-re-match should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Thought Hendricks had won it. He looked very impressive in the stand-up, and as he saw Robbie fade he went to control him with his wrestling which apparently is a bad thing now.

I'm not sure how fights are scored, I always thought you gained points for controlling your opponent, and that's why takedowns etc. were so important.

Thought Lawler was very slow after his opening burst, perhaps he injured himself or something. The re-re-match should be interesting.

Shhh your not allowed talk about that apparently, people dont seem to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ASOT wrote: »
    Shhh your not allowed talk about that apparently, people dont seem to like it.

People are hypocrites. They'll all watch the fight. Same way people will watch CM Punk fight.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He wasn't really completing those final takedowns. Holding a single, but not able to put Lawlor on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This is the fight I was looking forward to most all year. Lawler is a proper old school legend and I was really rooting for him to take the best.

But I had the fight scored for Hendricks. I had him winning rounds 1-4. He won at least 3 of the rounds anyway! Delighted Robbie won the belt, but not at the manner in which he did so! This is the second time Hendricks has been screwed over by dodgy judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Watched the fight again last night and my initial thoughts when watching it live remain the same, Hendricks won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I reckon that even the judges got annoyed with Hendricks' tactics and let it (and the boos) influence their decision making. But 49-46? Just... no.

Controversial as it is, I'm still delighted for Robbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/ufc/11279360/UFC-181-14-things-we-learnt-from-Lawler-Hendricks-judging-and-CM-Punk.html

UFC 181 taught fans of mixed martial arts several things:

1. Sometimes, an MMA fight is not quantifiable by the 10-point must system.

2. The Johny Hendricks and Robbie Lawler fight was very hard to score, and their styles created difficulties separating them at times.

3. The 49-46 score from judge Glenn Trowbridge did not make a lot of sense. For the record, I scored it 48-47 Hendricks, identical to judge Sal D'Amato. I reckon D'Amato is one of the best in the business.

4. Watching it for a second time, with no volume on, Hendricks-Lawler was just as difficult to score. Rounds one and five were clearly Lawler's, round three Hendricks won. But for me, round two went to Hendricks, and possibly round four. You could see round round going either way. Fightmetric had Hendricks up 23-19 in significant strikes in that fourth round.

5. FightMetric, overall in terms of performance under the 10-point must system, scored the bout a draw, 48-48. But on its points scoring system, Hendricks took the fight 487-455.
    6. Referee Herb Dean thought Hendricks had won the fight. He was raising his arm when the third score was being read out.
    7. There will have to be a trilogy Lawler-Hendricks fight.
    8. Robbie Lawler's popularity as a man and as a fighter lessened the outrage and controversy from the fight.
    9. Peculiarly, Hendricks's wrestling may have worked against him in this second encounter with Lawler. He succeeded in five of 17 takedown attempts, but his head-down work on Lawler, against the Octagon wall, was not pretty in the slightest. Lawler got some work done with fists and elbows in that grind. Visually, it may have cost Hendricks the title.
    10. Anthony Pettis is special. Gil Melendez got the grind right in the opening round, but Pettis only needed one opportunity. To be so slick on the ground and have such sublime striking skills means we are watching a new-age Anderson Silva.

11. CM Punk. Is this for real? It feels like a bit of a stunt, but we'll just have to see how good his Kempo and jiu-jitsu are. It is very different from Brock Lesnar joining from the WWE. Let's hope Phil Brooks does not have the same issues from taking heavy strikes to the face.
    12. Travis Browne is still a beast, and will challenge for the UFC heavyweight title at some point. "I toyed with him a little." Gotta love that.
    13. Tony Ferguson has some chin, and will have many great lightweight fights.
    14. Raquel Pennington is going to develop into a brilliant fighter, and it great to see finishes in women's fights.

no.6 :eek: lol just remembering how confused I got watching this the other night, I couldnt understand why Hendricks arm was raised but Lawler was bouncing about going nuts.
    no.10 Pettis the new Silva? :confused: Pettis took some hits in the 1st round you would never have seen Silva take(in his prime :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I take it that's written by Gareth A. D*ckface?

Herb Dean didn't raise anyone's arm. Hendricks was raising his own arm. Surely Dea is experienced enough not to raise someone's arm prematurely.

Also:
    For the record, I scored it 48-47 Hendricks, identical to judge Sal D'Amato. I reckon D'Amato is one of the best in the business.

As in "48-47 was my opinion. Also the opinion of D'Amato. So my opinion is obviously right"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Gareth A. Dickface lol

He's a bit of a bellend alright.

Watched the documentary "Manny" the other night and of course he pops up in the middle of it spouting his usual bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Thought Hendricks won round 2,3 and 4, round 1 was close. I wanted Robbie to win the belt but not by some dodgy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

I figured the fight was scored similarly to the GSP - Hendricks fight in that the rounds that Hendricks won he won well but the other rounds could have gone either way. I wouldn't call it a robbery but I did have for Hendricks myself. Whoever gave 49-46 should be shot. As far as I remember it wasn't even Sal D'amato which is a surprise. Here's someone attempting to break it down round by round:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/12/7/7348327/ufc-181-results-sober-play-by-play-why-the-decision-for-hendricks-vs-lawler-not-robbery

Did anyone see Herb Dean flinch back when he tried to dive in to save Anthony Hamilton from Todd Duffee and Duffee was in the middle of throwing another hydrogen bomb? Wouldn't blame him. That guy is a monster. A match up with Palelei would definitely guarantee someone is going to sleep.

Melendez had the right game plan to get in close but needed to cover up more when he was standing in front of Pettis. He won the first round but took a lot of damage from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If you compare it to the Hendricks - GSP fight if Hendricks had performed as weakly as Lawler did in this fight there would never have been the controversy that ultimately led to Hendricks winning the title when GSP stepped aside - by soundly beating Lawler.

Regardless of whether people want to see the re-rematch he's surely more deserving of one than Lawler was after losing his title shot fair and square. Like him or not this is the man who basically retired the greatest welterweight champion in UFC history, yet he lost that match and this one despite dominating both.

For me there's still a massive streak of WWE booking when it comes to the big draws on the card. UFC wanted their Cinderella story out of Lawler and they weren't gonna take no for an answer.

Advertisement