Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

mun1 wrote: »
    Ordered a ton of premium kosy glo from kosy king €402 delivered to limerick.
    Using coal warehouse ovoids up to now so interested to see if there is any difference

Keep us posted, seems expensive tho I bought a ton of ovoids in August for 330 delivered. I know the extra levy went on but didn't realize it was that much.

How much do CW charge for the same delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TinyTot165

pm. wrote: »

How much do CW charge for the same delivered?

Got a ton of ovoids off coal warehouse last wk, €290 for the ovoids (they knocked a tenner off for repeat business) and €67 delivery to Sligo so €357 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

http://www.quinns.ie/index.php/fuel-flier-20182019/

3 x 40 kg singles and 1 briquettes for 35 works out around 291 for a tone and 8x briquettes. A good deal for such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

mickuhaha wrote: »

3 x 40 kg singles and 1 briquettes for 35 works out around 291 for a tone and 8x briquettes. A good deal for such.

Budget Smokey ?
    I’ve tried budget/cheap coal before and it’s a waste of money, just end up with a load of crap on the grate and feck all gear from them
    Each to their own I guess but in my experience you buy cheap crap you pay double the price in the long run

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

mickuhaha wrote: »

I’ve used those singles on my stove on top of Ovoids to bank it down for the night and they are good.

BUT there is no way I would use them on their own. They are tiny pieces of coal. They are handy for me, as the stove I have is massive and I was burning a lot of coal so now I start the stove off with Ovoids and then 3/4 shovels of the singles on top of the fire when it is going, makes it burn longer and last longer. Just my opinion. But I wouldn’t use them on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Am using staffords economy coal in a light blue bag n very happy with it. E14.50 a bag, lasts well, good heat n no crap left in the grate in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

The singles don't burn very fast and you do get left with some balls of rubbish in the grate but the heat off them is good for the price if I want a good flame off them I just give it lots off air and you get the flame . With the singles I use about a bag a week and the doubles about a bag and a half. More hassle I think using the singles and more difficult to get to burn right but price can't be better. Each to their own

supertherm ovoids are going grand for me and a bag lasts 2 weeks with a few blocks thrown in, no flame just red glowing heat and feck all left in the grate so a super job
    fella up the road is peddling his €7 for 20kg of household coal and its still the same black stones he had last year but its selling mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Stafford Clarke fuels in Rathnew are doing an offer collected
    3 x 40kg superglo extra( there ovoids) with 1 x 20kg bag free and 2 fire logs for €54.

So if you buy 7 offers that's equivalent of 24 and a half 40kg bags with 14 fire logs for €378

they will also do equivalent offer for same price with 20kg bags 6 20kg with one free and 2 firelogs €54 handy for collecting yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

OmegaGene wrote:
    supertherm ovoids are going grand for me and a bag lasts 2 weeks with a few blocks thrown in, no flame just red glowing heat and feck all left in the grate so a super job

How many hours per day do you have the fire/stove lighting. I'm guessing this is in addition to oil or gas heating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

The 2 pallets of ovids I bought last September are gone. I ordered another 2 pallets Tuesday afternoon and was delivered by warde groupage this morning.

As for the price €300 or £250 a pallet with a free bale of brickets. Delivery was€75 per pallet

It's a fair bit more that last year. Saving about €4.50 per 40kg bag. It's an ok saving but if it jumps again I will just buy local

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

pm. wrote: »
    The 2 pallets of ovids I bought last September are gone. I ordered another 2 pallets Tuesday afternoon and was delivered by warde groupage this morning.

As for the price €300 or £250 a pallet with a free bale of brickets. Delivery was€75 per pallet

It's a fair bit more that last year. Saving about €4.50 per 40kg bag. It's an ok saving but if it jumps again I will just buy local

Yeah it's gone up too much for my liking. There was a time it was a bargain, and I didn't mind lugging 25 x 40kg bags from outside my gate. But now I can get the same for €370 local and the guy stacks them for me up by my shed. What really finished me was my last delivery from CW had that muck black diamond which was horrible to burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yeah it's gone up too much for my liking. There was a time it was a bargain, and I didn't mind lugging 25 x 40kg bags from outside my gate. But now I can get the same for €370 local and the guy stacks them for me up by my shed. What really finished me was my last delivery from CW had that muck black diamond which was horrible to burn.

One of the advantages though is that you can get your coal in 20 or 25kg bags. Thats almost worth paying extra for the inconvenience of being able to move them more easily.

my3cents wrote: »
    One of the advantages though is that you can get your coal in 20 or 25kg bags. Thats almost worth paying extra for the inconvenience of being able to move them more easily.

You're right to a certain extent, but it never really worked out very well for me. I got about 6 pallets from the CW in total. I got the 40kg bags and the 25kg. The second pallet I got I wasn't home, I got home and the driver had reversed in and knocked down the telephone cable, it was an accident so in future I made a point of trying to be home but no one other driver attempted to reverse in. They told me the angle was too tight so they just put the pallet on the road outside my gate. There problem there is the road is pretty narrow, so I had to get the bags off the pallet ASAP as cars were squeezing past the pallet. I was knackered and half dead after it. I put up with that when it was cheaper but after I got the bad black diamond stuff I was really annoyed and just never ordered again after that. I then was recommended a local supplier and for 370 I get a ton of ovoids (25 x 40kg) delivered. Much easier for me for near the same price and the the ovoids are very similar and very good too.

How many hours per day do you have the fire/stove lighting. I'm guessing this is in addition to oil or gas heating.

12-14 hours a day and the heating is on downstairs for an hour in the morning while the stoves lights

You're right to a certain extent, but it never really worked out very well for me. I got about 6 pallets from the CW in total. I got the 40kg bags and the 25kg. The second pallet I got I wasn't home, I got home and the driver had reversed in and knocked down the telephone cable, it was an accident so in future I made a point of trying to be home but no one other driver attempted to reverse in. They told me the angle was too tight so they just put the pallet on the road outside my gate. There problem there is the road is pretty narrow, so I had to get the bags off the pallet ASAP as cars were squeezing past the pallet. I was knackered and half dead after it. I put up with that when it was cheaper but after I got the bad black diamond stuff I was really annoyed and just never ordered again after that. I then was recommended a local supplier and for 370 I get a ton of ovoids (25 x 40kg) delivered. Much easier for me for near the same price and the the ovoids are very similar and very good too.

Don't talk to me about drivers. First one refused to even come down my road had to drive over half a mile up the road to where he dropped toff but subsequent drivers with the same sized wagons have had no problem. One did offer to try and reverse down my drive but that would have been a recipe for disaster. 40 25kg bags dropped at the end of my drive is fine by me. 40kg bags are just too much trouble to move.

Local guys just do 40kg bags and I have to pick up myself so with delivery and the smaller bags its still worth it for me.

OmegaGene wrote:
    12-14 hours a day and the heating is on downstairs for an hour in the morning while the stoves lights

A half a bag a week for 12-14 hours a day ???

A half a bag a week for 12-14 hours a day ???

Yes, combined with a few rekord coal briquettes and a few blocks of timber, I’m saving a fortune over an open fire

I go through a half 40kg bag a day between the range and open fire. Use about 3 pallets a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yes, combined with a few rekord coal briquettes and a few blocks of timber, I’m saving a fortune over an open fire

so 20kg of coal 20kg of briquettes and 20kg of timber

All depends on KW of the stove

• Advertisement

so 20kg of coal 20kg of briquettes and 20kg of timber

All depends on KW of the stove

I use 3 briquettes and two or three logs, my stove is small but it heats the whole house, I’m saving a fortune compared to the open fire we had

OmegaGene wrote:

Don't know how you manage it but fair play. Takes me two bags of coal a week plus timber to heat my house. In fact when I add it all up I may as well burn oil.

Don't know how you manage it but fair play. Takes me two bags of coal a week plus timber to heat my house. In fact when I add it all up I may as well burn oil.

Kinda similar but I find the solid fuel gives out tons more heat than the oil. Maybe it is only my situation but when I moved into the house, the range I have was an oil range. I'd have it on for 4 hours and honestly it would only take the chill out of the air on a really cold night. I then found out, the range used to be solid fuel and it was converted to oil. I paid 500 euro to get it changed back to solid fuel. Obviously the hassle is terrible, flicking a switch with the oil to having to light the range and look after it, but the heat with the solid fuel was 5 fold over the oil. I wish I didn't have to light fires each day but for the heat it's worth it, for me anyway.

Kinda similar but I find the solid fuel gives out tons more heat than the oil. Maybe it is only my situation but when I moved into the house, the range I have was an oil range. I'd have it on for 4 hours and honestly it would only take the chill out of the air on a really cold night. I then found out, the range used to be solid fuel and it was converted to oil. I paid 500 euro to get it changed back to solid fuel. Obviously the hassle is terrible, flicking a switch with the oil to having to light the range and look after it, but the heat with the solid fuel was 5 fold over the oil. I wish I didn't have to light fires each day but for the heat it's worth it, for me anyway.

You can call me mad but I think you get a different type of heat with solid fuel. I know that sounds stupid but in the room with the stove I always feel its warmer because the air is much drier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The heat seems exceptionally dry from stoves. Often used to see saucers of water near them years ago.

I'd love to be rich enough to find out if those Tulikivi 4 tonne monstrosities are as good as they say they are with radiant heat.

Roen wrote: »
    The heat seems exceptionally dry from stoves. Often used to see saucers of water near them years ago.

I'd love to be rich enough to find out if those Tulikivi 4 tonne monstrosities are as good as they say they are with radiant heat.

Had to google Tulikivi - glad I did interesting stoves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The big ones are something else alright. Load em up once and then come back 24hrs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What does Brexit mean for coal prices?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What does Brexit mean for coal prices?

Where does your coal come from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Where does your coal come from ?

From coal ware house for the last two or three years.

Advertisement