Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Well she's not wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

In the aftermath of this accident, the Muslim and LGBT communities must now unite to defeat the NRA once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-36516378

I dont know if this belongs in the left wing or religious right, considering they agree with each other, but for "different" reasons, here it goes anyway.

New muslim mayor of London Sadiq Kahn, bans scantily clad images of women on the grounds of "body shaming" or some such spurious reasoning. Islamists and Feminists hold hands(figuratively of course, both have an aversion to physical contact with the opposite sex) and rejoice! No more shall their sensibilities be offended! Womens bodies are disgusting!

_89959297_pa-22855052.jpg

"..the Advertising Standards Agency (ASA) watchdog later ruled the advert depicting a bikini-clad female model was neither offensive nor irresponsible."

More liberal, more tolerant? I think not. Theocratic and repressive speech codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

More liberal, more tolerant?

More liberal means more tolerant, unless you're redefining either word.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    More liberal means more tolerant, unless you're redefining either word.
    Strictly speaking, yes. But not when it comes to being tolerant of intolerance.
    A tolerance for islamic homophobia is often characteristic of non-islamic liberals and feminists, oddly enough.

silverharp wrote: »

I teach the Constitution for a living. I revere the document when it is used to further social justice and make our country a more inclusive one. I admire the Founders for establishing a representative democracy that has survived for over two centuries.

But sometimes we just have to acknowledge that the Founders and the Constitution are wrong. This is one of those times. We need to say loud and clear: The Second Amendment must be repealed.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-its-time-to-repeal-the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613#ixzz4BXuBeduV

Leftists out in full force.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Christy42

I teach the Constitution for a living. I revere the document when it is used to further social justice and make our country a more inclusive one. I admire the Founders for establishing a representative democracy that has survived for over two centuries.

But sometimes we just have to acknowledge that the Founders and the Constitution are wrong. This is one of those times. We need to say loud and clear: The Second Amendment must be repealed.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-its-time-to-repeal-the-second-amendment-right-bear-arms-20160613#ixzz4BXuBeduV

Leftists out in full force.

Is there an issue with this statement? A document written 200 years ago isn't 100% accurate of the current times but we can still take the good bits from it.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Is there an issue with this statement? A document written 200 years ago isn't 100% accurate of the current times but we can still take the good bits from it.

He "reveres" the constitution, but only the parts where he can read "social justice and inclusivity" into it, in essence he only wants the parts that reflect his moralism and group activism. If you do that, in short order, the constitution would cease to exist, shredded by the moralists of every era, rights prey to the whim of the moral majority.

He "reveres" the constitution, but only the parts where he can read "social justice and inclusivity" into it, in essence he only wants the parts that reflect his moralism and group activism. If you do that, in short order, the constitution would cease to exist, shredded by the moralists of every era, rights prey to the whim of the moral majority.

Shocking. Morals have changed throughout time.
    Anyone who thinks the founding fathers of the US got it all right needs to double check a few things. Never got the American trait of attributing near divinity to the founding fathers (well ok we had it here but are getting over it). We can appreciate what the likes of Pearse or Franklin did without saying they were right about everything.

• Advertisement

If the guy had slit the throats of 50 LGBT people, nobody could blame the NRA or the second amendment.
    Who would the blinkered ones blame then? The kitchen and hardware shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Slitting 50 peoples throats would have been a much more difficult undertaking.

recedite wrote: »
    If the guy had slit the throats of 50 LGBT people, nobody could blame the NRA or the second amendment.

He would have been stopped long before murdering 49 people and less people would have died.

What might you use an assault rifle for?

Qs wrote: »
    Slitting 50 peoples throats would have been a much more difficult undertaking.
    A highly trained operative could make a good stab at it.

What might you use an assault rifle for?
    Me? Nothing.
    Anyway, sometimes these frenzied attacks by nutters are foiled by gun totin' citizens.

Me? Nothing.
    Anyway, sometimes these frenzied attacks by nutters are foiled by gun totin' citizens.

Hardly a fair comparison / question so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A highly trained operative could make a good stab at it.

At this point, this thread should be renamed to "Alt-right nucases say the dumbest things" because this is just idiotic.

Anyone who thinks the founding fathers of the US got it all right needs to double check a few things. Never got the American trait of attributing near divinity to the founding fathers (well ok we had it here but are getting over it). We can appreciate what the likes of Pearse or Franklin did without saying they were right about everything.

And I think rights should be held above the grasping claws of the moral majority of the day. After the first is gone, the same crowd will be after the second, there is a groundswell of activists already lobbying against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Links234 wrote: »
    At this point, this thread should be renamed to "Alt-right nucases say the dumbest things" because this is just idiotic.
    No one is forcing you to read or post on this thread.
    If you think it's ridiculous and idiotic then just ignore it.
    It seems yourself and one or two other posters just can't stand any criticism of left wing ideology.

Maybe start a thread in feedback and we can all discuss it there.

• Advertisement

It seems yourself and one or two other posters just can't stand any criticism of left wing ideology.

What criticism? Crap like this and the above posted I quoted is total idiocy, and I'm calling it out for the callous moronic statement it is:

Criticism of left wing ideology my arse :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A tolerance for islamic homophobia is often characteristic of non-islamic liberals and feminists, oddly enough.
    Only for the weird self-serving sense of "liberal" used by the likes of Mr McKevitt of Alive! fame, Ted Cruz, Bill O'Reilly and other low-end shock jocks.

The rest of us generally try to use the word properly :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/firing-ar-15-horrifying-dangerous-loud-article-1.2673201

"What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud"

"The recoil bruised my shoulder. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary case of PTSD. For at least an hour after firing the gun just a few times, I was anxious and irritable."

Transcending beta male, we have the omega male, pure leftism in pale, quivering and doughy flesh form. Fear and pain permanently etched upon his visage, he tries in vain to make sense of a world that assaults his every sensory node, then he remembers its 2016, he doesnt need logic or coherent thought, he has a safe space he can retreat to. His still shaking fingers begin to type #BanAllAssaultDeathMachines #Hillary2016. He exhales and sighs with relief as the red wine and xanex kicks in...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

These posts are becoming bizarre.

Roll on the Trump/Putin axis, eh?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    These posts are becoming bizarre.

Becoming? Have you been reading the forum lately? This utter nonsense is par the course.

A horrific mass shooting, and the bullet-clutchers are out crying "Won't someone please think of the guns!" and making absurd mental gymnastics and leaps of faith in order to avoid the reality that had these shooters not been able to purchase the weapons they used to commit mass murder, scores of people would still be alive today.

Australia data shows gun controls a huge success 20 years after mass shootin
    The chances of being murdered by a gun in Australia plunged to 0.15 per 100,000 people in 2014 from 0.54 per 100,000 people in 1996, a decline of 72 percent, a Reuters analysis of Australian Bureau of Statistics figures showed.

In 1996, Australia had 311 murders, of which 98 were with guns. In 2014, with the population up from about 18 million to 23 million, Australia had 238 murders, of which 35 were with guns.

It was the April 28, 1996, shooting deaths by a lone gunman of 35 people in and around a cafe at a historic former prison colony in Tasmania that prompted the government to buy back or confiscate a million firearms and make it harder to buy new ones.

The country has had no mass shootings since.

But according to some on this forum, easy access to assault weapons has no bearing on these mass shootings, because according to the top minds around here a "highly trained operative" could just as easily slit the throats of the same number of people. A highly trained operative for crying out loud... That's a statement that can only be described as utterly moronic, it is simply not in touch with reality, and in no way can be considered a rational thought, I don't care how many kills you can get on COD with a knife, we're talking about the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The idea that a 250 year old document can be a perfect blueprint for a modern society is almost as idiotic as the idea that a 2000 year old document can be that also.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

What criticism? Crap like this and the above posted I quoted is total idiocy, and I'm calling it out for the callous moronic statement it is:

Criticism of left wing ideology my arse :rolleyes:
    The criticism running all the way through this thread.
    You seem to be opposed to this threads existence.
    Questioning why it's open, mocking the OP and looking for it's name to be changed.
    If it upsets you that much avoid it or discuss your grievances in feedback, as per the MOD instruction.

My posts here really seem to have offended you, you seem opposed to their existence, if they upset you maybe you should just avoid this thread or discuss your grievances elsewhere, it seems like you and other posters just can't handle criticism of right-wing ideology. See how little that accomplishes? It's an odd, almost duplicitous reasoning that suggests that someone should be silent or remove themselves from a discussion rather than criticizing another, with the allegation that said criticism is in itself an attempt to silence. I'd like to remind you that free speech doesn't mean freedom from speech, and if someone posts something as incomprehensibly stupid as what recedite has, they open themselves up to countering points of view, in this case it's having their post called out for what it is. Also, you do realize I'm not actually looking for the thread's name to be changed, right? You do get it was a specious suggestion to make a point?

PS. The OP of this thread was a religious nut and a very, very mockable chap indeed. ;)

My posts here really seem to have offended you, you seem opposed to their existence, if they upset you maybe you should just avoid this thread or discuss your grievances elsewhere, it seems like you and other posters just can't handle criticism of right-wing ideology. See how little that accomplishes? It's an odd, almost duplicitous reasoning that suggests that someone should be silent or remove themselves from a discussion rather than criticizing another, with the allegation that said criticism is in itself an attempt to silence. I'd like to remind you that free speech doesn't mean freedom from speech, and if someone posts something as incomprehensibly stupid as what recedite has, they open themselves up to countering points of view, in this case it's having their post called out for what it is. Also, you do realize I'm not actually looking for the thread's name to be changed, right? You do get it was a specious suggestion to make a point?

PS. The OP of this thread was a religious nut and a very, very mockable chap indeed. ;)

There is an equally looney thread in this same forum that deals with this. Perhaps you might care for that a bit more?

It's extraordinarily rare that anyone asks for that thread to be closed / renamed / severely moderated etc, perhaps most understand that both 'wings' of society (if we really choose to define them like that) are as prone to madness as each other.

And that drawing attention to fringe opinions, drawing them out into the open for discussion, and showing them up to be Fools Gold is extremely beneficial to us all.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99553008&postcount=1440

FWIW, I've questioned the logic of recedite above, without any need for hyperbole or appeal to emotion. I can't see the use of 'Self-Agitation' when it comes to debate, yet it seems to pop up in this thread frequently enough. A group used to using logic and reason to defend their position (Agnostics) should probably aim to extend those tools elsewhere when possible, and not resort to what we correctly point out as fallacies in other's arguments.

Here is a similar post I've had to write to another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Really? IIRC he regularly professed his non-belief, but wouldn't be the first and certainly won't be the last to employ 'mental reservation for Jeebus' in here...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement