Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yeah, Poe's Law comes to mind with that kind of nuttery. White people doing yoga is not exactly blackface or The Big Bang Theory :pac:, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^^^
    Milo is doing a lot of triggering lol

Yoga should be banned , huff post ok with everyone here ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-terrell/white-people-should-be-ba_b_10231840.html

Cant.....tell....if satire......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Just to be on the safe side, I only wear the traditional Irish orange kilt. None of yer foreign trouser type garments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matthew-terrell/white-people-should-be-ba_b_10231840.html

It's difficult to tell if this is supposed to be taken seriously or not!

The article does link to an Everyday Feminism article (one of my favourite sites to point and laugh at, those Feminist Comics are a hoot): http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/05/yoga-cultural-appropriation/

So, it's supposed to be serious right? I will assume it's serious.

"The only way to end systemic racism and insensitive problematics is to force everyone to stick to their own race when it comes to the clothes we wear, the food we eat, the art we appreciate, and the life we live."

Wouldn't this attitude perpetuate systematic racism rather than end it?

"Any sort of racial mixing is verboten."

Nope. This is DEFINITELY supposed to be a joke.

On the other hand... http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foodie-without-appropriation/ They aren't joking, right?

"Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed. The dominant culture can try the food and love the food without ever having to experience oppression because of their consumption."

The history of Yoga goes back thousands of years and the history of India is very, very, complicated. It's not like there was noting going on until the British showed up in 1700 and suddenly the people were experiencing colonisation or oppression for the first time ever.

Some Americans have this bizarre idea that the world was all rainbows and unicorns until "The White Man" showed up and destroyed everything. It's just not true.

How do we determine who has been systematically oppressing who?

What kind of time scales are we talking about? If my great great grandfather was oppressing your great great grandfather when will we be able to let bygones be bygones and just get over it? Or am I not allowed to eat your cultures food because my ancestors were on the wrong side of history?

Do you have to go all the way back to the beginning of recorded history or can you say, for example, that the Germans invaded France in 1940 so German people are henceforth banned from consuming any products, or participating in any activities, that are recognised as being quintessentially French.

I don't like how these people refer to "South Asia" or "Africa" as if these areas are just one big homogeneous, uniform, block. No. Asia and Africa, just like Europe, have a very long and complex history of war, oppression, slavery, genocide and all that bad stuff.

It's not as simple as saying someone is "African" or "Asian". Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai. They aren't just "Asian". They all have very distinctive and very rich cultures. For people who seem to care so much about peoples ethnicity and culture, that kind of simplifies or minimises identity, doesn't it?

America is weird. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

^^^^

Is this a joke? I presume this is some kind of ironic article? Also, someone ought to teach him the difference between there and their.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

MrPudding wrote: »
    Is this a joke? I presume this is some kind of ironic article? Also, someone ought to teach him the difference between there and their.

MrP

probably the logic is, if it goes down well its legit, if it creates a sh1tstrom , "guys you take things way too seriously , of course it was tongue in cheek"

I always thought the point of parody was to take an unexpected position and push it to the extreme not parody position you align with , also given that the huff post has several pages of articles on "cultural appropriation" , it looks like it fits right in

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/cultural-appropriation/

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Yoga is a centuries old tradition of mindfulness, with physical practice only one part of the system. Unless you grew up Indian, learning these ancient traditions of your own people, using the sacred objects in their intended manner, you should not be allowed to practice “yoga” as trendy yuppie moms call it.

Hmm, I think I've heard that before somewhere...

http://www.dailyedge.ie/donegal-yoga-ban-1560610-Jul2014/

Also:
    http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/07/10/no-no-no-dont-get-me-wrong-wearing-yoga-pants-is-fine-backtracks-donegal-priest/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

^^^^

The phrase "Don't feed the trolls" comes to mind when he pops up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrPudding wrote: »
    Is this a joke? I presume this is some kind of ironic article?
    No idea. I'm with PopePalatine above and calling a Poe on this.

The phrase "Don't feed the trolls" comes to mind when he pops up.

Milo wouldn't be half as well known if it wasn't for the tantrums against him. why they havnt figured that out is beyond me.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

probably the logic is, if it goes down well its legit, if it creates a sh1tstrom , "guys you take things way too seriously , of course it was tongue in cheek"
    Similar to certain feminists who openly describe themselves as misandrists, but if someone called them on it they'd say they're using ironic.
    The options are agree with me or "it's just a prank bro".
    Milo wouldn't be half as well known if it wasn't for the tantrums against him. why they havnt figured that out is beyond me.
    It's like people who get wound up and start threads about Katie Hopkins.
    All they have to do is ignore her and they win.
    In these cases I suspect it more to do with wanting a world where you don't have to hear opinions that you don't like.

Halfway through the 4mins in, just after about people being sick of being shouted down by someone yelling "das wayciss", he is interrupted by someone yelling "haaaaaate speech", then she is drowned out with glorious chants of "build the wall" I would almost think they are plants by Milo, they drop in at such opportune moments

Its mind boggling, what do they think screaming and throwing a tantrum in addition to their calls to end free speech will accomplish?

This woman/girl/child is so triggered in her attempts to block entrance to the venue that she literally has a mental breakdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

orubiru wrote: »
    It's difficult to tell if this is supposed to be taken seriously or not!

I suppose it is telling that we are not sure such wild garbage is treated as being serious. Such is the depths that these people stoop to. Id have no problem with the west giving up yoga so long as the rest of the world gives up things like democracy, modern medicine and the internet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

recedite wrote: »
    Just to be on the safe side, I only wear the traditional Irish orange kilt. None of yer foreign trouser type garments.

As I was once gruffly told, it's not orange it's saffron. The colour which shall not be mentioned is a foreign imposition :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Surely not saffron, that would be an unforgivable cultural appropriation from the wardrobe of Buddhist monks :eek:

Someone got triggered at the mini-"marathon".

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/run-like-you-left-the-immersion-on-everyday-sexism-and-the-mini-marathon-1.2677199
    On three occasions I was exposed to what what I would consider sexism in the form of “motivational” slogans: “Run like you left the immersion on!”, “The N11 never looked so good!” and “Don’t worry, ladies, the hair still looks gorgeous!”

The first two slogans appeared in fabric stretched across the footbridge of the Stillorgan dual-carriageway.

The latter was shouted by a member of the Order of Malta. To my astonishment, most women around me did not find fault with any of these slogans.

In fact, they cheered on the troglodyte and seemed genuinely validated by his creepy flattery.

Are the old concepts of our worth as women so embedded into the female Irish psyche that comments such as these automatically elicit a positive response of appreciation or, at the very least, an embarrassed smile? The simple answer is yes.

Finding fault with supposed sexism at an event which is inherently sexist - clearly this writer doesn't do irony.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

"To my astonishment, most women around me did not find fault with any of these slogans. In fact, they cheered on the troglodyte and seemed genuinely validated by his creepy flattery.

Why is it that men and women of this country continue to deny the presence of institutionalised sexism?"

Headbanger stuff.

Someone got triggered at the mini-"marathon".

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/run-like-you-left-the-immersion-on-everyday-sexism-and-the-mini-marathon-1.2677199

Finding fault with supposed sexism at an event which is inherently sexist - clearly this writer doesn't do irony.

In defence of the women's mini marathon, I cannot agree that it is an inherently sexist event.

If it were a mixed event then the majority of the people there would be men. The first 10 people or so crossing the finish line would be men. The first couple of thousand finishers would be mostly men with a few of the more talented women finishing in amongst that lot. It doesn't really seem "fair" at all.

Having a women's only event gives female competitors an opportunity to shine and show what they can do.

Could you imagine if the just made all the events at the Olympics open to all genders instead of having separate men's and women's events? The women would barely be represented, if they were even represented at all.

I cannot agree with the event being called a "mini marathon" but I totally support the fact that it's an event for women only.

About the article though? Urgh. It's just awful.

Sorry folks but I've seen signs with messages like "run like you've left the immersion/gas/oven on" at a large percentage of running events I've participated in. It's just a standard joke, really.

I'm not seeing the sexism here. Same with the other slogans.

The whole "mini marathon" event seems like a really good time. It's often a really nice day with great weather and all of the ladies seem to have a great day out.

There's a buzz about the town and a lot of excitement on the day of the mini marathon and yet here you have people like the writer of this article who are just 100% determined to be miserable and to try and drag others into arguments to justify that miserable outlook on life.

I am sure that the person shouting “Don’t worry, ladies, the hair still looks gorgeous!” did not mean any harm by that and I am not even sure how a pretty harmless shout like that could unintentionally cause harm.

This is an example of the kind of person that makes Feminism seem like such a toxic movement.

The latter was shouted by a member of the Order of Malta. To my astonishment, most women around me did not find fault with any of these slogans.

Those who expend effort seeking out 'offence' to take will almost certainly find it.

Wouldn't a troglodyte be a sexist term?

• Advertisement

FA Hayek wrote: »
    Wouldn't a troglodyte be a sexist term?

a bit of cultural appropriation going on there too and a bit racist against pre-existing primitive societies . Definitely should be checking her privilege

The author is having a debate in the comments section of the Irish Times website. Most of them are ripping her a new one. It seems to me she has written this article just for kicks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.irishcatholic.ie/article/political-protests-trump-visit-just-%E2%80%98virtue-signalling%E2%80%99
    Mary Kenny, in The Irish Catholic, writes:

… But the people of Doonbeg, seem to have no objection to Mr Trump’s visit as a businessman. They acknowledge the many millions of Euros he has invested in Trump International Golf Links and Hotel, the environmental sea-wall against the Atlantic he plans to build, and the employment opportunities he has provided.

Catholics supporting Trump...sigh

FA Hayek wrote: »
    The author is having a debate in the comments section of the Irish Times website. Most of them are ripping her a new one. It seems to me she has written this article just for kicks.
    At least she is responding and the comment section is open, which is rare for the IT, plus they gets all those clicks.

If it were a mixed event then the majority of the people there would be men.

Citation needed.
    The first 10 people or so crossing the finish line would be men. The first couple of thousand finishers would be mostly men with a few of the more talented women finishing in amongst that lot. It doesn't really seem "fair" at all.

:rolleyes: Maybe you could make the men wear ankle weights, or something...
    Having a women's only event gives female competitors an opportunity to shine and show what they can do.

Fine, if we also shut down the city for an equivalent men-only 10k, but we don't - and I can't imagine anyone in officialdom/politics entertaining the notion of a men-only mass participation event at all.

Cabaal wrote: »

Mary was (perhaps still is?) apparently much better when 'discussing Uganda' :pac:

Citation needed.

:rolleyes: Maybe you could make the men wear ankle weights, or something...

Fine, if we also shut down the city for an equivalent men-only 10k, but we don't - and I can't imagine anyone in officialdom/politics entertaining the notion of a men-only mass participation event at all.

"I can't imagine anyone in officaldom/poltics entertaining the notion of a men-only mass participation event at all".

Oops.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71777253

ARC Men's Mini Marathon 2011. Not a lot of interest it seems.

Double Oops.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78561087

ARC Men's Mini Marathon 2012. Again, not much interest.

Seems like the race was discontinued after 2012 due to lack of interest?

Actually I have no citation for the running demographics. Maybe women do run more.

However, if it turns out that the majority of runners are indeed women then I stand by my comment that the vast majority of the fastest finishers would be male.

Simply put, a mixed race is not competitive for women because they have basically no chance of finishing first. The first female in last years Dublin Marathon was only in 16th place overall and there were only 6 women in the top 50.

Having a women's only race allows the ladies to compete with each other and allows them to compete on a level playing field. It's a bit rubbish when the first woman to cross the finish line is the 16th finisher overall.

Sure, I look forward to seeing how the Irish women's team performs at the Euros in Fran- oh wait. Ah well maybe we can see how the female members of the squads do in the GAA Hurling fina- oh wait.

Sport is largely dominated by men. Putting in the time, effort and funding to give the ladies an opportunity gets the thumbs up from me, and I would consider myself to be quite anti-feminist when it comes down to it.

That's because it has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with creating "divisions" in sport that allow people to participate and compete at an appropriate level.

I honestly don't see the need for a "men only" running event as by the time the first woman crosses the finish in a mixed event all of the competitive men had already finished the race. In terms of actually winning the race it is already a men's event.

If someone sets up a "mens only" event I kind of feel like the reaction would be "why even bother, 80 - 90% of the top 100 finishers in a mixed event are going to be men anyway"?

The only place you can see a woman crossing the finish line first would be in a "women only" event.

Honestly, if you think that the women's mini marathon is a sexist event then I think you are looking a wee bit too hard for sexism and making yourself look a little foolish at the same time.

And FFS folks the whole event is set up to raise money for charity, to get a bit of buzz and excitement going and to encourage women to take up some exercise. Jeez.

I cannot agree that the event is sexist in any way at all. Might as well just say that the men's 100 meters and the women's 100 meters at the Olympics are sexist events.

Simply put, a mixed race is not competitive for women because they have basically no chance of finishing first. The first female in last years Dublin Marathon was only in 16th place overall and there were only 6 women in the top 50.

Having a women's only race allows the ladies to compete with each other and allows them to compete on a level playing field. It's a bit rubbish when the first woman to cross the finish line is the 16th finisher overall.
    In the full marathon different categories have different starts eg wheelchair users, elite women, elite men etc.. so that they are competing against their own category while also all being in the one big event. So this is a much more inclusive event than one held just for "women".
    I have no problem at all with the womens mini marathon being inherently sexist, but lets call a spade a spade here.

recedite wrote: »
    In the full marathon different categories have different starts eg wheelchair users, elite women, elite men etc.. so that they are competing against their own category while also all being in the one big event. So this is a much more inclusive event than one held just for "women".
    I have no problem at all with the womens mini marathon being inherently sexist, but lets call a spade a spade here.

Or lets just say "sexism" is bull****, saying a gender segregated event that is segregated due to biological inferiority, is "sexist" is nonsense, dont get into playing the "everything is sexist" game, just call it all out for the bull**** it is.

"I can't imagine anyone in officaldom/poltics entertaining the notion of a men-only mass participation event at all".

Oops.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71777253

ARC Men's Mini Marathon 2011. Not a lot of interest it seems.

Double Oops.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78561087

ARC Men's Mini Marathon 2012. Again, not much interest.

Seems like the race was discontinued after 2012 due to lack of interest?

I stand (slightly) corrected.
    A lot of dead links in those posts, but the route appears to have been confined within the Phoenix Park.
    They did not shut down much of the city centre for a men-only event like they did for the women's one.
    Seems from looking at the threads in the athletics forum, the men 10k runners take it fairly seriously and the joggers/walkers would have a crack at the actual marathon. Male ego at work there :)

The actual marathon, the event open to ALL unlike the 'mini-marathon'.
    There still has been no satisfactory answer as to why that single-sex 10k event isn't open to all.
    All that stuff about the men ruining it by finishing first is ridiculous nonsense, the full marathon is open to men and women and has any woman ever complained about that, and why would they anyway? They award medals to the best men, medals to the best women, medals to the best wheelchair athletes, etc. Everyone is happy. Nobody is looking to exclude others from the race for some spurious reason or other.

So what?? The vast majority of people who participate are glad just to finish if it's their first one, if they've done it before they might want to beat their previous time, but they're not hoping for a gold medal.

And FFS folks the whole event is set up to raise money for charity, to get a bit of buzz and excitement going and to encourage women to take up some exercise. Jeez.

It's men who need to exercise more due to greater risk of heart disease etc, why exclude them?
    I cannot agree that the event is sexist in any way at all. Might as well just say that the men's 100 meters and the women's 100 meters at the Olympics are sexist events.

Again you're making nonsensical comparisions between a fun run and the Olympics.
    Professional sport is not sexist if the same events are available for men and women, the events are separate because they are competitive, not fun runs. The level of public interest in men's professional sport vs. women's, well - you can lead a horse to water and all that. Women's sports getting more media and TV coverage is a good thing but the viewing figures for men's sports are still way higher. Again irrelevant to a fun run though.

It would be sexist if women were not allowed to compete in certain sports e.g. there was no women's marathon in the Olympics for a long time.

• Advertisement

The always brilliant Laurie Penny, on the Islamic attack on the gay bar in Florida that ended with over fifty dead.
    https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/742010536083238912

CkwyjE_WEAAnpr1.jpg:large

Advertisement