Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fully Baked Left Wing Vegan Cookies

Options

Comments

School bans clapping and allows students ‘silent cheers’ or air punching but only when teachers agree

Wtf goes through some people's heads?

Also this annoyed me more to be honest.
    The ban follows a direction at exclusive Cheltenham Girls High School in northwest Sydney for teachers to avoid discrimination and support LGBTI students by avoiding the words “girls”, “ladies” or “women”.

"Could All the gir.., sorry wom.... no no. What are we allowed? Could all the ladi... ****. Could anyone without a penis please go to Room 6 for the introduction to your puberty lesson? Thank you"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"Could All the gir.., sorry wom.... no no. What are we allowed? Could all the ladi... ****. Could anyone without a penis please go to Room 6 for the introduction to your puberty lesson? Thank you"

That's going to be a bit triggering for a victim of a circumcision accident...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I was in Colombia twice in the last year and saw plenty of people with white skin speaking Spanish quite well. And no less a citizen than the governor of Florida, Jeb Bush himself, speaks a few words as well.

Can't see this one ending happily for Ms Rosner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Rosner said the school could have given her the position and had another instructor teach the Spanish component.
    She seems to be relying on the assertion that its an "arts and languages" post, not a "spanish language" teaching post. But given that there seems to be a Hispanic vibe to the school, most of the kids are going to choose Spanish as an easy option, being virtually native speakers anyway. She probably thought she could take the post and just teach the other components, which may or may not have been feasible depending on what other teachers she would be sharing the classes with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

beware the jobsworth

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9105788/Fireman-Sam-creator-detained-at-airport-for-veil-comment-at-security-gate.html

Fireman Sam creator detained at airport for veil comment at security gate
    A retired fireman, and creator of the popular children's character, Fireman Sam, was detained at an airport for questioning why a veiled woman was not checked by security.

As David Jones arrived at the security gates at Gatwick airport, he was looking forward to getting through swiftly so he could enjoy lunch with his daughters before their flight.
    Placing his belongings, including a scarf, into a tray to pass through the X-ray scanner he spotted a Muslim woman in hijab pass through the area without showing her face.
    In a light-hearted aside to a security official who had been assisting him, he said: “If I was wearing this scarf over my face, I wonder what would happen.”
    The quip proved to be a mistake. After passing through the gates, he was confronted by staff and accused of racism.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

racism.

Idiots. Islam is not a race.

Just a coinkydink though that we're now hearing about a page of the world's second most popular work of fiction turning up in aforementioned kids' TV series, or what?!?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Idiots. Islam is not a race.

Just a coinkydink though that we're now hearing about a page of the world's second most popular work of fiction turning up in aforementioned kids' TV series, or what?!?

I'd heard that , brilliant "easter egg" if thats the term.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,160 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

School bans clapping and allows students ‘silent cheers’ or air punching but only when teachers agree

Wtf goes through some people's heads?

Also this annoyed me more to be honest.

You're giving too much credence to the Murdoch press, Emmet. (Why are atheists so credulous? You'd think if anybody should have their critical instincts finely honed, it would be the participants on this board. But apparently not.)

The detail omitted from the story about the school that wanted "silent cheers" at the school assembly was that one of the teaching staff members suffered from a hearing disability which has the result that she finds sudden, loud noises physically painful. As a courtesy to her. students were asked to find other ways to express enthusiasm at all-school assemblies.

Those details are omitted from the story because, if they were included, the story wouldn't work to fuel your sense of angered grievance which sells so many papers, and elects so many socially conservative right-wing politicians.

As for the other story, about the Cheltenham Girls High School banning the use of the word "girl", pause for a moment and ask yourself just how likely that is that a school so named would do that? Or even could do that?

The correct answer, for six points, is that it's not likely at all. The story is a complete fiction. It never occurred. It has "no basis in fact". The (Sydney) Daily Telegraph simply made it up as part of their ongoing odious campaign against the Safe Schools Initiative, a programme which seeks to eliminate bullying on the basis of gender, sexual orientation or sexual identity.

(The Safe Schools Initiative does not involve avoiding gendered language. But a little detail like that would never bother the Telegraph. They know their readers will believe any old sh!te they care to print, so not only can you safely make up stuff, but you can safely make up stuff that doesn't even make sense, and still get away with it.)

Peregrinus wrote: »
    You're giving too much credence to the Murdoch press, Emmet. (Why are atheists so credulous? You'd think if anybody should have their critical instincts finely honed, it would be the participants on this board. But apparently not.)

you are being a bit harsh, this stuff about not clapping is popping up in some universities so it seems plausible so I am not seeing the atheist being gullible angle? it certainly behooves to look for other sources and in this case the story looks like it was deliberately distorted

• Advertisement

Maybe I am being a bit harsh - sorry, Emmet, I'll buy you a pint some time - but, hey, a forum in which people are critical of religious texts but uncritical of what they read in the Murdoch press is not exactly the most favourable presentation of atheism/agnosticism/rationalism/scepticism, is it?

Maybe I am being a bit harsh - sorry, Emmet, I'll buy you a pint some time - but, hey, a forum in which people are critical of religious texts but uncritical of what they read in the Murdoch press is not exactly the most favourable presentation of atheism/agnosticism/rationalism/scepticism, is it?

the big papers have probably had their day anyway , a lot of the good stuff these days is being captured first hand on mobile phones and other social media so might be less likely to be filtered through some click bait hack.

silverharp wrote: »
    the big papers have probably had their day anyway , a lot of the good stuff these days is being captured first hand on mobile phones and other social media so might be less likely to be filtered through some click bait hack.
    Oh, God, no. It's worse than ever. I may be capturing "good stuff" on my mobile phone, but you're never going to know about it unless it's served up to you through some popular social media outlet. That website, and its editors, will decide which mobile phone videos you will see, and what you will be told about what the video shows, where and when it was made, etc. and what you should think about it. Be assured that the news and social media outlets on the internet will be just as biased, just as profit-driven, just as editorially controlled and mediated, as the newspapers and television channels have been.

....bitchslap.......

yup, hook line and sinker

Oh, God, no. It's worse than ever. I may be capturing "good stuff" on my mobile phone, but you're never going to know about it unless it's served up to you through some popular social media outlet. That website, and its editors, will decide which mobile phone videos you will see, and what you will be told about what the video shows, where and when it was made, etc. and what you should think about it. Be assured that the news and social media outlets on the internet will be just as biased, just as profit-driven, just as editorially controlled and mediated, as the newspapers and television channels have been.

I don't disagree but at least its possible to triangulate stuff and I think everyone realises that stories can be distorted. If its anything substantive someone will get to the bottom of it. I prefer the more chaotic news age we are entering than the faith people had in papers 20 years ago pre internet where you were a captive audience

The important thing is to take in a wide breadth of sources.

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~andrei/downloads/echo.pdf

The 'stream' / 'flow' model of news that most people inhale is patently dangerous.

A good dose of Morning Star, followed by Breitbart, before having a glance at the Huffington Post and then RT. Then open The Guardian, then The Telegraph and finally finish with Al Jazeera and The Independent.

Get a good smattering of opinions, don't just listen to ****e you agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

T

A good dose of Morning Star, followed by Breitbart, before having a glance at the Huffington Post and then RT. Then open The Guardian, then The Telegraph and finally finish with Al Jazeera and The Independent.

Get a good smattering of opinions, don't just listen to ****e you agree with.
    393461.jpg

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The detail omitted from the story about the school that wanted "silent cheers" at the school assembly was that one of the teaching staff members suffered from a hearing disability..
    Seems legit. More here.

recedite wrote: »
    Seems legit. More here.

is it good for the kids though? , kids want to be loud and express themselves , why doesn't the teacher just avoid the assemblies?

is it good for the kids though? , kids want to be loud and express themselves , why doesn't the teacher just avoid the assemblies?
    If she's a class teacher, she has to be there with her class. That's how school assemblies work.

• Advertisement

If she's a class teacher, she has to be there with her class. That's how school assemblies work.

they have them in my kids school but the whole junior school would be there so I wouldn't see why an individual teacher would need to be there

also from the article
    “By sitting on the seat, the student is alerting others that they may be lonely. Students are then encouraged to include the student in their play,” it read.

The school hopes the scheme will help create “a friendly, caring and inclusive school environment”.

Im a bit sceptical of these kinds of things, its better for kids to learn that not everyone is going to like them. In my own son's class they weren't allowed to play football for about 6 month because it wasn't "inclusive" , sometimes the teachers should just back off and let the kids find their own niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seems like a good lesson for the kids to be aware of the difficulties others face. Kids can be loud and express themselves at other times (mentioned in the article and also at home).

It also gives kids ownership over a kind act. They are the ones really going through with it. It also seems to discourage clapping as opposed to banning it outright.

I would also point out that while I disagree with your school not allowing football for a few months I fail to see an issue with a lonely chair as it were. It doesn't mean that the entire school will suddenly like this kid but it gives another opportunity for them to help each other. Given the obvious dangers loneliness can cause in later life it is a pretty good thing for them to see that if they are struggling they can reach out and there are people who will help. An important lesson too often ignored in the face of mental health problems.

they have them in my kids school but the whole junior school would be there so I wouldn't see why an individual teacher would need to be there
    Each teacher is in charge of their own class - bringing them in on time, making sure they sit where they should sit, dealing with any issues that arise, taking leadership if the class happens to be performing or participating in the assembly in some special role, getting them out again and back to class.

Plus, there's more than the practicalities involved. The point is that the teacher and the class share in the same experience. And the presence of the teachers as well as the pupils is symbolic.
    Im a bit sceptical of these kinds of things, its better for kids to learn that not everyone is going to like them. In my own son's class they weren't allowed to play football for about 6 month because it wasn't "inclusive" , sometimes the teachers should just back off and let the kids find their own niche.
    Mmm. Development of social skills is one of the most important things a kid learns (or one of the most disastrous things a kid fails to learn) in primary school. So offering them strategies for dealing with their own feelings of isolation, or recognising feelings of isolation in others, is very important. It doesn't particulary have to be this strategy but, yeah, the issue is important. "We musn't talk about it" and "stop bothering other people with your emotional needs" are not the kind of messages we want to indoctrinate in primary school children.

(Plus, if a kid is feeling lonely or neglected, the reason is almost certainly not that "not everybody likes them".)

internet lollypop if you can figure out what his might be about, it seems to be in the same ballpark as a feminist analysis of glaciers :pac:

CrrITXIWEAAzpmo.jpg

[...]hegemonic masculinity is embodied, racialized, and sexualized at work in ways that subordinate feminity
    Nat Burke should contact Fr McKevitt of Alive! and discuss "men no longer being able to man up".

It's a discussion I'd pay good money to hear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fr mckevitt would probably get a bit confused and just fluff the opportunity.

I almost hope the US college system implodes in on itself in a college debt black hole :pac:

something something male and female is a social construct or something

Cr1lgSmXEAAGJJN.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

That appears to be a paper from 2013 on a nonsense topic I really don't understand.

Is that a reason to wish rid of third level education or just the ramblings of one gobsh*te?

Edit just to be clear, I'm calling the author of that paper a gobsh*te, not you silver.

BTW I assume you're getting these papers from @RealPeerReview which is where I came across the following gem [url] https://mobile.twitter.com/RealPeerReview/status/744276511155314688[/url]

BTW I assume you're getting these papers from @RealPeerReview which is where I came across the following gem [url] https://mobile.twitter.com/RealPeerReview/status/744276511155314688[/url]
    Mmmm, there's some great stuff down that tunnel!

"The Gender of Pregnancy: Masculine Lesbians Talk about Reproduction"

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10894160.2012.653766?src=recsys

Is a "masculine lesbian" somebody who feels themselves to be a lesbian, but trapped within the hegemonic patriarchy of a male's body?

• Advertisement

That appears to be a paper from 2013 on a nonsense topic I really don't understand.

Is that a reason to wish rid of third level education or just the ramblings of one gobsh*te?

Edit just to be clear, I'm calling the author of that paper a gobsh*te, not you silver.

im being harsh of course but some of this stuff is getting through an "academic" process. yep its that twitter, comedy gold for sure.

Advertisement